As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Democratic Presidential Primary Forum on MSNBC:

milskimilski Poyo!Registered User regular
I just realized this is going on, and it's probably more relevant in a GST than in the Hillary thread. There is currently a forum (not debate) taking place, hosted by Rachel Maddow. O'Malley, Sanders, and Clinton will all be speaking in turn.

It's live right now at this link!

I ate an engineer

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, we got a thread! And yeah, they're doing the candidates in the order you described. I think this should be pretty informative.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    For anybody just tuning in, O'Malley has been talking. Maddow is being pretty sharp as usual. O'Malley is talking about looking towards an economic future as a way to improve Democratic participation in elsewhere, with a jab at Hillary and a few at the Republicans so far.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    This is technically not a debate apparently? I guess due to DNC rules, but I wasn't aware a "debate" had a formal definition (at least not campaign style debates)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    O'Malley inserting his own laugh/applause break there.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Also, O'Malley layin the sick burns already. "Since we're the party that actually believes in science..."

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    This is technically not a debate apparently? I guess due to DNC rules, but I wasn't aware a "debate" had a formal definition (at least not campaign style debates)

Well, the format is different, too. It's more like a sequence of interviews.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Candidates are not on stage at the same time. It's just Maddow and 1 candidate at a time for equal amounts of time.

• Options
    Actually, O'Malley is doing really well, I think. He sounds incredibly informed and has a very strong presentation. Maybe the lack of a debate style is helping him, but so far I feel like it's all been relatively close to the quality of his closing speech at the last debate.

Assuming his policies aren't terrible in ways I don't yet know, I'd really appreciate seeing him in a cabinet position.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    +1 for not running away from Obama. O'Malley has mentioned him several times.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

It took longer to land than he expected, but eh, I won't begrudge him from not trying to plow through the audience reaction.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Maybe O'Malley wants to run the DNC for 2018?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »

It took longer to land than he expected, but eh, I won't begrudge him from not trying to plow through the audience reaction.

I just thought it was funny. Was not a bad line!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Going to be watching this time shifted about an hour because my wife wants to see it and she's still on her way home. I'll be interested to see if my reaction matches the thread's/media's.

I'd expect each of them to hold up fairly well to be honest

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

As long as his strategy is broader than his climate change/jobs point that he floats back to pretty aggressively, I think it would be a lot better than the current DNC.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

As long as his strategy is broader than his climate change/jobs point that he floats back to pretty aggressively, I think it would be a lot better than the current DNC.

DWS is made of leather, bronzer and snake venom so yes I agree.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Also god fucking damn the live comments on their site are awful. They're literally ignoring O'Malley or shouting at him to shut up so Bernie can talk, or raging against Hillary.

I know he isn't the important candidate in this primary, but every Bernie supporter viciously attacking the other Democrats is doing exactly what he wouldn't want. It's disgusting.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    O'Malley is always surprising me with how good he sounds. He says a lot of stuff that's awesome.

• Options
    O'Malley is actually doing well. I think they'd like what he was saying if they chose to listen.

• Options
    That Johnny Carson joke was pretty good.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I sort of disagree on the Mars Mission question being a stunt, if only because I know enough hardline NASA fans that saying rail would have pissed them off.

Still, the stunt questions were pretty fun!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also god fucking damn the live comments on their site are awful. They're literally ignoring O'Malley or shouting at him to shut up so Bernie can talk, or raging against Hillary.

I know he isn't the important candidate in this primary, but every Bernie supporter viciously attacking the other Democrats is doing exactly what he wouldn't want. It's disgusting.

I mean, comments pretty much everywhere are awful.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

I mean, comments pretty much everywhere are awful.

I dunno, I just sort of expect more from the cult-like following of a dude whose persona includes "I'm above petty politics and going negative, and I want the party to win if I can't."

I ate an engineer
  • Options

This is why I immediately (before comments loaded) switched to the "big video" layout. Fuck the mouthbreathers.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Whoever thought that intermission "music" for the stream was a good idea should be fired.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    O'Malley kinda has a George W Bush eyesquint thing goin on.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    That answer was amazing. O'Malley killed the draft/war tax question.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    THIS DEBATE IS BEING HOSTED AT MY ALMA MATER

FINALLY WE ARE MATTER

GO EAGLES

• Options
    Also I'm super jealous- my sister is there right now and has been texting me about it all week.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

It is not hard to be better than the current DNC, as it might be the worst DNC in history.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    O'Malley is doing pretty well at answering a very harsh question, though tbf it's probably the question he most prepared for.

Also: Imagine how much whining there would be about these gotcha questions in another situation.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Ridiculous strawman against both his opponents.

• Options
    Man, O'Malley slingin that mud.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It is not hard to be better than the current DNC, as it might be the worst DNC in history.

Listening to O'Malley, I'd be friggin' thrilled if he kicked DWS from her seat as the Chair. Though yes, that's kind of a low bar to clear with her.

• Options
    Eh, his attack has some merit. Bernie does have a tendency to make moral votes that go against the party, and Hillary is anti-Republican currently. I think he pretty much believes what he's saying with his attack, and that he can paint himself as a leader who strongly believes in the Democratic party.

It's not great and I'd prefer he didn't go negative, but I don't think it's ridiculous by any standards, if somewhat more direct than most comments in this campaign.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Any Democrat who denies the reality of the Republican Party would be a hopeless President.

• Options
    So weird seeing them in Byrnes

Ten years ago I sat in that hall during commencement

.....Oh jesus it was ten years ago wasn't it

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So weird seeing them in Byrnes

Ten years ago I sat in that hall during commencement

.....Oh jesus it was ten years ago wasn't it

arch, you're a bug

ten years for you is like one year for people you're safe

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Argh, Maddow, you limp dicked that question. You pointed out he's from a 95% white area, but couldn't actually say black, hispanic, or minority when talking about who he doesn't appeal to.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Huh, Bernie did not run from the word Social Justice. I wonder if the internet will hate him now. :wink:

I ate an engineer