As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Henshaw is also obsessed with finding aliens hidden on Earth. Takes one to know one?

Also, at least from the cartoons and faulty memory:
    Didn't MM's eyes glow red when he did telepathy? It'd make for a good misdirect, as the whole "red eyes and ominous music" is obviously designed to make us think "villain"

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The third episode wasn't as good as the second, but is still better than the pilot.

What is it with people thinking that Hank Henshaw is the Martian Manhunter? Are they seriously that oblivious towards classic Superman plot lines, or just think that it's too obvious that Hank Henshaw is the same character in the show as in the comics?

Most people don't know the comics, they know movies and TV.
    Discounting the animated shows, the last time there was a black guy with red eyes on a DC show, it was MM on Smallville. Which is also Superman related.
    Plus, in the last ep, his eyes glowed and he suddenly knew that Alex was up to something. Mind-reading would explain that, I'm not sure how cyborg powers would.
    Although I guess maybe he was monitoring the local wifi or something.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    This episode... Eh.

Reactron has to be the dumbest villain, ever. This show needs to move past bad guys of the week format because it doesn't work well against a superhero that can solve any problem by punching really hard.

As to the red eyes:
    I don't think it's telepathy, I think it's Cyborg powers in that he's tuned in to the computer network. He knew what Alex was up to because he could see what she was doing on the computer. Based on Hank's comment about 'he had a family', the radiation spaceship has already happened and he's already bonded with some Kryptonian machinery.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    Example of my comic ignorance; I don't know any Supergirl-specific villains.
    Come to that, I only know a handful of Superman ones, and I assume the more recognisable ones are going to be off limits due to their usual 'don't come anywhere near anything we might want to use in a movie one day' approach.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The third episode wasn't as good as the second, but is still better than the pilot.

What is it with people thinking that Hank Henshaw is the Martian Manhunter? Are they seriously that oblivious towards classic Superman plot lines, or just think that it's too obvious that Hank Henshaw is the same character in the show as in the comics?

Discounting the animated shows, the last time there was a black guy with red eyes on a DC show, it was MM on Smallville. Which is also Superman related.
    Plus, in the last ep, his eyes glowed and he suddenly knew that Alex was up to something. Mind-reading would explain that, I'm not sure how cyborg powers would.

Eh, it just feels like as if Agents of SHIELD introduced a character called Karla Sofen, and people wondered if she was Captain Marvel.
    Ok, maybe not the best example...

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Eh, it just feels like as if Agents of SHIELD introduced a character called Karla Sofen, and people wondered if she was Captain Marvel.
    Ok, maybe not the best example...

And our comic-ignorant viewer would go 'who?'
    It's not ignoring one possible character in favour of another, it's going with the only character they've heard of.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Example of my comic ignorance; I don't know any Supergirl-specific villains.
    Come to that, I only know a handful of Superman ones, and I assume the more recognisable ones are going to be off limits due to their usual 'don't come anywhere near anything we might want to use in a movie one day' approach.

My comic ignorance of it all is near-absolute. I'm coming at it from having watched at least the first two Reeve movies, a good chunk of Lois & Clark when it was new, and having seen and largely forgotten Superman Returns and Man of Steel, both of which I thought were bad. (Although the plane bit in SR was awesome.) I can't even remember if I saw the old Supergirl movie with Helen Slater, honestly - although I do remember her well from The Secret of My Success, with Michael J Fox. So I might dig that up, because, hey, young Helen Slater.

But anyway. The show is doing a reasonable job of introducing who these characters are for someone who doesn't know them well or at all, I think. I still feel like I'm missing a bit but for the most part it's doing well. So far I've watched the first two episodes. I'm going to keep watching, it's an amiable show. But I'd like to see it diverge from Villain of the Week a bit. More of the planes, ambulances and snakes (!). And I liked the bit with the oil tanker, showing our heroine's fallibility (and, thus, humanity) as she finds her feet and her new place in the world. But I guess they can only do that for so long.

Benoist is a great lead, she's damn near perfect in the role. Also, Flockhart is killing it. Long may she continue to do so. Every scene she's in is gold.

Jazz on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Where did the generic best friend with a crush get all the top of the line equipment for her new office?

Actually, lets just back up to who the HELL is he? He can sew near indestructible clothing, he can hack into some sort of satellite or sensors that detect radiation.

The sewing I can almost understand since he's an artist. But we've been given no backstory reason why he would be so good with computers or be able to afford that equipment or know where to get high-tech fabrics and how to work with them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Where did the generic best friend with a crush get all the top of the line equipment for her new office?

Actually, lets just back up to who the HELL is he? He can sew near indestructible clothing, he can hack into some sort of satellite or sensors that detect radiation.

The sewing I can almost understand since he's an artist. But we've been given no backstory reason why he would be so good with computers or be able to afford that equipment or know where to get high-tech fabrics and how to work with them.
    He's a super-villain in training, ok?

• Options

If anyone here is a candidate for Martian Manhunter here, it's him, because he's somehow trustworthy enough for her to spill the beans to, despite no seeming long-term friendship before this. And now he knows who Superman is too.

Why do they trust him? It's so baffling to me. They seem to barely know him.

• Options

If anyone here is a candidate for Martian Manhunter here, it's him, because he's somehow trustworthy enough for her to spill the beans to, despite no seeming long-term friendship before this. And now he knows who Superman is too.

Why do they trust him? It's so baffling to me. They seem to barely know him.
    He was her best friend, and apparently only friend, at Catco. I don't buy her not being popular with the male staff but whatever. lol Now Jimmy in the picture she's kind of....occupied.

:winky:

• Options

All slightly nerdy people can hack anything in five seconds flat. This is a fact. And I was hoping for a throwaway line about the computer stuff being thrown out when they upgraded to a new server to support all those TVs that Cat doesn't even watch, since they're all behind her.

I'd like it if Supergirl came to some kind of understanding with the police:
    "Okay, if there's a situation you could really use my help with, broadcast on this frequency which only I can hear. Well, me and my cousin. And dogs. And my evil aunt who wants to take over the world or something. And probably a bunch of other aliens okay you know what don't give out any personal information over that thing."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Did anybody else notice in the second episode when Alex is pacing around the arena lecturing Kara she stubs her toe on the floor?
    I always feel embarrassed when I do that in an empty hallway. I'm glad my clumsiness never got captured on network television.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

Yup.
    Winn is Toyman.

edit: Also liking the show thus far, even the way they show her flying-closeups.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yup.
    Winn is Toyman.

edit: Also liking the show thus far, even the way they show her flying-closeups.

From the wikipedia page:
    Toyman will appear in Supergirl, portrayed by Henry Czerny.[19][20] This version is Winslow Schott, Sr. , the father of Winslow "Winn" Schott, Jr. (portrayed by Jeremy Jordan).[21][22]

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I do like that they're pushing at the borders of not having Superman on the show. I mean, he WAS in this episode, and I totally enjoyed the IM session he and Kara had. I do wonder if they'll be casting Clark in a later season. Maybe Kal-El loses his powers for awhile, and he's no longer, technically, "Superman."

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Yup.
    Winn is Toyman.

From the wikipedia page:
    Toyman will appear in Supergirl, portrayed by Henry Czerny.[19][20] This version is Winslow Schott, Sr. , the father of Winslow "Winn" Schott, Jr. (portrayed by Jeremy Jordan).[21][22]

Alright. I am mollified for now. Having that be his family explains quite a bit.

Although why the rest of the crew aren't asking these questions I dunno.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think they shouldn't have made Superman the only other superhero. All the constant references to Superman might not stick out so much if they also referenced some other superheroes.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    This show has the same underlying issue as Gotham: Let's make a show that revolves around Superman without putting Superman in it! Although I was surprised by the cameo in the last episode.

The constant references to Superman in the second episode made the storyline seem inconsistent. i.e., presumably Superman has been in life or death situations before, even without the existence of kryptonite. So why is Kara so surprised to learn that she can't simply rely on strength alone (Also: Having a flashback to her akido training was super heavy handed, and demonstrates that the show doesn't think very highly of the viewers). They keep making references to how Superman screwed up a lot early in his career, but if that's the case, why not try to learn from his mistakes before you put yourself out there?

I still wish that they would have just gone and made it so that Kara was the first Kryptonian to land on this planet. Hopefully the show will change my mind soon.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Dunno -- I think Gotham sans Batman is clearly much more hollow than Supergirl without Superman. The show is obligated to explain itself against Superman, and I think it's been a bit hit/miss in doing so, but I don't agree that it has the same core problem of being a show that's forsworn its central attraction.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I also think that this show has an actual message, as opposed to Gotham, which is just "let's see if we can outdo our previous record for undermining our female characters!"

Supergirl, for a show that has an innately sexist title and lead character name, is remarkably constant on its feminist angle. Cat Grant is the unlikely standard bearer for "taking back" female diminutive terms like "girl."

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also, Gotham would have been fine without Batman if they had focused on the corruption angle. Instead they want to have constant plot lines with Bruce Wayne and all sorts of Batman villains.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    So, this was the fifth episode, because episode four was apparently considered too soon after Paris (I'm guessing bombs and/or terrorists feature).
    Is it me, or did Cat take all the awards this episode?

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    They're really turning both male leads into dicks, huh.

One is stringing Kara along on the side and the other is friend-zoning hard.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I don't really see Winn as 'friend-zoning'. Yes, he's got a blatant crush on her, but he doesn't do anything like call her a bitch or a slut when she shows interest in someone besides him, and continues to be her friend despite her apparent lack of romantic reciprocation. So not really acting like a guy who believes the 'friend-zone' is a thing.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    theSquid wrote: »

What? James isn't stringing her along, she simply has feelings for him but knows he's taken right now. And there was nothing wrong with her not being romantically interested in Friend Zone guy, he's been like that since the first episode.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

What? James isn't stringing her along, she simply has feelings for him but knows he's taken right now. And there was nothing wrong with her not being romantically interested in Friend Zone guy, he's been like that since the first episode.

Clearly, friend zone guy was obligated to pack himself into a crate and fedex himself to China once he was shot down. Continuing to exist is being a dick.

• Options

Clearly, friend zone guy was obligated to pack himself into a crate and fedex himself to China once he was shot down. Continuing to exist is being a dick.

???

• Options

???

Give your sarcasm detector a smack.

• Options

I guarantee the friend zone thing will play out as such because the writers are probably itching to throw the unrequited love trope out of the window. And that's not bad! And it doesn't mean Wynn is bad either! But I do expect him to make an ass of himself.

• Options

He hasn't been shot down yet, and when he does how he chooses to deal with it will determine everything. I think he'll get really shirty about it, to give his character something to do. That is just my prediction.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    She shot him down in the pilot, and that's why he made a comment about assuming she was a lesbian, at which point she told him she wasn't into him in that way. He was also fairly nonchalant about having James cut in, in the middle of dancing with Kara (kind of a dick move by James, like whatever he wanted to say couldn't wait the ~3m it takes for a song to finish).

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I understand the fear that Winn will be a big dick about Kara not having romantic feelings for him. I hope that as the show seems to be trying to be aware of feminism and feminist thought, it will instead use Winn as a more positive example of how getting shot down romantically doesn't mean you need to be a dick, and that it's pretty ok to be friends with a woman, even a woman who just isn't into you.

With that said, I'd say that if I ship anyone on the show, it's Kara and Winn.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Kara/Jimmy James Olsen = OTP

• Options
    I'm into Cat Grant/Cat Grant. It's the only pairing worthy of Cat.

• Options

I kind of wonder if/when Cat will figure out her assistant is Supergirl.

My ideal scenario: for Cat to figure out mid-scene and then not say anything, or even for her to have already figured it out. It wouldn't be overhearing a conversation or seeing something she shouldn't have, she'd just put everything together and realize what's going on. And then go a season or two with it, never acknowledging openly - even to the audience - that she knows who Supergirl is. When she does finally get put into a situation where it makes sense for her to admit she knows (like, they're stuck in an elevator together and a villain is out wrecking the city) , she'd just casually ask her assistant to put her cape on and go out and save those people. And when Kara made a fuss about it, Cat would be like "Don't make this awkward Kara. I've known for years. Also, I still expect you to get that report on municipal funding for me by 3:00 PM." The next day at work, Cat would just treat Kara exactly as normal, and shut down any talk of Kara being Supergirl.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

My ideal scenario: for Cat to figure out mid-scene and then not say anything, or even for her to have already figured it out. It wouldn't be overhearing a conversation or seeing something she shouldn't have, she'd just put everything together and realize what's going on. And then go a season or two with it, never acknowledging openly - even to the audience - that she knows who Supergirl is. When she does finally get put into a situation where it makes sense for her to admit she knows (like, they're stuck in an elevator together and a villain is out wrecking the city) , she'd just casually ask her assistant to put her cape on and go out and save those people. And when Kara made a fuss about it, Cat would be like "Don't make this awkward Kara. I've known for years. Also, I still expect you to get that report on municipal funding for me by 3:00 PM." The next day at work, Cat would just treat Kara exactly as normal, and shut down any talk of Kara being Supergirl.

I'm guessing that she's about to start looking I to Kara's past and we'll get a slow build towards her figuring it out. Not sure what she'll do with the info, but it would be refreshing if she kept it to herself, just happy to finally know and satisfied that she was able to put it together.

• Options

This would be ideal.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I'm guessing that she's about to start looking I to Kara's past and we'll get a slow build towards her figuring it out. Not sure what she'll do with the info, but it would be refreshing if she kept it to herself, just happy to finally know and satisfied that she was able to put it together.

If she hasn't done it already, that lady is not stupid. I kinda loathed her in a so bad it's good villain way now I'm really becoming a fan, deeply flawed as she is.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

If she hasn't done it already, that lady is not stupid. I kinda loathed her in a so bad it's good villain way now I'm really becoming a fan, deeply flawed as she is.

I don't think she's figured it out yet, but only because I don't think she's given it that much thought. That plus TV logic meaning she doesn't recognize her own assistants voice.