As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC isn't detecting router

LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
So I turned on my PC tonight to find that my desktop that's connected to my router via LAN couldn't connect to the Internet, however internet via wifi on my other devices was still working. Windows troubleshoot said the problem may be that I needed to redownload the driver, however when I tried to plug my modem directly into it to do this it was still unable to connect, and more so, the modem light indicating that a device is connected via LAN didn't even come on as it does when it's connected to my router. So this leads me to believe that the problem is definitely my PC, however is there an easy way to fix this, or even a way to better test it before I flat out try buying a new LAN interface for my computer? A quick Amazon search tells me they aren't that expensive, but I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to actually messing around with the inside of my computer hardware wise. And if I do just need to buy a new interface is there a way to tell what I need or are they all pretty standard for the most part?

Thanks for any help you can give H/A!

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Windows was probably telling you to redownload the drivers for your motherboard's LAN port, not the modem itself.

Was the network port working on this machine recently?

• Options
    Yeah, it's been working fine up until last night. How do I know where to find those drivers?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    For most PCs these days (read, any made in the last 10+ years) the network interface card (NIC) is actually a chip built into the motherboard. If you got your PC prebuilt from an OEM vendor like Dell, or HP or whatever, you can usually go to their website, and go to the drivers/support link. There you can put in your PCs serial number or model number, and it will pull up a list of drivers for that model, usually divided into categories like, graphics, network, system, etc.

If you do have a discrete network card, or have a PC custom built from parts, you'd have to find the model of the card or motherboard and download the driver from the manufacturers site. To do that, you'll probably have to open it up and look for logos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i would look in the device manager first and see if something in there is malfunctioning.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'd try another LAN cable to see if that works, too.

• Options
    For most PCs these days (read, any made in the last 10+ years) the network interface card (NIC) is actually a chip built into the motherboard. If you got your PC prebuilt from an OEM vendor like Dell, or HP or whatever, you can usually go to their website, and go to the drivers/support link. There you can put in your PCs serial number or model number, and it will pull up a list of drivers for that model, usually divided into categories like, graphics, network, system, etc.

If you do have a discrete network card, or have a PC custom built from parts, you'd have to find the model of the card or motherboard and download the driver from the manufacturers site. To do that, you'll probably have to open it up and look for logos.

So I'm trying this and I keep getting the message that "Realtek Network Controller was not found"

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'd try another LAN cable to see if that works, too.

I've used the one connected to the router and the separate one connected to the modem