As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dualshock 4 Planned Obsolescence / Poor Build Quality

BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito EnthusiastPSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
Dualshock 4 Planned Obsolescence / Poor Build Quality

The Dualshock 4 is my favorite gamepad to date in terms of ergonomy and features, but it clearly has issues with build quality and battery life. There's 3 major build quality flaws, that strike me very much as planned obsolescence.
  1. The rubberization of the sticks wears off. Supposedly fixed in newer models, but not entirely.
  2. The trigger hinge tends to break for people with big/strong hands.
  3. There's a wear and tear issue with the triggers and their pressure sensing contacts (especially with R2), reducing the analog pressure range of the triggers to less than the maximum, causing issues in various games, especially some FPS games and racing games. Some guns don't fire properly anymore, and cars don't reach top speed anymore, and accellerate too slowly.

Picture Example of Problem 1 (Rubber Peeling Off)
PS4-DS4-tearing.jpeg

Picture Example of Problem 2 (Trigger Hinge Breaking)
original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Picture Example of Problem 3 (Analog Trigger Contact Wear and Tear)
original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Personally, I suffer from problems 1 and 2 with my launch day gamepads. I can live with the rubber peeling off, but the R2-trigger-contacts on both my DS4s have worn out (after about 1500 hours of use each) to the point that several *maximum pressure trigger action* guns in Battlefield games don't fire anymore reliably. Often they don't fire at all, and always with a response delay of about a half a second. Rather gamebreaking. If I had GTA V, I wouldn't be able to initiate donuts anymore with my cars, and in general, driving games suffer due to often not registering *full throttle* inputs, reducing top speeds, as well as accelleration.

The internet is rife with threads of people who have severe and recurring issues with the Dualshock 4 product, to the point that I will not replace my gamepads until this is publicly addressed by Sony, either by being forthright about a Dualshock 4 model upgrade addressing these issues (especially the trigger contact one), or by releasing an extreme enthusiast Dualshock 4 variant in the vein of Microsoft's Elite controller, with matching production quality.

I am adamantly against business practices such as planned obsolescence. It's wasteful, and extra bad for the environment, as well as disrespectful to the client and their money, as well as of the own brand. I won't be buying a replacement PS4 gamepad until this is addressed, and I will likely move over to XBox One in the longterm, if these issues with the Dualshock 4 persist. Especially the trigger contact issue shouts planned obsolesence rather than production oversight, and as an avid player of videogames, I won't be replacing my gamepad every 1000 hours or so, because the shitty trigger contact has worn out, due to purposefully bad engineering.

I guess this could be seen as a PSA, but really, I just needed to rant.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This should be a general peripheral thread else if could just be posted in the Playstation thread.

That said..... Yup. DS4 is not a sturdy controller at all. Which sucks cause it is so comfortable to use. I just bought a second one carrier of the analogstick rubber peeling off.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Can't tell if the new controllers are more robust or if I've just worn my old one down but I got a magma red one recently for my girlfriend and it feels much better than the blue one I've been using. Gotta say though, even with my left stick worn down a little I still love these way more than the DS3 or any other controller. Hopefully Sony finds a way to address this sooner than later.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    I wonder, could a simple firmware update fix the trigger contact wear & tear *reduced sensitivity* issue? Like reducing the pressure needed for the *full depression* input to be registered?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I just bought Helldivers and the worn out conductive silicone pads reducing max sensitivity reared their ugly head yet again. I could not fire automatic weapons. It finally sent me over the edge, and I opened up the gamepad to see if I could attempt to fix it by ordering a conductive silicone pad replacement.

Well, there's another workaround it seems. I read somewhere that taking out the springs makes the triggers work again, so I tested it out (also, it's finicky as shit to get those springs back into place). Somehow taking out the springs does increase how much pressure I can exert on the conductive silicone pads, so I can achieve the full effect again. There's a slight delay and it's a bit sputtery, but it's better than not working at all anymore, so I'll let that be it for the time being.

Eventually I'll have to get those replacement conductive pads though, which will be a slightly more involved operation. I didn't quite figure out how to remove the L1/R1 bumpers, which would be required to replace the conductive silicone pads in question, though I guess it ain't rocket science, so I'll figure it out. Still better than rewarding Sony for their shitty planned obsolescence. Fuck those guys!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    'Planned obsolescence' (that is, a company deliberately designing a product so that it will break down after a set period of time; most conspiracy theories revolve around products breaking down after the warranty expires) isn't a thing.

