As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There's still small WoW, SC2 and HS esports plus big OW league. HotS as a whole is kinda being left to the wayside.

SC2 is actually on a viewership upswing right now. It's not League, Dota or CSGO, but it's bringing in more and more viewers. The thing is, Blizzard doesn't really run the SC2 esports scene. IEM and Kespa events are the big players there, and the once a year Blizzcon which Blizzard does run...but they don't have a strangle hold on the SC2 scene that executives want to make the big dollars.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I honestly can't decide what I feel about the GoG thing. It's the kind of thing I would have probably thrown money at in the past but now it's like... eh... I kinda don't want to support Blizzard in this...

Honestly I don't know that I want them to do WarCraft 1 & 2 because I love those games and I'd rather not make a hard decision over them :/

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh I bought that Diablo 1 ASAP. Especially because Blizz supports ME :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You have to pretty much open all your firewalls wide open to play Diablo 1 online today. Maybe they think they can make GOG eat the liability by putting it over there?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    There's still small WoW, SC2 and HS esports plus big OW league. HotS as a whole is kinda being left to the wayside.

SC2 is actually on a viewership upswing right now. It's not League, Dota or CSGO, but it's bringing in more and more viewers. The thing is, Blizzard doesn't really run the SC2 esports scene. IEM and Kespa events are the big players there, and the once a year Blizzcon which Blizzard does run...but they don't have a strangle hold on the SC2 scene that executives want to make the big dollars.

Both StarCrafts are enjoying a little bit of a resurgence, which I am all about. I'd be totally unsurprised if there was some Blizzard community manager or something working behind the scenes to orchestrate some of it, but yeah a lot of it is at least officially untethered to the company.

Likewise with WC3. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game's recent regrowth in the community and tournament scene started bubbling not long before rumors of Reforged started floating around.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    do... do you think that other mobas don't have PvE in them?

i'm more confused at the implication no one likes the big mac bun

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I appreciated the consolidation because I play Destiny 2 and it's nice to not need to install yet another fucking launcher.

I mean...

My solution is to put those games on Steam. Consolidation solved.

Sorta like how I haven't bought a PC EA game since they dropped Steam in favor of their own (crappy) Origin service. I mean, I don't give EA money anyway so it's a moot point, but it's double true for PC EA games. I refuse to install or use Origin.

You can't be opposed to all launchers but one. There's nothing inherent about Origin that makes it lesser than Steam except that Steam came first.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Diablo 1 has the most nostalgia in the history of PC gaming. I've been trying to figure out how to play it again...

What I'm saying is that Hitler himself could be selling it to me and I'd buy it from him.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    How the crap did we get by without "Hold alt to highlight all drops" and "Hold LMB to continue attacking"?

EDIT - oh, that's right...now I remember the broken mice left in the wake of Diablo.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    One nice thing about GoG is that you can download a version not tied to any installer. It makes things much more secure for archival reasons or if you want to save an installer on a computer that isn't internet connected.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    How the crap did we get by without "Hold alt to highlight all drops" and "Hold LMB to continue attacking"?

Trainers.

I used a pretty minimal one just for hold LMB and backing up my character to protect from online malfeseance.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

Trainers.

Never touched one.

The worst I ever did was learn how to dupe piles of gold using the screen edge technique.

...oh, and I was once given an Arch-angel's staff of Apocalypse in a lobby.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, it frustrates me that there isn't a larger market for "The game that you remember, but with a handful of QOL improvements that have come out of game design in the last 20 years." Instead of this trend of maintaining that shit, or just splashing on some shinier graphics.

Also, Diablo is 22 years old guys. Good grief.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Trainers.

Never touched one.

The worst I ever did was learn how to dupe piles of gold using the screen edge technique.

Godly Plate of the Whale, Kings Sword of Haste

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Trainers.

Never touched one.

Godly Plate of the Whale, Kings Sword of Haste

I thought godly plate of the whale was a modded item and not actually an item in the real game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think you could get those two mods. I know Staff of apocalypse either couldn't roll arch angel or couldn't exist in staff form. I forget.

And I think you can hold shift and LMB to auto attack?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My first time finishing Diablo I was playing a Rogue and actually got one of the really good unique bows to drop. Looking it up I think it was Windforce. The knockback basically made Diablo a pushover since he was flinching the entire fight.

That's my main memory of Diablo.

Well, that and The Butcher.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Just think before Diablo horror games weren't contractually obligated to have a butcher in them.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    When The Butcher reappeared in Diablo 3, that's when you really knew the writing was gonna be really bad.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    When The Butcher reappeared in Diablo 3, that's when you really knew the writing was gonna be really bad.

Aaahhhh, reheated meat.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

You mean the blizzard splash screen at the start didn't indicate that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I think you could get those two mods. I know Staff of apocalypse either couldn't roll arch angel or couldn't exist in staff form. I forget.

And I think you can hold shift and LMB to auto attack?

Holding shift to hold position and attack. LMB has to be repeatedly clicked in order to continue attacking beyond the first swipe/arrow.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Some of us hold onto the tiny spark of hope for longer than others.
    It was rekindled for me, a little, when nobody was surprised that the prince turned out to be Belial the whole time (also when Kuul pointed out how lame a hidden passage behind a waterfall was, then showed what a real hidden sanctuary should look like), but then he did the whole predictable betrayal bit too...
    Then it guttered out more or less completely in the third act the third or fourth time Azmodan showed up to taunt us by revealing that the plan I just stopped was never the real plan, which was to...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I remember the slow horror overtaking me as I realized what WoLs writing was like.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I appreciated the consolidation because I play Destiny 2 and it's nice to not need to install yet another fucking launcher.

I mean...

Sorta like how I haven't bought a PC EA game since they dropped Steam in favor of their own (crappy) Origin service. I mean, I don't give EA money anyway so it's a moot point, but it's double true for PC EA games. I refuse to install or use Origin.

You can't be opposed to all launchers but one. There's nothing inherent about Origin that makes it lesser than Steam except that Steam came first.

A) You can't tell me what I can and can't be opposed to, and to think you can dictate another man's opinion is downright goosey.
    B) Origin is inherently lesser than Steam because it sucks so so bad. Have you seen Origin? It's awful. People talk about Steam having a bad interface, but it is the best digital store interface out there. It might be bad, but the others are worse.
    C) I am opposed to all other launchers but one because Steam got there first and I invested money into a library on Steam long before EA pulled out or Activision pulled out or whatever. I can favor Steam because I want library consolidation. That's an ok thing for a person to think.

• Options
    edited March 2019

I mean...

*snip*
    B) Origin is inherently lesser than Steam because it sucks so so bad. Have you seen Origin? It's awful. People talk about Steam having a bad interface, but it is the best digital store interface out there. It might be bad, but the others are worse.
    *snip*

Sounds like you haven't looked at Origin since 2012(edit-okay, okay, 2016). I *far* prefer it over Steam.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I haven’t experienced any of the shitty user experiences people talk about with Origin or even uPlay.

Now, the Bethesda launcher? That’s hot garbage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Origin is a much better launcher than Steam, and it's not even close.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Origin is actually a low key very good launcher, aside from some weird UI choices.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    People don't even know why they hate launchers, it's pure herd mentality.
    Then people complain about monopolies.

The two really awful launchers are Bethesda and before it was GFWL, which actually broke a lot of things a lot of the time.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

The writing was kind of on the wall as far back as Diablo 2 really, when they retconned Inarius' metal as fuck storyline from Diablo 1's manual(1, 2) and turned it into that wet noodle "it was actually totally me the whole time!" Shyamalan nonsense. (not even going to mention the further "No, wait! Actually, Inarius is your great-great-great-great-great-great.....etc. Granddad!" revisions in D3)

I think they could have worked it if they had instead leaned into the Butcher and Leoric as an allegory for what they were kinda going for in D2 with Marius and the Diablo 1 heroes, with the more nihilistic, cyclic foreshadowing. Like, all this happened before, all this will happen again. They'll keep coming back, you're involved with shit way beyond you; In fact, this is probably what awaits you too - you're just a mortal opposing cosmic forces that have existing long before you and will exist long after you. But you still have to do it because what will happen if you don't is going to be unimaginably worse. But... yeah, we all know what we got.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see what they do with D2 remastered. I don't think they can do what they did with SC, just updating the graphics and keeping all the code the same, allowing old version to be compatible. The online community of D2 is saturated with hacked/duped items at this point.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

The writing was kind of on the wall as far back as Diablo 2 really, when they retconned Inarius' metal as fuck storyline from Diablo 1's manual(1, 2) and turned it into that wet noodle "it was actually totally me the whole time!" Shyamalan nonsense. (not even going to mention the further "No, wait! Actually, Inarius is your great-great-great-great-great-great.....etc. Granddad!" revisions in D3)

I think they could have worked it if they had instead leaned into the Butcher and Leoric as an allegory for what they were kinda going for in D2 with Marius and the Diablo 1 heroes, with the more nihilistic, cyclic foreshadowing. Like, all this happened before, all this will happen again. They'll keep coming back, you're involved with shit way beyond you; In fact, this is probably what awaits you too - you're just a mortal opposing cosmic forces that have existing long before you and will exist long after you. But you still have to do it because what will happen if you don't is going to be unimaginably worse. But... yeah, we all know what we got.

I think Diablo 1's story was a lot more focused and simple...you are a traveling warrior that shows up at Tristram because crazy shit happened and you try to find out what's going on. Since there's only one above ground area, you spend more time talking to the characters and doing so tells you a little more of what's going on in the town of the people that remain. Plus the manual had a lot of story stuff in it, which was interesting to read. Blizzard really used to nail it with those manuals. As a kid, when you couldn't play the games, you were still invested in them by reading those manuals. For the story in Diablo 2 and especially 3, I didn't really care at all. Diablo 2 was also a game that I was purely playing in multiplayer, and never in single player. Diablo 3's story belongs in a saturday morning cartoon or something.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Old game manuals are the best. I used to read the Homeworld manual over and over.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what they do with D2 remastered. I don't think they can do what they did with SC, just updating the graphics and keeping all the code the same, allowing old version to be compatible. The online community of D2 is saturated with hacked/duped items at this point.

They freaking hand drew the updated SC graphics. They really can't just do that with D2 where many of the characters are composed of numerous tiny body parts that the 3D pre-rendering coordinated to its proper positions. Visually its a much more complicated game overall.

I'm betting they don't even have the source since it was at Blizzard North and have to basically recreate from scratch. Brevik suggested as much.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    It was pure chance they even had the source for SCBW, iirc. Someone found it by accident

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

see317 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Some of us hold onto the tiny spark of hope for longer than others.
    It was rekindled for me, a little, when nobody was surprised that the prince turned out to be Belial the whole time (also when Kuul pointed out how lame a hidden passage behind a waterfall was, then showed what a real hidden sanctuary should look like), but then he did the whole predictable betrayal bit too...
    Then it guttered out more or less completely in the third act the third or fourth time Azmodan showed up to taunt us by revealing that the plan I just stopped was never the real plan, which was to...

Diablo 3 has far too much talking for the sake of hearing the characters talk, none of the bosses need to monologue at you, they just sort of do and at least in the case of Azmodan actively make the Story Arc of that Act worse for having it. Kuul actually works in this style personality wise but is completely wasted in the end.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still think the best thing they can do for D4 is to go back in time by ~1000 years and set the game during the age of legends or whatever they want to call it, when Tal Rasha and Bul Kathos and all of those people, who were probably also Nephalem, walked the earth.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

I think Diablo 1's story was a lot more focused and simple...you are a traveling warrior that shows up at Tristram because crazy shit happened and you try to find out what's going on. Since there's only one above ground area, you spend more time talking to the characters and doing so tells you a little more of what's going on in the town of the people that remain. Plus the manual had a lot of story stuff in it, which was interesting to read. Blizzard really used to nail it with those manuals. As a kid, when you couldn't play the games, you were still invested in them by reading those manuals. For the story in Diablo 2 and especially 3, I didn't really care at all. Diablo 2 was also a game that I was purely playing in multiplayer, and never in single player. Diablo 3's story belongs in a saturday morning cartoon or something.

That's good, because the holes in Diablo 2's writing...aren't hard to find. And I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the singleplayer, but 3 didn't come out of no-where.

I have to assume it's because D2 and LOD felt compelled to answer a few unresolved questions from D1 and explain they got us D2. What that meant was massive retcons out the ass and the D3 trap of "No, we really didn't need an answer to this particular question, especially a bad one." D1's simplicity is definitely not flawless, but it forces the player to fill the holes--a lot of holes, an entire cheese grater of holes--on their own. With D2's "Okay, here's what really happened," you can see the stage being set for D3's writing problems.

And I love D2's manual, even when it was deliberately contradicting D1's.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Origin is a much better launcher than Steam, and it's not even close.

I don't really have an opinion about any of the launchers so I'm interested to know why you think Origin is better. To me, Steam can be a bit annoying with the constant updates, but comparing them on the basis of UI is almost impossible due to the differing levels of scale (i.e. in terms of # of games on the service). It's almost better to compare Steam to Google Play or the iOS store.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest