As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Media Creation or how I learned to edit video and cast a pod

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    anyone do any animation? I've only ever skimmed the surface of it but it's a lot of fun, even if it's incredibly time consuming

My wife has a degree in animation specializing in stop motion!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    For noise reduction basically you want to find a spot on the track where there's just noise you want gone(fans, white noise, clicking, etc) but no actual talking or other noise you want. Then highlight it and take a noise profile of it. Then select the whole track and run the noise remover.

This can get tricky if the noise you are trying to remove is quite loud on the track, because you don't want the removal to mess with the stuff you actually want there. If you are finding your mic is picking up a LOT of unwanted noise, try turning your gain down when recording. Try to get the background noise to be as quiet as possible so the removal tool can get rid of it without fucking with anything that matters.
    Yeah I've used the noise profile/reduce feature, but I've noticed that every time I've clicked on Get a Noise Profile, the number values already in there don't change at all. Dunno if I'm doing anything wrong there, since the noise reduction still (mostly) works.

I also have to crank the gain way up (like 90%) just to get the XLR mic levels to a normal level. I don't know if that's normal, or if my mixer isn't putting out enough power. Should I try and put the gain lower so I don't get as much noise, and then boost the levels later? Right now after editing we run the audio through Levelator, then noise reduce if we need to, attach intro/outros and then post.

The numbers dont change automatically. You have to put in the decibel range you want cut out

I need to try levelator

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    aside from basic 3-4 frame sprite animations the only real animation project i've done is the opening of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwC17HU5iw

which, every time i revisit it i'm more and more displeased with the editing job i did on the rest of it

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    For noise reduction basically you want to find a spot on the track where there's just noise you want gone(fans, white noise, clicking, etc) but no actual talking or other noise you want. Then highlight it and take a noise profile of it. Then select the whole track and run the noise remover.

This can get tricky if the noise you are trying to remove is quite loud on the track, because you don't want the removal to mess with the stuff you actually want there. If you are finding your mic is picking up a LOT of unwanted noise, try turning your gain down when recording. Try to get the background noise to be as quiet as possible so the removal tool can get rid of it without fucking with anything that matters.
    Yeah I've used the noise profile/reduce feature, but I've noticed that every time I've clicked on Get a Noise Profile, the number values already in there don't change at all. Dunno if I'm doing anything wrong there, since the noise reduction still (mostly) works.

I also have to crank the gain way up (like 90%) just to get the XLR mic levels to a normal level. I don't know if that's normal, or if my mixer isn't putting out enough power. Should I try and put the gain lower so I don't get as much noise, and then boost the levels later? Right now after editing we run the audio through Levelator, then noise reduce if we need to, attach intro/outros and then post.

The numbers dont change automatically. You have to put in the decibel range you want cut out

I need to try levelator
    wait, then what does getting a noise profile do?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I have probably 100 hours in Premiere Pro and combined, somewhere around 12,000 hours in Adobe Creative Suite

and After Effects is like a fucking alien language to me.

While technically allowed, some thought that Dr Who was abusing the spirit of the 30 day free trial.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    anyone do any animation? I've only ever skimmed the surface of it but it's a lot of fun, even if it's incredibly time consuming

I've done some very simple animation in After Effects

After Effects is not designed for animation but hey it worked well enough

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I guess the main thing is: if you turn the gain down, can you still hear your voice clearly and properly? If yes, then keep it down and just make the volume higher in post.

I would say try to find the sweet spot where your mic gain is as low as possible while still picking up what you want it to pick up clearly.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options

I need to try levelator
    wait, then what does getting a noise profile do?

... Y'know I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm wrong?

You should select a section with lots of speech, then one with none, and see if you can figure out what the difference is

I just know I have to set the db number manually every time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I've never set anything manually with noise removal.

• Options
    Weird

Maybe I'm doing my selection wrong?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Get Noise Profile basically tells it what wave pattern to look for and then remove anything in the recording that matches it.

The settings at the bottom have nothing to do with the noise profile itself.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Also, I'll do a write up detailing the difference between Libsyn and ShoutEngine when I get back home. I've got a lot of experience with the former and basic knowledge of the latter.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Get Noise Profile basically tells it what wave pattern to look for and then remove anything in the recording that matches it.

The settings at the bottom have nothing to do with the noise profile itself.

Ok so I wasn't crazy

Yeah the settings at the bottom just tell it how far away from what you grabbed it should be looking

• Options
    Hey does anyone know what that burning, bubbly effect is called that seems to be tied into photo production? It shows up in Life is Strange
    when you start time travelling to photos within photos

And I need to be able to recreate it for this video

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    not exactly

like this (LiS spoilers)

agh it's not timestamping properly

24:11

https://youtu.be/FWxOaZsmq7o?t=24m11s

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I mean that is film burn

it's meant to represent celluloid burning when a film projector gets too hot.

