As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's Jessica Jones] (Tag your spoilers or face Jessica's snarky wrath)

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Also I'm very happy for David Tennant because I love the man but not a ton of the roles he gets

But he is just chewing up everything as Kilgrave

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So after almost 10 years, this new season of Veronica Mars is weird. I mean, this first episode, they replace Veronica with Woody Goodman's daughter and she's a drunk, and Aria T'Loak is now running a law firm instead of a private security firm, and both of them are on the east coast instead of west? You're going to lose your target audience, bros.

Episode 1
    It was actually kind of bleh until the last 10 minutes, which was good and got the tension and WTFness just right as opposed to the pepperings in the first 40 minutes of the show, and I think whoever is playing Patsy Walker or Trish Tilby or whatever she's called would have been a better Karen Page.

That sex scene was actually kind of laughable.

Just because the show can be 50 minutes as opposed to 42, doesn't mean it should. That would actually help the pacing. But that was the first episode, so who knows.

You're no fun.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm a regular Captain America.

But really, Veronica Mars was the first thing that popped into my head with the VO and picture taking and small detective office.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm a regular Captain America.

But really, Veronica Mars was the first thing that popped into my head with the VO and picture taking and small detective office.

Any detective noir ever was what it made me think of.

Which Veronica Mars was obviously a version of/reference to as well.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't remember Christynne Ritter in other noirs. Case closed, and that's the end of that chapter.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Episode 3
    I'm so happy "Sweet Christmas" made an appearance

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Damn that wisp of smoke in the intro! It's placed just perfectly.

I recently moved all smoking out of my house to the outside, so at the start of each episode I look around all angrily to see who lit up until I realize.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Carrie Anne Moss is really great in this too

Like her parts are infrequent but she's got this whole domestic drama going on on the side that's surprisingly compelling considering the kinds of things it's competing against for minutes

Really great.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Comixology is having a Jessica Jones sale.
    It is officially Jessica Jones day, and to celebrate, Comixology is offering a variety of Jessica Jones comics at discounted prices.

Included in the sale is the entire collection of Alias comics, written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Michael Gaydos. Launched under Marvel's MAX label, Alias is the series that the Netflix show draws its inspiration from.

For those that want to learn more about the character and her backstory, this is the series to do it with. Each issue is currently available for $1, meaning readers can get the entire collection for $28.

Direct Link

God fucking dammit I just bought those yesterday >_<

Anyway, got through to ep 6 and, um, certain other people are wimping out and talking about going to bed and stuff. Would I be evil if I told her good night and kept watching? :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the poor cockroach :O(

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

Like her parts are infrequent but she's got this whole domestic drama going on on the side that's surprisingly compelling considering the kinds of things it's competing against for minutes

Really great.

It's my fault, not hers, but I still can't see Carrie Anne Moss in roles and not wonder why she's not solving her current problem by jacking in and out of the Matrix

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Really great.

It's my fault, not hers, but I still can't see Carrie Anne Moss in roles and not wonder why she's not solving her current problem by jacking in and out of the Matrix

How many landline phones did you see? As soon as she left her office* she lost her way out. She's trapped in there.

*and even at the office she was often seen using a Bluetooth headset.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Really great.

How many landline phones did you see? As soon as she left her office* she lost her way out. She's trapped in there.

*and even at the office she was often seen using a Bluetooth headset.

Now I wonder what the Matrix rules regarding Bluetooth would have been.

Ep6 ending
    Damn that was a hell of a growth spurt from 11-12 compared to following and previous years

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeah Kilgrave goes from creepy to real creepy to oh my god aahhhhh

Seriously?

Ep1
    In the first episode, he's introduced by licking Jessica in her dreams, then moves directly to rape, double homicide, and then gives Jessica a big old grin by proxy from girl he just forced to murder her parents.

I'm at loss of where he can go from here on the creepometer.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Seriously?

Ep1
    In the first episode, he's introduced by licking Jessica in her dreams, then moves directly to rape, double homicide, and then gives Jessica a big old grin by proxy from girl he just forced to murder her parents.

