As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    ClouDrop%20Nov%2026,%202015,%208%3A12%3A12%20AM%20Nov%2026,%202015,%208%3A12%3A12%20AM.png

True facts
    Happy day of gluttony to you all

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Why would I want pumpkin pie when cherry is right there?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Sigh

Am home

Was gonna go to this one gym and my dad was like oh come to our gym

And I was like do you have a barbell and a bench

He said yes but I shouldn't have believed him

There is a smith machine I dunno what the fuck to do with this, guh, and not enough time to go all the way to the other gym before thanksgiving time

So I guess I am smith press benching and it feels awkward and terrible
    The dumbbells are way too light or I'd just do that

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    And there is this lady doing bosu ball dumbbell squats and she tripped and the bosu ball flew across the room to me

Yep

Going to the real gym tomorrow

poo
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    That is amazing

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So I ran a 5k this morning! It was fantastic! I made it in 30min which is a good 5 minutes or more faster than I expected. Dragging my butt to the hotel gym a few weeks ago was a chore, but oh man I'm so glad I stuck with it. Now on to gluttony! Happy t-day all!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So yesterday I got together with my mom and dad for Thanksgiving lunch.

Mom hadn't seen me in a year and was surprised and ecstatic about how good I looked due to my recent weight loss.

I mentioned that right now I was at the lower weight I had ever been, and my dad then mentioned how I shouldn't stop now, since there's still some fat I could lose from my sides.

:/

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Mom hadn't seen me in a year and was surprised and ecstatic about how good I looked due to my recent weight loss.

I mentioned that right now I was at the lower weight I had ever been, and my dad then mentioned how I shouldn't stop now, since there's still some fat I could lose from my sides.

Is how it goes, I guess

My parents are like you have a belly, gotta lose it

I'm in best shape I've been in my life

poo
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

Is how it goes, I guess

My parents are like you have a belly, gotta lose it

I'm in best shape I've been in my life

Next time your parents get on your case, squat them.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I might have to stop eating apples. they're too good at reducing appetite

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    http://www.niashanks.com/exercise-is-not-punishment/

This is something good to remember.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    http://www.niashanks.com/exercise-is-not-punishment/

This is something good to remember.

Ohhh don't worry I don't punish my gluttony with exercise. I have cutting for that

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Apparently when I exercise I give off a lot of body heat.
    Before exercising, the temperature at my desk was 12 degrees.
    I finished exercising, and have been sitting at my desk for ~5 mins, the temp is now ~18 degrees. No chance in heating.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How realistic is it to lose 15 to 20 pounds in the next four weeks by cutting out soda, junk food, and exercising everyday for an hour?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Stragint wrote: »
    How realistic is it to lose 15 to 20 pounds in the next four weeks by cutting out soda, junk food, and exercising everyday for an hour?

It's doable, but you'll have to actually watch what you eat, like depending on your metabolism limiting yourself to 1800 calories a day or less.

You'll more than likely hate it and it won't be sustainable either, and depending on how much you weigh it could be dangerous as well.

What's your starting weight? This will be a lot easier to do at 300 than 200 pounds.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Starting at 305. How do I find the calories for foods that don't have the labels?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Easily doable at 305.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Starting at 305. How do I find the calories for foods that don't have the labels?

I recommend my fitness pal. A massive food library, you'll need measuring cups at the minimum, a small food scale helps too. Has a great mobile app as well. That's all I use. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Do you know how to cook at all? I recommend Vegetarian 365 (a cookbook) for a ton of tasty healthy foods, and that are easy to add meat to.

Also what do you plan to do at the gym? More than anything you'll want a solid workout to get your body used to burning more calories. Between a ramped up metabolism and good healthy eating you should be able to rock it. Give yourself at least 1 rest day each week though where you just go on a walk or do light cardio or whatever, you'll burn out or hurt yourself otherwise.

I also recommend at least 1 day a week going hiking. It doesn't have to be hard, just a few miles but it is a great change of pace and you'll burn a decent amount of calories.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular

You're gonna lose a lot of weight in Japan, I'd bet. The amount of walking you need to do will make sure of that. I've walked about 2-3 km every single day since I got here 2 months ago and all the pants I brought with, including the pair that started out too small for me to wear comfortably, is now too big.

Also, don't believe what other people say about the konbini food being bad for you. If it looks healthy, it is. And nearly everything has the calories listed on it.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I recommend my fitness pal. A massive food library, you'll need measuring cups at the minimum, a small food scale helps too. Has a great mobile app as well. That's all I use. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Do you know how to cook at all? I recommend Vegetarian 365 (a cookbook) for a ton of tasty healthy foods, and that are easy to add meat to.

Also what do you plan to do at the gym? More than anything you'll want a solid workout to get your body used to burning more calories. Between a ramped up metabolism and good healthy eating you should be able to rock it. Give yourself at least 1 rest day each week though where you just go on a walk or do light cardio or whatever, you'll burn out or hurt yourself otherwise.

I also recommend at least 1 day a week going hiking. It doesn't have to be hard, just a few miles but it is a great change of pace and you'll burn a decent amount of calories.

A trainer gave me a workout a few months ago that was supposed to burn calories. He said if I do that workout for 3 months and watch my calories I could lose about 80 pounds. I forgot the names of the workouts but I will get them and post it.
    Falx wrote: »

You're gonna lose a lot of weight in Japan, I'd bet. The amount of walking you need to do will make sure of that. I've walked about 2-3 km every single day since I got here 2 months ago and all the pants I brought with, including the pair that started out too small for me to wear comfortably, is now too big.

