As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ International Orchestra [Instrument Thread]

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've taken the plunge and started actually learning chords

I'm working on various punk songs since a lot of the chords are relatively simple

Enjoying the hell out of Red Hot Moon by Rancid currently

I started learning The Girl by City and Colour last week. It's a pretty fun and simple one! I used to hate doing chords on my guitar, but I've started liking them a lot more on my uke.

The version I'm learning is this one, using the tutorial he links to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24D7uK5gJN8

It's simple enough that I can play it and sing while only screwing up occasionally!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I first got a gift of an acoustic guitar from my parents, they had bought it from my dad's boss.
    I went to lessons for almost a year but then stopped. Eventually my dad's boss was wanting to play again and asked my dad if I was still using the guitar, I didn't mind selling it back to him and bought a cheapie electric guitar with those funds, that's the one I still have.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

I'm working on various punk songs since a lot of the chords are relatively simple

I definitely have a few Rancid songs on my list.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I really want some electric bagpipes

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I really want to never have learned that electric bagpipes existed

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I saw Black 47 one time and their bagpipe guy had his pipes hooked up to an air compressor

It was pretty great

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

If you wanted help getting your hands around a Red Hot Moon all you had to do was ask :wink:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I really want to never have learned that electric bagpipes existed

What? Why? Have you never heard Neutral Milk Hotel?

I saw them live, and their bagpipes led me to do a bit of research. They actually sound really close the real thing, except that you can control the volume, negating the biggest complaint about bagpipes!

• Options
    They were incredible live

• Options
    Neutral Milk Hotel sounds like you are making up a band name of I would be least likely to have heard about.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Looks like we'll be doing a charity concert again next year with my coworkers and IT crowd.

We are setting up some practice space at the offices so I need to buy those drums off my buddy! \m/

No idea what our theme will be this year but last year it was a bunch of latin pop/rock.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Neutral Milk Hotel sounds like you are making up a band name of I would be least likely to have heard about.

Good fuzzy guitar

Check out Holland, 1945 and the untitled instrumental on the album In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

• Options
    Weird. That kind of distortion and that kind of singing is an odd pairing too my musical palette! Not bad though.

But when I think of fuzzy guitar I tend to imagine weedeater, electric wizard, or sleep. Something sludgy at least.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What I think of when I hear "fuzzy guitar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uT6cwQT-5A

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So tonight I cleared some space in my room and got my keyboard set up.

For the first time in years, I'm actually working on my piano skills again.

Starting to re-learn my favorite piece.

This is gonna take a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fod0iT1e9oE&ab_channel=Kamibambiraptor

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So tonight I cleared some space in my room and got my keyboard set up.

For the first time in years, I'm actually working on my piano skills again.

Starting to re-learn my favorite piece.

This is gonna take a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fod0iT1e9oE&ab_channel=Kamibambiraptor

Cool!! I'm working on learning a few songs right now on my uke. My main one is trying to figure out Sous le Ciel de Paris by Edith Piaf in this arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Moh1dF7Og

I've gotten to the point where I can play the song through pretty easily but not as smoothly as Ukulelezaza does; it's also a ridiculously long piece of sheet music and it's going to take some time to master.

I'm also trying to learn the Gwent theme from The Witcher 3 and the the Final Fantasy VII theme, which are a bunch easier but starting to sound a lot nicer with the new techniques I've been learning!

Steam
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am also practicing an Edith Pilaf song on my ukulele! Without lessons!

...I am no good at it. :/

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Do MIDI controllers and sound libraries count as instruments?
    44qe4e04v1g1.jpg
    I got a Novation 61 key keyboard controller... Half price! It's got knobs and dials!
    Also finally am able to use some fancy SampleModeling horns and tuba I got during the summer, so I threw together a theme from Wrath of the Lich King to test them and the keyboard:

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    I am also practicing an Edith Pilaf song on my ukulele! Without lessons!

...I am no good at it. :/

Is it La Vie En Rose on the uke? Ukulele Underground has a great tutorial/play-along. It's kinda complex though.

Steam
  • Options
    It is that one, yes. I've been using ukutabs but I'm up for more complex.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    It is that one, yes. I've been using ukutabs but I'm up for more complex.

This would be the play-along here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_iQqa9k7tg

If you're okay with trying to learn something as complex as that, then I'd totally recommend it. I tried learning it when I was trying to train myself to play on my own, and found it kind of tough at first, but he has some other songs that are lower on the difficulty scale that might help you be better at combining chords and solos. If you click the Youtube link he also links to a part of his own website where he explains how to play the song.

Steam
  • Options
    I need to practice strumming on my geetars more than I do.

I bet I could get away with just using session mode in rocksmith to give me a backbeat to play along with, but I'm thinking of trying to get some drum loops that I can play along with my acoustic too.

Anyone have any other suggesting to help me learn to strum with rhythm?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A metronome.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Metronomes are cool and useful for the purpose I guess I just have a hard time motivating myself to play to one because they are boring.

Another problem I have is making my up strums sound good. They usually sound like butts and it makes alternate picking hard.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Metronomes are cool and useful for the purpose I guess I just have a hard time motivating myself to play to one because they are boring.

Another problem I have is making my up strums sound good. They usually sound like butts and it makes alternate picking hard.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Maybe try playing in group settings if possible, or at least playing along to a video of whatever song you're trying to learn? That should help you keep the beat a bit better.

Steam
  • Options
    Playing an instrument is fun but there's definitely parts where you just have to suck it up and get through. Nobody likes playing to a metronome but getting more used to it is going to be very useful later when you don't want to be embarrassed because the guy recording you is having you play to a click track so all the parts line up.

And audio engineers are notoriously awful at making people feel good about failing to accurately play along with a click track.

• Options
    That is the thing. I never take practice time super serious and end up just noodling for a while most of the time. Playing scales poorly or badly switching chords with just down strums.

I want to actually get better though so I suppose it is time to break this down into smaller steps.

For one I need to stop choking my pick and learn to play to a beat.

• Options
    It doesn't have to be much. 10 minutes strumming to a metronome and 10 minutes doing scales (in various ways) will be very useful later if you can keep from being too bored. Maybe even just once a week. Then you can just wail to your heart's content.

My guitar student started out rolling his eyes when I gave him another scale box to learn but now that he's internalized them and he can just move wherever he wants on the neck, he admits that he's glad I forced him to do it. It's not an instant gratification thing, and neither is a metronome, but later on when you don't need to think too hard about that stuff anymore and you just do it, you'll be having a lot more fun than when you were just noodling.

It's hard to describe that feeling, but the way I always try to is to say that it has to be in your fingers, not your head.

• Options
  • Options
    Five minutes with a metronome just now and I already feel like I'm getting a better sense of timing on my strums just muting the strings and stuff, that's good, feels like progress.

Also decided to just strum a g chord (my current favorite chord) for a bit and actually got some up strums to sound alright, I really do have a terrible habit of choking the hell out of pick and attacking the strings too sharp on the way up.

It's going to take way more practice to get a good sense of timing down well enough to be able to also switch chords while strumming well. But at least now I have an idea how it's done.

• Options
    Yay! Stick with it, I'm happy it helped. Another thing that helps but may actually be more fun is to get Audacity and set up a click track and record yourself. Then listen to your recording with the click track on and see where you're getting off (I know, phrasing...), so you have a better idea of what you need to work on.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What I do when I'm having trouble with a rhythm is enter the sheet of music into Musescore (a free music composition program). Then I can play it back and see what I need to do. I'm still learning how to use the program so I'm killing two birds with one stone. Eventually I plan on doing my own stuff with it but for now it's pretty useful just as a tool for learning pieces.

That probably doesn't help with guitar though, sorry! (maybe it does? but I don't know)

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I did some recording for someone and had to setup my studio stuff again, and it really got me hankering to learning piano like I meant to a while back.

I have a 61-key keyboard and still not much idea where to start. I've seen programs and websites but I'm not sure which really is good? I use the keyboard for composing and have some music theory down alright, but I would like to learn some performance skills so that I could improvise more and help with the creative process. Not sure if that helps or changes anything? :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    So... now that I know I'm definitely able to get back into music, I need to figure out a replacement keyboard.

It was priced at, I think around $300 when I bought it 6 years ago. Its sounds good enough, but it only has one working speaker and only has 5 full octaves (61 keys)

The one I have only has one working speaker, and it only has 5 full octaves (61 keys). And the middle F natural doesn't work.

Anyone have any suggestions on something with 6-7 octaves, that isn't really overpriced? I've only ever bought this one so I'm not too knowledgeable about all this.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Infidel wrote: »
    I did some recording for someone and had to setup my studio stuff again, and it really got me hankering to learning piano like I meant to a while back.

I have a 61-key keyboard and still not much idea where to start. I've seen programs and websites but I'm not sure which really is good? I use the keyboard for composing and have some music theory down alright, but I would like to learn some performance skills so that I could improvise more and help with the creative process. Not sure if that helps or changes anything? :)

Are you saying you want to learn more about playing instruments, or about musical theory so you're better at writing music, or both?

As far as improvisational skills, I'm pretty sure you just develop that naturally by getting good at an instrument.

If you have the money for it you can pay for lessons for various instruments, assuming there's a place reasonably nearby.

I like taking music classes at Fullerton College. Even though they're a community college, their music department is on par with a lot of 4-year colleges programs.

As for musical theory, there are college courses for those as well, but I'm not sure about paid lessons.

There seem to be some sites that offer help with that, but I've never tried one so I can't speak for how useful they are.

Goatmon on

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Music needs!

I played piano for like 3 or 4 years, tenor sax from fourth grade through 12th, four years of taiko on college, and last year I learned how to DJ poorly!

I wanna learn trombone and ukulele.

• Options
    @sarukun stop by Lansing, MI and my older bro could give you trombone lessons

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @sarukun stop by Lansing, MI and my older bro could give you trombone lessons

something something magic of the internet something something Taiwan?

Can't believe I forgot that I want to learn to play the banjo and the accordion.

I want to learn how to play a rocking accordion so bad.

• Options
    Accordion isn't as intimidating as it looks! For complex polkas and stuff it can get really crazy but if you just want to play lead over reedy chords (folk stuff mainly) the learning curve is very simple, if you can already do piano.