As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hijacked Steam Account

mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
So, about a month ago I got an email from Steam Support saying that my account email had been changed. I went through their steps of manually locking the account and opened a support ticket, but real life got in the way and I hadn't had a chance to follow up.

This weekend I finally went back to check it out. The email address and password and have been changed, and at this point it seems like I'm completely locked out of the account. What boggles my mind is that a month after I opened a support ticket, I haven't gotten a single response from Steam support. They also don't have any type of phone support. What the hell? Even Origin has that.

So yesterday I opened a new ticket, effectively saying "Guys, I opened ticket XXXX-XXXX-XXXX on this date, and you haven't responded. I need support please." Any other suggestions on what I can do to get this thing back?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Steam support is widely considered to be the worst. Your best bet is probably to just send in the new support ticket as well as take to Twitter, several people in the G&T Steam thread have found success tweeting directly to Gaben and getting their issues solved quickly after waiting weeks for Steam Support to do anything.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    That's weird. My account was hijacked back in 2010, and I had it back in three days. Link?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Maybe a response from Steam was gobbled up by a spam filter?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That's weird. My account was hijacked back in 2010, and I had it back in three days. Link?
    That was also five years ago. Quality of support (and customer trust in support) can tank in far less time than that if a company decides to tank it.

To the OP, take it to facebook or other social media, something simple like what you've done with the new ticket "I opened a support ticket on (DATE), the number is (SUPPORT CASE), can I get an update?". I hate having to suggest public shaming like that, but if you're not getting a response through traditional channels...

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's not that Valve decided to tank Steam Support, it's that they're a flat company, meaning people can work where they want. And no one wants to work in Customer Service.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

Not sure there's a link I can actually provide. I've had some other dealing with Steam support in the past and they were usually resolved in a couple of days, which is why I'm shocked at the complete lack of response here - especially when the previous issues were all much less serious than a compromised account.

I don't have a Twitter but maybe I need to look into that route. I assumed Valve would have just outsourced their customer support to one of the many companies that specialize in that sort of thing, maybe not?

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    When I had my account hijacked, I had to send a picture of my barcode (from The Orange Box) along with my driver's license to Steam Support. I had my account back in a day. This was either last year or two years ago.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It took me about 4 weeks to get a response from them in regards to gaining access to an account maybe a year or two ago.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Also, be sure that the original e-mail from Steam Support actually came from Steam Support and not from someone phishing your information.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Before someone @'s me ;)

If you want to know the current state of Steam Support, check out my experience: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/39ingj/my_tale_of_steam_support_woe/

tl;dr: It's utter shit and you'll be lucky to get a response, let alone something helpful. You can try email/tweeting Gabe and/or Steam_Support, but it had no effect for me. If you look around the Steam subreddit, you'll see tons of threads about people having their accounts hijacked and asking how much longer should it take to hear back. I think they're currently taking even longer than usual, especially with hijacked accounts. Everything I'm seeing looks to me like "It's your fault your account got stolen" and little help. I'd count on at least several weeks before you get the usual bullshit automated response.

I'm truly sorry you're having to deal with this as I wouldn't wish Steam Support on my worst enemy and it's really changed the way I think about digital distribution. They can pretty much do what they want with your account and have no accountability and you have no recourse. It's pretty disgusting.

• Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I'm honestly baffled here, I've always had good experiences with Steam support in the past.

Still no response on either support ticket.