As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is User Generated Content Something Gamers Really Want?

ChufmoneyChufmoney Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
As a part of the gaming community I am curious to know how compelling you find the idea of user generated content? Do you think there will be enough gamers, yourselves included, that want to put the time into making levels for games like LittleBigPlanet? Are you that interested in playing levels that other users create? I don't know that there will be enough user generated content to make it the next big thing.

Chufmoney
www.eat-sleep-game.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chufmoney on

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe. Definite maybe.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think that user submissions are great, so long as there's a way to ensure the cream rises to the top. I don't want to download Joe Random's Megaman Powered Up level, but I'll do it if someone in the dev team vouches for it. Same thing with NWN modules. Everyone and their dog can make a shitty one for all I care, so long as there's a way to tell if it's good or not.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It depends what you mean by User Generated Content. Things like a "record mode" in games like Grand Theft Auto or Crackdown or anything where something outrageous might happen would be fantastic, I know it's been executed in one of the Burnouts, and is planned for Halo 3. I would love to see some crazy crap that people pull off.

As for maps, I just don't have the patience to go through trial and error to get something good that I'm proud of. Stuntman: Ignition should have a feature where people create maps in a level editor, and you can send them to your friends or something.

Wh...What was the question?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    User generated content on its own isn't enough. There need to be well thought out systems built around it for things like rating, uploading... hell, the creation of the content itself even needs to be streamlined enough that it's accessible for when Joe McAverage has a half-decent idea that he'd like to try making. This is why I (and 99% of this forum) are so interested in Spore, it looks like it might be one of the first user-content driven games to do everything right. With giant tribes of walking penii thrown in for good measure.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I want to know do you think enough people will involve themselves in the time it takes to make levels to make user generated content as big of a movement amongst the gaming community as a lot of analysts seem to think it will.
    Furthermore, are you yourself interested enough in the content that you think that you and others will actually put the time in to make content that is worth a damn?

Chufmoney on
    Chufmoney
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If it wasn't, the entire concept of a mod would have never been born or taken off on the PC.
    So... yes.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Do you have anything to contribute to your own thread, or are you just going to ask us questions?

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait, so are we restricting this to consoles specifically or what? Because PC gamers have generally taken the idea of user-made content for granted for practically ages now. It seems hardly new.

Oh, and what Recoil said.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Do you have anything to contribute to your own thread, or are you just going to ask us questions?

Nah, he's writing an article for his website, and is too lazy to do it himself, so he's just going to get some random forumers to do it for him.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One of the most critical thing is developer/publisher support for that user-created content. If it's just "hey you, here's our editor, have fun," then it's not going to go anywhere. If it's like what Bioware did for NWN, then it'll be great. (Though Bioware had an advantage in that D&D has a built-in audience already used to creating their own "content.")

And like others have said, there must be a way to separate the wheat from the chaff via ratings or something similar.

Oh, if you're just here to steal our comments, please have the class to do it with quotes and proper credits.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    As far as what I think. Well I think player generated content could be awesome, but I agree that it needs a rating system so that we can figure out which players make better content. That way if say playerx releases a new map or whatever we could see other work he has done. I was thinking more in the scheme of consoles.
    I personally don't think I would put enough time into creating the content but I would love to play it. I just wonder if there would be enough people churning out content that it would make a wide enough library for those people like me that just want to play it.
    Also, I was thinking of this idea more in terms of content that is short in scale, like quick levels that you might play through in LittleBigPlanet.
    But you have made me think of another question? What type of user generated content would you like to see besides levels or maps? Would you like to see music? GH tracks?
    I guess I didnt have an exact idea of where i wanted this to go, i just wanted it to go so I could see what people had to say.

Chufmoney on
    Chufmoney
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

He's writing an article for his website, and is too lazy to do it himself, so he's just going to get some random forumers to do it for him.

I'm aware, I was prodding him to see if he would admit it.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

He's writing an article for his website, and is too lazy to do it himself, so he's just going to get some random forumers to do it for him.

That's User Generated Content, for you.

The whole article will be an example.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am not here to steal comments. I was just trying to start a conversation about it. I am not goign to write an article about it either. It's not like i get paid to write for my site. I just like using forums and hearing what people have to say like yourselves.

Chufmoney on
    Chufmoney
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Atheraal wrote: »
    User generated content on its own isn't enough. There need to be well thought out systems built around it for things like rating, uploading... hell, the creation of the content itself even needs to be streamlined enough that it's accessible for when Joe McAverage has a half-decent idea that he'd like to try making. This is why I (and 99% of this forum) are so interested in Spore, it looks like it might be one of the first user-content driven games to do everything right. With giant tribes of walking penii thrown in for good measure.

Bullshit.

Doom.

You go do some research into Doom, and come back and tell me again there needs to be those things for a modding community to thrive. Bullshit. People like making things and showing them off. It's a universal constant, anywhere you go in the world. People like building things. It's just that simple.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Congrats on posting the funniest thing I've read today.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Holy shit, I nearly just died reading that. A fucking winner is you.

edit: beat'd

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chufmoney wrote: »
    I am not here to steal comments. I was just trying to start a conversation about it. I am not goign to write an article about it either. It's not like i get paid to write for my site. I just like using forums and hearing what people have to say like yourselves.

That's cool then.

One thing I'm not keen on is paying for stuff other people have created. I'd only be comfortable if the cost is trivially low (think cents, not dollars), or if there's some official stamp of quality control.

Now, if I'm getting it free, then whatever... no harm done if I dl some kid's penis-shaped deathmatch map with naked chicks as wall textures.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well considering I have near a gig of Mods for Oblivion / Morrowind and more than a gig of Modules for NWN / NWN2 I would have to say yes. As far as rating the content most websites where you download them from almost always have a rating system or a means of telling which mods are downloaded the most.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That was a really great comment by the way. BA ZING!

Chufmoney on
    Chufmoney
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't mind paying for it, if it's an UBER micropayment. Like, what I get paid for a google ad click is what I'd want to pay for mass consumed UGC. Keep it under a thin dime and I don't have a problem.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have no problem with it as long as we're not being charged for it.

It would also be great if developers released some animation tools so people could create some machinima.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There will always be people with great ideas and free time, and crowdsourcing is a great way to find them. Example: Threadless. It may be t-shirts and not games but the same principles apply. This is the kind of system I believe is necessary for user created content to be marketed.

Good stuff for free is always awesome, but if I'm going to pay for user-created content, it had better be rated by the public, reasonably priced, and the author should receive some sort of compensation if their design is a good one.

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mods and custom maps have been around fo-evah. Two thumbs up from me.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As someone who has been modding for over four years now(where did the time go?), I say absolutely. I won't speak for everyone, but personally, its just the feel of things. Being able to say "I did that! God damnit, I did that!" or even "You guys talking about desert combat? Yeah, I like it too. I know the developers :)"

Yes, I say :)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not always all roses though. The Unreal Tournament community, all playing games that are extremely friendly to customization, ended up split into very vocal and prejudiced sects that want to play the game THEIR way and only their way. And yes, that includes the people that are ADAMANT about "games should only be fun, and the redeemer is fun!" because they are just as bad about pushing their opinions.

I'm all for indie game development, but I do see how it hurt (but definitely not killed) one of my favorite franchises.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hear that Big Game Hunters was rather popular.

...I'm not sure whether that's a for or against vote...

Edit: Or was BGH the official version of all the fan-created maps? I don't remember.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thread needs more Little Big Planet.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4491
    Watch the "sharing trailer".

bruin on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've always wanted a Myst MMO where players could write their own ages and explore the ages that other players wrote.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Garry's Mod seems like a good example of user-generated content since all it really does is facilitate generating content.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »

Edit: Or was BGH the official version of all the fan-created maps? I don't remember.

I think the normal map was just Hunters.

DoTA is the similar counterexample for Warcraft 3, but both games seem to work well with user-generated content. I'm actually kind of concerned how a Starcraft 2 would be able to beat Warcraft 3's editor without access to the fuckton of fantasy units that Warcraft 3 has.

jothki on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Counterstrike.

Thread over.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I think the normal map was just Hunters.

DoTA is the similar counterexample for Warcraft 3, but both games seem to work well with user-generated content. I'm actually kind of concerned how a Starcraft 2 would be able to beat Warcraft 3's editor without access to the fuckton of fantasy units that Warcraft 3 has.
    I haven't played Warcraft 3 very much, so I'm not really sure why Starcraft 2's editor would need to "beat" Warcraft 3's editor, and doesn't Starcraft have its own array of fantasy units?

In any case, what do units have to do with an editor? "More units" is really a component of the game itself, not of the editor, isn't it?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    Counterstrike.

Thread over.

I think that there is an interesting and important distinction to make between mods (especially professional mods) and other user-generated content.

To me, "user-generated" evokes thoughts of simple or easily-created content that is accessible to the entire player base. Most players of a game are not willing or able to create a (traditional) mod, but are able to create custom maps or settings fairly easily.

And in any case, isn't Counterstrike well past the user-generated stage?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always been a fan of user generated content, more people creating content means more perspectives and ideas that keep the content interesting. The only thing that can suck is sifting through crap to find the good stuff, but typically the really good stuff makes its way to the top and becomes well known. Yay user created content.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    Counterstrike.

Thread over.

I think that there is an interesting and important distinction to make between mods (especially professional mods) and other user-generated content.

To me, "user-generated" evokes thoughts of simple or easily-created content that is accessible to the entire player base. Most players of a game are not willing or able to create a (traditional) mod, but are able to create custom maps or settings fairly easily.

And in any case, isn't Counterstrike well past the user-generated stage?

Yeah, but it wasn't professional to begin with. It was just so incredibly good that it got scooped up by Valve at some point during its creation.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think as long as user generated conent isn't a substitute for content provided by the developer, and the comunity is well equipt to sift through the good and the shite, then it is only a good thing.

LewieP on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007

I <3 bitter cynicism. <3 :^: <3

I used to make Doom maps way back when, just for the fun of it.

Heck, I even converted the Aliens TC from Doom to Doom 2. Because I could.

Echo on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bullshit.

Doom.

You go do some research into Doom, and come back and tell me again there needs to be those things for a modding community to thrive. Bullshit. People like making things and showing them off. It's a universal constant, anywhere you go in the world. People like building things. It's just that simple.
    Yeah, but how many people outside that community ever saw those? I know I didn't.

Some form of support from the developer makes it easier for mods to actually reach users, instead of becoming classics to four people.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.