As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shooting at [San Bernardino] social services building (READ OP)

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's breaking so there's a lot of conflicting information, but here's the rundown: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/us/san-bernardino-shooting/

THERE WILL BE NO CONVERSATION OF GUN CONTROL, POLITICAL CANDIDATES, OR ANY OTHER OFF-TOPIC SUBJECT IN THIS THREAD UNLESS IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE SUBJECT.

Example: "We need gun control look at all the deaths!" - Bad
Example: "California is passing regulation due to the shooting." - Good but don't dwell on it.
Example: "Donald Trump/Obama/Bernie Sanders/Sarah Palin's horrible political *thing* caused this." - Bad
Example "Donald Trump/Obama/Bernie Sanders/Sarah Palin's horrible opinion on this." - Fine, but again, do not dwell on it.

PLEASE KEEP THIS AS ON-TOPIC AS POSSIBLE. WHILE THE ABOVE EXAMPLES SHOW SOME THINGS THAT COULD FLY, TRY TO LIMIT DISCUSSIONS ON SAID TOPICS, EVEN IF IT IS DIRECTLY RELATED, BECAUSE THEY TEND TO DEVOLVE INTO BAD PLACES.

MODERATORS HAVE ALREADY LET IT BE KNOWN THAT FUCKERY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

jungleroomx on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Yes, we are above 1 mass shooting a day.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Where is the jesus america response button?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    is this the first one of these where there's a news note along the lines of "no, the shooting occurring at the mall right now is not related"

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Given that this shooting is about armed, masked gunmen specifically targeting county government officials attending a public function at a local disability clinic this is going to get a lot more news than most.

• Options
    kaleedity wrote: »
    is this the first one of these where there's a news note along the lines of "no, the shooting occurring at the mall right now is not related"

Apparently so - there's an unrelated incident in Pasadena necessitating SWAT response as well.

As for that button, @Preacher, not even Jesus can help us now.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    Given that this shooting is about armed, masked gunmen specifically targeting county government officials attending a public function at a local disability clinic this is going to get a lot more news than most.

Still not convinced they'll get called "terrorists" though.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Remember - there is no such thing as right wing terrorism in the US.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Redditt reported one of the suspects looked middle eastern. Now this is reddit and previously they had been called white, but if any of them are browner than vanilla ice it'll be called terrorism from the highest mountain tops.

Apparently the shooting was not related to the social services area, but some county related gathering was the one that got shot up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

'Lovely Day' as actually used in the film comes closest.

Shooter(s) targeted a Christmas party. That'll feed certain media vultures for days.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Good thing all those states chose not to provide asylum to refugees.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    Good thing all those states chose to prohibit refugees from crossing their borders.

Well we don't know who these shooters were, they could have been refugees. You don't know man!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    We can't let this distract from how we need tougher vetting for the refugees, though.

They're the real threat.

• Options
    14 dead.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yes, lets use this tragedy as yet another reason rage at Republicans and Conservatives in this country.

Come on guys.

Even with the little information we have on this can we not turn this into a lolrepublicans circle jerk?

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Shooter(s) targeted a Christmas party. That'll feed certain media vultures for days.

I thought it was targeted at a social services center, specifically one meant for disabilities?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    14 dead.

Holy shit. That's another Aurora.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Yes, lets use this tragedy as yet another reason rage at Republicans and Conservatives in this country.

Come on guys.

Even with the little information we have on this can we not turn this into a lolrepublicans circle jerk?

10: Too early to talk about gun control.
    20: goto 10.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I thought it was targeted at a social services center, specifically one meant for disabilities?

Several places state it was targeting a conference room that was rented out.

• Options

Same building as one, but apparently the area that the shooting occured at was a rented room for a county function. Just happened to be at the same place as a social services center. There was also a PP clinic nearby.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    14 dead.

Come on guys.

Bernie and Hillary already tweeted out gun control tweets.

• Options
    Police chief would not say external terrorists, but definitely said domestic terrorists. Apparently the camo thing is not entirely true, but the suspects are at large.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Come on guys.

