As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional programming experience vs educational background

ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
I am going to be learning C# (possibly some complementary skills too like ASP.NET) as part of my developmental program for 2016 at my job. My degree is a BA in English. Looking at potential future job prospects, how confused am I going to make hiring managers? I am 10 years out of college at this point.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I came from an BA in English as well, picked up several types of programming, statistical modeling, graphic design, and GIS over the years. It's not uncommon!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    It is not going to be confusing at all.

Not every programmer has a formal computer education.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Okay, cool. I wasn't sure how common it was for people to come from non-CS backgrounds.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Actual job experience programming is going to mean more on a resume than a computer science degree unless you happen to have one from, say, MIT.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, the key is if you've used it professionally to create or maintain applications. Half the great sysadmins/dba's/programmers I've worked with had liberal arts degrees.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    It really depends on what you're trying for. I have a very good friend who has a BA in computer science and has been able to go very far with it. Some companies (typically smaller ones) are happy to look past a lack of formal experience if you can demonstrate that you have the skills and drive to succeed.

However, it's important to keep in mind that many, many companies will immediately ignore candidates that don't come from an engineering background. When you have to narrow down hundreds of resumes, it's an easy way of cutting down the pile. I don't say this to be discouraging, but I want to make sure you're aware that it will be an uphill battle to be accepted at the same level of a formally trained developer.