As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Work Out a New Breakfast Routine for Quid

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
For a few years now nearly every morning I've made a couple slices of thick cut bacon, some eggs, and coffee. However, in an attempt to be just a bit more healthy I'd like to cut out red meat from my diet. Thing is there was a great efficiency to that combo. Start coffee, cook bacon, fry eggs in bacon grease, and it'd all be done in time for my first cup to be poured.

Which leaves me with trying to figure out something that might be as straightforward. The best I can come up with so far is omelets but there's a bit of prep time and extra utensils involved which irks me. And before anyone asks turkey bacon is a no go. Tried a couple different brands and just don't care for it at all.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Have you tried various sausages? I'm sure you could find a non-red meat sausage somewhere, and you can fry eggs in sausage grease just as easily as bacon grease.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I like avocado toast, sometimes with eggs. I mash up about half an avocado with red pepper flakes, lemon juice and a little salt. I spread that on toast. Occasionally I top it with a scrambled or over easy egg.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I start my kettle for french press coffee with extra water, once it's done I fill my coffee carafe and then use the rest to heat up some quaker oatmeal about 4 days a week. On the other Three days I take a sweet bell pepper , slice them into three large "bowls" and fill them with either honey& goat cheese or spicy hummus.

Enc on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Have you tried various sausages? I'm sure you could find a non-red meat sausage somewhere, and you can fry eggs in sausage grease just as easily as bacon grease.

Oh dang didn't even think about this. I love chicken sausage too. I'll see if I can get some today and try it out tomorrow.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Dammit I was going to say turkey bacon.

Chicken sausages might be your friend, I've come to prefer them to regular ones. You could also do some boiled eggs the night before to have with them.

A favourite of mine are baked bananas. Slice a banana in half, put it on some foil with some honey, nutmeg, almonds and strawberries then bake in the oven with the foil wrapped up. Stick some yogurt on there and some choc chips if you're feeling fancy.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if your red-meat stance is because of the WHO classification that just came out, but in case it is. The processing of the meat in bacon/sausage etc is more potent carcinogenicity than the red meat itself. So switching to turkey/chicken sausage, is probably not going to help much there.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    While fluffy omelets take a some prep work, you can get close with far less effort.

Toss grapeseed oil into your frying pan, crack open your eggs, add pre-sliced deli cheese, spinach, herbs, use a spatula to break up the yolk, cover it, and let it cook. Don't whip the eggs, don't use milk to make if fluffy, don't fold it over until it's on your plate.

It's not really an omelet, more like broken yolk fried eggs with cheese and spinach, but it'll be close enough, with near zero prep time.

And it's perfectly fine to completely skip the meat, as eggs and cheese are good sources of protein by themselves.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Oh dang didn't even think about this. I love chicken sausage too. I'll see if I can get some today and try it out tomorrow.

Trader Joe's sells some fake meat sausages and chorizo that is pretty damn tasty too. I use those for breakfast.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    In order to cut down prep time you could dice up your preferred omelet ingredients on Sunday night and have them in sealed containers in your fridge for the whole week so that you are just grabbing the right portion for a given day. Some people can't eat the same thing every day but it doesn't sound like that is a problem you have, and you can always mix it up every week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Why not substitute your slices of bacon by some toasts ? It seems like a minimal change from your routine.
    Just start your coffee, put the slices of bread in the toaster and cook your eggs. All operations should take about the same time. And then you can mix it up by changing what you put on the toasts. Plus, you can use your toasts to scrape up the liquid yolk from the plate !

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    In order to cut down prep time you could dice up your preferred omelet ingredients on Sunday night and have them in sealed containers in your fridge for the whole week so that you are just grabbing the right portion for a given day. Some people can't eat the same thing every day but it doesn't sound like that is a problem you have, and you can always mix it up every week.

This is another good option. I'll look at some tiny tupperware and see if that works. I think instead of omelets egg scrambles with mixed ingredients might work best.
    McKid wrote: »
    Why not substitute your slices of bacon by some toasts ? It seems like a minimal change from your routine.
    Just start your coffee, put the slices of bread in the toaster and cook your eggs. All operations should take about the same time. And then you can mix it up by changing what you put on the toasts. Plus, you can use your toasts to scrape up the liquid yolk from the plate !

I occasionally make toast too but I love meat and eggs. I have a Ron Swansonesque reverence for my breakfast and just toast and eggs doesn't quite cut it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I doubt it's much healthier because bread, but I bought one of those egg things to microwave an egg puck, ala McDonalds.

Start coffee
    Drop english muffin in toaster
    Microwave turkey sausage, while it's cooking:
    Crack egg into puck, beat with fork, microwave one minute
    Throw sausage and egg on english muffin, throw on piece of american cheese.

Bang, egg mcmuffin or whatever. Three minutes maybe.

I tried doing vegetarian sausage but it made me sad.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Alright I've got a plan.

2dD1dGP.jpg?1

One of those with three eggs scrambled up. Each one has a handful of green onion, mushroom, jalapeno, and a four cheese mix. If the last one is still good come this Friday I think I have a winner.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You might want to mix it up each day by adding in a different vegetable to keep things fresh - a tomato one day, a bell pepper the next, etc.

• Options
    If it works out I plan to do weekly change ups as desired. Otherwise I don't mind eating the same thing every morning so long as it's easy and tastes good.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @Quid I'm going to play devil's advocate here. If you like bacon and you haven't had Benton's I cannot impress upon you strongly enough how much you need to try this stuff. Quid they ship this fucking bacon directly to the Whitehouse. I promise you this is the best bacon you will ever consume in your life. I think you have to buy like three or four pounds minimum to get it shipped, but you will want it on hand after you've had your first taste.

Now let's say for the sake of argument you wake up one day and you're just not feeling bacon and eggs. Ever tried really good steel cut oats? They take a bit longer to make usually. Bob's Red Mill makes a few varieties and one of them is one that only takes 10 minutesish. Bob's Red Mill also makes a variety of other delicious hot cereals. My favorite is the apple cinnamon. Multi-grain, low on the glycemic index so it is a cereal that sticks with you. I also like adding fresh or dried fruit i have on hand.

• Options
    Er, my reason for cutting out bacon from my daily breakfast isn't cause it's not delicious enough.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Er, my reason for cutting out bacon from my daily breakfast isn't cause it's not delicious enough.

sure i get that, but it isn't like you have to give up bacon for eternity

i hope

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Does it have to be a cooked high-protein/fat breakfast? 5-minute oats are healthy, filling and tasty.

Boiled eggs are nice. Cooked just right so the yolk is runny and the white is hard. Yum. Dip with good bread.
    Shogun wrote: »

sure i get that, but it isn't like you have to give up bacon for eternity

i hope

Bacon every day is probably not a good idea. Bacon occasionally should be fine. But the OP is eating bacon every day, so he is right to rethink his routine.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What manner of cheese are you putting in your mix?

If you have a Costco near you, they have pretty good goat cheese at a reasonable price, and I just recently starting making scrambled eggs on the weekend with some goat cheese crumbles in them, and it's so good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not sure what kind of mushrooms you have going on, but if you like portobello mushrooms, they are meaty and very quick to cook, especially if you have a foreman laying about. Sliced portobello and scrambled egg on a bagel with cheese is a great breakfast, or a tortilla if you wanted to go breakfast taco and have less bread involved.

If you can grab a low sodium can of beans, blackbeans, Polenta and eggs are a great combo. You could also replace the Polenta with Quinoa (Fast to prep if you have a rice maker you can time).

Most of the other breakfast food I eat would be worse for you, so that's all I got.

• Options
    Does it have to be a cooked high-protein/fat breakfast? 5-minute oats are healthy, filling and tasty.

I like oatmeal well enough but it's never been especially satiating to me.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    For a quick/easy on the go type breakfast, I like a tupperware of yogurt/granola and one of cottage cheese/melon.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    If you want a non egg based alternative at some point, you can make steel-cut oats in a slow cooker. Super easy, and you can make enough for a week. If you chop a few apples in and throw in some cinnamon, your house smells like apple pie in the morning.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    If you want a non egg based alternative at some point, you can make steel-cut oats in a slow cooker. Super easy, and you can make enough for a week. If you chop a few apples in and throw in some cinnamon, your house smells like apple pie in the morning.

Based on this dumb thread I bought some steel cut oats, black strap molasses and psyllium seed husks for a fibertastic morning.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Just eat nachos & cheese for breakfast, Quid. It's working for me.

:)

I am going to die at 40 of diabetes and/or liver cancer. x.x

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage