As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Cataclysm was an amazing expansion. Blizzard made a promise to update the game from the ground up as the story / setting changed and Cataclysm did exactly that. People got mad at Blizzard for holding to a very-early development promise. If Cataclysm didn't happen people would've been mad at them for NOT following through.

Relevance to the discussion at hand: People are going to be mad no matter what company (Blizzard) does one way or another and it's getting exhausting. I used to take part in that stuff, but got caught up in so much IRL stuff over the last few years that I was able to look from the outside-in on video game enthusiasm and see it for what it is a lot of the time. People taking "I don't like this one thing" to "the company is tainted, purge it or be forever lost to the demons of blah blah blah."

My issue with Cataclysm is that now there are zones permanently on fire and filled with twilight cultists long after that storyline has lost all meaning. I wish they had been a bit smarter with how they changed things. That and there was like no endgame at all.

Also they legit ruined some dungeons when they chopped them up. I don't disagree with how they split some of them, but like, literally about 80% of Sunken Temple isn't used or even accessable now. I also seriously hate what they did to Deadmines.

I actually miss the landscape from before the changes. That's the eternal MMORPG dilemma: content lost.

Granted, I don't miss old Ogrimmar much, or the pre-BC High Elf models at all, but I can sympathize with people who might. Pre-Cataclysm the world felt a lot more tied to the earlier franchise lore, the monuments and locals of that world. Making those changes for the sake of gameplay and advancement were probably the right call, but it doesn't change the fact that I miss them.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What happened to Sunken Temple?

They cut off most of the instance and turned it into a hub-like area with boss rooms attached to a central chamber. All of the upper and lower floors are gone.
    Preacher wrote: »
    What happened to Sunken Temple?

They made it not be a sloggy suck fest. Sadly there is nothing they can do about black rock depths being a hole of unescapable suck.

Yeah, they made the damn place not take forever. But they also removed all the fun architecture of the place.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Some people say they made it not a slogfest, others say they catered to the weak and impatient.

:).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    they just lopped everything out of Sunken Temple and made it a 5 minute LFG revolving door dungeon

I agree that Cata was both great in its own time and also a very short sighted/regrettable path for them to take because yeah the game world is fucked up and weird now (except for beautiful beautiful Wintergrasp, largely untouched)

their play for this has mostly been "lul just buy/have a token and skip it"

i have many strong opinions on the topic of old wow vs new wow that are way too long for a forum post

but uhh I will neatly summarize as, yes, i DO remember what vanilla was like, vividly and in detail, because it was one of the the most memorable gaming experiences of my life. i still remember ridiculously specific details of my first day playing the game, in Goldshire, drinking after every kobold, and many days between that and the months I spent grinding vanilla raids. i hardly remember anything about this game post-Cata, and i played a LOT.

now, do i think that 1.0 leveling was FUN? no of course not. it was hilariously brutal, but there's a big wide middle ground between what was then (draconian by todays standards) and what is now (basically Diablo with more buttons, no downtime, perfectly designed by a team of 200 people to ensure that you never have to do anything but click "Accept Quest" again)

In old WoW there were journeys and destinations, and it was everyones right to value judge whether that was worth it. Looking back I would always say "absolutely fucking yes" it was worth it. In new WoW I don't feel anything. It's just bar filling, hand delivered to your screen in measured doses to ensure that the devs have enough runway to get you the next spoonful just as you finish swallowing.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah sunken temple was my favorite dungeon. Most people were completely lost there and when you could guide a group through there without getting lost, and do the statue boss and summon hakkar people thought you were involved with some dark pact with satan. Also if you did the entire dungeon you would gain like a level and a half, and with so many bosses probably some loot too.

Im looking forward to doing the old stuff again. It just isnt the same now with all the different scaling and completely different class design.

Im pretty sure if they were to remaster D2 with some extra bells and whistles they would make a killing. I know i prefer it to D3, but dont particularly care for path of exile.

Sort of interested in whether they will use the wc3 remaster to release first and hype wow classic, or the other way around. This stuff needs to release sooner rather than later though. Ive started to play through some older final fantasy games because i just dont care for a lot of newer games.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Cataclysm was an amazing expansion. Blizzard made a promise to update the game from the ground up as the story / setting changed and Cataclysm did exactly that. People got mad at Blizzard for holding to a very-early development promise. If Cataclysm didn't happen people would've been mad at them for NOT following through.

Relevance to the discussion at hand: People are going to be mad no matter what company (Blizzard) does one way or another and it's getting exhausting. I used to take part in that stuff, but got caught up in so much IRL stuff over the last few years that I was able to look from the outside-in on video game enthusiasm and see it for what it is a lot of the time. People taking "I don't like this one thing" to "the company is tainted, purge it or be forever lost to the demons of blah blah blah."

My issue with Cataclysm is that now there are zones permanently on fire and filled with twilight cultists long after that storyline has lost all meaning. I wish they had been a bit smarter with how they changed things. That and there was like no endgame at all.

Also they legit ruined some dungeons when they chopped them up. I don't disagree with how they split some of them, but like, literally about 80% of Sunken Temple isn't used or even accessable now. I also seriously hate what they did to Deadmines.
    I hate to tell you this but WotLK's content is filled with undead long after that storyline has lost all meaning. Pandaria is filled with nightmare creatures long after that's lost all meaning. Outland is filled with the Legion still.

But the landscapes are not screwed up. You can squint and not notice. It's hard not to notice the giant ass volcano in the middle of Ashenvale.

Also with regards to Sunken Temple, I'm not saying they don't chop it up, but they should have turned it into two or three dungeons instead of lobotomizing it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm still sad I never got the complete Beaststalker/Beastmaster set for my hunter.

Then again, you can get reproduction armor..or even transform actual useful armor, at this point, to look like it.

Synthesis on
  • Options

I hate to tell you this but WotLK's content is filled with undead long after that storyline has lost all meaning. Pandaria is filled with nightmare creatures long after that's lost all meaning. Outland is filled with the Legion still.

But the landscapes are not screwed up. You can squint and not notice. It's hard not to notice the giant ass volcano in the middle of Ashenvale.

Also with regards to Sunken Temple, I'm not saying they don't chop it up, but they should have turned it into two or three dungeons instead of lobotomizing it.

i do think at some point they actually did make sunken temple a multi-wing queue-able dungeon, I think they scrapped that for Cata though. i don't even know what happened with Black Morass in Cata, or if anyone has even gone there since Cata

back in the day it used to be one of those Horde-only zones

• Options
    The blasted lands are the black morass. It was only a swamp in the caverns of time dungeon.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I would be a ton more interested if Vanilla is actually going back to Vanilla 1.0 instead of 1.13 or whatever. Give me original Stratholme that was brutal as fuck to five man. Back when people still hadn't killed Ragnaros and the Argent Crusader staff was basically the best caster weapon in the game. But it sounds like they are going to start at 1.12/13 for most of the balance stuff and just stagger content releases.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I would be a ton more interested if Vanilla is actually going back to Vanilla 1.0 instead of 1.13 or whatever. Give me original Stratholme that was brutal as fuck to five man. Back when people still hadn't killed Ragnaros and the Argent Crusader staff was basically the best caster weapon in the game. But it sounds like they are going to start at 1.12/13 for most of the balance stuff and just stagger content releases.

It is. It's just using the 1.13 codebase to fix bugs and stuff. They've been confusing about this but basically WoW Classic will cycle through all the vanilla patches.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    are they using 1.13 talent trees? I figured they would since it makes the classes so much more playable

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »

Nah I don't want 1.0 exactly, caster design was atrocious back then. That was back when Blizzard had the bizarre philosophy that intellect didn't need to directly increase their damage; they figured it would somehow work competitively enough to indirectly increase their throughput by virtue of a larger mana pool, with more overall time spent casting their spells rather than sitting there and wanding.

This... proved untenable long-term.

Not to also mention all of the other balance problems with release Vanilla. (Spirit on melee dungeon set armor. :+1:)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    are they using 1.13 talent trees? I figured they would since it makes the classes so much more playable

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe. I do know "world" content will be 1.0 (so like, maybe only MC and Onyxia open first, then BWL later, then an AQ gate opening world event, etc)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    i personally hope that they do 1.13ish talent trees

there's no need to subject a new generation of players to 1.0 paladins or druids.... or 1.0 anything really. just wayyyyy too many useless talent trees and one-note classes

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    If I could sub for a month for Classic, I'd probably do it to re-live Scarlet Monestary and Maraudon again.

Jesus, I haven't thought about those in a hot minute. I'd hope they also include Dire Maul, that was some good shit.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    A bunch of people from my work want to get on WoW vanilla when it comes out, but I think we've all forgotten what a massive time investment that game was. I don't think it will be long before we realize we just don't have that sort of free time anymore.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I didn't mean talents, but from what I understood, the world would be 1.13 as well. Strat would be the nerfed 5 man version, Scholo the revised version, etc. I know AQ was gonna have the opening event and all the Scourge invasion events, but I was under the impression that the dungeons and talents and stuff would be set to the 1.13 balance. Which is a little sad to me (the dungeons, not the talent changes).

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    A bunch of people from my work want to get on WoW vanilla when it comes out, but I think we've all forgotten what a massive time investment that game was. I don't think it will be long before we realize we just don't have that sort of free time anymore.

This. I used to dread all the instances in Vanilla because early experiences with Wailing Caverns/Blackfathom depths showed that I was looking at somewhere from 1-3 hours uninterrupted. To say nothing of how long going to Molten Core took if you were able to get lucky enough to get an invite.

Also when everyone was talking about Sunken Temple before I had Blackfathom Depths in my head. Temple was a nightmare that I never bothered to figure out. I tried to skip that zone leveling. I think they could keep the bigger instances as long as they had the maps with bosses and points of interest that they have now. At least I think they have that now? I might be mis-remembering.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2019
    they have really good dungeon maps now but also new dungeons are just designed as a big tunnel where there's no mistaking where to go

BRD, still being largely the same as its original flavor, still causes confusion with players even though its instanced into specific wings now, because people disagree on where to go and what their wing entitles them to

but heck even UBRS could take over an hour without great gear... its definitely a slower game and yeah I'm sure most of us will be "casuals" by the standards of the time. but I think that's part of the charm... if you had gear in 1.x you likely paid your dues in a lot of ways.

Jasconius on
  • Options

I dont think it will be quite as big of a timesink as it used to be. People in general are better at the game now, and the theorycrafting is basically done. People will be a lot more efficient about how they do things. And even back in vanilla there were a bunch of people in my guild who were married with kids and had jobs, and would only hop on for raids or occassionally other things. It should still be doable once the leveling is done.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They have actually slightly moved away from hallway dungeons in BfA. There are a few instances with multiple paths, such as Tol Dagor, which allows a bit of freedom to choose a path in a few places, and then if you have a rogue or some premade lockpick items, that dungeon actually allows skips and shortcuts by picking locks. Atal'Alor is a fairly circular dungeon and there are many paths to take. That dungeon can be cleared in almost any order except for the final boss.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I've spent a long time with my GF on some 'non-blizz' vanilla WoW servers as of late. Not sure what the forum policy is on that sort of thing, but I'll say that the vanilla experience is as much a grinds as we remember, but the game is totally different as a result. It really is a 'world you live in' experience instead of a 'HAIL, HEROIC CHAMPION' kind of RPG.

I want to be an adventuring cow-man learning how to shaman right, not be the chosen cow-man of legends with an artifact weapon. It's just a very different experience!

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    no YOU specifically must save Azeroth... concurrently with 3 million other dudes. only you can do it (and also everyone else) and you all have a legendary sword that there are more of in the game world than pretty much any arbitrary piece of green loot.

• Options
    I think ill be excited just because professions will matter again, even if at some point only because of crafted resist gear. Its annoying only herbalism and alchemy matter in current stuff. Without the bonkers ilvl creep, crafted gear can actually still be useful.

I will still lose my mind if they announce some kind of warcraft 4 rts game though.

• Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    I've spent a long time with my GF on some 'non-blizz' vanilla WoW servers as of late. Not sure what the forum policy is on that sort of thing, but I'll say that the vanilla experience is as much a grinds as we remember, but the game is totally different as a result. It really is a 'world you live in' experience instead of a 'HAIL, HEROIC CHAMPION' kind of RPG.

I want to be an adventuring cow-man learning how to shaman right, not be the chosen cow-man of legends with an artifact weapon. It's just a very different experience!

This 100% is what I miss from WoW.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    i just remembered that vanilla warriors get those cool talents that let you specialize into specific types of weapons to get different bonuses like maces = stun and stuff... and suddenly got excited

imagine an RPG where your weapon choice actually matters

what an insane concept!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Remember weapon proficiency? Where you sucked with a weapon and couldn't hit with it until you hit things a certain amount of times? I remember hitting the burning dog corpses in molten core to max all my proficiency. I think their corpses never went away or something? I can't remember why that trick worked.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I remember Hunters having ammunition (that wasn't that long ago actually). And mana (unless it was a different resource pool that changed) because, why not, ranged heroes in Warcraft III had mana too.

• Options
    Remember weapon proficiency? Where you sucked with a weapon and couldn't hit with it until you hit things a certain amount of times? I remember hitting the burning dog corpses in molten core to max all my proficiency. I think their corpses never went away or something? I can't remember why that trick worked.

The dogs would resurrect if any one dog was left alive for long enough, I think to achieve this mechanic, Blizzard made the dog corpses a different type of actor in the system, allowing you to whack them for weapon skill indefinitely (they would go away after the dog boss was killed I believe)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It occurs to me, that instead of just rereleasing old content for free over time, if Actiblizz were truly devious, they could release new DIFFERENT WoW DLC that preserves the Vanilla WoW feel but does things differently. Just say it's an alternate timeline. Make the draenei the WC3 broken, add Naga in, make gnolls and furbolgs playable. Make the game even longer lived, and sell two different DLC lines

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    It occurs to me, that instead of just rereleasing old content for free over time, if Actiblizz were truly devious, they could release new DIFFERENT WoW DLC that preserves the Vanilla WoW feel but does things differently. Just say it's an alternate timeline. Make the draenei the WC3 broken, add Naga in, make gnolls and furbolgs playable. Make the game even longer lived, and sell two different DLC lines

That's always an option inside expansions ("Caverns of Time", etc.). It just comes down to whether they think it justifies the effort or not.

• Options
    I loved the weird sprawling layout of LBRS and UBRS (or, really, just BRS) and BRD. It made it feel like a place more then anything.

But that much time investment is also tough given where dungeons ended up on the progression track for the game.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

I dont think it will be quite as big of a timesink as it used to be. People in general are better at the game now, and the theorycrafting is basically done. People will be a lot more efficient about how they do things. And even back in vanilla there were a bunch of people in my guild who were married with kids and had jobs, and would only hop on for raids or occassionally other things. It should still be doable once the leveling is done.

Classic's time investment is also a lot looser since you don't have to log in everyday for dailies yet. The only timegate is raid lockouts, and the nature of Vanilla means that guilds are more active about getting new people up to par than poaching already geared people.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i just remembered that vanilla warriors get those cool talents that let you specialize into specific types of weapons to get different bonuses like maces = stun and stuff... and suddenly got excited

imagine an RPG where your weapon choice actually matters

what an insane concept!

Yeah, hopefully whatever the best drop is matches that weapon type or else you are fucked!

The nostalgia is also strange to me. Especially the character progression systems all ended up overhauled over time for a reason.

• Options
    another thing I hope they keep/almost keep is the PVP ranking system.... maybe make it not so draconian that only like 4 people can have it at any one time or however it was back then, but make it so that getting Warlord gear remains symbolic

i remember a dude showing up to MC in Grand Marshall gear and wrecking shop, and that was so cool

• Options
    Jephery wrote: »

Classic's time investment is also a lot looser since you don't have to log in everyday for dailies yet. The only timegate is raid lockouts, and the nature of Vanilla means that guilds are more active about getting new people up to par than poaching already geared people.

The nature of getting people keyed means guilds were always more interested in poaching already ready people. Why spend all that time getting someone keyed and then sending gear their way to get them up to snuff and teaching them all the encounters and all that when you could just grab someone who's already ready to raid.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »

The nature of getting people keyed means guilds were always more interested in poaching already ready people. Why spend all that time getting someone keyed and then sending gear their way to get them up to snuff and teaching them all the encounters and all that when you could just grab someone who's already ready to raid.

Actively poaching people was a good way to get blacklisted back then though, and the pool of those people is really small.

Edit: I'm assuming they won't have paid server transfers available.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Well....I mean, we keyed people pretty easily. You could take 40 people into 5 man dungeons.

The major barrier was impatience. Our Horde side server first LUCIFRON KILL (yeah baby!) was two guilds working together.

Keying was never hard in vanilla for organized people / people who gave a damn.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Well....I mean, we keyed people pretty easily. You could take 40 people into 5 man dungeons.

The major barrier was impatience. Our Horde side server first LUCIFRON KILL (yeah baby!) was two guilds working together.

Keying was never hard in vanilla for organized people / people who gave a damn.

I keyed tons of people. It wasn't hard in the sense of difficult but it was a long, time consuming process and a huge pain in the ass.