As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

1424344454648»

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Welp indeed! (Though I've wanted an underground WoW xpac for years, so not too disappointed.)

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I hear Phil Spencer mentioned Starcraft at least? Haven't caught the vods yet.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I definitely get the feeling that Microsoft has plans for StarCraft. Who knows if that means another RTS, improved maintenance on their existing titles, or expanding the IP into a different genre ( which is something I expect sooner or later).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The likelihood of a surprise announcement was always low, blizzard only has so many departments and teams and they’re already working on known or released projects.

• Options
    But the starcraft IP and universe they've built is not something you just throw away.

From a branding lifecycle perspective there is a lot there that's been built. It'd be really really dumb to just let that die out.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Diablo IV was something that existed secretly even as people were flipping their phones at the Immortal announcement. Things can happen in the background for years before anything is announced. I wouldn't assume that everything in development is spoken for.

• Options
    Yeah same with Hearthstone. That came out of completely left field almost 10 years ago.

I was at PAX East where it was announced.

So! No reason that something SC might not get revealed outside of Blizzcon.

We'll just have to go back to the mines for now.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Sc2 was in development, unannounced,for years too

I just have no idea who does what, where at Blizzard. Back in the day, you had your Blizzard North and your RTS crew. Things were simple, damnit!

I could totally go for a new Warcraft RTS as well

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I could totally see them playing around and trying something strategy-adjacent for StarCraft. Feels like if they did just another RTS people would just keep playing 1 instead, unless it was drastically different mechanically.

I mean, I’d be down for something like a squad-based XCOM game set in the SC universe.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’d be down for squad based tactics games from a lot of IPs. Gears Tactics showed it can be done.

StarCraft lends itself well because there’s already covert fighting going on.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm actually surprised they never tried making a Worlds of Starcraft game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

Oof.... right in the capitalism

AKA
    086r1vodhl5a.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised they never tried making a Worlds of Starcraft game.

That would just be competing with yourself.

• Options
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Stormgate's Kickstarter got funded in one day. Hopefully that's a promising start for a sweet reboot of the RTS genre.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Looking at the kickstarter, it's not for the game (which is already funded), but for a collectors edition of the game. Not terribly impressed you have to scroll 75% of the way down the page to learn that info.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Stormgate's Kickstarter got funded in one day. Hopefully that's a promising start for a sweet reboot of the RTS genre.

Oh is that this? Neat!
    yjwd0n3oowao.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How much do we know about that game yet? What distinguishes it?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Lots of info on the kickstarter page
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stormgate/stormgate

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

A cursory glance tells me "prettier Starcraft", plus rollback netcode (a BIG improvement) as well as a tuned compstomp mode. But they don't seem to be advertising much unique, which is probably fine in a world without SC3.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Stormgate campaign is supposed to build relevant skills for competitive, thereby making the game more accessible. Time will tell.

I’m just geeked to watch Tastosis casting live and in-person!

EDIT: them being in-person. I’ll obviously be at home on the internet like a normal person.

enc0re on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Looking at the kickstarter, it's not for the game (which is already funded), but for a collectors edition of the game. Not terribly impressed you have to scroll 75% of the way down the page to learn that info.

Well the game is supposed to be free to play, so most of the stuff is just extra heroes I'm guessing for co-op and then campaigns.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Well the game is supposed to be free to play, so most of the stuff is just extra heroes I'm guessing for co-op and then campaigns.

What I meant is that if you just took a quick glance at the kickstarter, you'd probably think it was for funding the game and not for a collectors edition for an already funded game.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So after watching the BW GamesDoneQuick run I decided to get back to playing the original. I finished it when I was younger so I figured it wouldn't be too bad now.

I am seriously getting my ass handed to me right now. I know I'm not exactly good at Star Craft. I love the game but I am awful at it... But man the AI stops every advancement I do and then churns out replacement units before I can get back on my feet. I'm a filthy casual player though so that may be it lol. I usually like to have around 1000 minerals to make me feel good about things... I remember in high school my friend laughing at me for having so many. But he was more of a pro player than I was.

In the campaign are vultures worth the money? I guess they are early on because they're 75 minerals. I guess my main question is: Help a noob out. I don't think I can hotkey all my things and tap through like I see the pros do but I also feel like every map shouldn't take me more than 45 minutes (the previous one took me over an hour) and I had to cheat on the one where I had to protect Mengsk because I took too long to reach him and I wasn't about to waste 30+ minutes of my life lol.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As with most Terran units, Vultures are amazing if you micro them properly. The old "1A" joke has some truth behind it, because Terran falls in that middle ground of their units being not cheap, but not strong. If you don't take care of them, you'll fall behind and be doomed.

