Options

[TF2] The Crate Depression

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    maybe later created accounts have more numbers for future-proofing reasons

I just got one Sunday when I got the game so I think that checks out.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    I'm playing a buttload of Overwatch as well.

Ah yeah right, sorry; don't have you ingrained as part of the normal TF2 crew in my mind yet.
    turtleant wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »
    How many honc-ers are playing overwatch? I think I might spring for it this weekend and would need to populate my battle.net friends list.

(this should be a steam game)

crash technically owns it but I haven't seen him on, turtle is on PS4 so he doesn't count. after that:
    kupi
    bahamut
    ebo
    walrus
    I think dubh is but I've not seen her around personally, may be on console
    toasty
    some old TF2 guys like tyrannus
    flippy
    bear
    (did kana play TF2? I can't remember)
    and then moi. There's a big ol' list in the overwatch thread op where you can add other forum duders your friends with; if you wanna stick with us I'm EscapeGoat#1913

also I'll try and be around for honcs tomorrow, want to see how my demo aim holds up after so much junkrat.

Hey fuck you I count!

:(

Not for who he can add on b.net! But you'll always count in our hearts <3

Fair enough, it has been a long time since I've been able to HONC.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Yeah I poked around and found the google doc, spammed a bunch of invites to TF2 names I recognized.

Meeeeeeeee

SirToasty#11171

speaking of, why the hell do you have 5 numbers instead of 4? I have 200 bnet friends and I think you're the only one I've seen with that.

I got 5 when I renamed.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    man, did overwatch sell enough the blizz, the maker of WoW, finally decided to up their naming system from 9P4 to 9P5?

...wait, doesn't the number only even matter for people with the same handle?

huh

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it matters to differentiate accounts with the same name but you still need the number to add someone to your friend list directly from the friend list

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    it matters to differentiate accounts with the same name but you still need the number to add someone to your friend list directly from the friend list

well yeah, I know that you need it for that, I'm just wondering why they had to up the number of permutations. I ran the math on wolfram alpha, if I remember how permutations work in even the slightest (hell it might even be combination I'm rusty on this stuff), and it ups it from ~3000 permutations of four numbers 1-9 (do they use 0? I can't remember) to about 15k. So it's like... where they really expecting any one username to hit 3000 accounts?

Maybe it's all the people starting up Reaper accounts or whatever.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've been Overwatching on PC

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant is fucking dead to me

Considering the number of times I've backstabbed you, yeah that checks out.

Hon hon hon.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

well yeah, I know that you need it for that, I'm just wondering why they had to up the number of permutations. I ran the math on wolfram alpha, if I remember how permutations work in even the slightest (hell it might even be combination I'm rusty on this stuff), and it ups it from ~3000 permutations of four numbers 1-9 (do they use 0? I can't remember) to about 15k. So it's like... where they really expecting any one username to hit 3000 accounts?

Maybe it's all the people starting up Reaper accounts or whatever.

it's only really important for the really common names

JohnSmith#XXXX and Sephiroth#XXXX and whatnot, the stuff that's common enough that you might want to prepare for ten thousand people using the same name

or 6562 people, if they really only use 1-9, or 4097 if they're running some weird byte-sized IDs

that's not really that many people when you look at the big picture, really

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    I prefer Steam's method. Everyone has a really long and impossible to remember steam id, which is completely unrelated to your display name that you can change whenever the heck you want.

That way things that need a unique value can use a unique value, and us humans can use names like we're used to.

Advantage: Valve. :rotate:

• Options
    At least your name fits within Blizzard's character limit.

• Options
    Bear is not fitting in text box, how can that be?

• Options
    13 is more than 12.

I'm now just a collection of bears.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    13 is more than 12.

I'm now just a collection of bears.

A minivan full of bears as opposed to an 18 wheel truck full of bears.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Yeah I poked around and found the google doc, spammed a bunch of invites to TF2 names I recognized.

Meeeeeeeee

SirToasty#11171

Also me, SirHeadless#1154

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh#1912

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    it's also honc night, if TF2 is not still murdered by overwatch, I'm gonna hop on

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ERRYBODY BEST HOP ON!

HONC HONC!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I'll be on after dinner

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Aw dang it.

Blame my father for insisting on celebrating his birthday, today.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Well... can't say I really enjoyed my time back in TF2 other than getting to hang with you nerds. Obviously I'm out of practice, but holy shit it feels SO MUCH harder to hit ANYTHING in TF2 than in Overwatch. Like I dropped my sensitivity a bunch and it was just impossible to aim properly. I banked so hard on people just walking into my stickies and arrows until the end when I was just like "alright let me just go regular sniper and see if I can baseline click on people"

and even hitting bodyshots was weirdly difficult! And nevermind headshots, everyone has such tiny heads I don't know how you're supposed to hit them. Like 50% of my bodyshots were neckshots. Iunno.

Also those steel rounds just felt awful. There's just no flow to that map, there's so many routes that connect in really pointless ways that it's jsut people fucking around until the timer gets low enough that they actually congregate on point. Which like, I'm fine with, because TDM is fun, but that map really isn't suited for it because it's a lot of the old CoD feeling of "they turned the corner and saw you first so they win" because it's so random for you to run into anyone anywhere. That's why I like the feeling of KotH and 5CP so much more because there's a general front the fight is being fought in so the fight makes some amount of sense, and when it comes to people surprising you it's mostly spies and sneaky explosive jumpers. Even if the 5CP rounds take forever, does the throughput of matches played matter all that much? Most of the fun is just the dynamic of us running around killing mans, because if winning or losing mattered much we'd see a lot more heavy/medics than we already do.

anyway, that's just some random thoughts. good games tonight c:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash#1547

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I think steel is flows wonderfully once you know the layout well (which obviously you do since you've played it with us a million times), I've had interesting gameplay arise out of every route and side passage

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    5438C83672F20A6F3F4263A2D4262811134E5071
    77B57814F8DA7088D216D17738CB3C4E0ED604F4
    513E31BF38C73449B772324D05A0F8D2F34A6683
    2F97CA46EB9E6A0B00E7C2F0116A7F62E72EA0B3

• Options
    I think steel is flows wonderfully once you know the layout well (which obviously you do since you've played it with us a million times), I've had interesting gameplay arise out of every route and side passage

Like... yeah, I guess. Most of the fun I have on that map is offensive engineer putting teleporters and sentries in stupid spots, but the vast majority of the time it doesn't feel like there isn't any interesting gameplay because nobody in the server is there for that. There's like 6-8 people actively pursuing the point through five different passageways, 4 people focused on flanking as soldier/spy/scout to cap E/destroy sentry nests, and then maybe 2 people not playing the game, or a new player who legitimately has no idea how the map works and just kinda wanders (one of the snipers on red in the last round of steel was very clearly this).

So it's like. What's the point of all the random skirmishing that happens in the hallways between B and E while C is open? Why is there so much fighting in the little passageway that opens up behind A, and especially the huge scale fights that erupt in the D area? If I walk out of Red's C spawn there's like a 50% chance to get immediately confronted with blu players from either side immediately while there's still nobody capping the point.

I have seen Steel flow well before, but that was like when both teams had their game faces on for some reason or another. For just screwing around like it seems we're usually doing it just feels like a giant clusterfuck.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    To be fair, half the attacking team likes to try to sneak around behind the defender's backs, so that's what leads to confrontation in odd areas that aren't the actual points

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pretty much everything I've seen suggests the hit boxes in Overwatch are way more forgiving than TF2.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I forget if it's come up before, but it's getting close to time for a Summer Jam.

And, I'm guessing, almost time for Crash to lose his mind again mappin'?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ohhhhhhhhh yes. Got some pretty big plans for it. Some super cool shit I can reveal pretty soon, too.

Valve plugged us again, too!

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=22401

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Pretty much everything I've seen suggests the hit boxes in Overwatch are way more forgiving than TF2.

for the shooter? yeah
    from the shootee perspective it's also a lot clearer when you got dicked over by your latency because the kill replay shows the server's view of what happened and how you totally weren't around that corner yet from the enemy's point of view

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Destiny had a patch yesterday, which I don't expect anyone in here to give a shit about, but this was in the notes:

"The Backstab upgrade has been the source of some confusing behavior for a while, particularly when it appears to hit from the front. The valid region for Backstabbing should now be more solidly behind the target."

Sound familiar? :rotate:

I guess backstabs are really hard to program in multiplayer games.

• Options
    Destiny had a patch yesterday, which I don't expect anyone in here to give a shit about, but this was in the notes:

"The Backstab upgrade has been the source of some confusing behavior for a while, particularly when it appears to hit from the front. The valid region for Backstabbing should now be more solidly behind the target."

Sound familiar? :rotate:

I guess backstabs are really hard to program in multiplayer games.

latency is really hard to account for

the same thing that causes magic corner-curving hoovy boolets means backstabs can happen when you thought you were facing the other way but you were facing the other other way on the spy's screen

though TF2 also has the weird obvious facestabs that were facestabs on both player's screens which is just confusing

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    HONC HONC!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Snakewater?

More like Anacondawater!

Cause it's so long, you see.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Some say we're still playing Snakewater.

• Options
    good games tonight, nerds

I got a sufficient amount of smg kills to be satisfied

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I actually had a blast on that snakewater round.

Course I was just being The Fat Prime and wandering towards people with my minigun all round so that probably had something to do with it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    I actually had a blast on that snakewater round.

Course I was just being The Fat Prime and wandering towards people with my minigun all round so that probably had something to do with it.

the snakewater round was really fun up until we got last to like 95% cap and got forced off and then the game stalemated out until it went the other way like ten minutes later

that's something I'd legitimately like to see more with newer (or pro version?) 5CP: make last easier to fight over (further from defender spawn, not super duper cramped and closed), but actually take some time to cap (feels real bad having a whole defense set up and losing to one tricky scout standing on the point uncontested for 1.5 seconds)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    At one point during the first fight for last, I actually forgot that I could try to cap the next point. That's how long we were on that one. Then it went the other way for about that long.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also, to borrow from Lawbreakers, I wonder how their Dom variation would work in the tuftwo. There's three points (all open at the start), and when one's captured by a team it locks. When all three points are captured, they cash out points, one per CP captured, and then all the points reset after 30-60 seconds. First team to 11 wins.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch