Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I remember back in the 90s when I started working for Babbage's, our Sierra rep was basically the Blizzard marketing guy. I contacted him a couple times for employee order sheets (discounted orders for some of their titles), and he was always super nice to talk to and had nothing but glowing things to say about working there. I even had thoughts about going there too, and he told me I should send my resume to him first.

One time I got in touch with him, he asked what we were looking to order. Two days later a box showed up, no order form, but with five copies each of Starsiege, Starsiege: Tribes, Caesar III, and Half-Life.

:whistle: Those were the days :whistle:

Shadowfire on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I hope they got rockin' severance package. Any company might re-organize, but its important you treat right those folks you let go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    It is weird that they didn't lay them off until the tail end of the pandemic considering they were part of the live event department.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It is weird that they didn't lay them off until the tail end of the pandemic considering they were part of the live event department.

Wouldn't surprise me if they've decided to scale back the live events post-pandemic after learning how to do them online. Probably saves them a bundle.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm wondering how successful BlizzConline was. It's possible that they're planning on remaining in an all-digital format for a couple years or more. Laying people off sucks, and it definitely sucks to lose your job during this shitty time.

But this might be one of those instances where it isn't just an evil corporation being evil. I feel dirty even thinking of defending Activision because they are the scum of the earth. But if they decide to stop hosting live BlizzCons, there isn't much need for a live events team. It sucks, but that's a real possibility.

urahonky wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me if they've decided to scale back the live events post-pandemic after learning how to do them online. Probably saves them a bundle.

Yeah this is kind of where I'm getting at. It's just your standard reorg from a business and they are shifting focus from live events. Hopefully they got a good severance package out of it.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm wondering how successful BlizzConline was. It's possible that they're planning on remaining in an all-digital format for a couple years or more. Laying people off sucks, and it definitely sucks to lose your job during this shitty time.

But this might be one of those instances where it isn't just an evil corporation being evil. I feel dirty even thinking of defending Activision because they are the scum of the earth. But if they decide to stop hosting live BlizzCons, there isn't much need for a live events team. It sucks, but that's a real possibility.

I imagine it was successful enough for their business objectives (getting lots of eyes on their products and selling digital passes) that live BlizzCon starts to look like a waste of money in comparison. Most of the value in a convention is for the attendees, they're not the best way to distribute big news anymore.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I hope they got rockin' severance package. Any company might re-organize, but its important you treat right those folks you let go.

Yeah, about that...

More on today's Activision Blizzard layoffs:
    - Dozens of people at the whole company were impacted, not just in live events
    - In addition to 90 days severance and a year of health benefits, laid-off staff received... $200 Battle.net gift cards

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Lol wtf are former employees going to do with 200 in bnet credit? Buy hearthstone packs or wow time? A year of health benefits is nice I guess.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Year of health is good but 3 months salary is not enough while we’re still in a pandemic. Also the gift card is fucking ridiculous.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    If we're being realistic: it's a pretty damn good severance package. 1 year of healthcare is huge, and 3 months severance is quite a bit. I work in a "churn and burn" kind of industry that has a reputation for solid severance, and that ain't bad! The only people I've seen get more than that are people that are with a company for 5+ years and in fairly senior positions (and the year of healthcare is beyond anything I've seen).

The giftcard is cartoonish and dumb, aaand I do think that "old blizzard" is dead and Activision is 100% running the show.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    The gift card is so wrong I don't know where to begin. But a year of health care can be really good, depending on their coverage.

edited March 2021
    I think at least the 3 months is mandated by the EU and having offices over there. I believe if you have offices there, the severance laws apply wherever you have offices. When I got laid off at my last job our new owners had a couple offices in Germany so we ended up getting much better severance here in the US than we would have gotten otherwise, or any severance at all really.

webguy20 on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    It's just enough to steer the narrative the way Activison wants.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Eesh. "Shareholder value creation incentive" strikes me as the kind of thing that makes a CEO prioritize short term profit over long term sustainability, exactly the kind of thing that has doomed so many other big public companies.

I wonder if there is a universe where Blizzard somehow breaks off and goes private again...

8R7BtLw.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    Eesh. "Shareholder value creation incentive" strikes me as the kind of thing that makes a CEO prioritize short term profit over long term sustainability, exactly the kind of thing that has doomed so many other big public companies.

I wonder if there is a universe where Blizzard somehow breaks off and goes private again...

Blizzard as it is doesn't exist anymore , nothing to break off. It’s just activision mouth breathers in a different office .

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Over time, it’s sounded like the people that might have broken off... did.

By leaving blizzard.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That's exactly what it is

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

yeah this is what finally convinced me. I'll never spend a cent on blizzard games again.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Noggin wrote: »
    Over time, it’s sounded like the people that might have broken off... did.

By leaving blizzard.

Yup.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/23/21452257/blizzard-mike-morhaime-dreamhaven-secret-door-moonshot-games
    A group of ex-Blizzard employees, including the former CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Mike Morhaime, have started a new game development company under the name Dreamhaven.

Joining Morhaime at the startup are Blizzard veterans Jason Chayes (Hearthstone), Dustin Browder (StarCraft 2), Ben Thompson (Hearthstone), Chris Sigaty (StarCraft 2, Heroes of the Storm), Alan Dabiri (Warcraft 3, StarCraft 2), and Eric Dodds (Hearthstone, World of Warcraft), among others. Dreamhaven currently comprises two studios, Moonshot Games and Secret Door.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've tried taking the moral high road against the "big 3" before. But it's hard. It's real hard. Because all of them are still making games I want to play.

Even though ActivisionBlizzard is horrible, I still do like WoW, Diablo, and Starcraft. And I will still want to buy and play new games in those IPs even if the original talent is gone.

Likewise, EA is the absolute worst and there is no game company worse than them. They have left a trail of corpses of dead studios in their wake, killing and destroying all they touch. And FIFA Ultimate Team is an abomination and is a pox on mankind. But even still, I will continue to want games made by Respawn Entertainment (such as the inevitable sequel to Jedi Fallen Order), and games made by Bioware, such as the inevitable Mass Effect 4.

Ubisoft has more harassment, intolerance, misogynist, homophobic, and hostile work environment scandals than any other game company. The senior leadership of that company are all a bunch of horrible, horrible people. But even still, I love Assassin's Creed dearly.

The moral of the story is that as a consumer whore, it is hard for me to make a lasting moral stance against these companies because in the end my desire to play fun games outweighs my conscience.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Blizzard as it is doesn't exist anymore , nothing to break off. It’s just activision mouth breathers in a different office .

I mean, there's still some major talent. Off the top of my head Jeff Kaplan is still there, & Samwise Didier is still the art guy. In the music department, Russel Brower is gone, but Derek Duke, Glenn Stafford, and I think Jason Hayes are still with them (Hayes left around WotLK but came back to work on MoP). So I wouldn't be quite that harsh. But basically yes.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2021
    Important to note that Blizzard has been bleeding talent since 2003 when Bill Roper and the Schaefer's left to start their own studio.

Edit: ripped from Wikipedia
    Over the years, some former Blizzard Entertainment employees have moved on and established gaming companies of their own:

Flagship Studios, now defunct, creators of Hellgate: London, also worked on Mythos.
    ArenaNet, creators of the Guild Wars franchise.
    Ready at Dawn Studios, creators of The Order: 1886, Daxter, God of War: Chains of Olympus and an Ōkami port for the Wii.
    Red 5 Studios, creators of Firefall, a free to play game MMOG.
    Castaway Entertainment, now defunct, after working on a game similar to the Diablo series, Djinn.
    Carbine Studios, now defunct as of September 2018, after releasing a massively multiplayer title WildStar.
    Hyboreal Games, founded by Michio Okamura.
    Runic Games, now defunct, founded by Travis Baldree, Erich Schaefer, and Max Schaefer; creators of Torchlight.
    Bonfire Studios, founded by Rob Pardo.
    Second Dinner, founded by Ben Brode.
    Dreamhaven, founded by Michael Morhaime.
    Frost Giant Studios, founded by Tim Morten and Tim Campbell.

Undead Scottsman on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Important to note that Blizzard has been bleeding talent since 2003 when Bill Roper and the Schaefer's left to start their own studio.

Over the years, some former Blizzard Entertainment employees have moved on and established gaming companies of their own:

Flagship Studios, now defunct, creators of Hellgate: London, also worked on Mythos.
    Ready at Dawn Studios, creators of The Order: 1886, Daxter, God of War: Chains of Olympus and an Ōkami port for the Wii.
    Castaway Entertainment, now defunct, after working on a game similar to the Diablo series, Djinn.
    Carbine Studios, now defunct as of September 2018, after releasing a massively multiplayer title WildStar.
    Runic Games, now defunct, founded by Travis Baldree, Erich Schaefer, and Max Schaefer; creators of Torchlight.

I mean, having that many people leave is sad but other than ArenaNet & Runic Games, that's not a very impressive track record for their expats, is it?

Late edit: I forgot Eric Sexton (multi-discipline guy who worked on Diablo I & II), who was with Gearbox for a good long while, then left to work on Grim Dawn. He's had a pretty good run.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The Bonfire one is interesting, since it’s been like 5 years of working on... ???

This bit from Rob Pardo is on wikipedia from almost two year ago:
    “Pardo also described the pitch process. Everyone in the studio had the opportunity to pitch a game. Of the 40 original ideas, the studio chose 7 to expand into full fledged pitch decks. Everyone then stack-ranked their favorites, and when they chose the game the result was fairly unanimous.”

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    edited March 2021
    I'm hoping for great stuff from a number of those companies that are still extant.

I'm still bummed about what happened to Carbine's WildStar.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

Eesh... not a lot of winners on that list. Hellgate, 1866, Firefall, Wildstar... I never even heard of Djinn.

A few good ones (Guild Wars, mainly) but a lot of misses.

8R7BtLw.png
    I fuckin loved Hellgate London a whole lot. I wish they hadn't gone with the pseudo-MMO service structure. If it was like Diablo then I bet it would have done better.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Runic is defunct, but it gave use Torchlight, and that was pretty great.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm hoping for great stuff from a number of those companies that are still extant.

I'm still bummed about what happened to Carbine's WildStar.

I thought they had some cool ideas but they wildly misinterpreted what players actually wanted from their gameplay.

I never feel like I have enough context about the industry as a whole to properly judge churn lists like that. Like that seems like a ton of studios/projects from former Blizz peeps but it's over 18 years so you'd expect a ton of churn in that time. It gets complicated by the fact that most studios don't even make it half that long.

Carpy on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    we're too the point where metzen is the most senior guy still there

Jars wrote: »
    we're too the point where metzen is the most senior guy still there

Metzen retired in 2016.

shit, shows how much I've been following blizzard lately

Kaplan's the biggest guy there now. IIRC Overwatch was basically his baby, and he'd been head of WoW for quite a long time as well.

camo_sig2-400.png
    even then, kaplan didn't join until wow. so he was post WC3 and diablo 2

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    By definition every company loses all of its founding talent over time, whether they're well managed or not. That doesn't mean the company is now just an empty shell. The people who joined late are much less likely to be celebrities than the founders, but many of them are just as talented.

Zek on
    edited March 2021
    Losing a few people here or there over a relatively long period of time is just industry churn. Where it gets alarming is when a studio loses a bunch of key people in a relatively short period, because there's a certain amount of... legacy? Indoctrination? Let's go with heritage. There's a kind of heritage where people coming into a studio learn how to do what makes that studio special from working alongside old-timers, and can then pass it on in turn when they've become the old-timers. But if you lose too many of the influential old timers too quickly, then the heritage can be lost, and now you have a new/different studio wearing the old one's skin as a mask.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The video game industry is notorious for not fostering new talent to take over the positions the notable people have. If Kaplan left tomorrow, guess what? Whoever takes his place, they haven't been getting any sort of business place / talent nurturing to live up to the title or at least be notable in their own right.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    OP was updated. D2:R is launching on September 23rd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttPBtsZ5fc

oHw5R0V.jpg