It might be hard to recreate that exact effect unless you're exceptionally skilled in aftereffects, though.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Hey does anyone know what that burning, bubbly effect is called that seems to be tied into photo production? It shows up in Life is Strange
    when you start time travelling to photos within photos

And I need to be able to recreate it for this video

can you gimme a sample? a few screenshots maybe?
    gb0c096crnlb.jpg
    this stuff

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I mean that is film burn

it's meant to represent celluloid burning when a film projector gets too hot.

It might be hard to recreate that exact effect unless you're exceptionally skilled in aftereffects, though.

actually a couple of frames of it is all I needed, so just knowing the name is perfect since I can youtube it

Thanks!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    33h8pq3wf9yc.gif

Perfect

• Options
    @David_T

Okay, so, you've got your podcast recorded and edited, but now you have to figure out where the hell to put it. Unless you have your own webspace to upload episodes to (like T4CT has set up for the various Viking Rocketship podcasts), your two primary options are probably going to be ShoutEngine and Libsyn. Which one you choose depends on what's important to you.

ShoutEngine starts out free, so that's definitely nice to have when starting your first podcast. There are also no storage or upload limits, so you could be putting up 500 MB episodes every day and they wouldn't care (please do not actually do this, though). The primary limitation is on bandwidth, which is typically not an issue for a podcast that's been around for less than a year or two. A high-quality, long-form podcast (i.e. two hours) would be around 100 MB, so at 10GB a month that's 100 downloads per month. The upgraded tiers are pretty cheap, too, unless you get a LOT of downloads. They've also got all the typical blog integration, analytics, XML creation, and other utilities that any podcast hosting service worth a damn will have.

Okay, so what about Libsyn? There's no free options, so it's gonna be more expensive when starting your podcast. Unlike ShoutEngine, though, Libsyn's monthly fee is based on upload bandwidth, not download. So if, like the example podcast I mentioned previously, your episodes consistently average out to 100MB, you'd never need to pay more than the tier that gets you 400 MB of monthly storage. You could have 10 or 10,000 listeners and it won't matter to Libsyn, which means the prices actually end up being better than ShoutEngine's for podcasts that have gathered a large listener base. Also, Libsyn was one of the very first dedicated podcast hosts, which means it's had a whole lot of time to add some nice bells and whistles to its service. Aside from the standard stuff, it has options for automatically publishing content to social media like Tumblr, Facebook or Soundcloud; options for publishing bonus content along with the episode; built-in monetization options through ads or subscriptions; and extensive WordPress integration. So yeah, Libsyn might not be the best place to start your podcasting career, but it's a great place to migrate to once you've started getting an audience and/or want more publishing tools to work with.

There is one piece of advice I have that applies to every podcast host, though, and it's VERY IMPORTANT: when it comes time to give iTunes a link to your XML feed, DO NOT use the "raw" URL that your host of choice gives you. Instead, go to Feedburner, stick the raw URL in there, and then give the Feedburner URL to iTunes. Why go through this extra step? Well, aside from the handy tools and analytics Google provides for free, the primary reason is to give yourself flexibility. For example, let's say you start by hosting on ShoutEngine, but then your podcast gets big and you decide to migrate over to Libsyn. If you had given iTunes the ShoutEngine XML feed, you'd have to go through the rigmarole of submitting a new XML feed to iTunes; and you'd have to inform anyone who's subscribed to your podcast directly through the XML feed that they'll need to jump over to a new XML feed. But if you have that Feedburner wrapper over your feed, you can just give Feedburner the new XML URL and your subscribers won't miss a beat. So please, do yourself a favor and use Feedburner!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I'm confused about shoutengines free tier

We get way more than 100 downloads a month and have never been charged, and they're about that big

• Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    not exactly

like this (LiS spoilers)

agh it's not timestamping properly

24:11

https://youtu.be/FWxOaZsmq7o?t=24m11s

I've done a similar effect. It's more of an acid type look.

In this video that I made at 1:48 seconds you'll see something like that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGIrsUA7BF8

Best way to recreate it is to overlay multiple slow moving animations (of smoke or ink in water) and use an opacity filter that alters the bottom layer video.

• Options
    I'm really glad this thread was made.

It's awesome to have a place to talk shop with others here.

• Options
    I'm really glad this thread was made.

It's awesome to have a place to talk shop with others here.

I've got a video you folks might enjoy. This is me editing an episode of my YouTube series. I edit pretty much the whole episode and walk through everything I do. If you're not familiar with Adobe Premiere you might see some cool tips and tricks out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p-t5Xxr7h4

• Options
    I'm confused about shoutengines free tier

We get way more than 100 downloads a month and have never been charged, and they're about that big

I mean, the free tier says a 10GB bandwidth limit, so I dunno. It might mean 10GB per file per month.

I've only used ShoutEngine for archiving Anime Is For Jurps.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I got about a minute or so of my video done earlier today albeit without too much audio balancing/tweaking

Spent the first 4 hours of my shift tonight going through dozens of matches and promos and writing down timestamps of footage I might want to use

I forgot how much I dig this stuff!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular

My wife has a degree in animation specializing in stop motion!

I am interested in it! It seems kinda tough to break into for a casual though.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Updated the op with some of that sweet, sweet podcasting advice.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about trying to record a youtube show about vegetarian/vegan cooking. It would have sections on specific techniques, ingredient spotlights and complete recipies, all with a focus on quick, practical cooking with no special equipment or preparation needed. I'd like it to generally be less about how to create this one, particular dish and more about explaining why and how the different cooking methods and ingredients work, and alternative ways they could be used.

I don't really want to half-ass it though, and so far I don't really have the apartment or equipment to even get started. Getting a decent mic and some basic lighting equipment seem like the most important bits, but I'm not sure the image quality of my old iPhone 4 would cut it for video either.

• Options
    There are work-arounds. If you can get your hands on a camera that you can white-balance, then lights become less of an issue because you can always get a cheap worklamp, bounce it off some styrofoam and then adjust for the color in-camera. You can get a lavalier mic with a smartphone adapter for around $20 that you can clip onto your shirt and plug into your iPhone for decent quality audio. Pop the iPhone in a back pocket, sync it up with the video later.

Second-hand is a good way of getting gear on the cheap, auctions can be as well. Borrowing from friends or family who have stuff lying around that they're not using... that DSLR camera that only gets taken on vacations but also does HD video.

Apartment, that's tougher. I had a plan for a hand puppet cooking show (one hand puppet and one human assistent to do the actual cooking), but we could never find a kitchen that was big enough to make sense. Though again, you might be able to borrow a kitchen in exchange for delicious food at the end of the shoot.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    There are work-arounds. If you can get your hands on a camera that you can white-balance, then lights become less of an issue because you can always get a cheap worklamp, bounce it off some styrofoam and then adjust for the color in-camera. You can get a lavalier mic with a smartphone adapter for around $20 that you can clip onto your shirt and plug into your iPhone for decent quality audio. Pop the iPhone in a back pocket, sync it up with the video later.

Second-hand is a good way of getting gear on the cheap, auctions can be as well. Borrowing from friends or family who have stuff lying around that they're not using... that DSLR camera that only gets taken on vacations but also does HD video.

Apartment, that's tougher. I had a plan for a hand puppet cooking show (one hand puppet and one human assistent to do the actual cooking), but we could never find a kitchen that was big enough to make sense. Though again, you might be able to borrow a kitchen in exchange for delicious food at the end of the shoot.

That's incredibly helpful, thanks!

• Options
    If you're interested in media production, I would strongly recommend giving this discussion a listen regardless of your stance on Game Grumps
    https://youtu.be/Jca8apuvKOA
    Watching sped-up video of one of the dudes animating is icing on the cake

• Options
    I am real tempted to get that Sony Vegas thing since it's in the Steam sale.

I should probably get out of using Windows Media Maker at some point.

• Options
    I'd probably advise holding off. I've seen Vegas hit 50% off and I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it hits that again in the Christmas sale (in fact, it might already be cheaper at this link: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/homestudio ? Checking US prices while in Europe is always tricky for me, sorry.)

In the meantime, you can always check out free alternatives like DaVinci Resolve or, since you're only outputting to 720p anyway, Lightworks (720p is one of the limitations of the free version).

Lightworks Quick Start guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lG0vLQCF7k

Resolve basics crash course
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikf0VGJYTc

I've probably banged the drum enough for Resolve at this point, but I really do like working in it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    We don't limit things to 720, I just only bother with 1080 for games I feel benefit enough from it.

Also I'm Canadian so those Sony prices in the link are pretty bad for me.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I've used tons of video editing software. From all my experience, Adobe Premiere has lately been my top choice. You've got tons of creative flexibility combined with a very reliable backend. Like anything I've used, you'll get crashes once in a while but I have not had a crash in a long time.

One of the largest videos I've ever edited for YouTube was about 38 minutes. I used Photoshop for virtually all the graphics, and utilized Premiere for everything else. This include audio effects and editing, special effects, colour correction, image stabilization, crops, and zooms. I also used mixed video file formats, frame rates, and resolutions like 4K video that was shot with drones. The software was crazy responsive during all of this. Not a single frame saw any work in anything outside of Premiere.

This is the end result:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qiRCU0SCTs

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the recent xbox addition of streaming to Windows 10 for capturing footage? Ideally when I'm all set up I'd like the console in one room for when I just want to play in a comfortable setting, but to also be able to play and capture at a PC in a different (but not too distant) room.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I've never done that, but it seems like a cool idea. I wonder if the lower quality nature of a stream would result in a bad capture though?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Could do, not sure how much of a hit it takes in that regard.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png