As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to remember name of old fantasy book/series

taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
Alright it's been bugging me for years, I'm sure the books are cterrible and cheesy as hell but young me loved them 15-20 years ago,
It was kind of an urban fantasy/comedy, guy went in for a newspaper job ad and it turned out to be Merlin recruiting him to fight magic menaces,and they basically used logic as a weapon, I remember him Throwing floppy disks at monsters to kill them, iirc he ended up marrying Marlins daughter and a latter book involved the old man of the mountain and fighting assassins in Vegas,

Sound familiar to anyone?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A Logical Magician, by Robert Weinberg?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also there's a second book called A Calculated Magic

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The Theme sure sounds like that "Flight of Dragons" animated movie from the...uh...80's?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Vaguely akin to The Librarians film and later goofy TV show.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There's no way it's not the Weinberg books bowen mentioned in the first replies.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If you do read them and they turn out to be as terrible and cheesy as you fear, you might check out The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross to wash the taste out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Yup it was a logical magician, thanks! ordered a copy of it and the sequel for cheap off of amazon, thanks!

steam xbox - adeptpenguin