High quality builds mean that the end product is more expensive for the consumer, and experience has demonstrated to manufacturers that most customers are far more sensitive to cost than to build quality. Plastics & rubbers are cheap, but wear out (relatively) quickly; that's just the nature of those materials. If they started using steel / treated woods / ceramic, the cost per unit would increase dramatically, the units would be more vulnerable to catastrophic damage (being dropped, tossed, what have you) and would be heavier.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The Ender wrote: »
    'Planned obsolescence' (that is, a company deliberately designing a product so that it will break down after a set period of time; most conspiracy theories revolve around products breaking down after the warranty expires) isn't a thing.

High quality builds mean that the end product is more expensive for the consumer, and experience has demonstrated to manufacturers that most customers are far more sensitive to cost than to build quality. Plastics & rubbers are cheap, but wear out (relatively) quickly; that's just the nature of those materials. If they started using steel / treated woods / ceramic, the cost per unit would increase dramatically, the units would be more vulnerable to catastrophic damage (being dropped, tossed, what have you) and would be heavier.

Only its not about material here, just about the shape of the thing that presses down on the conductive pad. Currently it's a thin bar pressing into the conductive silicone pad, damaging it by design. It could just as well be a larger surface, which wouldn't damage the conductive silicone pad in the same manner.

Planned obsolescence is definitely a thing, because if you'd take sound design and apply cheaper materials to it, it would most probably still be sound design. The way the triggers operate on the DS4 is not sound design. You could use the best materials in the world, that bar would still damage the conductive silicone pads. Hence, it's either planned obsolescence, or incompetence.

Both manufacturers have claimed they've thoroughly tested their hardware. Sony wouldn't have missed this issue, and for whatever reasons, I say it's for capitalistic profit maximizing reasons, the triggers are what they are.

Sure, I could be wrong, but then, where is the improved revision of the DS4? Some say the gamepads are already improved, others say they aren't. It might be true for the rubberization and the hinges. Who knows? It certainly isn't true for the how the triggers press into the conductive pads, because that's still the same bar-shaped thing as ever.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I believe that "Veteran Controls" or something like that in Helldivers fixes the auto-fire issue. They added it in a patch to address that issue.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I believe that "Veteran Controls" or something like that in Helldivers fixes the auto-fire issue. They added it in a patch to address that issue.

I'm trying it out now. Thanks for the tip.

It may well solve the problem for Helldivers, but not for the many other games that are affected by this hardware build quality side issue.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I have two DUALSHOCK 4s, and both of them play Helldivers fine (which is the only game I can think of that has such a ridiculously high threshold for analog trigger fire), despite thousands of hours of play time on various games (SO much Destiny. Ugh.). The rubber did peel off of one of the sticks on one controller, but I replaced that with a cap. I do have Asian Violinist's Hands (THERE ARE LITERALLY DOZENS OF US! DOZENS!), so it could be that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sure, I could be wrong, but then, where is the improved revision of the DS4?

In the stores, for over a year now.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    reVerse wrote: »
    Sure, I could be wrong, but then, where is the improved revision of the DS4?

In the stores, for over a year now.

Not for this issue though? I've read the white ones have metal trigger hinges and supposedly better rubberization.

The triggers damaging the conductive silicone pads though? It's not an issue many even perceive. First of all it takes extensive use. Most casual Playstation fans won't ever play their PS4 for over 1000 hours. And then you need to play games that use the full range of trigger sensitivity to even know something's broken. And even then, you might never know. Cars might go 10 kph slower than they should. Would you know? Probably not.

I have no issue with the rubberization, because it barely bugs me. That doesn't stop me from buying a replacement DS4. I have no issue with the hinges breaking, because I'm not a Neanderthal squeezing triggers like a MMA fighter chokes out their opponents.

What keeps me from buying a replacement DS4 is that I will have to buy a new one every one to two years, because I play thousands of hours of games each year, and mostly on my PS4, and I just don't think shittly designed triggers damaging the hardware by design is acceptable in that context. I guess I could get into fixing the hardware myself. Ordering conductive silicone pad replacements and opening up the damn thing up every year or so. I might do that, but damn them for making me do it.

I might just do most of my gaming on Xbox One, and use a gamepad that's built to last.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Oddly timed thread. Just replaced my original DualShock, I had problem 1...then a few days ago the left joystick would work about 50% of the time. Running in Bloodborne - pause for 5 seconds, run again.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius