As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 9/2/2015

Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished BovineThe sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
Got Empowered Vol.9 in the mail this week, and it almost immediately cemented itself as my MOTW book.
empowered_vol_9__out_aug_19___front_and_back_cover_by_adamwarren-d95drzv.jpg

Empowered is an excellent series and I highly recommend it. It keeps getting better with every book. This volume resolves both events from the previous book and a plot thread that's been left dangling since book 4, and Emp herself gets a couple of absolutely amazing moments, especially towards the end.

One small bit I really liked (minor spoilers from earlier volume 6 as well):
One of the many, many supravillains that crosses paths with Emp this volume is Deathmonger, the creepy undead necrotech super-scientist who was the big bad of volume 6, revealing that he was not destroyed as the end of that book suggested - "I am rather notoriously difficult to kill... in part, of course, because I am already dead." However, he makes no attempt to capture or kill Empowered, out of what Deathmonger calls "A token - if temporary - measure of suprahuman solidarity between two misunderstood ladycapes" revealing that he is, in fact, a she, and that everyone simply assumed she was male.

A minor point in the face of all the other events of the book, but it made me giggle gleefully for a good 3 minutes. I like that Empowered now has something like a female arch-nemesis, and she's one of the most feared and lethal characters in the series.

As with every volume, there was a big dose of world-building and tons of wacky new characters. And yes, more than a couple shots of Emp being tied up, super-suit shredded, barely concealed caboose on display. There's a mid-book intermission story where she has a few things to say about that sort of thing, and those who might find themselves a little too focused on it.

Honestly, the story is so good that I really don't notice any of the explicit sexy stuff anymore... all that much. Really!

H9f4bVe.png

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    A new volume of Empowered finally came out!?
    /rushes off to Amazon!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I read it last weekend, so
    I'm really happy to see Empowered finally getting respect (I mean, she must be getting some respect now? She was already getting more and more support from various superheroes, but now everybody has seen her on screen defeating a horde of bad guys and she finally stood up for herself to the rest of the heroes, demanding to become a full member.

And alas, poor Manny.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Having no knowledge of Empowered I will just say that I looked at that cover and "Eel Duce" made me giggle for like a minute.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Having no knowledge of Empowered I will just say that I looked at that cover and "Eel Duce" made me giggle for like a minute.

Yeah, that level of amusement is pretty much the 'default state' when reading an Empowered story.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    My MOTW was getting the physical release of One-Punch Man in the mail

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Empowered is a comic you pick up in the first place because you like Adam Warren's previous work and his manga style, the concept of a D-Lister Superhero story and the humor that comes with it sounds interesting and fun, and/or you have a slight bondage fetish. Then as you start reading it, not only do you know the art is fantastic (and all done in pencil, not inked) with fantastically drawn fight scenes, but it's well written too and filled with very human and flawed characters. Not to mention the humor that is prevalent through the comic.

After a few volumes in, once the major players have been introduced and have grown on you, and you realize you actually enjoy these characters (and holy shit, a healthy romance in a comic book)... the comic pulls a Negima! and switches from a fun lighthearted comedy into serious ongoing story and character arcs where shit goes down, feels get critically hit, and I dare you not to cry at some points.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I think I left off on reading Empowered prior to the volume focusing on Ninjette's clan-plot. Has there been any resolution with that jackass Major Havoc trying to ruin Emp?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Happens in this volume.

Emp get called in to the big superhuman ruling council to answer for all the shenanigans that have cropped up around her.

Major Havoc however is not part of the council and will probably have a hateboner for Emp.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    My MOTW was getting the physical release of One-Punch Man in the mail

That is a silly name for a thing. So I went and looked up info about it.

I'm happy now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    One-Punch Man is pretty great, yeah.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I should do a retrospective for something of Adam Warren's. He's a really good artist, his layouts are very dynamic and I like his style. His writing chops have come a long way, too.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    I love Warren's combat scenes. He draws motion and impact so well compared to so many artists.

I also love his insane character ideas in his works.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Adam Warren makes cheesecake with character, and I appreciate that