As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Auto LED Install: How Effed did I Eff Myself?

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I decided to install LEDs to my interior lights (dome, map) in my 2015 Elantra. In a great move, I tried to install the dome with the car running and apparently blew the fuse. The C clips were very tight and had to bend them a little to install. I think the LED board was slightly off center.

This morning I replaced the fuse with a spare from the fusebox and lights came back on.

Should I be worried, or is it fine? Also are the fuses from AutoZone or whatever fine?

MichaelLC on

• Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    Changing a component with power in the circuit caused a surge that blew your fuse. If it works fine now then all is well, it's when fuses keep blowing up that you need to look deeper. The classic mistake is a fuse blows up over and over so people replace them with a paper clip or whatever, the circuit is trying to tell you something is wrong, fuses are a safety measure! :P

As long as the store bought fuse is rated at the same amperage and voltage as the one you replaced, then they are fine.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was worried about it all night. I'm sure there was nothing wrong but pised at myself for trying to rush it and do it with engine running.

LEDs look great, so at least worth it if car doesn't catch fire. Next need to install trunk and plate lights.

• Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Understandable. I'm not a mechanic or anything but I am an electronics tech. Most companies that make electronic replacements for motor vehicle stuff typically include instructions with step one being. "Turn off the vehicle and disconnect the terminals of the battery starting with the negative". It's more of a way for them to cover themselves and isn't always necessary to remove the battery, but turning the car off and removing the keys is the best way to save money on fuses :P

Pics or it didn't happen!

Forgot to add: it's actually pretty hard to permanently damage the electrical stuff on new cars. The circuits are stringently tested to accept surges and the safety measures like fuses are pretty solid in the new stuffs. You'd have to cross circuits from hi voltage / amps to low voltage and bypass fuses to really hurt it. So as long as you work on one thing at a time you'll be fine.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, it's like you installed a sun in the roof.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yeah that's the one that almost (not really) burned my car up, and I've got the two map lights in as well.

There is one brighter one, but it's wire-in. These are all shaped like the OEM bulbs but with four LEDs stuck to a board in the middle, which is what caused me the trouble.

• Options
    Holy moly, that is so..... cleeeeeaaaaaan
    My vehicles are all mobile trash cans held together by duct tape and love! All the more reason to trust my technical mumbo-jumbo lol