As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've sort of been thrown into a 2nd AC position for a short film. Help/Advice?

AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
Hello all,

As the title suggests, I have recently taken on a position of 2nd AC for a short film. I initially accepted the position, because I was under the impression that my friend who was offering it would be the 1ST AC. However, I just learned that this isn't really going to be the case, I am actually replacing my friend on set who is going to be out of town for the next two weeks (would have been nice to know this beforehand!), and now I am a little nervous.

I have gone to google/youtube, and have found some useful resources, but I have yet to find anything really comprehensive that rundowns everything the position entails.

Also, any good advice from people experienced in this area of the field would be more than appreciated. I have much experience in other areas of filmmaking ( mostly post, gaffer, boom operator), but this area is really a blind spot for me. (go figure...)

Thank in advance.

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    There's a ton to that job. I'd say tell the 1st AC right away that you're new at the position and hopefully they'll be nice enough to hold your hand a little bit. You've been on sets enough it seems to get the general gist of what you're doing - now its mostly getting comfortable with the equipment and knowing where everything is so you can grab it at a moments notice.

• AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »
    There's a ton to that job. I'd say tell the 1st AC right away that you're new at the position and hopefully they'll be nice enough to hold your hand a little bit. You've been on sets enough it seems to get the general gist of what you're doing - now its mostly getting comfortable with the equipment and knowing where everything is so you can grab it at a moments notice.

That's.... that's a really good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that first. I e-mailed him last, and his response was more than pleasant. He actually applauded me for my maturity. lol. I am definitely feeling a lot better about all of this now.