Spoilers from ep1 to ep3
    The thing is, what you're saying is that Killgrave is a monster - which no doubt he is. But you get to see his CREEPY side on ep 3; up to ep 2 he's like Wilson Fisk with mind control powers

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Gator wrote: »

Seriously?

Ep1

Spoilers from ep1 to ep3
    The thing is, what you're saying is that Killgrave is a monster - which no doubt he is. But you get to see his CREEPY side on ep 3; up to ep 2 he's like Wilson Fisk with mind control powers

Disagree. Fisk wanted to be actually loved and respected. Oh, of course he was a monster. But but he wanted to be loved almost as much as he wanted to be obeyed.
    Fisk would never rape a woman, for example. He would consider something like that to be disgusting and beneath him.

/edit

He would have no problem dealing with sex traffickers though. Hypocrisy is a hell of a drug.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Man

Jessica is like the millefeuille of issues

one layer of issues on top of another on top of a thousand more

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Seriously?

Ep1

Three words (ep 7/8)
    Barbie's Nightmare House.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Partway into episode 9, but...
    You've got the devil in a cage, and you leave him alone with a LAWYER?

BAH GOD WOMAN

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So after almost 10 years, this new season of Veronica Mars is weird. I mean, this first episode, they replace Veronica with Woody Goodman's daughter and she's a drunk, and Aria T'Loak is now running a law firm instead of a private security firm, and both of them are on the east coast instead of west? You're going to lose your target audience, bros.

Episode 1
    It was actually kind of bleh until the last 10 minutes, which was good and got the tension and WTFness just right as opposed to the pepperings in the first 40 minutes of the show, and I think whoever is playing Patsy Walker or Trish Tilby or whatever she's called would have been a better Karen Page.

That sex scene was actually kind of laughable.

Just because the show can be 50 minutes as opposed to 42, doesn't mean it should. That would actually help the pacing. But that was the first episode, so who knows.
    That's Rachael Taylor, you may know her from Transformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhUh9cI7_4

I swear Michael Bay has a nega-talent for misusing talented actresses.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    hahaha episode 2
    Jessica is the world's least convincing nurse
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that in real life it's just as easy.

Anyway, I hope I'm not the only one who found KILL ME so over the top it was kind of laughable. It made me think more of Meet the Medic than deep suffering.

Coinage on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Just finished episode 2 and started three and I have a question.
    Are they going to go into how she has her abilities? She mentioned an accident but that's it and I'm not too familiar with her back story from the comics. Yes no answers only please
    loving this show so far though!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Hah, ep 10
    "Is that Pam?! Tell her I said hi /s /s /s /s /s"
    Kilgrave's interactions with people before it turns into full on horror show do get rather amusing sometimes

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Just finished episode 2 and started three and I have a question.
    Are they going to go into how she has her abilities? She mentioned an accident but that's it and I'm not too familiar with her back story from the comics. Yes no answers only please
    loving this show so far though!

Yes.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I am waiting with much anticipation for midnight, when I can start watching this without getting in the way of anyone else who shares the Netflix account.

Hype is rising... but I'm trying to keep it cool & level.

DD's greatness in my eyes was no doubt due in part to my lack of expectations, and JJ is unfortunately not going to have that benefit going for it. Won't do it any favors by getting too excited.

(Still excited anyway)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I didn't get to start watching until tonight, and I'm writing these small random thoughts as I go.

Episode 1:
    The last scene where the girl kills her parents, I think that made the show for me. Up until then I was thinking it was pretty good, but there wasn't any oh shit, that's great moment. But man, that ending has me hooked.

Episode 2:
    The bar fight was amusing, but my favorite part was the fact that the show is letting us know that this is Luke Cage right away. The buzz saw at the end really drove the point home. I can't help but think at some point Killgrave is going to take over either Luke or Jessica's mind so we get a Jessica vs Luke fight.

Episode 3:
    Sweet Christmas.

Episode 4
    Holy crap, the scene with the little girl just gave me chills. Killgrave is a real bastard.

Episode 5
    I'm really hoping the weird brother/sister neighbors are actually SHIELD agents undercover. Because otherwise, they're really creepy. Also, "Send the picture, save the junkie. Sounds like an ad campaign."

Episode 6
    Ok, that opening poker game was awesomely funny until he told the guy to put his head through the post. I also really like Mike Coulter as Luke Cage. Also, Killgrave buying Jessica's old home? Creepy as all out.

Episode 7
    I guess really weird neighbors aren't SHIELD agents. And boy is Killgrave possessive of Jessica. Also, Killgrave in the police station, just incredible.

Episode 8
    Killgrave having staff and paying them is amusing. Not really a fan of the whole divorce subplot though. Yay Killgrave quoting Star Wars! And now Killgrave fits into my D&D group with "How many people do I have to save to get back to 0 from all the killing?"

And that's as far as I can get tonight. My non-spoiler thoughts are that the fight scenes are kind of mediocre, but everything else ranges from good to excellent. I greatly approve of this show.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    There's a couple of scenes in episode 10 that are really odd and awkward and not up to the usual standards of dialogue of the rest of the show

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think the way they foreshadowed other Marvel stuff wasn't as well done as Daredevil.

The way that Nobu and Madame Gao figured into the plot in Daredevil felt very natural.

With this show,
    Simpson, Kozlov, and IGH felt shoehorned in. It was weird how Simpson just happened to be part of some secret government project. It kind of came out of nowhere.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Hah, ep 10
    "Is that Pam?! Tell her I said hi /s /s /s /s /s"
    Kilgrave's interactions with people before it turns into full on horror show do get rather amusing sometimes
    Ep10
    That was amazing, the doctor was pretty damned smart. Killgrave didn't catch her secretly calling for help like that.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Seriously?

Ep1

Man you have no fucking clue

Tennant is fucking perfect as Kilgrave

And perfectly fucking terrifyingly creepy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    This show might pass the rarer inverse bechdel

I don't think two guys have been on screen and had a conversation that wasn't about a woman, as of 6 episodes deep

• Options
    Also Luke Cage is just in general great

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Senjutsu wrote: »

This show was in a position to kind of make or break the larger Netflix Marvel project given that they had to cast two of the series leads, but they really nailed both of them. I am really digging the restraint and kind of, I dunno, stolid, dignified vibe Mike Colter is bringing to the role. He acts like a guy who really is hyperconscious of the damage he can do to people and doesn't want that on his conscience.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

This show was in a position to kind of make or break the larger Netflix Marvel project given that they had to cast two of the series leads, but they really nailed both of them. I am really digging the restraint and kind of, I dunno, stolid, dignified vibe Mike Colter is bringing to the role. He acts like a guy who really is hyperconscious of the damage he can do to people and doesn't want that on his conscience.

Yeah I noticed
    in a lot of scenes so far he doesn't fight exactly, he just lets it bounce of him and then puts a stop to it

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Ok I guess this Simpson stuff is some Marvel stuff that I don't get because it's making no fucking sense to me right now (midway through 10)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Ok I guess this Simpson stuff is some Marvel stuff that I don't get because it's making no fucking sense to me right now (midway through 10)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Yeah I noticed
    in a lot of scenes so far he doesn't fight exactly, he just lets it bounce of him and then puts a stop to it
    Right, exactly. And it's such a sharp contrast to how Jessica acts in the fights, and a good object lesson in how fight scenes can establish characterization.

• Options

Yeah I noticed
    Right, exactly. And it's such a sharp contrast to how Jessica acts in the fights, and a good object lesson in how fight scenes can establish characterization.

ep... 2? The bar fight.
    It's hilarious during the bar fight, the only thing he gets perturbed by is the sound of broken glassware. Jessica helping him out mostly only annoys him because she keeps breaking everything she gets near

• Options

Yeah I noticed

Also
    "Of course they're alright. I don't hurt dogs"

• Options
    Holy shit, episode 9 is directed by John Dahl, writer/director of the great 90s noir movies The Last Seduction and Red Rock West.

@Thomamelas