Also, don't believe what other people say about the konbini food being bad for you. If it looks healthy, it is. And nearly everything has the calories listed on it.

I bought new shoes for that reason specifically, I gotta walk around in them a bit to make sure they will be comfortable enough.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Can I drink a soda/Gatorade before a workout to prevent dying

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nothing prevents death, we all have our time, make your peace.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Brah, with proper pre, peri and post workout nutrition, you totally can cheat death and get totally ripped.

What exactly do you mean by "dying"?

• Options
    Soda and gatorade will not help your workouts.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I had heard chocolate milk was a quite good post workout drink?
    I'm not quite ready to believe that though.

I settle for a pound of gummy bears. Because it's delicious and that means it's healthy.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Brah, with proper pre, peri and post workout nutrition, you totally can cheat death and get totally ripped.

What exactly do you mean by "dying"?

Feeling like passing out in the gym along with loads of other factors that makes my body regret it is alive

My best workout time is 8 hours since my previous meal so there might be an energy issue, that or I'm five years old, then I immediately have to eat dinner and sleep AW CRAP I FORGOT TO PREP THE POT ROAST THIS MORNING

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you're working out after not eating for about 8 hours, you're going to be running out of gas real fast if you're doing anything fairly intense.

Try having a snack 45 - 60 minutes before the workout. Shoot for something with a decent amount of carbohydrates and some protein. Like some almonds and yogurt or even a simple peanut butter sandwich will help.

Drinking something during the workout with calories won't help a lot because your body is going to spending it's energy on the workout, not digesting the food.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I had heard chocolate milk was a quite good post workout drink?
    I'm not quite ready to believe that though.

I settle for a pound of gummy bears. Because it's delicious and that means it's healthy.

chocolate milk is great after a workout because:
    • It has everything for recovery/muscle building in it
    • It is delicious
    • It requires zero preparation

• Options
    Yeah, if you're working out after not eating for about 8 hours, you're going to be running out of gas real fast if you're doing anything fairly intense.

Try having a snack 45 - 60 minutes before the workout. Shoot for something with a decent amount of carbohydrates and some protein. Like some almonds and yogurt or even a simple peanut butter sandwich will help.

Drinking something during the workout with calories won't help a lot because your body is going to spending it's energy on the workout, not digesting the food.

I drank the stuff because I like drinking and my stomach is a big baby, but it was always like an hour before the workout, not during. I drink protein a little closer to the workout for no reason at all. If I eat any fat at all I either sleep or barf. Lactose, jury's still out, but my brain is always looking for an excuse to puke.

Like if I'm just eating carbs, why not drink sugar? What's complex carbs get me when I'm going to use it immediately?

I can go back to creaming banana and rice in my face, maybe picking up almond milk if I can afford it, but to me it seems arbitrary.

• Options
    edited December 2015

A trainer gave me a workout a few months ago that was supposed to burn calories. He said if I do that workout for 3 months and watch my calories I could lose about 80 pounds. I forgot the names of the workouts but I will get them and post it.

I bought new shoes for that reason specifically, I gotta walk around in them a bit to make sure they will be comfortable enough.

I would question 80lbs in 3 months. I would consider that unsafe right there unless closely supervised by a medical professional. that is a LOT of weight without giving your body much time to adjust. I did 50 in 3 months and it was a TON of work, and part of it was from a cut . I would figure 12lbs a month to be a safe figure for a bigger person after the first month or two initial larger weight loss, and give more time for the skin to adjust.

Remember that normal weight loss is usually considered to be 2lbs a week.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    As someone who used to try chocolate milk as a post workout, it's a nice idea that doesn't really work.

• Options
    Aww

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that roughly 2/3 of humanity cannot fully digest dairy products.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    wow uh

after failing to cook the pot roast and settling for cambell's soup like usual, I figured out that on days where I take a nap instead of making dinner I eat 700 calories total

that's pretty bad right

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    wow uh

after failing to cook the pot roast and settling for cambell's soup like usual, I figured out that on days where I take a nap instead of making dinner I eat 700 calories total

that's pretty bad right

According to thislivestrong article, it's about half of what you would need as a 6 year-old boy.

• Options
    Yeah I thought an adult is supposed to aim for 2000-2500 to maintain weight.

• Options
    I think I've found out why I keep running through jars of peanut butter

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I used to drink gatorade because water tastes fucking awful when you are swimming. so in that case drinking gatorade was most certainly better than drinking nothing

Jars on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I used to drink gatorade because water tastes fucking awful when you are swimming.

i don't think you're supposed to drink that water

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

I would question 80lbs in 3 months. I would consider that unsafe right there unless closely supervised by a medical professional. that is a LOT of weight without giving your body much time to adjust. I did 50 in 3 months and it was a TON of work, and part of it was from a cut . I would figure 12lbs a month to be a safe figure for a bigger person after the first month or two initial larger weight loss, and give more time for the skin to adjust.

Remember that normal weight loss is usually considered to be 2lbs a week.

I won't be hard on myself if I don't lose 80 pounds in 3 months, it felt like an unrealistic goal.

Staying under 1800 calories is rough.

This discussion has been closed.