As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Steven Universe] episodes starting July 18

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I don't get why you'd read the thread if you keep up with the the show but haven't watched the latest ep yet
    yeah, if there's something I'm in the middle of, or planning to watch/read/play, I stay the fuck out of it's dedicated thread.

overall this place is overcautious with spoiler tags, and that's really good for general/chat threads or referencing off-topic media, but imo it gets pretty silly for dedicated threads.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ....It's like, two extra mouse clicks, one if you're reading through the post instead of making it

It's not an inconvenience on either end and i don't know why people treat it like it is.

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't get why you'd read the thread if you keep up with the the show but haven't watched the latest ep yet

You might not have access to it yet.

Plus, when I first started watching the show, someone invited me to the thread to share my impressions as I watched it for the first time... that turned out to be something I couldn't keep up for long due to the spoilers.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ....It's like, two extra mouse clicks, one if you're reading through the post instead of making it

It's not an inconvenience on either end and i don't know why people treat it like it is.

It's a pain reading the thread especially on mobile where formatting can get wonky or spoiler tags just refuse to open sometimes.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I've never had a problem with either of those things! I mean quote trees mess formatting up something fierce, but spoiler tags?

I guess it might be different on other phones but i can't quite understand how

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I can't emphasize enough how much I love this scene

(Message Received spoilers)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If someone asks you to put something in spoilers, don't get goosey about it.

Maybe you think it's no big deal but it is to other people.

Taking a moment to click that button is just considerate.

And in the case that people start arguing enough about it that a mod gets involved, I have never seen them rule on the side of the person didn't tag something when asked to.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I can't emphasize enough how much I love this scene

(Message Received spoilers)

GODDAMN IT.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The rule of thumb for every other TV thread I've ever seen has been current season stuff gets spoilered, once a season has completed and another season has started the previous seasons are fair game.

Unless someone says HEY IM WATCHING THE SHOW FOR THE FIRST TIME AND JUST CHIMING IN REAL QUICK in which case you shouldn't be a jerk

As opposed to here where, like, shit is out in the open a few days after an episode airs

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    But like, minus the example where someone is actively going through something for the first time, where you should be courteous obv, I don't know what the situation is where there is new episodes you haven't seen, but you still want to go read the thread. Like, what do you think is going to be being discussed in the thread about the thing that you haven't seen yet

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    But like, minus the example where someone is actively going through something for the first time, where you should be courteous obv, I don't know what the situation is where there is new episodes you haven't seen, but you still want to go read the thread. Like, what do you think is going to be being discussed in the thread about the thing that you haven't seen yet
    Discussions about past episodes and theories like the thread is frequently filled with?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh... umm...
    Well I just can't stop thinking

So... Umm...
    I made a thing...

And I hadn't before
    (Of course not,
    when would i ever?)

i sketched Garnet from a recent episode... Then i put it in my computer, and colored it up...

what do you guys think?

(It's the first time i ever did that.)

it's still a WIP (I should add shading later) but i couldn't not share it before hitting the hay.

cwprruykcjw4.png
    (Yeah, that left leg is really... weird.)

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am not sure what your art experience is, so general advice, none of it is meant as an insult, just for improving.
    One thing that will really help your drawing, is uses guidelines on faces/bodies, that way you can line up all the features correctly. It is middling useful for the body for getting the pose correct/realistic. But is super useful for getting a face to look as if it is oriented correctly (lining up the mouth/nose with the chin, and spacing the eyes correctly apart).

The proportions could use a little work. The arms specifically are mismatched, they should be roughly the same thickness.
    The left hand looks good. I would probably move the left most vertical gem fact line a bit more to the right, to give it a better illusion of depth.
    The right hand needs the fingers to be a little longer (in towards the palm, not out from the tips), the thumb might look better if it was a little thicker and/or the gap was closer together.
    The right arm should probably be dropped down a little bit, and the elbow brought in closer to her chest. Basically, hold your hand up as if you were looking at it, then looking down to see where the elbow is, in relation to your chest.

Remove the toes from the left foot. :)
    Maybe rotate it counter clockwise, and down a bit as well to give it a more natural looking pose. Alternatively rotate it clockwise slightly, so it is pointing more towards the ground. It really depends on the pose she is supposed to be taking.

Example;
    13cc2sv2c4n6.png

Good first draft though, shows promise!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    lol everything works because of the subject of the art

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the different profiles of Africa and South America could be natural, the proto-continent could have split up differently millions of years ago. Not very likely when there's a race of sentient terraforming space rocks flying around but still.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    I am not sure what your art experience is, so general advice, none of it is meant as an insult, just for improving.
    One thing that will really help your drawing, is uses guidelines on faces/bodies, that way you can line up all the features correctly. It is middling useful for the body for getting the pose correct/realistic. But is super useful for getting a face to look as if it is oriented correctly (lining up the mouth/nose with the chin, and spacing the eyes correctly apart).

The proportions could use a little work. The arms specifically are mismatched, they should be roughly the same thickness.
    The left hand looks good. I would probably move the left most vertical gem fact line a bit more to the right, to give it a better illusion of depth.
    The right hand needs the fingers to be a little longer (in towards the palm, not out from the tips), the thumb might look better if it was a little thicker and/or the gap was closer together.
    The right arm should probably be dropped down a little bit, and the elbow brought in closer to her chest. Basically, hold your hand up as if you were looking at it, then looking down to see where the elbow is, in relation to your chest.

Remove the toes from the left foot. :)
    Maybe rotate it counter clockwise, and down a bit as well to give it a more natural looking pose. Alternatively rotate it clockwise slightly, so it is pointing more towards the ground. It really depends on the pose she is supposed to be taking.

Example;
    13cc2sv2c4n6.png

Good first draft though, shows promise!

Thanks!

i am literally just starting out to make art a "serious hobby", so it's expected that it looks wonky.
    I did use guidelines on the original sketch for the face and the proportions are... well, they're a lot better than they were on my previous drawings to far. But yeah, thanks for the pointers.

I think my main problem is that i'm not as dexterous using a mouse as i am using a pencil, so when i redrew the lines on the computer (I snapped a pic of my sketchbook and traced over it in GIMP), it made it a bit wonkier instead of refining the line as I wanted.

(Honestly, the response is a lot warmer than i expected, haha.)

Thanks again,
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    lol everything works because of the subject of the art

heh, that is also true. I was going for a kind of... unbalanced pose.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Characters from very recent episodes
    tumblr_o0z6pwslPq1u08beto1_540.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    I think you posted in the wrong thread?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    They're taking a new approach with some of the new SU character arcs/design I see

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh SHIT is this the underground webcomic thread where the forbidden ones get posted?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I was trying to make the connection. How DO you tell your dad you want to quit college to help make a show about gay rock aliens?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Damn it, post that in spoilers. I had no idea that Dad grew his beard back.

• Options
    I kept scrolling through the comic, waiting for some kinda Peridot joke at the end, and it never happened.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    @Brolo
    You done goofed son.

• Options
    no no that's my steven universe fan fiction

the dad is steven

the son is peridot...?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Twice in one day, Rolo, you're on a roll...o.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    @Brolo
    You done goofed son.

NO WAIT SHUT UP I GOT THIS

• Options
    THERE. SEAMLESS. NOBODY CAN EVEN TELL ANYTHING WENT WRONG (WHICH IT DIDN'T).

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    pftahahahaha

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think you should have done Connie and her mom. Wouldve made more sense

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Reminds me of Fist of the North Star, especially Amethyst and Rose.

"You're already poofed."

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    In Giant Woman, inside of the giant bird there are all kinds of gems and weapons and such embedded.

When the bird got poofed, where did all of those go? Were they gems that were corrupted or fragmented? Also, we never saw the bird's corrupted gem collected, if there was one. Maybe it was somehow a mess of all of these gems?

How did the bird monster collect so many, and why? They almost look bubbled there in the walls.

029350facf5dd7e4ce57dcca8cca3fb0.png

Also, why were they collecting the Heaven and Earth beetles in the first place? Does it have something to do with why the corrupted gem chose to go eat one of the beetles? They weren't causing havoc like corrupted gems, and actually seemed to have been intended to be there from the beginning. There are beetle motifs on the path up, and the beetle had a nice home with nice home things.

c4f154c22d9b55115d68c40abc67d8ee.png

They might be 'artifacts' like some of the other items the gems sought to remove from general human access and keep safe, but they seem sentient by the look of their homes, and also from what we have seen, when living, non-poofed beings are bubbled, they stay conscious and aware in the bubble. So now these two beetles are alive and aware and stuck in that little cage together after being torn from their homes.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I think it's implied that Opal's huge multi-arrow attack also bubbled them and sent them back, but it's not exactly implicit.

I also remember reading somewhere that the beetles themselves were corrupted gems, but they didn't seem to be causing trouble. Maybe they were needed for something else, or perhaps it was just a case of scooping up a pair of allies that had lost their sentient spark, protecting them from ravaging gem monsters. We may never know.

It is interesting that the bird monster was collecting and bubbling gems within its body, though.

Edit: Yup, corrupted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcburnett/status/576770787358576641

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I don't think it's something we'll ever find out for certain, but it's really fun seeing more and more details that make you go 'wait a minute...' on rewatches.

It'd be interesting if the beetles were confirmed as corrupted gems though. I am sure that they weren't poofed before being bubbled in that case mostly just for visual flavor, since the little cage was a cute visual marker that both beetles were gathered and stored.

Honestly curious about dat beetle lore.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Hokuto Shinken is invincible.

The Answer.
    Proto-Garnet's design is a beautiful mess.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Death By Shipping (contains Log Date spoilers, Undertale music)

Enlong on
This discussion has been closed.