As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C++ Graphics Tutorial

IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wondering if anyone could link to me a good basic graphics tutorial (just on how to draw pixels on the screen basically and perhaps something about palletes) for c++. I tried searching the ye old internet, but i couldn't really find anything. it would be greatly appreciated, since my C++ High School Class is way too slow for me.

Alador239.png
IShallRiseAgain on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    C++ doesn't have anything built in for graphics, so you'll have to decide on which libraries to use. If you want to do fancy 3D stuff, try OpenGL. If you just want to do 2D graphics, try the Cairo Graphics Library, which runs on every major platform and is very powerful.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    .:Orion.:Orion Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's SDL for drawing stuff to your screen. I only used the .Net version with C# though but you could look into it.

If you've been following G&T, look at the TheSonicRetard's thread about a home-made Sonic to see what's possible with it.

.:Orion on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ok thanks

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's also DirectX if you really want to get advanced. Just do a search for DirectX tutorials and you'll find plenty of examples and walkthroughs.

Valkun on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Nehe's Tutorials yet. They're pretty much the best source, with the possible exception of a university course, from which to learn about OpenGL at the beginners' level.

Clipse on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DirectX and OpenGL are huge overkill if the OP just wants to do 2D drawing. DirectX and OpenGL are both fairly complicated.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Clipse wrote: »
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Nehe's Tutorials yet. They're pretty much the best source, with the possible exception of a university course, from which to learn about OpenGL at the beginners' level.

That guy's stuff drives me up a wall. The "tutorials" are incredibly bogged down by all the WIN32 API code, and it's next to impossible to take anything away from them since they fail to adequately summarize, from a conceptual standpoint, what the hell they're doing so that I can rework the important bits into my own programs (which tend to be very different, architecturally, from Nehe's code). They just ponderously go through the hilights or something of the program in a linear fashion, and it's very difficult to work with, since the code included inline in the page is insufficient to create a working program. Ultimately I just download the source code and try to figure it out on my own, if I have to resort to a Nehe tutorial.

So yeah, SDL is what you want for some 2D graphics. I'm not sure what a good tutorial is yet, since I have not currently found one that uses a method that both makes sense and ultimately results in an acceptable level of speed (what in God's name is that official "putpixel" function bullshit? It takes like an hour per pixel...)

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So yeah, SDL is what you want for some 2D graphics. I'm not sure what a good tutorial is yet, since I have not currently found one that uses a method that both makes sense and ultimately results in an acceptable level of speed (what in God's name is that official "putpixel" function bullshit? It takes like an hour per pixel...)

Filling in a screen pixel-by-pixel will always be slow, no matter what API you use. If you're concerned about performance, try using BlitSurface or FillRect. However, in this case I would really advise using OpenGL - SDL is software rendering only, and will always be significantly slower than a hardware accelerated library such as OpenGL.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That guy's stuff drives me up a wall. The "tutorials" are incredibly bogged down by all the WIN32 API code, and it's next to impossible to take anything away from them since they fail to adequately summarize, from a conceptual standpoint, what the hell they're doing so that I can rework the important bits into my own programs (which tend to be very different, architecturally, from Nehe's code).
    Here here.
    www.libsdl.org
    Start there, get it running, make an example skeleton project and go from there.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »

Filling in a screen pixel-by-pixel will always be slow, no matter what API you use. If you're concerned about performance, try using BlitSurface or FillRect. However, in this case I would really advise using OpenGL - SDL is software rendering only, and will always be significantly slower than a hardware accelerated library such as OpenGL.

I don't know that much about graphics in C++, but would it be faster to fill a buffer with what you want and then dump the entire buffer into whatever the library uses? Of course, I assume that a good library would have built-in stuff to do that anyway.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    jmillikin wrote: »

I don't know that much about graphics in C++, but would it be faster to fill a buffer with what you want and then dump the entire buffer into whatever the library uses? Of course, I assume that a good library would have built-in stuff to do that anyway.

That's basically what BlitSurface does. The idea is you load a sprite (or set individual pixels) in a buffer until it's the way you want, and then fast-copy it into parts of the screen as needed. This avoids the need to set pixels individually in the drawing buffer.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If he's looking for an introductory tutorial I doubt he cares to much about it being "slow".

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From my experiences in high school, slow graphics aren't terribly difficult to make. The hard part, and probably the part that he cares about, is learning how to not make them slow.

jothki on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That guy's stuff drives me up a wall. The "tutorials" are incredibly bogged down by all the WIN32 API code, and it's next to impossible to take anything away from them since they fail to adequately summarize, from a conceptual standpoint, what the hell they're doing so that I can rework the important bits into my own programs (which tend to be very different, architecturally, from Nehe's code). They just ponderously go through the hilights or something of the program in a linear fashion, and it's very difficult to work with, since the code included inline in the page is insufficient to create a working program. Ultimately I just download the source code and try to figure it out on my own, if I have to resort to a Nehe tutorial.

I agree his insistence on using WinAPI over GLUT or SDL is kind of irritating, but I never had any trouble understanding the important points of one of his tutorials (as long as I read the article, and not just the code). I suppose it varies from person to person.
    Philodox wrote:
    If he's looking for an introductory tutorial I doubt he cares to much about it being "slow".

If he's doing computer graphics, he's probably going to want to animate something after he understands how to draw things on the screen, and having a simple animation chug along at 2 frames per second is rather disappointing.

Clipse on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I agree his insistence on using WinAPI over GLUT or SDL is kind of irritating, but I never had any trouble understanding the important points of one of his tutorials (as long as I read the article, and not just the code). I suppose it varies from person to person.

It's a stylistic problem I have with a lot of tutorials. Instead of saying, "for this we need two GLuint's, the first for this, the second for that" they say "new items in this code: foo1, foo2 - storage for two textures" or something. I don't care about his goddamn code (which never works anyway, unless you download the completed version because the tutorial text invariably omits something important), I want to know exactly how the concept works so I can use it in my code. A lot of tutorials (including Nehe) rush through some frequently half-assed implementation, and leave me to do all kinds of tests and research to divine all the quirks of how the API actually functions and how a more useful, professional implementation might work.

And yes, I already use SDL with OpenGL for all my graphical programming efforts where I don't feel like dealing with something more complicated.

LoneIgadzra on