As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/john-boehner-to-resign-from-congress.html?_r=0

Congressman John Boehner announced today that he will be resigning his position as house speaker and from congress overall on October 30th. No reason has been given yet but a looming government shutdown, recent visit from the Pope (Boehner is Catholic), and vehement opposition from within his own party is fueling speculation as to why. He's expected to speak again later today about his precise reasoning.

I heard someone on NPR mention that hard line conservatives are withdrawing their opposition to a continuing resolution in response to Boehner's resignation. If it's true I suspect some back room deals happened and he was possibly all too happy to stop being everyone's punching bag.

Quid on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'll believe it when the government gets funded long term. If he resigned for two months, fuck you John Boehner and I hope you live long but not healthy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    oompa_loompa2_14e5a.jpg
    "I must go. My people need me."

Atomika on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I'm more amazed at people in his own party, cheering at his resignation. Openly cheering the impending chaos and tear of their party. It's just bewildering to me.

"No true scotsman" indeed.

As Harry Reid pointed out, Boehner's resignation signals the end of Eisenhower and Reagan republicans. But let's be honest here for a second, if you considered yourself either of those you're either a Democrat or a very-very-very moderate conservative. It's why I left the party. I was no longer represented and the party no longer represented my views. The liberal party pretty much welcomed me with open arms and cake.

But cheering for your party leaders resignation? This is why we can't have nice things.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Despite his popularity Paul Ryan has said he has no interest in the job proving he has some survival instinct.

Gotta say whoever does step forward, McCarthy or whoever, they're probably screwed.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    At this point basically anyone who isn't called "Lord Vetinari" would be screwed.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Unless they basically split off a big chunk of republicans and caucus with the democrats any house republican leader is going to be basically a punching bag. They don't have the votes to do anything the hard core are demanding so unless they basically just shut everything down and walk away they will wind up forced to do the exact same things the carrot was.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Despite his popularity Paul Ryan has said he has no interest in the job proving he has some survival instinct.

Gotta say whoever does step forward, McCarthy or whoever, they're probably screwed.

I'm curious as to how that will play out, honestly

If a Teaper gets the job and just stops all legislation cold, how does the party at large respond to that? How does the base? Or the electorate?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    1. Request to not use childish nicknames
    2. I hope he made a deal as part of this to get a clean CR passed, stepping down is a bargaining chip so I hope he at least got something worthwhile

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Bad news. A sad day for the Congress and the party.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    At this point basically anyone who isn't called "Lord Vetinari" would be screwed.

I'd vote Vetinari for anything.

If he'd let me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The issue I have is that the buzz on the CR was just two months. So if that's what Boehner stepped down for that's not anything. It delays the fight and we'll be doing this bullshit again in 2 months.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The problem is that the republicans are kind of in a poor position narrative wise. If they do something that helps everyone, it looks good for Obama, and if they act obstructionist and crazy they look bad because they can't keep their people from talking to the press about their craziness. Their best plan is to have Boehner take a bullet and bring the budget up for a yes or no vote. Then have the senate push it through with a lot of belly aching. After that they get a replacement from obscurity who has been there a while but hasn't really done anything, who will just kick most things down the road until after 2016 elections.

• Options
    from http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/09/25/boehner-resigns/
    Boehner, a devout Catholic, said Pope Francis’s visit to Capitol Hill Thursday was “emotional,” and he teared up when recalling the pope asking him to pray for him in a private moment in the Capitol. But he said he had long contemplated stepping down — planning at one point to announce his retirement on his birthday in November — and said the papal visit did not inspire his decision to retire.

“I don’t want my members to go through this, and I certainly don’t want the institution to go through this,” he said of the expected challenge to his leadership from conservatives.

The shocking move, first reported by The New York Times, means there’s unlikely to be a government shutdown next week. Following Boehner’s announcement, House Republicans said there was agreement to pass a clean spending bill to keep the government open. Several members of the Freedom Caucus, the conservative group which led the revolt against Boehner’s leadership, said they will now support the spending bill without demands that it include language to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood.

“The commitment has been made that there will be no shutdown,” said Rep. John Fleming (R-La.).

The House intends to vote next week on a clean spending bill and then move on budget reconciliation legislation — where, Republicans said, both repealing the Affordable Care Act and stripping Planned Parenthood of funding will be considered.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    1. Request to not use childish nicknames
    2. I hope he made a deal as part of this to get a clean CR passed, stepping down is a bargaining chip so I hope he at least got something worthwhile

I doubt the Democrats would accept less than 1 year, and some in the Republican side would want more than 1 year. 14 months would put it to December 1 and after the election.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Sounds like your issue is that you want him to fall ill and suffer, which doesn't shock me in the slightest. Par for the course for the screeching left.

spool32 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    maybe he has information that this time the right will actually create a problem that can't be easily fixed and he doesn't want to take the blame.

• Options
    also http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/09/25/john-boehners-resignation-means-there-wont-be-a-government-shutdown-yet/
    Some Republicans are speculating that Boehner’s lame-duck status could free his hand to act on other measures that have bipartisan support but are despised by hard-line conservatives.

Those measures could include an reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank, an extension of the federal debt ceiling, or a long-term highway bill. All of them have been opposed by the same conservatives who have pushed for Boehner’s ouster.

“He gets a chance to really go out on a high note and now I think you’ll see a few things in October,” said Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio). “I expect to see a very busy month in October.”

• Options
    from http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/09/25/boehner-resigns/
    Boehner, a devout Catholic, said Pope Francis’s visit to Capitol Hill Thursday was “emotional,” and he teared up when recalling the pope asking him to pray for him in a private moment in the Capitol. But he said he had long contemplated stepping down — planning at one point to announce his retirement on his birthday in November — and said the papal visit did not inspire his decision to retire.

“I don’t want my members to go through this, and I certainly don’t want the institution to go through this,” he said of the expected challenge to his leadership from conservatives.

The shocking move, first reported by The New York Times, means there’s unlikely to be a government shutdown next week. Following Boehner’s announcement, House Republicans said there was agreement to pass a clean spending bill to keep the government open. Several members of the Freedom Caucus, the conservative group which led the revolt against Boehner’s leadership, said they will now support the spending bill without demands that it include language to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood.

“The commitment has been made that there will be no shutdown,” said Rep. John Fleming (R-La.).

The House intends to vote next week on a clean spending bill and then move on budget reconciliation legislation — where, Republicans said, both repealing the Affordable Care Act and stripping Planned Parenthood of funding will be considered.

FUCK YOU! Seriously jesus let it god damn go.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Sounds like your issue is that you want him to fall ill and suffer, which doesn't shock me in the slightest. Part for the course for the screeching left.

who are you talking to?

• Options
    I guess it's been a matter of time, for a while. I feel like my hope for a better House caucus is gone.

Trading his Speakership for Planned Parenthood is worthy.

• Options
    Sounds like your issue is that you want him to fall ill and suffer, which doesn't shock me in the slightest. Part for the course for the screeching left.

who are you talking to?

Preach, right up top.

• Options
    I guess it's been a matter of time, for a while. I feel like my hope for a better House caucus is gone.

Trading his Speakership for Planned Parenthood is worthy.

well, for about two months only, if the stuff I'm reading is accurate

better than no months, I guess

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

who are you talking to?

Preach, right up top.

It'd help if you used people's names instead of "screeching left."

• Options
    I'm also hardly the "screeching left" and that is a curse from the Gunslinger books, I've always liked it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TPM says they're aiming for McConnell next, which is pretty funny.

• Options
    also http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/09/25/john-boehners-resignation-means-there-wont-be-a-government-shutdown-yet/
    Some Republicans are speculating that Boehner’s lame-duck status could free his hand to act on other measures that have bipartisan support but are despised by hard-line conservatives.

Those measures could include an reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank, an extension of the federal debt ceiling, or a long-term highway bill. All of them have been opposed by the same conservatives who have pushed for Boehner’s ouster.

“He gets a chance to really go out on a high note and now I think you’ll see a few things in October,” said Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio). “I expect to see a very busy month in October.”

Now THIS would be interesting. I'd love to see him run a bunch of moderate legislation through the House with broad Democratic support, just to turn the knives against those on the Right who wanted him gone.

• Options
    Hoyer: 'Victory for dysfunctional government'
    Mike DeBonis · 12:44 PM
    House Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.), who has spent three decades in Congress, called Boehner’s resignation — and the circumstances behind it — a “big loss for the country and a loss for this institution.”

“This is a victory for dysfunctional government,” he said just off the House floor Friday. “This is a victory for confrontation. This is a victory for taking positions that one knows cannot and will not be adopted, and allowing the government to shut down, the debt [limit] to be breached and other things to happen if you don’t get your way.

“This is a vote for my way or the highway,” he continued, “and that’s not democracy. That’s not how the Congress of the United States works. That’s not how America works.”

from washpo's liveblog page

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Well its par for the course for the hard right, you give them one victory they want another. I'm still at a loss as to what they expect to gain by adding more gridlock to an already completely broken congress.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Now THIS would be interesting. I'd love to see him run a bunch of moderate legislation through the House with broad Democratic support, just to turn the knives against those on the Right who wanted him gone.

Yeah. Even just a god-damn highway bill would be great.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

who are you talking to?
    Preacher wrote: »

Dat timing tho

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Look, the last fifty-some times were flukes. This time, they'll get rid of that filthy health care for everyone nonsense.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Well its par for the course for the hard right, you give them one victory they want another. I'm still at a loss as to what they expect to gain by adding more gridlock to an already completely broken congress.

A broken government is a feature, not a bug.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    It just rankles me, that even in the face of losing this fight repeatedly they continue to do everything in their god damn power to keep losing the fight and hurting america. Either with shut downs or debt ceiling or whatever else.

Its like there's a key an peele sketch about a dude being a flamboyant asshole who happens to be gay picking on his coworker for not accepting his asshole behavior, at the end of the sketch it turns out the coworker is gay as well and the guy says "Oh I'm not persecuted I'm just an asshole." I wish the GOP congress would accept no one wants the bullshit they keep trying to pass and keep the fucking lights on without it being an ordeal, just for a freaking year.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i have to agree with this assessment

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/6/7504397/boehner-successful-speaker/in/9161376
    Boehner's job was a nightmare. And one of Boehner's particular charms was that he always seemed to know it. He didn't even pretend he was having fun. Asked about the rigors of his role, Boehner's response to Sherman was typically piquant. "Garbage men get used to the smell of bad garbage," he replied.

He then spent the rest of the interview defending his record from conservative activists. "I don't think they understand I'm as conservative as they are," he complained. "When I voted regularly, I had the eighth most conservative voting record in Congress. And the idea that I'm the establishment, that I'm some RINO, is just laughable. It really is."

John Boehner is giving up his House seat at the end of October. He is, by all accounts, tired of being the House's garbageman — tired of the coups against him, tired of threats to shut down the government, tired of getting nothing done, tired of being blamed for nothing getting done.

But garbagemen are important. And Boehner was a damn good garbageman at a time when House Republicans produced a whole lot of garbage.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Well, at least we can all rest easy knowing that whoever the new Speaker is, as soon as he does any slightest thing the 27% crowd doesn't approve of, he'll be out of the job, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    He's one of the worst speakers we've ever had, I know we're about to get worse, but that doesn't absolve Boehner of having lead one of the least productive, most destructive congress's of all time ALL TIME!

He authorized the ridiculous Gowdy fishing expedition, that alone should keep him in the hall of shame of house speakers. He made me long for a day of gods damned Newt Gingrich, GINGRICH!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Boehner is part of a dying breed in the House, an ideological partisan who was willing to compromise to get things done. For him, 20% of something was always better than 100% of nothing, and he understood the system, but more importantly he understood how to work the system.

His retirement is a victory for those who do now know the system, don't want to know the system, and would rather watch it all burn down than besmirch their ideological purity with compromise.

Ronald Reagan would be sick at seeing this.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Boehner resigning is a great example of making perfect the enemy of good. Boehner is a hardcore conservative that in the Eisenhower era would have been endorsed by the John Birch Society and considered a rightwing lunatic by everyone else. All that talk about him being "the last of the moderate republicans" is just the Overton window moving.

Buuuut, the Tea party is so hung up on ideological purity that Boehner becomes a spineless traitor that always surrenders. Just because he is aware that trying to hold the government hostage will tank America hard and the GOP harder.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I'd vote Vetinari for anything.

If he'd let me.

Well it is "one man, one vote".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Sounds like your issue is that you want him to fall ill and suffer, which doesn't shock me in the slightest. Par for the course for the screeching left.

Nah, we don't hate him - we mock him because he's easy to laugh at. This has been a long time coming, the harder right has been itching to get rid of him for years. Trump, Paul Ryan, Romney - those guys we loathe.

edit: He's what is laughingly called a moderate in the GOP, and moderate power has been fading since W. left the White House.

Harry Dresden on