As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]RIP Dominion 2011-2016. You will be missed (by Talith)

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Nuquinn is really strong in mid right now but probably not a good early buy. (I mean if you like EM buy EM). I can't think of any others that play like her, maybe MF (mobility on passive, aoe team fight ult, no dash though). Xin Zhao is kind of like Diana but AD instead.

Do you have all the 650 champs?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Something interesting I've noticed from a reddit post compiling Challenger jungler builds in Korea is that most Kindred players take RFC/Runaan and Steraks or Maw, sometimes both. Plus Ghostblade or Cleaver along with Warrior. Runes are a mix of AD, Armor and ATS, only one build with Arpen. This tells me that for some reason they are prioritizing shields over straight armor/hp/mr. I guess because she gets more mileage out of shields as opposed to defense?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Kindred doesn't have a shield none of the items up there have an active one. Generally you pick shields over HP because you can activate it when you want and essentially get free total HP. People treat the shields on Steraks/Maw like HP.

Steraks is bought because Koreans are bad at math and don't realize that Cleaver is better in almost every way. Though it isn't so bad in terms of timing it's overall an inefficient bundle of stats unless you have triforce and high base AD.

Maw is built because it's hilariously strong in terms of raw stats and the shield and passive are icing on the OP cake. (Though Steraks does synergize with it)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Steraks is more hp isn't?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Yes and cheaper. But it's basically all HP and getting full value is dependent on getting massively burst which is actually hard to achieve if you're in a poke war (super common) and/or you have low total HP (I.E. Are kindred).

I mean compare Steraks to component value. It's got 15-25 AD (doubled under shield but good luck using it) depending on level and 500 HP plus 1/3 HP maybe on a shield. About the same cost is pick axe plus two giants belts for 25 AD plus 760 HP.

For most hybdrid (tank/damage) items it's the case that two hybrid items is better than a dedicated tank/dedicated damage item. But this isn't the case with steraks. Two Steraks is 1000 HP and 50 AD. BT and Randuins is 850 HP, 60 Armor, a peel active, and 75 AD (plus crit damage reduction). Two cleavers is 700 HP, 40% CDR, and 110 AD

Sure the BT option is more expensive. But games are big long clearfests into pokefests which is basically the worst possible situation to have Steraks in. watch and see how often the sheild

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Yes and cheaper. But it's basically all HP and getting full value is dependent on getting massively burst which is actually hard to achieve if you're in a poke war (super common) and/or you have low total HP (I.E. Are kindred).

I mean compare Steraks to component value. It's got 15-25 AD (doubled under shield but good luck using it) depending on level and 500 HP plus 1/3 HP maybe on a shield. About the same cost is pick axe plus two giants belts for 25 AD plus 760 HP.

For most hybdrid (tank/damage) items it's the case that two hybrid items is better than a dedicated tank/dedicated damage item. But this isn't the case with steraks. Two Steraks is 1000 HP and 50 AD. BT and Randuins is 850 HP, 60 Armor, a peel active, and 75 AD (plus crit damage reduction). Two cleavers is 700 HP, 40% CDR, and 110 AD

Sure the BT option is more expensive. But games are big long clearfests into pokefests which is basically the worst possible situation to have Steraks in. watch and see how often the sheild

Oh oh for kindred. Iunno about poke wars though. My experience in soloq is that you can force a real fight pretty easily because people like to fight.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    The LCS has not been much of entertaining at all the season. The games I've watched are snoozer stompfests.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Oh oh for kindred. Iunno about poke wars though. My experience in soloq is that you can force a real fight pretty easily because people like to fight.

We are talking Korean challenger series. (Which to be fair is a lot more active and exciting than LCK but LCK kindreds/ADCs fucking love Steraks too)

Soloqueue is very different because

1) no one clears/farms as efficiently as pro gamers in solo queue. This makes poke weaker and engage stronger and also

2) people are more often out of position/fail to ward which makes picks easier.

Even then I would not recommend Steraks on someone like kindred. On a triforce user it's amazing though.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Penumbra wrote: »
    The LCS has not been much of entertaining at all the season. The games I've watched are snoozer stompfests.

Yep. I'm out.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »

To be fair, "stomp-fests" can be used to describe the current season as a whole.

