Options

[Monster Hunter] Dual thread hunt and this one's dead. Go to new thread.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Yeah, evasion in MH is all kinds of a pain in the ass. Because of the tiny amounts of iframes, you usually want to do it way later than you think you should. And there are plenty of attacks that you really can't evade without evasion+ skills, unless you know what you're doing.

You really have to pay attention to hitboxes in terms of directions more than just their frames. The actual direction you evade is as important (more than) the timing. For example, Tigrex chomps move forward, and you're much better off rolling into them than away or to the sides. In fact, it's usually the case that you want to move in, because (especially now) only certain parts of the monsters will be active during attacks. If they're biting and swinging claws, then standing under the legs is going to be safer than standing underneath them.

If you really need to dodge something, then you should be superman diving with your weapon sheathed. This is especially the case for greatsword, which you're going to have sheathed most of the time. That little roll is there for emergency positioning after an attack, just like the block, and not good for actual defence. You just want to get safe enough to sheath.

For the most part, it's better to not be in a position where you have to roll than it is to try and roll against most monsters and most attacks, especially with something as slow as the greatsword.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I can't really get into any of the weapons that allow for guarding so far.

Tried lance for awhile but didn't like losing the dodge roll and just went back to switch axe (and insect glaive when fighting anything annoyingly fast or prone to staying off the ground).

Feels like its easier to be a huge coward with the non shield weapons so I tend to gravitate to them.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The guard-heavy weapons work best once you have at least guard+1. It's crucial because it not only lowers stamina loss and damage, but also knockback. Where before you'd block an attack and couldn't do anything about it, with guard+ skills you're still close enough to keep attacking. Plus, if you really want to guard lance you have to use the counter attack (r+a) and the guard rush (forward+r+x).

Really, though evade lance is actually better in most ways, because lance can chain 3 dodges in a row, in multiple directions, and once you get to around evade 2 or 3 you're basically invulnerable during the entire animation. As long as you remember the hitboxes (meaning, sometimes it's best to turn around and evade backwards into the attacks, rather than dodge away), you can do a lot of goofy stuff to stay on the monsters.

I say gunlance works much better with guard over evade because it only gets 1 dodge at a time. So even with full evade and evade extender, you don't get very much from it (especially in terms of positioning), and you're better off just blocking with guard+2 so you can stay really close, and dodging for the quick reload when you need it. And if you really want to, you can go full-on turtle mode with wide shot.

What's important with blocking is to remember that each attack only hits once, no matter what the animation looks like. If you block it early, you can immediately start attacking yourself, even if it looks like you're getting hit. For example, when hermitaur does its water jet attack and starts running around, as soon as you block it, you can start attacking again, even while you're standing in the jet and it looks like you should get hit. Once you start to recognize these openings, you can get a lot of free hits. It's an advantage over evasion, because evading the attack early means you can still get hit by it later on.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Wait... are there some large monsters that don't have certain extracts for the insect glaive to syphon?

Tried hitting the tail, legs, wings and head of Rathian but only getting green and red. That can't be right.

Edit: Finally got white, guess he's just very particular about nailing those legs. Orange seems to be around the neck or about nailing the underside.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    essence zones can actually vary kinda wildly from monster to monster, for the bug stick mapping those out is just part of learning the monster

monsters that don't have tails might not have any spots to get green? but that's the only essence that would ever be absent

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I really love nailing flying monsters with the glaive.

Its just a feel good moment when you swat them out of the sky and nail all three hits.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, the last page made me curious, so I'm going to craft the latest glaive and then follow allong the Gaijinhunter tutorial.

EDIT - You can capture monsters when the mission says to "Hunt" them, right? Not only would it help me get better loot, it would end some bullshit fights early.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    You can capture monsters when the mission says to "Hunt" them, right? Not only would it help me get better loot, it would end some bullshit fights early.

Yep. The only time you can't actually capture is if it's A) a kind of monster that can't be trapped or B) a quest where the monster is repelled before it reaches capture threshold.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    note that for certain drops its better to break all parts and capture, and for others its best to break all parts and carve 3 times!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am delighted by all the various playstyles the weapons in this game present to you. I'm experimenting, gleefully doing the training tier 1 missions (for the Z as well) and then redoing other quests just to go hunting and try out new weapon combos. I just picked the glaive as my first weapon of choice. I seem to enjoy 'nimble' and reach on my weapons.

I keep trying to play this like Dark Souls and forget that M.Hunters dont have an i-frame to their name. Its making Great Sword use pretty hard for me, but its the only high rank weapon I have at this time, made from the Hermitaur.

Don't have an i-frame? Dodge gives i-frames and the evade skill will let you increase the time on it.

No skill: 6 frames (0.2 sec)
    Evasion+1: 10 frames (0.33 sec)
    Evasion+2: 12 frames (0.4 sec)
    Evasion Down: 3 frames. (0.1 sec)
    Evasion+3: 18 frames, if I'm doing the math right. (0.6 sec)

Found the exact times over on reddit. I used to know them by heart.
    Dark Souls is I think somewhere between 12 and 16 i-frames (I forget exactly where it tends to land) and that game doesn't have a ton of slow-moving constantly-active hitboxes that are bigger than your entire body. You might as well have no base i-frames in Monster Hunter by comparison. In hundreds of hours of Monster Hunter I don't think I ever once successfully i-framed anything without at least Evasion+1.

Nargacuga with Evasion+2 feels somewhat Souls-y (but still less forgiving). Anything tougher than that and it's not even close.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    really

holy hell I could play dark souls

I don't know if I want to but I'd had that firmly filed under u for unpossible

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    really

holy hell I could play dark souls

I don't know if I want to but I'd had that firmly filed under u for unpossible

Dark Souls is not really THAT impossible. It's just a game that expects you to be careful, and will drill this into you by stomping you in the fucking face until you get the message and start being careful. Caution and patience are an undead's mightiest weapons.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am delighted by all the various playstyles the weapons in this game present to you. I'm experimenting, gleefully doing the training tier 1 missions (for the Z as well) and then redoing other quests just to go hunting and try out new weapon combos. I just picked the glaive as my first weapon of choice. I seem to enjoy 'nimble' and reach on my weapons.

I keep trying to play this like Dark Souls and forget that M.Hunters dont have an i-frame to their name. Its making Great Sword use pretty hard for me, but its the only high rank weapon I have at this time, made from the Hermitaur.

Don't have an i-frame? Dodge gives i-frames and the evade skill will let you increase the time on it.

No skill: 6 frames (0.2 sec)
    Evasion+1: 10 frames (0.33 sec)
    Evasion+2: 12 frames (0.4 sec)
    Evasion Down: 3 frames. (0.1 sec)
    Evasion+3: 18 frames, if I'm doing the math right. (0.6 sec)

Found the exact times over on reddit. I used to know them by heart.
    Dark Souls is I think somewhere between 12 and 16 i-frames (I forget exactly where it tends to land) and that game doesn't have a ton of slow-moving constantly-active hitboxes that are bigger than your entire body. You might as well have no base i-frames in Monster Hunter by comparison. In hundreds of hours of Monster Hunter I don't think I ever once successfully i-framed anything without at least Evasion+1.

Nargacuga with Evasion+2 feels somewhat Souls-y (but still less forgiving). Anything tougher than that and it's not even close.

You can make it through a lot you wouldn't think you can. Evade+1 is super solid when you learn to roll into monster attacks and not away from them.

Maybe I should play the souls games because they're starting to sound pretty easy. :lol:

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I mean, ultimately I die in Dark Souls WAY more often than I cart in Monster Hunter, because you have less health, less stamina, less healing, attacks cost stamina, non-boss enemies are relevant, swarms are a problem, etc. But blocking and dodging specifically is much more powerful.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    In Soulsborne you are a ghost that can bob and weave through the apocalypse, especially Bloodborne. I keep trying that without high Evade in MH and get sent flying. I still am.

I am of the belief that Soulsborne tutorials are bullshit and you should not be afraid to glue yourself to online tutorials and wikis if it helps your experience. I wrote my brother an entire miniguide to Bloodborne when I got it for him for Christmas. Now if only he would start the game so I can co op with him. He's probably waiting until DS3 comes out just to torment me.

In better news, I finally crafted the Assault Insect Glaive and with Gaijinhunter's guide on both moves and Min-Maxing your bug....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH this thing is nuts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqOFUMKaAE

Cantido on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, going from MH to Dark Souls (1) you get crazy i-frames comparatively speaking, I've always been an evade player in MH anyway, there's a lot of stuff you can easily cheese in DS with a well-timed dodge, it's fun!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I was going to go digital but the $8 prime discount on pre-orders sounded pretty good to me so I just pre-ordered Generations.

Now they need to get it to me before 8pm on launch day this time.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    Yeah, the last page made me curious, so I'm going to craft the latest glaive and then follow allong the Gaijinhunter tutorial.

EDIT - You can capture monsters when the mission says to "Hunt" them, right? Not only would it help me get better loot, it would end some bullshit fights early.

May also want to check out this list about kinsect feeding. You can really ruin a glaive early on and have to craft a whole new one.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71332324

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • Options
    ogretz wrote: »

May also want to check out this list about kinsect feeding. You can really ruin a glaive early on and have to craft a whole new one.

But bear in mind that this only matters if the glaive has a rarity 10 version. Low rank only has three glaives and of those only Gore Magala goes that high, so Bone and Nerscylla are just training glaives that you don't have to care about (it's probably better to just rush speed on them because it's the most independently-useful stat).

• Options
    Nerscylla goes to Rare 9 and can have the max level kinsect no problem, though. I should know, it's the one I'm using, with Extract Extend. I know Chameleos one is a bit better, but that requires farming Chameleos, and screw that noise.

• Options
    So there's now a non-April Fools, semi-official English patch in the works for MHO. That's neat. Maybe I'll finally download it and see what the lag is like.

stream
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    ogretz wrote: »

But bear in mind that this only matters if the glaive has a rarity 10 version. Low rank only has three glaives and of those only Gore Magala goes that high, so Bone and Nerscylla are just training glaives that you don't have to care about (it's probably better to just rush speed on them because it's the most independently-useful stat).

Yeah, I'm using an Assault Glaive (high rank Nescrilla) and, for now, just dumping speed into it.

• Options
    Their april fools event was . . . interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDnAMnw9_s

stream
  • Options
    I'm into it

hell, make a real thing that does that, it'd be a pretty appropriate schtick for a goofus bird wyvvern

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    That's incredible.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm bemused. Why isn't MHO an official NA release?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    It's a Tencent game, licensed from Capcom, but they're not actually developing it. Either Tencent wants to keep it in China, or they have a deal with Capcom to keep it there (maybe to not compete with Frontier and the console releases?)

stream
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I'm into it

hell, make a real thing that does that, it'd be a pretty appropriate schtick for a goofus bird wyvvern

There's already a Yian Kut-Rath.

• Options
    that's true

they could just retcon whygee to parrot another monsters moveset as a function of whatever level and map you find it in

so like at low rank it'll do something silly like ape zinogre, prancing around, squawking at the sky while nothing happens because it doesn't have electricity powers

but by g-rank? rajang

but you just said--

pretty bullshit, right? so it's fitting

I love garuga so much

• Options
    I just realized my chef's meats are still shit tier. How do you find a Firestone so I can upgrade that?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I just realized my chef's meats are still shit tier. How do you find a Firestone so I can upgrade that?

4G? Mining volcanic hollow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

4G? Mining volcanic hollow.

Thank you. For some reaon I got nothing my first run, changed it to the Gathering Hall counterpart and got three. Perhaps the hall yields rarer gatherings.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    All that should affect drop rate is rank. Online and offline have the same lists.

That said, it's somewhat uncommon to begin with.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If you're trying to get those rarer mining (or bug-catching, or whatever) drops, you want to eat for gathering and that lucky random spawn in the secret mining area. And there's also that each type of ore can only be mined from certain parts of the map, even if its the right rank. So just because there's a mining spot, doesn't mean it will get you what you're looking for.

That's rng for you.

stream
  • Options
    btw, for you newer players who are in g-rank, or maybe stuck at high, or just want to get creative with your options, you should get yourself Athena's ASS (armour set searcher), spend a few minutes inputting your best charms, and see what you can do.

stream
  • Options
    I really hope they hold on to the idea for the hunting hound weapon and implement it in 5.

Would probably instantly become one of my favorites.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    All that should affect drop rate is rank. Online and offline have the same lists.

Also, I looked up the missions to upgrade my kitchen further. I think I broke sequence. We succesfully did the Sootstone missions were I met my first NOPEadile (Deviljho.) But my Assault Glaive puts them on the ground like a baller. I think the only reason I don't see that many glaives online is that people aren't Youtubing how awesome they are.

But now my Canteena is awesome.

Cantido on
  • Options

Also, I looked up the missions to upgrade my kitchen further. I think I broke sequence. We succesfully did the Sootstone missions were I met my first NOPEadile (Deviljho.) But my Assault Glaive puts them on the ground like a baller. I think the only reason I don't see that many glaives online is that people aren't Youtubing how awesome they are.

People use Glaives less in online because common wisdom is that mounts are a small reduction in DPS when you have four people beating on a monster, since people have to stop attacking while you do the mount.

Spamming mounts is still one of the most reliable ways to break everything in monsters that jump around a lot, though.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I have discovered the wonders of SnS + Bombs from Gaijinhunter. Damn that's a handy trick to stun monsters.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Drascin wrote: »

People use Glaives less in online because common wisdom is that mounts are a small reduction in DPS when you have four people beating on a monster, since people have to stop attacking while you do the mount.

Spamming mounts is still one of the most reliable ways to break everything in monsters that jump around a lot, though.

Even without mounting, when you get a Monster Juice Royal Flush and you have a good Kinsect, the damage and mobility on it is nuts with easy upkeep during combat.

Cantido on