As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Patch 3.3 is live, Get to it!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Any idea what minions will be classified as poppets? What the heck is a poppet?

Puppet/doll. So most of the NPC minions for example.

The definition of poppet: a small figure of a human being used in sorcery and witchcraft.

True, I guess I should have asked google. ;)

Though aren't most of the NPC's named "Wind-up <name>". The "wind-up" part makes me think that they'd be gadgets.

Yup I think most are called "Wind-up X" but they'll definitely be classed as Poppets. The gadgets will be things like the airship minion, or the mine cart for example.

I only included the definition because while I am familiar with the word I was curious what the actual definition was that made it apply in this case and thought I would share that. :)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Makes sense. Maybe this'll get me to start hunting down some of the minions I like the look of, but never got around to acquiring.

Though farming sunken temple (hard) is not exactly something I'm looking forward to, to get the Mummy. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Do you guys think the new patch will bring back enough people to affect the PvP queue?

It's frustratingly absurd right now.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm imagining people fielding Midgardsormr. And him being all "I am the dreadwyrm! Lord of dragons! Think thou that dolls and kittens can contend with- ow! OW! Get off!"

• Options
    Do you guys think the new patch will bring back enough people to affect the PvP queue?

This depends a lot on the time of day and your GC. I was running PvP last night with queues of about 2-5 minutes as Maelstrom, but we are far less populated than say Flames who tend to have really long queues because of it.

Also if you get into a game and requeue right away you'll often get in with the same pack of people and that can shorten your queue times as well.

In short the issue isn't really a lack of players, but more an imbalance in GC distribution in PvP. Players tend to migrate towards the GC they see as "more successful" which in turn boosts that GC's queue times. This also causes the GC to become less successful over time as poor players will switch often, and will cause another shift later on when the balance tips.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm still leveling DRG and the new lv 54 skill confuses me . Am I supposed to stack it with my other Jump buff for now? Will this make sense at 60?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm still leveling DRG and the new lv 54 skill confuses me . Am I supposed to stack it with my other Jump buff for now? Will this make sense at 60?

Yeah, when you first get Blood of the Dragon, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

By level 60, though, you'll need to have BotD up to activate your new 4th combo skills (which increase the duration of BotD when they hit).

And Geirskogull is some nice off-GCD AoE damage that consumes BotD duration.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

This depends a lot on the time of day and your GC. I was running PvP last night with queues of about 2-5 minutes as Maelstrom, but we are far less populated than say Flames who tend to have really long queues because of it.

Also if you get into a game and requeue right away you'll often get in with the same pack of people and that can shorten your queue times as well.

In short the issue isn't really a lack of players, but more an imbalance in GC distribution in PvP. Players tend to migrate towards the GC they see as "more successful" which in turn boosts that GC's queue times. This also causes the GC to become less successful over time as poor players will switch often, and will cause another shift later on when the balance tips.

Blargh. Hopefully these fair weather Flames people will leave soon then. I've been Flames since the choice was first offered a million years ago. Don't make me suffer!

My queue is 30min on the short side to over 1 hour. But I frequently can't wait that long so I log-in, wait in queue, and the log-off without anything happening.

This is giving me flashbacks to sitting in Jeuno shouting for parties as melee DPS.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

Blargh. Hopefully these fair weather Flames people will leave soon then. I've been Flames since the choice was first offered a million years ago. Don't make me suffer!

My queue is 30min on the short side to over 1 hour. But I frequently can't wait that long so I log-in, wait in queue, and the log-off without anything happening.

This is giving me flashbacks to sitting in Jeuno shouting for parties as melee DPS.

Yeah I can image that would be very frustrating. On the flip side when flames do queue, in general they tend to win right now (at least from what i've seen/heard). From my perspective, even though I get into a fight in a decent amount of time, we usually end up getting third place, sometimes second. I did have a couple wins in a row last night which was a happy surprise, but that was win our team was much more coordinated and wasn't stupidly fighting out in the middle of nowhere, or when the adders decided to actually fight the flames for a bit instead of just running us down all match. I tend to rack up exp a bit quicker but i'm making next to no progress on the win based achievements.

I've also switched from playing as a summoner, to playing as Astologian because I feel more influential in the fight. As summoner as could rack up 200k+ damage and 7-8 kills in a match but we would still lose horribly and I would get focused down like crazy if I took even a step too far. As Astrologian I found I can do a damned good job of keeping my party (and to a limited extent other alliance members) alive so we wouldn't get routed. This ended up with us being able to better hold points and have more successful attacks. It's also very satisfying to deny the enemy a kill by healing up someone they are trying to focus down. You can almost feel their will sapped away as they have to turn tail because they aren't receiving as much support.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Yeah I can image that would be very frustrating. On the flip side when flames do queue, in general they tend to win right now (at least from what i've seen/heard). From my perspective, even though I get into a fight in a decent amount of time, we usually end up getting third place, sometimes second. I did have a couple wins in a row last night which was a happy surprise, but that was win our team was much more coordinated and wasn't stupidly fighting out in the middle of nowhere, or when the adders decided to actually fight the flames for a bit instead of just running us down all match. I tend to rack up exp a bit quicker but i'm making next to no progress on the win based achievements.

I've also switched from playing as a summoner, to playing as Astologian because I feel more influential in the fight. As summoner as could rack up 200k+ damage and 7-8 kills in a match but we would still lose horribly and I would get focused down like crazy if I took even a step too far. As Astrologian I found I can do a damned good job of keeping my party (and to a limited extent other alliance members) alive so we wouldn't get routed. This ended up with us being able to better hold points and have more successful attacks. It's also very satisfying to deny the enemy a kill by healing up someone they are trying to focus down. You can almost feel their will sapped away as they have to turn tail because they aren't receiving as much support.

Oh glob Astro seems damn near invincible in PvP. I don't actually know what their spells do so I can't say why but they seems to be able to outheal damage from SO MANY people at once it's insane.

But Yes I guess it's nice that Flames do tend to win a lot(I was at like 48% 1st place last I checked) BUT honestly more games would be moving my PvP rank up faster.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Oh glob Astro seems damn near invincible in PvP. I don't actually know what their spells do so I can't say why but they seems to be able to outheal damage from SO MANY people at once it's insane.

But Yes I guess it's nice that Flames do tend to win a lot(I was at like 48% 1st place last I checked) BUT honestly more games would be moving my PvP rank up faster.

Nocturne Aspected Benefic: 575 potency instant heal/shield
    Synastry: +20% healing potency. 40% bonus heal on the synastry target on casting any single target heal
    Lightspeed: 2.5 cast time reduction and 25% MP cost reduction on any spell for 10s. Any spell that is 2.5s or less in cast time is instant as a result (ie: Every single heal except Aspected Helios).
    Essential Dignity: 400-800 potency instant heal. Potency increases as the target HP decreases.

The fact that ASTs have a zero CD instant cast heal which is of good potency is the key reason why ASTs are such good healers in PvP. Pressuring a healer to stop moving so they can employ their chunkier heals is how you really get the opportunity to kill them but with AST? Heh, base line instant cast heal, 40s reuse on Essential Dignity and then there's Lightspeed which gives them 10s of running around dumping the 650 potency Benefic II. Plus the cards can really help a lot. Bole is usually sent in for Royal Road fodder but giving your entire party 5% damage mitigation in PvP? Priceless. Also priceless is a 15% damage buff on someone who is already Battle Fever and helping them wreck faces.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a certain lalafells hat totally blocked me off in that picture @rie

• Options
    Wait...are they fixing High Level roulette on this patch?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Yeap. The high level dungeons will give exp for kills.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Which will make leveling my last four dps jobs less of a pain.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    a certain lalafells hat totally blocked me off in that picture

Oh geez, I hope it wasn't me.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I recently found out about target filters on the PS4. Being able to cycle to a filter that only lets me target party members through target cycling comes in handy for my healer duties.

I was wondering if this was possible on PC as well. There are custom filters, but I have no way how to actually cycle through them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/demystifying_targeting_and_filters_a_keyboard_and/

after the second line break is how to keybind the filters.

Also this is a link to all the good info stuff I've found. Most of it is in the op, but there might be something new for anyone there.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options

When you first get it, Blood of the Dragon should be paired with Power Surge to give that Jump and maybe Spineshatter Dive a really big potency boost. No kidding, BotD + Power Surge turns Jump into your 2nd biggest instant hitter only just behind Full Thrust.

When you get Fang and Claw, you can start working on keeping BotD up all the time, on top of being a sweet potency attack in itself. I would be clocking around 600-650DPS in Aery. Wheeling Thrust is a bit of an odd one since it doesn't give any powerboost in itself compared to the previous two levels. However, you need to get used to hitting the positionals between Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust. 90 potency is nothing to sneeze at and it's part of maximising DRG DPS that you burn the positionals into second nature. You also need to get used to the animation delay with Wheeling Thrust because it's a really short animation and you might delay a GCD or two as a result if you work off animations to help indicate when the GCD is up.

Geirskogul is a really really big mechanical table flip. Weaving that thing in along with maintaining BotD AND maximising the number of Geirskoguls you can put out during a fight (3 per minute is the maximum amount while you are maintaining BotD for every possible 4th tier combo hit and reuse BotD) can be overwhelming. Plus along with all that you need to remember to be using your oGCDs and making judgement calls if you can use Spineshatter on cool down for more damage, or if you need to hold it as a gap closer because now it hits hard.

• Options
    Nice nice. There's something about DPS in this game that I really like. I mean, despite a higher GCD there's so much stuff that keeps it interesting. Unlike WOW where eventually the GCD is so low you just go into full spam mode.

• Options
    It'd be nice if they rolled Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust into one button that changes depending on the buff.

I mostly need to practice and rearrange my bars, but that's my one complaint about the randomness of the Sharper buff.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    It'd be nice if they rolled Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust into one button that changes depending on the buff.

I mostly need to practice and rearrange my bars, but that's my one complaint about the randomness of the Sharper buff.

Indeed, I don't have enough space on my crossbars as it is.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Also remove the damn positioning requirements. Especially when one requires behind but the other requires the FLANK. I know where behind is, but trying to position myself to hit the flank when a boss is moving around is a giant pain in the keister.

Oh, I found out one of my guildmates in WoW plays FFXIV. On a raid boss a bunch of mechanics were happening so we had to chase the boss while dodging bad stuff and I openly lamented, "Dear God it's Neverreap all over again!" and someone started laughing in Mumble.

• Options
    Nice nice. There's something about DPS in this game that I really like. I mean, despite a higher GCD there's so much stuff that keeps it interesting. Unlike WOW where eventually the GCD is so low you just go into full spam mode.

For me it's the rhythm. Each DPs is designed with a certain flow and rhythm to it. It helps keep you on pace in fights and it feels very natural once you understand how the various elements work together.

When raiding I sort of liken it to playing a song or something, your GCD is your main beat and your off GCD is your accents. It's a very enjoyable experience :D

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

When you first get it, Blood of the Dragon should be paired with Power Surge to give that Jump and maybe Spineshatter Dive a really big potency boost. No kidding, BotD + Power Surge turns Jump into your 2nd biggest instant hitter only just behind Full Thrust.

PS+BotD+Jump is actually DRG's highest potency attack, dem 5k jumps aint no joke

Also, I hated the whole fang/wheeling dealio at first since getting wheeling didn't really "offer" anything besides making your life more complicated. It's not as bad now since they reduced the potency loss on missing positionals, but that doesn't mean I still don't get miffed when a boss turns right as I use fang/wheeling ^_______^

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • Options
    The position requirements don't bother me. I just wish they were a bit different from each other to need the two bar slots.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Also remove the damn positioning requirements. Especially when one requires behind but the other requires the FLANK. I know where behind is, but trying to position myself to hit the flank when a boss is moving around is a giant pain in the keister.

Oh, I found out one of my guildmates in WoW plays FFXIV. On a raid boss a bunch of mechanics were happening so we had to chase the boss while dodging bad stuff and I openly lamented, "Dear God it's Neverreap all over again!" and someone started laughing in Mumble.

That's why you have to ride the tip of the targeting ring. That way, shifting between rear and flank is easier.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're at the outer edge of the targeting ring, right where at the edge of the gap, it's just one step to switch between flank and rear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

That's the whole point for having two of them.You hit the positional requirements for maximum damage, or you don't. You're also supposed to make a judgement call if you can afford the extra time to hit positional requirements or you just hit it to get more GCDs in.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
  • Options
    And Delph leaves before I can commend....

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Ohhhhh that was you! Hahaha that match was fun :D

They really wanted me dead though :(

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Ohhhhh that was you! Hahaha that match was fun :D

They really wanted me dead though :(

I space out and don't look at names, so like halfway through I was like HEY I KNOW THIS SUMMONER

My hands were sweating at the end of that game, nice win though. That was a Balmung premade too.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Premade? Isn't that kind of against the spirit of the night?

• Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Premade? Isn't that kind of against the spirit of the night?

You run into a few of them, sometimes it's people trying to ruin the night, most of the time it's just random premades just wanting to play.

The few premades i've gone against so far we've wrecked pretty badly

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I've learned tonight that I do not understand Triple Triad in this game at all. You basically just throw money at it, roll the dice to hope you win so you can buy a random card...and you have to go back and buy more points each time you lose so you stay at 500 or you're just trying to win your way out of the hole to get to 520 for a card. Then hope it's not a card you already have, which sell for 5 points. I don't know why I can't just fight an NPC I can beat 100% of the time for cards or points? Or at least buy the cards for 500 points. Or not charge for fights, even against players apparently? (Note that I do know why, which is MMOs are designed to drain your time and in game resources. I just don't understand why they would make this one part so bad when the rest of the game has seemed pretty well designed. And this is just a fun diversion card game thing.)

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've learned tonight that I do not understand Triple Triad in this game at all. You basically just throw money at it, roll the dice to hope you win so you can buy a random card...and you have to go back and buy more points each time you lose so you stay at 500 or you're just trying to win your way out of the hole to get to 520 for a card. Then hope it's not a card you already have, which sell for 5 points. I don't know why I can't just fight an NPC I can beat 100% of the time for cards or points? Or at least buy the cards for 500 points. Or not charge for fights, even against players apparently? (Note that I do know why, which is MMOs are designed to drain your time and in game resources. I just don't understand why they would make this one part so bad when the rest of the game has seemed pretty well designed. And this is just a fun diversion card game thing.)

As we explained in FC...

The idea is that you CAN just battle NPC's for cards (and MGP), but you were only fighting the few NPC's in the golden saucer area, there are NPC's all over Eorzea you can fight that range in difficulty from very easy to very hard, and they all have different cards you can obtain.

The cost to play an NPC is negligible, you typically win back way more than you paid, or even in the event of a draw you sometimes make a bit of MGP, battling NPC's is a great way to earn MGP once you build up a bit of a deck. You can never truly be out because you can always replenish your MGP up to 500 or so with Gil. It's not ideal but you can certainly do it that way. The better way would be to obtain MGP through other methods, or build up your deck by obtaining cards from dungeons and such.

The best way early on though is to get a decent card, like the Minfilia one. It is tricky to get but worth the effort IMO and can be obtained with just the start cards.

MGP is very easy to obtain in game, you can do events in the Golden Saucer, you can fight NPC's in Triple Triad, or you can just do the Mini cactpot. (I've made over 500,000 MGP from doing the daily mini cactpot alone each day). There is also the tournament which will get your a decent amount of MGP for just beating up the very NPC's you were fighting.

It can be just a fun little diversion, or it can be a major time sink that you dive into to collect all the cards and battle very tough NPC's. You can get as little or as much out of it depending on how much effort you actually want to put into it. They put a lot of effort out to make Triple Triad in FFXIV an entire game in and of itself, so it can be a casual little thing or a hardcore investment.

If you are just looking for a place to play Triple Triad against NPC's with the most minimal effort there is actually a mobile game of it you can get which is pretty fun, but if you are looking to play it in FFXIV and want to really get into it, you're going to have to do a fair amount of legwork.

Best place to start is http://www.ffxivtriad.com where you can learn how to play the game, what the different rules are, what cards exist, and how to obtain them. Your initial goal should be to collect as many easy cards as you can to get to 30 so you can start using a 2* deck. But that will take a decent amount of time and effort to do so.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The two NPCs I can sometimes beat cost 10 and give 20 & 15 and give 30. Which means I'm really only making 10/15 points when I win. So I have to get two wins in a row at minimum to buy a card. That is actually really difficult with the cards I have versus what they have.

The only way I'm seeing to get this Minfillia card is randomly with the 1000 point card. I haven't ever won more points from the Cactpot than I put in, and I don't want to play the grabber/puncher minigames. (Do they even give a good amount of points? How many times would I have to play them to get 500+ points? Is there another option or game that I'm missing?)

