As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    You're better off praying for a beam staff. The forge only turns your item into the next highest rarity of what was put into it.

So you'd only ever get a bolt staff or a dwarf hammer from that input, 80% chance of bolt staff for 4 of em and 20% for the hammer.

Oh I thought it was fully random, didn't realize it was based on the input (unless you put in 5 of the same). That is good to know.

How does the prayer thing work? Does it eat the trinket? Or is that just used to determine what class its for?

It just determines the class the outcome is for.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Heh, made about 15 ranged wizard weapons of varying quality. Only bolt and fireball staves. I am starting to think my version of the game doesn't have beam staves in it.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yea, you just put in the trinket and then push the sliders around for what you want.
    Go to the Sigmar Shrine
    Since you want a beam staff, you put in the Bright Wizard trinket, and then slide the ranged glyph in place. Then you just spend tokens/scrap that you have enough of. Keep in mind, that specific type is more expensive than random.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Played a game with Rius and friends on Horn. Level started, bunny hopping down the street and suddenly died when I landed. I guess the in-game characters got tired of my jumping =\

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Those were two rough games! Getting to the finale, even halfway through the finale, with 3 tomes 2 grims and ending with 2 tomes 0 grims is emasculating.

The first run I blame myself, the second run I don't know how that fell apart. The finale of Enemy Below is so easy ordinarily.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    We still won both of them and got loots, so is all good.

Rius also blew himself up, so that was amusing.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    If anyone wants to play with me I've joined the PA group and my steam account is right here.

I've only been playing for a few days but I'm already almost level 20, have several exotics and am already almost burned out on pubs. So many idiots I don't even understand it. Seriously just had a game where we were doing 3 tome/2 grim hard horn and the Witch Hunter drank both draughts from 25% even though two of us had been downed earlier and were bleeding out. Groups insist on using the bridge by the horn despite wiping because of people falling off or chip damage from three different angles of attack. There is the gate at the bottom of the stairs that is so much better for the swarm, no chance of falling, only one direction enemies can come from, I just don't get it.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    if you get Packratted by the gate during the swarm though, you're as good as dead, and there's no time to spot and kill them otherwise. That's the primary reason I advocate for the bench strat.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    There's a lot more sight lines for window than for bench. If you're having trouble with specials at window then it's on your dwarf/ES not sniping well enough. At bench it's very possible to have a poison lobber show up and start tossing from somewhere you can't see to shoot.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    dFClFdo.jpgFQDBSr1.png?3

Thusly armed I began my journey into Cataclysm. Man the Ramparts and Smuggler's Run were easy one shots. Horn, Enemy Below, and Engines of War took 2-3 tries each in pubs, but we did book heavy runs. That leaves Supply and Demand, Wizard's, BP, and Morr as decently pubbable maps, and Wheat and Chaff, Well Watch, and White Rat as things I will bang my head against the wall to finish.

Man the Ramparts is actually so easy I can solo it with bots if noone feels like joining. I am unsure if that is better loot than doing book heavy NM runs after the loot update, I need more data.

• Options
    Vermintide got a mention in Jerry's newspost today =)

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Wait is it because he thinks it will be dangerous, or because he think it may be safely avoided??

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    This game really needs some limiters on how much it can throw at you at once. I just had 3 Packmasters, an Ogre, and a Horde at the same time.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had horrible connection timeout issues this past week? It seems like every other time I get on I can't successfully join a single game.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    No issues here. I host most of the time, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I'm wishing there was a difficulty between Nightmare and Catalyst.

Or at least an increase in difficulty other than simply skyrocketing enemy damage, which always comes off as the laziest way to increase difficulty. Increase mob sizes, make enemy AI more aggressive and attack more often, anything other than "4 hits from an underfed slave rat swinging a torch as a weapon kills you".

• Options
    For the most part it doesn't matter how large a horde/ambush is. As long as there's no specials you can sit in a choke and stunlock everything while taking zero damage. It's the specials that are dangerous, more by forcing you to break your formation in some way that lets the tiny rats in than in the damage they do themselves (except Stormvermin, they do the deeps).

I don't really know what way they could change about specials that would give you what you want though. Spawning too many specials at once can already rapidly wipe a group, especially if you get the ones with disables.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Well there you go! Cataclysm does the same damage as nightmare, but can spawn more specials at once! That's a lot better than the current common rats doing one quarter of your health per hit.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Ha ha, tried a bunch of Wheat & Chaff runs on cataclysm.

3 runs before we could even get past Oleysha's carriage.

6 failed runs where seven stormvermin would spawn by the halfway point to the right side gate. We never even made it to the gate.

• Options
    New PTR patch has the "reroll all traits" and "reroll trait percentages" features added. Took a while for them to get them out =( The return of people to this game is not as prodigious as I'd hoped, myself included.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    New PTR patch has the "reroll all traits" and "reroll trait percentages" features added. Took a while for them to get them out =( The return of people to this game is not as prodigious as I'd hoped, myself included.

what are the costs for each?

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

what are the costs for each?

Not terrible, apparently! Single digits for each function, less costly as rarity increases. I don't know if that's a PTR thing or not.

• Options
    There is now an incredibly comprehensive Steam guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600269667

Includes pretty much anything you could think of.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    steamcommunity.com/games/235540/announcements/detail/698424015497523753
    Trait Changes
    - Added ability to swap traits of a weapon at the Shrine of Solace:
    The new Offer option lets you spend tokens to swap the traits of a weapon. After spending tokens you will be presented with a set of new traits. You may then choose to select your current traits or the new ones.
    The costs for Offer are 8 Common / 6 Rare / 5 Exotic based on the rarity of the weapon.

- Added ability to re-roll value of a trait:
    The new Invocate option lets you spend tokens to improve the value of an unlocked trait. The costs for Invocate are 10 Common / 8 Rare / 6 Exotic based on the rarity of the weapon.

- Equalized trait unlocks:
    Traits could previously only unlock in 0.5% increments. Meaning a trait that had a minimum value of 1% and maximum of 3% could only ever roll 1%, 1.5%, 2%, 2.5% or 3%. This made traits with high percentage differences such as 20-40% very tedious to re-roll - and not very cost efficient. Now every trait has the same amount of steps between minimum and maximum values. Doing this lets us ensure consistency in the re-roll system and keep a low cost on re-rolling. Any traits that are already unlocked will keep their current value.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I've been playing this a bit lately, mostly with randoms.

I've been trying to find a good breakdown of what loot tiers are generally available for each difficulty. Specifically, what's the lowest difficulty I could feasibly grind and still manage to get hats or Veteran weapons?

Currently I think hats and veteran weapons are the only things you can't really just grind out using the Shrine. Of course, I mostly just want them for collection's sake but if you can only really feasibly grind them on Cataclysm or something then I'll probably have to pass on them because I'm not really interested in doing that.

Lars on
  • Options
    You will have to do book heavy Cataclysm runs if you want to collect veteran items I'm afraid.

Veteran items are only available on Nightmare plus. Nightmare has a moderate chance (50% or thereabouts, unless its been changed since I last kept track) of having a one as the highest loot reward. Cataclysm is guaranteed to have one in the top slot, and has a small chance (10% or so) of also having one in the second slot.

If you do 2 grim 3 tome runs you'll need about 30 runs on Nightmare to get a veteran item on average and about 10 on Cataclysm. Doing anything less than 2G3T greatly decreases your chances; even doing 1G3T cuts your odds about in half.

There are 40 veteran weapons, 4 veteran hats, and I think 30ish exotic hats. If you just stick to Nightmare it should take you well over 2000 runs to complete a collection.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Don't forget the map name contest, 100 dlc's are up for grabs: vermintide.com/namenick/

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    You will have to do book heavy Cataclysm runs if you want to collect veteran items I'm afraid.

Veteran items are only available on Nightmare plus. Nightmare has a moderate chance (50% or thereabouts, unless its been changed since I last kept track) of having a one as the highest loot reward. Cataclysm is guaranteed to have one in the top slot, and has a small chance (10% or so) of also having one in the second slot.

If you do 2 grim 3 tome runs you'll need about 30 runs on Nightmare to get a veteran item on average and about 10 on Cataclysm. Doing anything less than 2G3T greatly decreases your chances; even doing 1G3T cuts your odds about in half.

There are 40 veteran weapons, 4 veteran hats, and I think 30ish exotic hats. If you just stick to Nightmare it should take you well over 2000 runs to complete a collection.

That's a bummer.

I kind of hope they just upgrade the Shrine to let you dump a metric ton of tokens into it to get them or something, as I'd much rather slowly grind to them on a more relaxing difficulty.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    This is coming to PS4 at some point, yes?

How decent is the A.I. when soloing (or is that simply not an option)? I mostly played L4D with the A.I.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    due to the melee nature of this game, the AI can get bogged down, though i think there was some work on it at some point last year, but still not up to scruff

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    They're also supposedly adding a solo play mode.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You can solo normal and maybe hard well enough with bots. Sometimes they'll just stare at your broken body, bleeding out on the pavement, no sign of compassion or attempt to revive in their cold, lifeless eyes, but usually so long as they're providing alternative targets and doing some damage, it's manageable.

You'll never get good loot chances though, as bots can't be told to pick up tomes or grimoires. I'd say just play with pubs, really.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Iirc I've seen bots pick up tomes, when not holding anything else in the third slot?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Iirc I've seen bots pick up tomes, when not holding anything else in the third slot?

I heard, that if you use the "Here it is!" target item notification button, the bots will be more likely to pick up the tome/grim.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Bots will pick up a tome if there is nothing else but drop it as soon as they see a healing item.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bots are pretty bad, and they tend to bug out entirely if they detect that a Gunner Rat is anywhere on the map. They also occasionally decide to not jump down off a ledge when you do and instead just watch from above as an assassin or packmaster no doubt sneaks up on you.

Literally all of my mission failures on the lowest difficulty (except in the final mission) are due to the bots either abandoning me or because they decided to just stand next to me and watch me bleed out instead of reviving me. You can counter the first problem by excessively babysitting them, but that can be a little tiring, and I haven't really found a solution to what to do when they just decide to sit there and watch you die.

That said, it's something I fully expect that they will improve before attempting to release it on a console.

On the flipside, the bots always use whatever the host has equipped on those characters, so you can make them somewhat effective in combat...to a degree. They heavily favor melee combat so the Bright Wizard bot is pretty terrible (though that can be solved by playing as the Bright Wizard or the Witch Hunter, because then you won't get a Bright Wizard bot). Also, there is little point in worrying about what gear is on your Witch Hunter if you're not playing as him because you'll never get a Witch Hunter bot (unless someone joins your game as the Witch Hunter and then drops out).

The game always picks bots in a specific order (if they're not replacing an actual player who dropped out). Witch Hunter is fifth on that list, so he never gets picked since it's a 4-player game. Bright Wizard is fourth, so she only gets picked if you're playing one of the first three. Dwarven Ranger is third. I'm not sure who is first and second out of the other two, but I think Waywatcher is second and Imperial Soldier is first. It's possible they'll randomize it in a future patch since that setup is a little silly.

Also, remember that each character can equip the same trinket even if you only have one of them, so if you get the AoE Heal trinket, you can equip it on all of them and then everyone gets some free health whenever anyone else nearby uses a healing item. You can also throw a Luck Trinket on all of them to increase the odds of finding Cursed Dice in a chest.

They will pick up a tome if they don't have anything in that slot, but the very first time they find a healing item they will drop the tome to carry the healing item instead, which makes it a little unworkable unless you can manage to always grab all the healing items first. I don't think they can pick up Grimoires though.

• Options
    Bots can also be fucking awesome additions to a party of two or three players. :) They can tank forever while you and your buddies kill off the rats.
    I think we first finished hard Wheat & Chaff a few months ago thanks to a bot Kruber that just. Wouldn't. Die.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Bots can also be fucking awesome additions to a party of two or three players. :) They can tank forever while you and your buddies kill off the rats.
    I think we first finished hard Wheat & Chaff a few months ago thanks to a bot Kruber that just. Wouldn't. Die.

This is so true. We had our 4th bail at the finale of Horn on Nightmare and Kruber bot took over. We were all sitting in the alcove at the bottom of the stairs waiting for the rats.

Not UberKruber. He charged headlong into the fray and unleashed a hellish onslaught on the unsuspecting rat men. No bullshit, we counted, the entire finale only 12 rats made it past him to us. When we all jumped down after the floor opened up and booked it to the stagecoach, thinking he was surely dead.

He beat us there. Kruberbot OP.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Been playing solo a bit, and as a result getting more experience with babysitting the bots.

As far as I can tell, them not helping you when you get downed is basically down to two things (provided you didn't jump on the geometry of the level to somewhere they can't figure out how to path to).

1. They detect a Ratling Gunner anywhere on the map. If this is the case, then that Gunner is their number one priority and they seriously do not give a shit that you are bleeding to death on the floor and the game is going to end. They will spend all of their time alternating between hiding behind cover and attempting to get to that Gunner (no matter where on the map he is) until he is dead. And if he is in a place they can't path to, they will happily stand still and do nothing until he moves somewhere they can try to get to.
    2. When a Packmaster grabs someone, they will make an effort to attack the Packmaster if they can, just as they would any other special enemy that engages the group (ie. they prioritize it over normal rats, but if there is another special enemy that is closer they're going to deal with that first). Note that I said "attack the Packmaster" and not "rescue the person that got hooked." They do not give a shit about whoever got hooked, and should the Packmaster ever get to the point that he sticks the hook in the ground and hangs the person in the air, then that person is dead because getting them down off that hook is the lowest priority item on the Bot's to-do list. If there is a rat to kill anywhere in their current zip code, or if there is a healing item to pick up, or if they feel like cleaning their finger nails, then that person on the hook is going to need to wait until they're done. Which means that 99 times out of 100 the person on the hook will die if it gets to that point.

As such, the bots can be a little more manageable as long as you stop every few feet to make sure they are all with you (in case you get hooked by a Packmaster--who they really need to make more noisy so you know he's out there like the Gutter Runner) and make sure to help them kill any Ratling Gunner they detect before attempting to do anything else (which generally means bringing a ranged weapon that can kill them in a single headshot--like the Handgun for Markus or Bardin--in cases where they are running around on ledges and stuff that players can't get to).

On a related note, the Bots will generally teleport to you whenever you reach specific points in the level if they have gotten separated from you. However, if they are currently fighting a special enemy (any enemy you can highlight by pinging them) then it seems they cannot teleport until it is dead. Strangely, a Bot that has been hooked by a Packmaster is not considered to be fighting and it can be teleported out of the hook and back to you (as long as the Packmaster is still dragging them around, if he's already raised them in the air then they can't teleport anymore).

As far as I can tell, they will also refuse to jump down off of ledges if they consider themselves to be engaged in combat. And if they detect a Ratling Gunner on the map, they consider themselves to be in combat even if they are doing nothing (due to not being able to path to wherever the Ratling Gunner currently is). So whenever you reach a point-of-no-return ledge, you have to make sure the Bots are ready to jump before heading down.

Based on my experience, Garden of Moor seems to be the best stage for solo farming. There are no Kegs of Black Powder or Sacks of Grain to carry, and no areas where you just have to sit and defend for a while. You just make your way to the end and destroy the support chains and you're done (and the Support Chains break quickly if you're playing as Markus or Bardin and carrying a two-handed hammer). Bonus points because the second Grimoire is after the majority of the spawn points for the Rat Ogre (and when soloing you should try to skip the first Grimoire and grab the second one so you're health is reduced for less of the level), and sometimes the Rat Ogre doesn't spawn at all. Plus the final Tome is really close to the end with very few potential health item spawn locations between there and the end (meaning if you get a Bot to pick up that Tome, there is less chance of them putting it down). I've actually managed to finish it with 1 Grimoire, 3 Tomes, and 2 Cursed Dice.

Though sometimes the Bots will outright refuse to pick up a Tome even if that item slot is empty and I haven't figured out why. They'll just stand next to it and do nothing even when you ping it (though if you put down your healing item to pick up the Tome, they'll grab that healing item in less than a second).