Options

[Marvel Heroes Omega] RIP Gazillion Shut Down, Game Servers Close 11/24

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Dude ouch

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I've talked a lot of shit about this game over the years, but I will legit miss it.
    RIP Phoenix Force glitch that allowed for infinite Phoenix form, you will live eternally in my heart! There's a lot of other busted shit that I will remember fondly as well but that will always be my favourite period of time in the game.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I never reached max level, but I put probasbly 30 hours in this game, mostly with Wolverine and Cap. It was never a "great" game, but once they had fixed it a bit I thought it was totally playable and fun. I dumped a little cash in, but not enough to be terribly upset. I definitely got moneys worth in 30 hours.

More than anything I feel for the employees. There's never a good time to lose your job, but this time of year is among the worst times. It's been confirmed they are getting no PTO payback, no severance and are losing their medical insurance all in the span of about 4 days. That really, really sucks.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I never reached max level, but I put probasbly 30 hours in this game, mostly with Wolverine and Cap. It was never a "great" game, but once they had fixed it a bit I thought it was totally playable and fun. I dumped a little cash in, but not enough to be terribly upset. I definitely got moneys worth in 30 hours.

More than anything I feel for the employees. There's never a good time to lose your job, but this time of year is among the worst times. It's been confirmed they are getting no PTO payback, no severance and are losing their medical insurance all in the span of about 4 days. That really, really sucks.

Is that even legal?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is that even legal?

In bankruptcy? Maybe.

I think employees are usually unsecured creditors and damn near the back of the line for that stuff. Be clear, this isn't Gazillion saying "Nah, we're not gonna pay you" so much as it is them saying "We're paying all these other folks first, because laws, if there are leftovers then sure we'll pay you."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not that people at Gazillion don't want to pay employees, they are being basically sued by creditors. According to the articles I've read they were way under water on loans to keep the business going and when they lost the Marvel license creditors came for the scraps immediately.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just heard about this company and game, as well as downloading/playing it on Xbox One, quite recently. Bittersweet that I never had time to really get into it, but it leaves one big question:

What the hell happened that everything just fell over so suddenly and so quickly?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    This seems popular enough with the right group of people that I could see private servers going up eventually.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they probably haven't been making money in a while; the console release appears to have been kind of a last-ditch attempt at becoming profitable, and/or a way to try and milk as much money out of the property as they could

my guess would be that once they found out disney weren't renewing the license, their creditors decided 'fuck this we aren't paying another two months of expenses'

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    This seems popular enough with the right group of people that I could see private servers going up eventually.

Not sure I'd take odds on that. I'd put its level of polish and fun at least around or above that which I found in Hellgate: London, which does indeed have a private server thing going and a fan based attempt to keep it alive/bring it back.

However, that's an obscure IP owned by a (far as I know) tiny company.

That'd be an entirely different situation contrasted against Marvel and Disney.

Which isn't to say that there won't be attempts to have something private set up to play around on, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't face regular challenges that made it a substantial uphill fight at best.

I sure wouldn't want to piss off The Mouse.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

Almost nothing was loaded client side, so I don't know how that would work. Asros gave all the technical reasons why on Discord.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    That sucks. A little for us players who put all the time/effort/money into the game, but way more for the employees who are getting super screwed today.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Yeah, I put a lot of hours into this game, since it was my go-to mindless, (usually) not frustrating, blow shit up and collect loot game, with the added bonus of being able to play as Squirrel Girl.

I guess now I'll have to pretend that my Diablo 3 characters are throwing squirrels at monsters and sharing nut facts.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Is that even legal?

In bankruptcy? Maybe.

I think employees are usually unsecured creditors and damn near the back of the line for that stuff. Be clear, this isn't Gazillion saying "Nah, we're not gonna pay you" so much as it is them saying "We're paying all these other folks first, because laws, if there are leftovers then sure we'll pay you."

Depends, I think back wages are actually pretty high up on the list in a bankruptcy but if there is no money there is no money.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Is that even legal?

In bankruptcy? Maybe.

Depends, I think back wages are actually pretty high up on the list in a bankruptcy but if there is no money there is no money.

Yeah for a bankruptcy like this, which I have to assume is Chapter 7, the employees will get first dibs, with few exceptions.

The exception being secured creditors as they have highest priority. This would typically (but maybe not always) be say a bank that holds a mortgage. So if Gaz wasn't renting a studio and actually had a mortgage on it then the mortgage holder gets first dibs.

That said, I would be a little surprised if the employees didn't get the pay owed to them.

Edit- Or to give some very broad strokes on how this goes down.

With Chapter 7 Gaz will become defunct. They will have to liquidate everything the company owns. Then use that money to pay off their creditors in order of priority. With secured creditors first (if they have any as I mentioned), then employees (who technically become creditors in this case) and finally everyone else. Which I'm not certain on how they determine priority for that last one, but I'd guess whoever they owe the most to?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    servers are still up lol

• Options
    EnciferEncifer Registered User regular
    I have 600 hours in Marvel Heroes and this news makes me very emotional.

2efkd4k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MWUEIQm.jpg

It's over. :(

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    :(

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Oh wow, I never realized it said "Please again try later" lmao

• Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    It looks like the entire house of cards just... vanished. Main page fails to connect and the forums throw up a "Maintainance" message.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    At least the Marvel Heroes forums are gone, that's something

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    At least the Marvel Heroes forums are gone, that's something

I just worry where those folks will go.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqh2DS7oIbU

Anthony Gallegos was on Kinda Funny Daily on Monday, he was a Gazillion dev for about 3 years. from about the 5 minute mark to about the 25 minute mark he talks about what they had been working on, what happened, what it was like at the studio, etc.
    Unworthy Thor/Gladiator Thor sounded pretty rad from what he was talking about :(

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So... Any suggestions on similar games?

• Options
    Diablo 3 and Path of Exile are probably going to be your best bet for clicky loot grinders. There are others of course, but those are the big ones.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Path of exile gets my vote I found diablo 3 to be super simple.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    And Diablo 3 gets mine since it's definitely not a "super simple" game, and I think PoE plays slow and lethargic with it's herky jerky animation system and completely obtuse, overwrought, skill grid.

That said, our personal opinions aside, since PoE is free'ish you might as well give it a shot, it may click for you. I've bounced off PoE hard every time I've tried it while I have hundreds of hours in D3 across two platforms.

If you're curious about either game, they both have active communities here:

D3 - https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/212744/diablo-3-season-12-you-get-a-buff-and-you-get-a-buff-everyone-gets-a-buff
    PoE - https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210423/path-of-exile-mayhem-event-nov-24-war-for-the-atlas-expansion-dec-8

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 and Path of Exile are probably going to be your best bet for clicky loot grinders. There are others of course, but those are the big ones.

Neither of them did it for me. Too slow and static for me, I loved Marvel Heroes for the high movement speed and big AoEs against hordes of enemies.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Titan Quest has a lot of variation with it's skill trees, almost all the combinations are viable.

Just had a new expansion hit for it last week as well.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    PoE was way too complicated for me. If you're the type of person who likes to spend almost as much time theorycrafting your build outside of the game as you do actually playing, it will definitely keep you busy for a good long while, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I likewise bounced off PoE hard when I first tried it, but it's gotten lots of updates including a recent big addition of content, and the game is quite a bit different if you haven't played it in awhile. Plus there is that whole free thing.

I still got tired of it after beating the main story one time, but it was absolutely worth playing. The only real criticism I have of the game is that, even when I wanted to support the devs and throw some money at the game, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than inventory upgrades. All the various cosmetics they have for sale are exorbitantly priced for what you get. It makes the costume and hero prices in Marvel Heroes look like a steal by comparison.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    D3 is mindless fun. PoE is challenging fun.

Though I’d prefer something more in the middle.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Grim Dawn is pretty great and recently released expansion.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    This game never should have been forced online-only and now because it was people who spent hundreds of dollars on it can't play it ever again.

Welcome to the future of gaming.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    PoE was way too complicated for me. If you're the type of person who likes to spend almost as much time theorycrafting your build outside of the game as you do actually playing, it will definitely keep you busy for a good long while, though.

Naw, son. The trick is to go for broke and fuck it up, then do it again. Your real character is the vault full of shit you collect in order to get things worth theorycrafting for in the first place.

9KmX8eN.jpg