As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel's Jessica Jones, alias Alias

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited November 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Figured I'd make a new thread for this so the Daredevil thread can live free.

Jess-Jones-Poster-65f9b.jpg

Due out 11/20/2015, Jessica Jones, based on the comicbook "Alias" by Brian Michael Bendis, is the second Marvel Cinematic Universe show to arrive on Netflix. Focusing on the titular Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), a former superhero who had a REALLY bad day and has spent the time since drinking, fighting and running a detective agency called Alias Investigations. Also featuring Luke Cage (Mike Colter) - who will be getting his own series next year - and Patsy Walker (Rachael Taylor) and featuring the undeniable evil of Man in a Purple Suit (David Tennant)

Marvel's put out some teasers in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZE-NEJ2Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Epzx4STI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1IE6RJ6hTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKztuY_t9_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2hbejO75s

Marvel also put out a free prequel comic to lead up to the series.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Really bad day is putting it mildly
    It was a really bad eight months afaik

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Well, I didn't want to spoil things.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I know nothing about Jessica Jones other than assorted descriptions from people after this was announced, but I am super excited.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    was looking forward to all the Netflix shows when they were first announced and after Daredevil my excitement has only grown. cannot wait for this. :biggrin:

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to enjoy this as much as Daredevil. All I know about the source material is what people have posted on these forums.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    All i know about this is that I loved Krysten Ritter in Dont Trust the B and that alone makes me want to watch anything with her in it

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I mostly know Ritter for being Jane in BrBa and... That one ditz in Veronica Mars? Unreasonably excited for this show tho. We're getting the same Day 1 Dump of episodes again, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Also featuring Luke Cage (Mike Colter) - who will be getting his own series next year - and Patsy Walker aka Hellcat (Rachael Taylor) and featuring the undeniable evil of Man in a Purple Suit (David Tennant)

Just a note, but we don't actually know that Taylor is playing Hellcat. Marvel and Netflix haven't said anything to that effect, and no information has leaked out to indicate the character is a superhero in this setting.

She seems to just be a talk show host who is Jessica's friend.

• Options
    She is playing Patsy Walker but you are correct they haven't said if she'll also be running around as Hellcat.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I know nothing about Jessica Jones other than assorted descriptions from people after this was announced, but I am super excited.

you should be. jess is great, alias is great.

please, this, be great.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    All i know about this is that I loved Krysten Ritter in Dont Trust the B and that alone makes me want to watch anything with her in it

I became a fan with Breaking Bad. Which is weird since I watched Veronica Mars!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

I became a fan with Breaking Bad. Which is weird since I watched Veronica Mars!

She didn't exactly have a huge part in Veronica Mars, really.

I said this in the Daredevil thread, but I am really excited to see a full-length trailer, or something else that actually shows the...show. Ritter is a great actress, but my biggest worry when she was cast was that I thought her natural voice was a bit light for Jessica. I'm interested to see if she rasped it up any for the show.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Did the comic mention her raspy voice? Kind of a minor issue either way, though.

• Options
    No, but she is an extremely heavy smoker/drinker.

It's definitely minor, just me being overly nerdy and Jessica Jones being one of my favorites so me wanting everything to be completely perfect.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    People have said that the show's been pitched as more of a psychological thriller/mystery, which would be really awesome. And also explain what David Tennant is doing here, cuz he can play a delightfully creepy fuck when asked to.

So far the teasers are just kinda light and "hey look jessica is real strong", so hopefully we'll be getting a trailer soon that actually tells us what it's gonna be like.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    With Daredevil we started getting 1.5 minute trailers in early February, if what I'm seeing on Youtube is accurate, or about two months before it aired.

I wonder with the success they saw with that they don't feel the need to promote too heavily just yet. ~1.5 months out and it's all short clips, snippets, enough to get a sense of something but kept vague.

I'm guessing we'll see something more substantial soon, but for now I'm liking the little beats they're hitting, and cannot wait to marathon the shit out of it on release.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Netflix you have to staaaaahhhhhp!

