As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PWG puts on best show of the year, surprising no one [WRESTLING]

NiryaNirya Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Social Entropy++
mojo4th.jpg

WATCH BREAKING GROUND FEATURING MOJO RAWLEY RIGHT NOW!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
3DS: 2981-5304-3227
Nirya on

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    JASON JORDAN IS THE BEST

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Hey, now the option's still open for 2-time Rumble winner Roman Reigns, so the crowd can really shit on him.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    sheamus is a good wrestler and can be a great heel if given the chance.

WWEs insistence on booking MITB winners into oblivion before making them the champ is the primary thing that makes this suck

Sheamus is probably less over now than he's ever been on the main roster

Sheamus lost tonight but he's been booked to mostly win since getting the briefcase, at least that's how I remember it.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Meanwhile, inside Roman Reign's head...
    https://youtu.be/4fWyzwo1xg0

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The hate for Sheamus in this thread continues to baffle me.
    Goose! wrote:
    Sheamus is a good wrestler and this is fine.

Sheamus manages to somehow be blander than Cena, which is a hell of a goddamn feat to accomplish. Even his heel turn has been forgettable and boring. He's the worst choice as champion. May his reign be short and as unremarkable as everything else he's done.

Sheamus and Cena have consistently delivered good wrestling for years.

If the only pre-requisite was being a good wrestler, Lance Storm would be the biggest name there is.

• Options
    "Call me JJ"

I fucking love you Jason Jordan.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    Hooray for the new champion, look how happy he is.
    2iXjD8F.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2015
    411Randle wrote: »
    Hey, now the option's still open for 2-time Rumble winner Roman Reigns, so the crowd can really shit on him.

I don't know how anyone can think Brock isn't winning the Rumble. And that Roman isn't getting the title back at or before the Rumble.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    at this point I just want roman's gimmick to be "incredibly vulnerable to money in the bank briefcases"

• Options
    yo i did not need to see zz in straight up boxers

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    MikeLL wrote: »
    Hooray for the new champion, look how happy he is.
    tjG4jjX.png

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I don't know how anyone can think Brock isn't winning the Rumble. And that Roman isn't getting the title back at or before the Rumble.

Rampant pessimism, mostly.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Did ZZ just say he doesn't know how to tie a shoe?

• Options
    I know he was probably just doing a bit, but I really just want to believe Mojo walks around talking about himself in the third person.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    This has convinced me WWE should just film Mojo being hype about mundane things.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Probably. This show thinks ZZ is a lot more interesting than he actually is.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Rampant pessimism, mostly.

No way are they dragging the payoff of Roman getting his revenge as long as Bryan did. Roman vs Brock for the WWE WHT part 2 is the money match for Mania 32.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    "Yo whose insurance premiums have just been paid? MOJO'S INSURANCE PREMIUMS HAVE JUST BEEN PAID! WOO! GET OUT OF HERE SON!"

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    not sure why I thought they weren't going to have sheamus walk out of here with the title aside from hoping they wouldn't do it because he's boring, but

• Options
    this is doing the opposite of making me like mojo rawley

perhaps he's TOO hype..

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The one thing that didn't really track for me with the ending was Roman spearing HHH. Is the audience not supposed to think that Authority-HHH is petty enough to make Roman's life hell just for turning his back on him, what with springing Big Show on him for his first match for the same thing? Plus, it makes Roman out to be a bit of a dickhead. Maybe they're trying to make him seem like the hothead JBL says he is, or they're trying to recapture that Stone Cold magic again?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Sprout wrote: »

Probably. This show thinks ZZ is a lot more interesting than he actually is.

I'm actually convinced Breaking Ground is doing its best to bury ZZ by showing him to be an idiot.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options

perhaps he's TOO hype..

Then you have no sense of humor.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It'd be nice if Sheamus had a world title run that was

good

Seriously. Having that table win over Cena that got a complete nonreaction because everybody thought he botched, and then it went nowhere after the win; 18 Seconds; that time he won the belt and then seconds later ran away from the Nexus but no this time he's totally strong; and now cash-in after another bad MITB run including losses to Kalisto ("getting jiggy with it") and Ryback

I love Sheamus and want him to have a good looking title run for once. You'd think it'd be hard to fuck up 4 times

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    not sure why I thought they weren't going to have sheamus walk out of here with the title aside from hoping they wouldn't do it because he's boring, but

When he spent half the tag match getting clowned by Sin Cara, I had my doubts. But really, this was probably the best time to pull that trigger. This will keep him and Roman occupied until the Rumble, and they can finish that with a stare down between Roman and let's say, Chad Gable.

• Options

perhaps he's TOO hype..

Then you have no sense of humor.

said goose

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The hate for Sheamus in this thread continues to baffle me.
    Goose! wrote:
    Sheamus is a good wrestler and this is fine.

Sheamus manages to somehow be blander than Cena, which is a hell of a goddamn feat to accomplish. Even his heel turn has been forgettable and boring. He's the worst choice as champion. May his reign be short and as unremarkable as everything else he's done.

Sheamus and Cena have consistently delivered good wrestling for years.

If the only pre-requisite was being a good wrestler, Lance Storm would be the biggest name there is.

Lance Storm is criminally underrated and I would have fully supported a title run for him back in the day.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Nakamura's gonna be at the February ROH anniversary show in Vegas yay

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    The one thing that didn't really track for me with the ending was Roman spearing HHH. Is the audience not supposed to think that Authority-HHH is petty enough to make Roman's life hell just for turning his back on him, what with springing Big Show on him for his first match for the same thing? Plus, it makes Roman out to be a bit of a dickhead. Maybe they're trying to make him seem like the hothead JBL says he is, or they're trying to recapture that Stone Cold magic again?

I figured it was more of a "I saw what you did to Bryan so I'ma just spear you and avoid the whole Pedigree thing." Didn't work out, but that's what it seemed like to me.

• Options
    Sheamus should have never won the briefcase in the first place. It'd be nice if he had a solid title run but it's not in the cards.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So trying to resolve my feelings about the result, and I know a lot of people are upset but for me personally, this is about the most palatable way to resolve two storylines I had major issues with.

I've not made much of a secret in the thread that I've had issues with how WWE has handled Roman pretty much since the breakup of the SHIELD. And little of that has been about Roman himself - at the start, I did have the attitude of feeling he wasn't ready for it, but even then it was more that I was angry at the WWE for not letting him have time to grow for his sake.

These days, he's become a very good performer in the ring (still iffy on the mic, but I blame a lot of that on the writers anyway), but I still have the same big issue: that it's been made too obvious that he is the "chosen one", to the point of telegraphing how every feud he's involved in will end and negating any legitimate suspense. There was nothing organic about it.

Now, I know I'm not the only one from whom the WWE earned a lot of good will when they had a semi-swerve with Seth cashing in and disrupting the "obvious" plan of making Roman champion when neither he nor the audience was ready for it. And especially in the aftermath, keeping him away from the title picture really gave him time to develop as a character and performer, and it was good for him and the audience alike. It really made it seem like he had begun to earn the spot - both in a kayfabe and meta sense.

I think if things had progressed as planned - that Seth hadn't gotten injured, and (presumably) Roman had eventually won the title from him - it would have been acceptable. Especially if he hadn't simply won the first bout, and had to continue chasing Seth - again, 'earning' it.

So in a sense I think this tournament undermined a lot of the good will that had been built up, just because it again completely exposed how obvious it was the WWE intended for him to be champ. I don't even blame anyone for this, it was bad luck that couldn't be planned for, but I think that it brought up a lot of vague resentments from a lot of people about how tunnel-visioned the WWE was on making Roman the man, especially as guys like, say, Owens or Cesaro have continued to establish themselves as guys worthy of being at the top.

Sheamus as MITB I have less developed thoughts about (also I'm getting super tired) but we all know how unpopular a choice that was, and again, at least for me personally, it wasn't so much "why Sheamus?" as "why not these other several guys?". So there's been a lot of frustration about that, especially as his character has languished since winning it.

So in a vacuum, Sheamus cashing in and winning the title tonight may not be ideal - either in my own opinion, or that of a lot of people.

But, I think the way these two stories intersects does a lot to mitigate the frustrations of both of them. The cashing in actually carried a lot of import, and it offset some of the frustrations about Roman being "anointed" without "paying his dues" - whether that's a fair assessment or not.

But also, like, this incarnation of Roman as face champion would have had very little direction. I think - like Bryan, actually, although I think they gravely mishandled how they went about it with him - he's probably better as someone chasing the top, rather than staying up there. At least as a face, and when it became clear they had no intention of turning him, or even really giving him character development, I think this might be the best solution to a lot of these issues.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Can't read anything in the thread, just got home. Is the Network down or something? Nothing is loading for me.

Alright, kinda working. Any matches on the Kickoff?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I get why they have Sheamus as Romans foil right now

Like I understand the logic behind the booking

But as a fan and a viewer that was just the most boring, disappointing climax to this whole goddamn already boring tournament

Not only did the entire tourney proceed exactly as everyone guessed (with Kalisto being the only exception), the final match between Roman and Dean was like 10 minutes long and had a super anticlimactic, shitty finish and then Sheamus cashes in and while I can like Sheamus sometimes I absolutely do not like him as Champ, especially right now when they could have done so many other more interesting things with the title vacation

Like I'm not even mad I'm just bored

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    that last piece of falling confetti near Roman's face almost killed me

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Lance Storm is criminally underrated and I would have fully supported a title run for him back in the day.

Oh god don't remind me. I'm so sad he never got his due.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Basically anyone who buys into the "Lance Storm is boring" narrative that used to be pushed back in the day is not alright with me.

Lance Storm fucking ruled.

• Options
    Basically anyone who buys into the "Lance Storm is boring" narrative that used to be pushed back in the day is not alright with me.

Lance Storm fucking ruled.

We have his Zoolander avatar now, let's be thankful.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I get why they have Sheamus as Romans foil right now

Like I understand the logic behind the booking

But as a fan and a viewer that was just the most boring, disappointing climax to this whole goddamn already boring tournament

Not only did the entire tourney proceed exactly as everyone guessed (with Kalisto being the only exception), the final match between Roman and Dean was like 10 minutes long and had a super anticlimactic, shitty finish and then Sheamus cashes in and while I can like Sheamus sometimes I absolutely do not like him as Champ, especially right now when they could have done so many other more interesting things with the title vacation

Like I'm not even mad I'm just bored

it was 7:36 and i went to go get my laundry out of the dryer and i came back and there was infinite confetti

and then sheamus

and i'm so B O R E D

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I really
    Really
    Really
    Should not have agreed to do a drinking game with the PPV when I only had whiskey in my house.

My guts are deeply unhappy with me right now.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.