It really feels like most games are basically ff20's. Which is great if you're doing the stomping, but it sucks when something goes wrong and you lose two turrets bot in one push and it requires the enemy team to basically throw to get back in it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I still think reworking the dragon reward was a huge mistake. It feels like the dragon buff has either been largely worthless (like now) or snowballs whoever gets it out of control. And it's difficult to gauge when the time to take it is, when it will benefit you, etc. Giving gold, on the other hand, is easy to understand, is always useful, and is something you'll always want.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    I still think reworking the dragon reward was a huge mistake. It feels like the dragon buff has either been largely worthless (like now) or snowballs whoever gets it out of control. And it's difficult to gauge when the time to take it is, when it will benefit you, etc. Giving gold, on the other hand, is easy to understand, is always useful, and is something you'll always want.

Dragon buffs 2 and 3 are getting buffed I believe next patch.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options

Dragon buff is a result of the winning rather than the cause of it.

One of the reasons that NA dominated the first day of worlds was that our early game strategic meta was quite far ahead of the rest of the worlds. (until the next day)

The world went for dragon to start a 5 dragon timer. NA stacked top lane and shoved towers. This baited the non-NA teams into doing dragon, and getting behind in terms of map pressure and gold. Then the NA teams took the next dragon.

Day two of course everyone realized this and played NA's meta and NA got stomped because we couldn't team fight. But day 1 showed the way and this is how everyone does it now.

So the timing of the first dragon will vary based on the game, but whomever gets the first one tends to get the rest, not necessarily because the buff is strong, but because they were winning anyway, and had already strangled the enemy team to the point where they could take dragon without losing gold on the other side of the map.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Man I love Poppy. Assists in the double digits all day!

On a related note, I don't understand the fixation on getting kills yourself all the time. I mean, if you get an assist, that means your team got a kill period. Players that incessantly go "ks" or "but muh KDA" when they get assists, even though we are WINNING confuse the heck out of me. Do you want to win the game or not? Would you rather your teammate stop damaging the enemy so that they have an opening to kill you instead? I understand that yes it's ideal if a kill goes to a carry, but when a toplane complains about losing a kill to a carry jungler or mid/bot, or whatever permutation of that, that's fine IMO. We got a kill. Who cares who got it, so long as WE got it.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Man I love Poppy. Assists in the double digits all day!

On a related note, I don't understand the fixation on getting kills yourself all the time. I mean, if you get an assist, that means your team got a kill period. Players that incessantly go "ks" or "but muh KDA" when they get assists, even though we are WINNING confuse the heck out of me. Do you want to win the game or not? Would you rather your teammate stop damaging the enemy so that they have an opening to kill you instead? I understand that yes it's ideal if a kill goes to a carry, but when a toplane complains about losing a kill to a carry jungler or mid/bot, or whatever permutation of that, that's fine IMO. We got a kill. Who cares who got it, so long as WE got it.

um i need gold so i can buy more infinity edges hello???

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Dragon buff is a result of the winning rather than the cause of it.

One of the reasons that NA dominated the first day of worlds was that our early game strategic meta was quite far ahead of the rest of the worlds. (until the next day)

The world went for dragon to start a 5 dragon timer. NA stacked top lane and shoved towers. This baited the non-NA teams into doing dragon, and getting behind in terms of map pressure and gold. Then the NA teams took the next dragon.

Day two of course everyone realized this and played NA's meta and NA got stomped because we couldn't team fight. But day 1 showed the way and this is how everyone does it now.

So the timing of the first dragon will vary based on the game, but whomever gets the first one tends to get the rest, not necessarily because the buff is strong, but because they were winning anyway, and had already strangled the enemy team to the point where they could take dragon without losing gold on the other side of the map.

Well, barring junglers capable of soloing it down and sneaking dragon 1 and such (not going to happen in pro play normally).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Still usually a bad idea because the other jungler will be taking your towers

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I knew Jhin would be a perfect fit for me.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Talith wrote: »

jhin is dank as fk and also stronk as fk

ppl mad underestimatin h1m, especially given how strong his synergy is with many suports

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Watching Jin Air's Soh Hwan play Poppy is so eye-opening.

• Options
    Cripes, I really do hope they fix this snowballing stuff soon.

Also would kill for a AP version of Giant Slayer.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Try to get a nice relaxed normal game. Queue for normal draft alone. Get stuck with the same 4man twice in a row. Fuck you matchmaking.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

jhin is dank as fk and also stronk as fk

ppl mad underestimatin h1m, especially given how strong his synergy is with many suports

he just fucking. Ugh so much sway in his hips and so many bing bang booms.

I love it.