No vs AI, you can get away with a lot due to it being dumb. Bunkers with Tank/Turret support can get you through a lot of missions. If you don't mind a slower, grindier playstyle, you can Bunker hop into the enemy and overwhelm them.

Although it has been a long time since I played BW, I'm pretty sure most missions had a hook or unit you were meant to build around. If you're struggling, try looking up what that unit/strat is online.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So after watching the BW GamesDoneQuick run I decided to get back to playing the original. I finished it when I was younger so I figured it wouldn't be too bad now.

I am seriously getting my ass handed to me right now. I know I'm not exactly good at Star Craft. I love the game but I am awful at it... But man the AI stops every advancement I do and then churns out replacement units before I can get back on my feet. I'm a filthy casual player though so that may be it lol. I usually like to have around 1000 minerals to make me feel good about things... I remember in high school my friend laughing at me for having so many. But he was more of a pro player than I was.

In the campaign are vultures worth the money? I guess they are early on because they're 75 minerals. I guess my main question is: Help a noob out. I don't think I can hotkey all my things and tap through like I see the pros do but I also feel like every map shouldn't take me more than 45 minutes (the previous one took me over an hour) and I had to cheat on the one where I had to protect Mengsk because I took too long to reach him and I wasn't about to waste 30+ minutes of my life lol.

Don’t bank minerals. Always be building units, and when your structures are a bottleneck such that you bank enough minerals/gas to afford another production structure while always building from the ones you have, put down a new one and add it to the queue. That thousand minerals could be 13 Vultures, or if you’re low on Vespene, 20 Marines. Even if we assume that you’re as bad at macro as I am, you could effectively have half that ready on the firing line. So, look back at a fight where the AI ground you to a halt and ask, “would I have punched through here if I’d had seven more Vultures or ten more Marines in this fight from the start?” Probably you would.

Mine as much as you can, build as much as you can, don’t bank resources, and the AI will shit itself in fear when you come around before too long.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Yeah that's a mental block I need to overcome. A lot of my concern is that if I have the resources then in a pinch I can build up a defense if I didn't cover a side well enough.

• Options
    If I spend all my minerals and they wipe my army then suddenly I'm screwed if they follow it up.

Extra hard in SC1 to manage a large army too. So that's part of it haha.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a mental block I need to overcome. A lot of my concern is that if I have the resources then in a pinch I can build up a defense if I didn't cover a side well enough.

I completely understand that thinking but it’s a trap because units take time to complete and time to rally. The way to shore up a hole or stop a flank is to have the units already, if you’re hitting ‘MMMMMMM’ on your barracks after the shooting starts those seven Marines are going to be all alone by the time they pop out.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »

I completely understand that thinking but it’s a trap because units take time to complete and time to rally. The way to shore up a hole or stop a flank is to have the units already, if you’re hitting ‘MMMMMMM’ on your barracks after the shooting starts those seven Marines are going to be all alone by the time they pop out.

This....is a good point.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If I spend all my minerals and they wipe my army then suddenly I'm screwed if they follow it up.

Extra hard in SC1 to manage a large army too. So that's part of it haha.

minerals don't shoot back - you're more likely to have that army lost if it's 10 marines smaller than it could have been because you've got a bank account rolling

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As strong as vultures can be kiting melee units you will get more bang out of your buck by focusing on production and economy than microing a dozen units. Think of them as paying 75 minerals for three spider mines and getting a free vulture.

The computer highly prioritizes defending structures so attacking errant buildings not necessarily part of a base tends to get reinforcement waves that only stop when buildings are gone. This reinforcing can use pre-placed units from later fortresses in the map. Not uncommon to hit the final Terran mission with the Ion Cannon and find yourself crushing barely any defenders around the cannon, because they diverted them all when you attacked their base earlier in the mission.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    starcraft is an economic production game in disguise as a strategy game

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I went through both the original campaigns and brood war a few years ago and actually found it pretty easy (compared to when I attempted them when the games were new). Pretty much every mission you can easily outmass the computer and just walk over them (once you get your economy going). Try this strategy, never stop building workers. Build workers the entire mission. Even if you have 30, 40, 50, etc. workers on minerals (gas has an efficiency cap at 3), never stop building them. You'll have an obscene amount of money. Then build a bunch of unit producing buildings. Don't stop at 2 or 3, get like 8-10. You'll easily crush the computer.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    starcraft is an economic production game in disguise as a strategy game

Cooking mama, in space!

Also, you want a ton of workers. There's a technical limit where their income per capita drops due to diminishing returns, but you don't worry about that yet.

I'd say have like 20-25 per line and you'll see so much money come in.

But yes, it's a lot about income over time, production over time, and tech trees.

TLDR: The bigger ball wins the fight. 'Strategy' and mechanical ability only come in at the higher tiers.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    l4lGvOw.png

wra