That site has a nice list of cards but it doesn't really have a guide on how you're supposed to collect them or advance through the progression of the cards.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The two NPCs I can sometimes beat cost 10 and give 20 & 15 and give 30. Which means I'm really only making 10/15 points when I win. So I have to get two wins in a row at minimum to buy a card. That is actually really difficult with the cards I have versus what they have.

The only way I'm seeing to get this Minfillia card is randomly with the 1000 point card. I haven't ever won more points from the Cactpot than I put in, and I don't want to play the grabber/puncher minigames. (Do they even give a good amount of points? How many times would I have to play them to get 500+ points? Is there another option or game that I'm missing?)

That site has a nice list of cards but it doesn't really have a guide on how you're supposed to collect them or advance through the progression of the cards.

You aren't looking at this the right way. The "progression" of cards is to collect them. You can do that in any order you like. The higher the * on the card the harder it is to collect typically. When you look at the list of the cards it tells you right there how to obtain them, just click on the link.

Using Minfilia for an example, sure you can chance it and try and get her from the Silver pack, but she is also a reward from battling Gegeruju. If you click on his name, it shows you his location and even has a picture of him so you know who you are looking for.

He has a tough deck, but he is very beatable with the starting cards and is generally recommended. As you can see if you click his link, he also has a chance to drop Y'shtola, which is a 3 star card. Ideally you want to get Minfilia, but getting Y'shtola isn't bad either since all you have right now are 1 star cards.

So basically look at the list of cards, and go around and get the 1 star ones to fill up your deck, and try and get some of the higher star ones if you can. With a 1 star deck you can only have One 4 or 5 star card in your hand so once you get one of those I would focus on simply getting as many unique cards as you can to try and get to 30.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I feel like I'm looking at something different than you. The Gegeruju I'm looking at has a deck where every card has only one number on it I could beat, and only with the one best number on most of my cards. The comment section on his page is all people talking about how hard he is to beat.

A lot of these cards just have a random name of something with no link to who or where that is in the section I'm guessing is the 'how to get it' spot. Most of them say NPCs in the Gold Saucer area or the random packs, at least, so I'm guessing from that. I don't know what Wanderer's Palace is, or if Satasha or Dzemael Darkhold is a NPC somewhere or what.

Is there not a guide for get A first, then go here to get B, now you have a deck that can beat C for D?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I feel like I'm looking at something different than you. The Gegeruju I'm looking at has a deck where every card has only one number on it I could beat, and only with the one best number on most of my cards. The comment section on his page is all people talking about how hard he is to beat.

A lot of these cards just have a random name of something with no link to who or where that is in the section I'm guessing is the 'how to get it' spot. Most of them say NPCs in the Gold Saucer area or the random packs, at least, so I'm guessing from that. I don't know what Wanderer's Palace is, or if Satasha or Dzemael Darkhold is a NPC somewhere or what.

Is there not a guide for get A first, then go here to get B, now you have a deck that can beat C for D?

Not really, since each NPC is different, has different rules, and gives different cards. The trick to Gegeruju is to get in a tie with him, get one of his cards and beat him the next time. It's tricky, but absolutely doable. Alternatively you can fight King Elmer III and try to get Bahamut, but that one is even tougher imo, although completely doable with the starter deck since he uses the Plus rule.

If you don't want to do either of those then just collect cards until you have 30, you'll get Squall along the way which is a solid card and then you'll be able to build a deck of 2 star cards which will be able to beat tougher NPC's. You can obtain Squall by defeating 30 unique NPC's.

Wanderer's Palace, Satasha, Dzemael Darkhold, etc are all dungeons. There is no link to info on them because all you have to do is complete the corresponding dungeon and there is a chance at the end you'll obtain the card. Dungeon cards are a good way to go, but the chance can be kind of slim so it may take many runs to get the card you want.

Also try to remember that just because you have weaker cards in a fight doesn't mean you can't win. Often there are rules like Plus or Same that you can take advantage of, and even just focusing on taking what cards you can and taking back your own cards can work as a very basic strategy. Try to pay attention to what cards the opponent has and build strategies around that. Often NPC's will have a "weaker" side that you can exploit to increase your chances.

Above all though you would be best served by becoming very familiar with the different rules and how they work so you can play smartly. Plus and same in particular are very important to learn because it's more HOW you play than the power of the cards in those cases.

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.