(how do you make him say his custom taunts tho. )

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Spent some time catching up on NA LCS. Few random thoughts.
    Holy crap Reignover is good. Huni and the rest are no slouches or anything, but man Reignover is definitely the biggest reason Immortals are undefeated right now. Really impressive.

I thought TSM would be doing better what with all the talent and having a great shot-caller and world class player in Yellowstar. But they are so sloppy. What's going on there? Doublelift, Sven and Bjerg letting their ego keep them from following Yellow's calls?

Is C9 ever gonna let Hai retire? They look like hot garbage without him.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Holy crap Reignover is good. Huni and the rest are no slouches or anything, but man Reignover is definitely the biggest reason Immortals are undefeated right now. Really impressive.

I thought TSM would be doing better what with all the talent and having a great shot-caller and world class player in Yellowstar. But they are so sloppy. What's going on there? Doublelift, Sven and Bjerg letting their ego keep them from following Yellow's calls?

I think TSM and C9 have opposite problems.
    In interviews with new TSM I've heard that they shotcall somewhat democratically and that Sven is pretty vocal. I would not be surprised if everyone except Hauntzer tries to make calls in the heat of battle. I think that Yellowstar has an overall plan, but you have three other "star" players on that team and I can very easily see those stars relying on their own judgement and not necessarily following other calls. Their saving grace is that they are all talented players and they make up for poor early game coordination with strong teamfighting in midgame. It looks the same every game. Go even or fall behind in laning. Dlift gets caught out at least once per game for free. Then in midgame, somehow hold off the enemy team until they get a good fight and win an engage. Possibly throw at dragon or baron immediately afterward. Repeat holding off, win a teamfight, win game.

C9, well, even my buddy who hasn't played League in years can tell Hai is the boss of that team period. He watched the Saturday game with me and during the listen in postgame, he remarked on how loud Hai was and how strongly he ordered the team around. I don't think Bunny can match that style.

• Options

TSM, at least in the past, have always played the league version of street ball. They aren't coordinated on an overall game structure sense.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

In interviews with new TSM I've heard that they shotcall somewhat democratically and that Sven is pretty vocal. I would not be surprised if everyone except Hauntzer tries to make calls in the heat of battle. I think that Yellowstar has an overall plan, but you have three other "star" players on that team and I can very easily see those stars relying on their own judgement and not necessarily following other calls. Their saving grace is that they are all talented players and they make up for poor early game coordination with strong teamfighting in midgame. It looks the same every game. Go even or fall behind in laning. Dlift gets caught out at least once per game for free. Then in midgame, somehow hold off the enemy team until they get a good fight and win an engage. Possibly throw at dragon or baron immediately afterward. Repeat holding off, win a teamfight, win game.

C9, well, even my buddy who hasn't played League in years can tell Hai is the boss of that team period. He watched the Saturday game with me and during the listen in postgame, he remarked on how loud Hai was and how strongly he ordered the team around. I don't think Bunny can match that style.

They've already said they aren't even trying to make bunny do the same because that just wouldn't work. Which is really why changing things up is so much bigger than just a new shot caller. It's the entire team needing to play differently.

Also Hai said recently he's not really concerned about retiring currently. He's having fun again.

• Options

They've already said they aren't even trying to make bunny do the same because that just wouldn't work. Which is really why changing things up is so much bigger than just a new shot caller. It's the entire team needing to play differently.

Also Hai said recently he's not really concerned about retiring currently. He's having fun again.

Well, if that's the case then that's good that they recognize what is needed to get Bunny into a good place. Because you're right, that's a huge sweeping change needed for the team to incorporate Bunny's style effectively. It's also good that Hai is enjoying his time in LCS again. But it makes me wonder, what if Hai just keeps playing? What happens to Bunny? Are they going to keep him on indefinitely if Hai doesn't feel the need to step down for the foreseeable future?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Well, if that's the case then that's good that they recognize what is needed to get Bunny into a good place. Because you're right, that's a huge sweeping change needed for the team to incorporate Bunny's style effectively. It's also good that Hai is enjoying his time in LCS again. But it makes me wonder, what if Hai just keeps playing? What happens to Bunny? Are they going to keep him on indefinitely if Hai doesn't feel the need to step down for the foreseeable future?

Could be. I imagine that would also be up to Bunny. He would probably be given the choice to continue working from behind the scenes or look for another team. That's just conjecture though.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Does anyone know if Poppy's W stops dashes that originate and end within the W area? For example, if I an in melee with an Illaoi, and she tried to W onto me from right beside me while I have my own W active, will her W be interrupted since it is classified as a dash, but it is not entering nor exiting my own W active area?

