As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reference Advice

y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theoristthe Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
So I had an interview on Thursday, and Friday they asked me for a list of 3-4 references.

I'm at my first real job out of grad school, so I don't have many references except two grad school professors and an ex-coworker. Two of them have gotten back to me and said sure, the third has not answered (though he agreed when I applied to a different job about a year ago).

I'm getting incredibly stressed out because I don't know how much longer I can put off sending it without hurting my chances. Do I send the 2 and tell them the truth, that I'm having trouble getting in touch with my other professor and I will send it along when I can?

There's a second ex-coworker I could ask, but he wasn't in my department and it would be .. I don't know, just not the best person to ask.

What do I do

C8Ft8GE.jpg
maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    If the third person gave the ok last time, throw them on there.

Catch up with them later and let them know, but don't delay sending out the references to the potential employer if they asked you directly for them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Catch up with them later and let them know, but don't delay sending out the references to the potential employer if they asked you directly for them.

Seconding this, with a minor change. Catch up with them as soon as possible and let them know.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Seconding this, with a minor change. Catch up with them as soon as possible and let them know.

This. A professor is very unlikely to deny giving you a reference, especially if they have done so in the past. Summer is just ending and they are probably busy prepping for the new school year and just haven't gotten to your email yet. Definitely get in touch asap though to let them know you went ahead and used them as well as to give them the low down on the job that they are recommending you for.

Also, good luck!

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    2 references is enough. Given that you're fresh out of grad school, it's understandable to not have that many references.

Often, if you have 5+ references on your reference list, only 2 of them will be reached anyway, so I think you're good. Send what you have.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    2 references is enough. Given that you're fresh out of grad school, it's understandable to not have that many references.

Often, if you have 5+ references on your reference list, only 2 of them will be reached anyway, so I think you're good. Send what you have.

except if they want three, then 2 is not enough.

my thought as a professor. If i give someone the ok to use me as a reference, then that will typically just rollover until they don't need it. Yes, it would be nice to get a heads up before hand but if that comes after the fact, a hey by the way i used you would be fine with me.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Update: I sent him in as a reference and just hoped I could contact him before they did. He emailed me today saying sure and good luck, then I got an extra scoop of guacamole from chipotle, then I found $60 in the parking lot.

So all is good. Thanks for the help!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Update: I sent him in as a reference and just hoped I could contact him before they did. He emailed me today saying sure and good luck, then I got an extra scoop of guacamole from chipotle, then I found $60 in the parking lot.

So all is good. Thanks for the help!

Probably the right move in this case, but I did the same thing once and the guy's reference for me was, "Who?"

I still got the job, but my boss jokingly told me a few months later, "You know, when you put someone down as a reference you should make sure they know who you are..."

The other two references were stellar so the third being a bit spacey luckily didn't throw anything off.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment