Options

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "Thank you for your service urahonky, but we've decided that this part of the company is no longer worth our time and we'll be hiring some recent graduates to maintain the package."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    "Thank you for your service urahonky, but we've decided that this part of the company is no longer worth our time and we'll be hiring some recent graduates to maintain the package."

Jokes on them. Codes undocumented and no unit tests! HAHAHAHAH

• Options
    Either way "Completely wrote a specimen tracking software front and back end by myself" looks hella good on a resume.

• Options
    Question to you c# fellas.

If I implement IEquatable<T> do I need to overload == as well?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Question to you c# fellas.

If I implement IEquatable<T> do I need to overload == as well?

You don't need to, but according to the microsoft documentation you should overload == and != when you implement IEquatable, so they all return consistent results.

[edit] Keep in mind if you do that, you may run into complexity when testing to see if two references refer to the same object, I'm not sure if I totally agree with the documentation on that one.

[double edit] Never mind, in researching this further I discovered Object.ReferenceEquals(Object a, Object b) which does exactly that. BELAY MY PREVIOUS EDIT.

Rend on
  • Options
    Thanks, I thought that, but wasn't sure.

• Options
    You'd think that if an account has a group of locations that this locations variable would be a list, right?

Oh no sir, you'd be wrong. It's an object with the location name as the key!
    locations: {
        "location1": true,
        "location2": true
    }

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wednesday, me and co-worker:
    Co-worker with many more years of dev experience than I: "We should build a framework to wrap these browser automation tasks."
    Me: "That's a good idea, but I don't think we should do it now since we only have two dev days left until our Alpha release."
    Co-worker: *nods*

Thursday, team meeting:
    Co-worker: "I'm building a framework to wrap the browser automation tasks."
    Me: "..."

Friday morning at 2AM, email to team:
    Co-worker: "I was not able to finish the framework."
    Me: *not a single fuck to give*

admanb on
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    You'd think that if an account has a group of locations that this locations variable would be a list, right?

}

Prevents duplicates, though.

• Options

}

It's so easy to prevent duplicates in a list that I'm not sure if you're trolling me or not.

• Options

}

It's so easy to prevent duplicates in a list that I'm not sure if you're trolling me or not.

It's easy sure, but can you do it without a 'remove duplicates' piece of code?

Straight up, by making them keys you've prevented duplicates without an additional piece of code.

Double bonus, that code can be used to inactivate a location by changing it's value to false instead.

This is the kind of shit that pops up a lot in code optimization. It's also why they tell you not to prematurely optimize code because trying to debug with something like that is a PITA.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

}

It's easy sure, but can you do it without a 'remove duplicates' piece of code?

Straight up, by making them keys you've prevented duplicates without an additional piece of code.

Double bonus, that code can be used to inactivate a location by changing it's value to false instead.

This is the kind of shit that pops up a lot in code optimization. It's also why they tell you not to prematurely optimize code because trying to debug with something like that is a PITA.

Make add check if already there? Of course then you basically need to sort it to get log n adds, and...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    In Clojure sets are basically just maps where key=value. I figured other languages did something similar. Don't they?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Izzimach wrote: »
    In Clojure sets are basically just maps where key=value. I figured other languages did something similar. Don't they?

In this case it's a dictionary, where the key is unique, and value is not, so you're hacked it a bit and just made the key the value instead, you drastically reduce the kind of maintenance code you implement around the collection.

Instead of you ensuring it's unique and sorted, the runtime or compiler handles it for you. Their mechanics are usually much better than what you'd get if you copied and pasted from stackoverflow.

bowen on
  • Options
    The collection is at most 3 elements. There's no reason to worry about uniqueness when I can just literally search if the string exists in the list.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Literally 3-4 lines of code you can ignore though.

bowen on
  • Options

Except when you need to iterate over it. Data insertions is not what I'm worried about. Now I have to iterate over keys that have spaces and other special characters.

• Options

Except when you need to iterate over it. Data insertions is not what I'm worried about. Now I have to iterate over keys that have spaces and other special characters.

All good ;)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    tumblr_ntyg0qwS091s7fwo7o1_540.jpg
    I want this t-shirt.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Also, how the fuck does the expletiving DB script manage to find my leaving for home for the weekend to explode?

• Options
    Okay, script rejiggered. Time to see if all is well.

• Options
    My workday is supposed to end at 5.

It is currently almost 7.

Why am I still in the office?

Oh, right. DB hates me.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Time to flip it off, methinks.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Or make the call to the on-call DBA, Little Bobby Tables.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    tumblr_ntyg0qwS091s7fwo7o1_540.jpg
    I want this t-shirt.

Thank you, this made my day. :+1:

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Sadly, this is a DB near production needed for deployment of the release I've been working on the past few months, so no, telling it to fuck off is not an option. Happily, script is running right, so I am now out of the office.

Also, this was a situation of "5 minutes of analysis, 2 hours of pushing people to get shit done".

• Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm at TCDisrupt this weekend. The presentations thus far are an interesting mix. The WalMart texting app is my favorite so far. It's really simple, sms app for shopping at WalMart.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Release day. God help me.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Okay, so I have a question, and I feel like this might be a good place to ask.

I'm interested in learning how to create an app to make a character creator for an RPG. I have absolutely 0 programming experience. I currently have an iphone, but also have android tablets. I know that this is rather ambitious, but if I'm learning from scratch, and an interactive character builder is my ultimate goal, where should I start?

• Options
    @belligerent Well, since you're working with both android and iOS devices, you'll probably want something web based.

That means learning HTML at the least.

For someone who's new to programming, and needs to do web based stuff, you're probably going to have the most luck with PHP, JavaScript, and HTML and CSS.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/HTML/Introduction
    https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/html-css
    https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/html-css-js
    http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.html

You can probably get away with just HTML/JavaScript.

If you wanted 'an app' it becomes much more complicated than that. You'll probably get a lot of advice to 'just use {X} language' but I'm going to level with you, programming is really hard, and those languages tend to complicate things. It also becomes much harder to find 'help' as a beginner if you're looking up help on how to use Ruby or Python and some random framework you were directed at because it's 'makes better code'.

If you decide programming is something you want to expand upon, I think it would be good to revisit after you get your feet wet with HTML and JS. Obviously we'll help you if you stumble, JavaScript in particular is not super forgiving to beginners.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Do you have a computer as well, or are you exclusively mobile-devices? If so, which OS is the computer running?

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I am using windows 8. And I'm okay with narrowing my focus on one specific (read: easiest) programming language. Since I'm very endgame focused at this point, I'd like to learn the language that will best facilitate an interactive sheet vs a more generalized education.

So if swift is the easiest, then I can focus on that. if HTML would be best, then that's my girl. It doesn't have to be cross platform since it's really just for me and my group, but I wouldn't mind learning how to put it on the app store/play store if it's useful/good. Since I'm at ground 0 though, and I trust PA peeps alot, I figure it's good to ask these questions to people who know.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    The issue with swift is that the platforms are so wildly different that you'd be making iOS only. If you went Java, you'd be making android only.

You'd probably have a much easier time with swift than HTML/JavaScript/PHP to be honest. But that comes with its own set of issues. You'd need a Apple computer to even get to the point where you could make it.

Android is 'more open' but much more difficult to get to the working point (I'd recommend HTML/JS over Java and android any day of the week).

HTML/JS is your best bet, IMO.

bowen on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jesse Freeman has some HTML5 resources on game development
    http://jessefreeman.com/

He was a prolific flash developer (theflashguy) back in the day and moved on to HTML5/JS for game development. He's pretty heavy into Unity these days, but he has some resources on his site that might be helpful too.

jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Javascript is the easiest way to get it on all phones, and free.

Apple Store you have to be in the developer program which is min. $100/yr. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you've not programmed before.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    God damn fucking if statements are fucking killing me.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    if(if){honkey.stabby( GuiltyCoder );}

• Options
    Turns out it was because I typed && instead of ==.... Don't ask me how I did that, hah.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Re: character sheet

I agree that html+js is the way to go.

Programming is hard, therefor there is no 'easy' language. Your best bet is whatever solution is going to work best for what you want to do, rather than which will be 'easiest'. HTML is going to be the fastest way to make something that you can see and interact with graphically rather than something that interacts via command line.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My work hosted a vendor conference today. Mm, swank conference food. They also had a free open bar, but I decided against getting sloshed and trying to do dev talk.

"Look, look man. Maybe, maybe that page doesn't want to show you that invoice, ya know? Maybe you should think about how IT feels about this!"

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
This discussion has been closed.