I can't keep up! :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Super excited, even though I'm a little iffy on Ritter. But I fully admit this is based on the VM character and I have no problem being proven wrong.

• Options
    If there's one thing Marvel has shown they're genuinely good at, it's casting.

Sometimes they then don't give that person anything interesting to actually say, but the casting is usually pretty spot on!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I mostly know Ritter for being Jane in BrBa and... That one ditz in Veronica Mars? Unreasonably excited for this show tho. We're getting the same Day 1 Dump of episodes again, right?

apartment-23.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

she was great in that show

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

apartment-23.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

she was great in that show

A moment of silence for this great show, gone too soon.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just know her from Breaking Bad, where she was excellent at riding the line between "sympathetic" and "stone cold bitch you want to die in a fire."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The little clips that play up her super hero-ness are a little bland, but that first announcement teaser is super awesome and makes me hope they play this as a hard boiled PI genre series.

Because that would be super awesome and fit in with the new direction the Netflix series have taken the MCU.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think they've done a decent job establishing her character without her saying a word. Plus it grabs your attention. Which I had the opposite reaction to the swirly colors thing. But maybe you meant something else. Also different strokes etc.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So there is apparently a Free prequel comic up on Marvel Unlimited and Comixology.
    http://io9.com/see-jessica-jones-enter-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-i-1735167533

The original Alias team of Bendis and Gaydos are behind it, so its like an official MCU version of Jessica Jones.

Related: what do you guys think of the Marvel Unlimited App? Was thinking of getting a subscription as I am a Marvel Fanboy, but not sure if its worth the money.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So there is apparently a Free prequel comic up on Marvel Unlimited and Comixology.
    http://io9.com/see-jessica-jones-enter-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-i-1735167533

The original Alias team of Bendis and Gaydos are behind it, so its like an official MCU version of Jessica Jones.

Related: what do you guys think of the Marvel Unlimited App? Was thinking of getting a subscription as I am a Marvel Fanboy, but not sure if its worth the money.

I signed up for a month, and that at least was definitely worth it.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I subscribe. They pretty reliably put out comics from 6 months ago and slowly up the back issues. Older issues can be frustrating when they don't have complete storylines. The back issues in particular have problems with the panel-by-panel reading mode, but overall I think it's easily worth the price.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I've had a sub for 1+ years. Been catching up on a lot. Probably won't go more than another year as I will probably burn out or read everything I care about.
    But it also has Star Wars comics too.
    Non Disney yet that I am aware of.
    Note the PC website version is garbage, but on ipad/android the interface is good.

• Options
    the pc comic reader really is hot garbage

not unusable, but very unpleasant

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just caught the pilot of Don't Trust the B In Apartment 23 and Ritter is a goddamn treasure.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just caught the pilot of Don't Trust the B In Apartment 23 and Ritter is a goddamn treasure.

Yeah, if you haven't watched the series, it is definitely worth your while. Ritter is fantastic, plus it has James Vanderbeek playing himself, which is the best role I've ever seen him do.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tamin on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ok. Creepy. I like the marketing for this show so far.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Well, Tennant has definitely nailed creepy voice.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I think they've done a decent job establishing her character without her saying a word. Plus it grabs your attention. Which I had the opposite reaction to the swirly colors thing. But maybe you meant something else. Also different strokes etc.

Yeah, I think it's more because I want them to downplay the super hero side of the Netflix adaptations, and I liked what the colours and art evoked in the first one.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That newest lil' clip
    Purple Man definitely seems like he's got some powahs. Figured he'd just be a smart manipulative type guy, but yeeeeah. Lookin' pretty darn purple. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Oh shit I need this now.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    That newest lil' clip
    Purple Man definitely seems like he's got some powahs. Figured he'd just be a smart manipulative type guy, but yeeeeah. Lookin' pretty darn purple. ;P
    He's got to have the powers.

Thats by far the creepiest and most horrifying things about him.

Hard to believe he was ever a joke before Bendis got ahold of him with that power set.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.