As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question concerning games at 60fps - that video look

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
I've been wondering about the following: whenever I watch a YouTube video of a game running at 60fps (for instance this one here from Uncharted 3), it has a distinct video look, something that I associate with cheap TV (which I assume is conditioning, plain and simple - there's no reason why this should look cheaper than 30fps, Ubisoftian claims of MORE CINEMATIXXOR!!! notwithstanding). However, playing those same games at 60fps I don't notice this effect at all.

Obviously my brain processes videos that I just watch differently from games that I play, but I'm curious as to whether this also happens to others, and more importantly, what explanation there is for this difference in perception. Is it something cognitive? Is it due to interactivity - the brain's distracted by you having to play the game, so it doesn't notice how the whole thing looks?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Well I think that if you're playing games then it becomes an interactive experience so you are less likely to notice it.