Edit: WTH do you do when you get counterpicked as a melee champion in top with a Heimerdinger top into you? I mean jesus that is the definition of anti-fun.

Edit again: Nvm, I found some info on summoner school that should help in the future. I actually had a bit of the correct idea already, but was super wrong on the timing and so on. I also wonder why is it I never seem to get a "normal" matchup in top whenever I get Poppy. I've had an Azir, an Illaoi, and now a Heimer.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Poppy's W stops dashes that originate and end within the W area? For example, if I an in melee with an Illaoi, and she tried to W onto me from right beside me while I have my own W active, will her W be interrupted since it is classified as a dash, but it is not entering nor exiting my own W active area?

Edit: WTH do you do when you get counterpicked as a melee champion in top with a Heimerdinger top into you? I mean jesus that is the definition of anti-fun.

Edit again: Nvm, I found some info on summoner school that should help in the future. I actually had a bit of the correct idea already, but was super wrong on the timing and so on. I also wonder why is it I never seem to get a "normal" matchup in top whenever I get Poppy. I've had an Azir, an Illaoi, and now a Heimer.

Yes, it will cancel it. Think of it less as an entry/exit thing and more of as a zone of N.O.

Currently doing this season's climb back to diamond, plat 2 currently wee ! Seven game win streak, and never have I ever felt more disgusting than I did in my last game. Fiora vs Ryze top, and our Zac went on a camping trip in my lane. Ganked Ryze at level 3, 4, and 5. My level 3, 4, and 5 that is. Ryze was still level 3. After the 3rd gank we both went behind his tower immediately and waited in the tribrush until he was walking back to lane and killed him inbetween his turrrets. Tilted off the face of the planet and enemies spamming in all chat about their junglers is what I live for

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You know, I think the most enjoyable games I've had are where I just get on a rampage out of jungle and it's not even picks anymore it's just me deciding I want someone dead.

Probably the power trip, but it's also about the minimum for teammates to actually think the jungler is doing a good job.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Yes, it will cancel it. Think of it less as an entry/exit thing and more of as a zone of N.O.

Currently doing this season's climb back to diamond, plat 2 currently wee ! Seven game win streak, and never have I ever felt more disgusting than I did in my last game. Fiora vs Ryze top, and our Zac went on a camping trip in my lane. Ganked Ryze at level 3, 4, and 5. My level 3, 4, and 5 that is. Ryze was still level 3. After the 3rd gank we both went behind his tower immediately and waited in the tribrush until he was walking back to lane and killed him inbetween his turrrets. Tilted off the face of the planet and enemies spamming in all chat about their junglers is what I live for

Haha one of my favorite games ever was as Maokai jungle before they nerfed his W range. 3 ganks on enemy mid Annie and the game was OVER. Getting Katarina 3 free kills and an assist (the enemy Udyr showed up once), along with a 2+ level lead, payed dividends quick. Getting Annie on tilt was just icing really. I probably could've afked at that point really.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hey, patch notes.

Alistar's going to be fucking obnoxious to deal with in lower MMR games now that his combo's easier to perform. Xin's going to be ridiculous for a while. Expect assassin meta thanks to Duskblade.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm afraid of this patch. I hate Zed and I'm kind of worried he's going to do scary horrible things with Duskblade.

On the other hand, Jarvan will too. I think it'll be scary on Graves as well and he's probably going to drop out of pick/ban just in time to try it out.

butts
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    lol look more kog fixes to try and address his early game shittiness

wow who saw that coming

• Options
    GP getting nerfed on PBE. Kinda hard I think. Barrels cap at 3. His ult upgrades are cheaper now, though.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Parrrley gives flat four gold/Serpents on kill rather than scaling up as well, which is probably why his ult upgrades are cheaper. The barrel cooldown is changing as well to two higher at base rank but two lower at max rank.

They aren't touching his damage or how crazy good his ult is so he'll still largely be strong if those changes go through.

butts
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Hey, patch notes.

Alistar's going to be fucking obnoxious to deal with in lower MMR games now that his combo's easier to perform. Xin's going to be ridiculous for a while. Expect assassin meta thanks to Duskblade.

I learned to do his combo exclusively through ARAMs. But I have yet to play him in SR, though I suspect this will be changing soon.