As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speaking Creole

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
So, I'm looking to develop a cajun/creole accent for an upcoming RPG character and I would like to hear it spoken to try and get the cadence/pronunciation down.
Is there any particularly good examples anywhere? TV Shows, movies, video game characters?

Reading's one thing, I'd like to actually hear it spoken so I can better get a feel for it.

newSig.jpg

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My gut says it's probably not an accurate depiction, but the first thing that came to mind was Gambit from the 90's X-Men cartoon.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Most of the dudes and ladies on the show Swamp People have heavy Cajun accents. I can't remember if it's on History Channel or Discovery.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_English
    Cajun English distinguishes itself with some of the following phonological features:

The deletion of any word's final consonant (or consonant cluster) is common. Therefore, hand becomes [hæ̃], food becomes [fuː], rent becomes [ɹɪ̃], New York becomes [nuˈjɔə], and so on.[1]
    The typical American gliding vowels [oʊ] (as in boat), [eɪ] (as in bait), [ʊu] (as in boot), [aʊ~æʊ] (as in bout), [äɪ] (as in bite), and [ɔɪ] (as in boy) have reduced glides or none at all: respectively, [oː], [eː], [uː], [aː~æː], [äː], and [ɔː]. [1]
    Many vowels which are distinct in General American English are pronounced the same way due to a merger; for example, the words hill and heel are homophones, both being pronounced /hɪɹl/[citation needed].
    Stress is generally placed on the second or last syllable of a word, a feature directly inherited from French.
    The voiceless and voiced alveolar stops /t/ and /d/ often replace dental fricatives, a feature used by both Cajun English speakers and speakers of Louisiana Creole French (Standard French speakers generally render dental fricatives as alveolar). Examples include "bath" being pronounced as "bat" and "they" as "day."
    Cajun English speakers generally do not aspirate the consonants /p/, /t/, or /k/. As a result, the words "par" and "bar" can sound very similar[by whom?].
    The inclusion of many loanwords, calques, and phrases from French, such as "nonc" (uncle, from the French oncle), "cher" (dear, pronounced /ʃæ/, from the French cher), and "making groceries" (to shop for groceries, a calque of the Cajun French faire des groceries (épicerie))

The article has a good bit of depth here.