Why not? Does it make that much of a difference? People have to vent outrage somehow, whatever, let em.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The shootings were in the conference center at the Inland Regional Center, the center's executive director, Lavinia Johnson, told CNN. She believes the county's Department of Public Health was having a holiday party there. Johnson said the fire alarm went off in her building, and people began to evacuate but then the order came to stay in place. Later police came and took people out of their offices.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/us/san-bernardino-shooting/

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, I'm putting a moratorium on politically oriented arguments and speculation in here for now. We can have another gun control debate some other day.

This thread is for talking about the actual shooting. Discussing potential motives for the gunmen is as political as we're going to get in here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    14 dead.

Come on guys.

Then talk about gun control. nvm, just saw El Jeffe's post That can be done without turning it into a circle jerk against the opposition.

Speaking of:

Are the shooters still out there?! I can't find anywhere that says there is any lead on the 3 shooters. That is horrifying.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Edit: Just saw your post, Jeffe.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hopefully the police are withholding information in order to catch the suspects, but as of right now there's no indication that the police have any major leads.

• Options
    Shooters are still out there. There also was an unrelated incident in pasadena that warranted a swat response? But I believe it was unconnected.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Paladin wrote: »

Come on guys.

Why not? Does it make that much of a difference? People have to vent outrage somehow, whatever, let em.

When republicans use tragedies to "score political points" its despicable.

We should hold ourselves to similar standards.

edit: sorry, just saw ElJeffe's post

ObiFett on
  • Options

Come on guys.

Why shouldn't we be angry at the people who have helped make mass shootings, on average, a daily occurrence?

By all accounts, so far, this was not a usual shooting. Black Suburban, masked, multiple shooters was the early reporting.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If it's targeting a holiday party, it's likely an insider rather than a random nut. Disgruntled office worker maybe. If it's a social worker party, maybe a patient who got a raw deal.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Not getting as much coverage for obvious reasons, but there's also one dead outside a women's health clinic in Houston, TX.

• Options
    If it's targeting a holiday party, it's likely an insider rather than a random nut. Disgruntled office worker maybe. If it's a social worker party, maybe a patient who got a raw deal.

There were three shooters.

I'm thinking its more than that.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Come on guys.

Why shouldn't we be angry at the people who have helped make mass shootings, on average, a daily occurrence?

By all accounts, so far, this was not a usual shooting. Black Suburban, masked, multiple shooters was the early reporting.

Masked is not confirmed, nor is the camo or body armor being reported. Police rep said that, lot of witnesses hard to discern fact from fiction.

Bomb squad was called in to investigate suspicious objects, but not confirmed if the shooters brought them or they were already there and the police are being cautious.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's three people at minimum, which puts it squarely in the "planned mass murder" territory. I doubt it's a patient who got a raw deal.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    it's a lone wolf...pack

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Reporting I've seen has stated "from one to three shooters", though if that's been updated with more recent info, I would be interested (and presumably horrified) to read it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Marybeth Feild, president of the center's board of trustees, said she heard from staffers that the gunfire erupted in a conference center.

"That's where the shooting took place," she told NBC News. "I was going to a meeting today, but I wasn't there myself."

Feild said a group of some kind was holding a meeting in conference area "and that's where we're hearing the shooting went into."

"We often let other groups rent out the space," she added. "I'm not sure who was renting it out today, but I believe it was a healthcare event."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-respond-report-shooting-san-bernardino-california-n472976

Different source also saying it was a healthcare unit. Planned parenthood would qualify as healthcare, I'd think.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

3 shooters can cause a ton of damage really quick.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Marybeth Feild, president of the center's board of trustees, said she heard from staffers that the gunfire erupted in a conference center.

"That's where the shooting took place," she told NBC News. "I was going to a meeting today, but I wasn't there myself."

Feild said a group of some kind was holding a meeting in conference area "and that's where we're hearing the shooting went into."

"We often let other groups rent out the space," she added. "I'm not sure who was renting it out today, but I believe it was a healthcare event."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-respond-report-shooting-san-bernardino-california-n472976

Different source also saying it was a healthcare unit. Planned parenthood would qualify as healthcare, I'd think.

Planned Parenthood have already spoken up and said they are fine and were not targeted in this attack.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

“[The shooters] came prepared to do what they did, as if they were on a mission,” San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan says.

Police are suspecting targeted killing. So not likely to be random.

pleasepaypreacher.net