As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Washington (state)

spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° )Puyallup WA Registered User regular
So I'm moving to the Olympia/Tacoma area after living outside of the US for over a decade. Looking for protips from transplants or natives on the area. Where to live? What kind of fun stuff is in the area to do? What internet and phone companies to go with and/or avoid? I've been stalking pretty hard on the applicable subreddits, but more viewpoints are never a bad thing.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    You're gonna be on Mcchord or Lewis? I lived in both the Puyallup/Graham area then moved to Yelm for the last 2 years.

I worked on the south side of Lewis so it took me 15-20 min to get to my company area in the morning.

I had Comcast for my cable and DirecTV for tv. I think I was paying 50$ for 150mb internet. It was just 50 for 50, but the bumped it up for free the last year I was there. I used Verizon and never had any issues with dead zones. I know people with Tmobile got shit for reception on base.

What is your situation you're looking for housing? Marred, does your wife work? Kids, are they school age? Do you care if you live in an apartment/house/duplex? Need a yard for a dog?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Speicher? Mein Hausfrau was born in Bitburg!

Anyhoo, sounds like Bloodycow knows the area around Mcchord better.

One warning, das brot hier passt nur für Schweine. So get your fill before you leave.

But our beer is awesome!

majanz on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    You're gonna be on Mcchord or Lewis? I lived in both the Puyallup/Graham area then moved to Yelm for the last 2 years.

I worked on the south side of Lewis so it took me 15-20 min to get to my company area in the morning.

I had Comcast for my cable and DirecTV for tv. I think I was paying 50$ for 150mb internet. It was just 50 for 50, but the bumped it up for free the last year I was there. I used Verizon and never had any issues with dead zones. I know people with Tmobile got shit for reception on base.

What is your situation you're looking for housing? Marred, does your wife work? Kids, are they school age? Do you care if you live in an apartment/house/duplex? Need a yard for a dog?

I'll be working on McChord. I've been looking at housing all over, and it seems that everyone has a differing opinion on where to live. Some people swear by North Tacoma, some tell me to live down near Lacey/Tumwater. Everyone agrees to stay away from the vicinity of the base, which is normal. I'm on the fence between renting and buying, so I might be moving around a bit before I get settled in. I'm not sure what I'll be doing after I'm done (6 years left), so planning a house around the base commute might be risky. I'll most likely be renting when I get there, and the commute is my main concern. I hear they've made improvements to the 5, but I dont't want to drive an hour each way every day if I don't have to.

Why were you using 2 companies for tv? I had DirecTV when I was in AZ, and really didn't need anything else. I'll probably be doing a lot of Netflix/Hulu, so the internet speed & cap are my main prioities. I heard that fiber was being introduced in certain areas, and that might influence where I end up.

I'm single, no pets, just me. I'd rather have a place where I won't have too many walls shared, I like to throw parties and have a drum set (electric), I am a bit of a noise maker. >.>

• Options
    majanz wrote: »
    Speicher? Mein Hausfrau was born in Bitburg!

Anyhoo, sounds like Bloodycow knows the area around Mcchord better.

One warning, das brot hier passt nur für Schweine. So get your fill before you leave.

But our beer is awesome!

I've had about as much as I can take of weissbier and brochen. I much prefer an Irish red ale to most beers, but I'll take a brown ale in a pinch. ;)

• Options
    I hated driving on I5. That is why I moved south of Lewis. You on the other hand could live in Puyallup area and just go out the south gate of Mcchord. Do you know where you will be working on base? Like a specific wing or what not? My cousin flew for the 62nd Airlift Wing. So he bought a house in Lacey and went in through the main gate. That little bit of drive on I5 isn't too bad, but if you go any further east then say where 512 meets i5, you are going to be in for a boring/long ass commute home from work.

Dupont area is super nice, so is Steilecoom, parts of Lakewood are ghetto as shit (well most, that's why it's on Cops all the time.) I really like the Olympia area as there is a crap ton to do, your drive would be like 25-35 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes more during peak times.

Shit I had friends that lived across the bridge in Gig Harbor and drove the 45 to hour-15 in peak times, just to be away from military people (plus cheaper renters/auto insurance, Pierce County has one of the highest insurance rates in the state).

I recommend just leasing an apartment for 6 months until you acclimate to the area and figure out where you really want to live. If you are going to buy, when I left there the housing market was in a buyers market, not sure if that has changed.

The beer in Washington is fucking good! I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years and got to have all the great European brands (went to 3 of the Trappist breweries) and it is pretty comparable.

I had Comcast for TV for a bit, but at the time you could only record one show and watch one at the same time. I couldn't take that crap and got Directv and a lot more channels for the same price.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Ah, it sounded like you had Comcast and DirecTV at the same time. Sounded like madness to me.

Olympia looks to be the area that I'm leaning towards, it looks a little slower and safer than Tacoma. I'm going to the 62nd APS, so I'll be on the north side of the bases. I actually watched the WSDOT website on my second monitor at work to see the traffic in the morning, and it looks like living north/east of the base is a nightmare. The Olympia direction got a little backed up, but not too much. Puyallup looks like it could work, I haven't done much research in that direction.

Did you get out to the events in the local area? I visited Seattle and went to PAX last year, and that's when I kinda fell in love with the PNW. I hear ECCC is pretty fun, so I'll probably be hitting that as often as I can.

And yes, beer. I will miss the weekend trips to Brussels, but I'm sure I can find a couple good local breweries to help me forget.

• Options
    I never got to go to PAX, wife worked and I had two little ones. One of my buddies is getting stationed at Lewis from 7th SFG. So when he gets there I plan on flying up there and going to PAX with him. I didn't even know about ECCC, but I just got back in to magic like a year ago, So I had never even heard of Emerald City.

Only events I really went to were ones that my kids and wife wanted to do, like air shows and Taste of Seattle. Would also drive out to Leavenworth for the beer festivals and Oktoberfest.

Yeah, traveling East of Mcchord is always heavy traffic on I5. There is a pretty good comic/games shop in Olympia too. Used to go there a couple of times a month at least.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    And yes, beer. I will miss the weekend trips to Brussels, but I'm sure I can find a couple good local breweries to help me forget.

Oh man I love Brussels! In the Northwest we're not quite as hardcore about beer as the Belgians, but in terms of quality and taste we are playing in the same league.

Like Bloodycow I've never been to PAX or ECCC, but my eldest child and her friends have been. If you are into Anime there is also Sakura-Con and some of my wife's friend's kids swear by that one.

If you end up in the Olympia area, they have the Evergreen State College campus just West of town. Its a festering cesspool of hippies Its got a lot of events but I don't know what exactly. I'm sure they have a web site.

But they don't have anything as cool as Manneken-Pis!

MannequinPis2.jpg

• Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Yeah, traveling East of Mcchord is always heavy traffic on I5. There is a pretty good comic/games shop in Olympia too. Used to go there a couple of times a month at least.

I've heard about the shop down there, looks like a place I could frequent.

majanz wrote: »
    But they don't have anything as cool as Manneken-Pis!

MannequinPis2.jpg

That statue would be awesome if it wasn't a foot tall. :surprised: