As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PODCAST THREAD has sinned against both Man and God.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I learned everything I know about being a functional human being from cartoons, so I have a closet full of exact duplicates of the one and only outfit I wear.

Green Sweatervest?

Low blow, McChilla. Low blow.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I mean, yeah, Doug's probably the closest analog to adolescent me, but still...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

this is the one i've seen people going 'cmon' at

I mean it would if it was perfectly spherical

I dunno I don't mind thought experiment stuff like this

Its not like he is saying 'and therefore the movie is dumb'

But I also like thinking about that kind of stuff, it doesn't really affect the quality of the movie for me

Neil agrees with you on this front too.

https://thedissolve.com/features/interview/604-neil-degrasse-tyson-doesnt-hate-the-movies/

Though if you don't want to read the whole article a relevant quote is:

The Dissolve: In Star Wars, sound travels in a vacuum.

Tyson: Which is fine! I don’t put out a list of critiques on Star Wars because you can hear the ships in space, or that Han Solo explains how fast he can make a run on the Millennium Falcon in parsecs, which is a unit of distance. It’s fine, it can be what it wants. But if you’re going to try to make it right, I’m going to be right there with you.

The Dissolve: Well, it is a galaxy far, far away. Maybe the laws of physics are different there.

Tyson: Sure! Nobody likes the movie less for that. People think that when I offer a comment, I don’t like the movie.

• Options
    He has a point that Internet culture in particular seems to really struggle with the idea that you can criticize something you like. We're so used to extremes where you unconditionally praise the things you like and unrepentantly shit on things you don't, that nuanced discussion, or even light-hearted ribbing, gets taken way out of context.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    there is a world of difference between a critic and a pedant

• Options
    "this work of fiction is not entirely accurate to reality"

yeah, no shit

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

yeah, no shit

Yes, but it can be a fun conversation about how something isn't accurate to reality.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

yeah, no shit

I mean but some of that stuff is interesting

like thinking about the physics of BB-8 on sand made me think about how the speeders work

they can't be putting out downward thrust right because they'd shoot sand everywhere while they were stationary above ground

that doesn't mean the movie is bad its just interesting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

yeah, no shit

Yes, but it can be a fun conversation about how something isn't accurate to reality.

sure, but if someone isn't interested in having that conversation it doesn't mean that they can't handle hearing criticism of a thing they like

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Describe to me in excruciating detail the myriad ways that baby's day out should have died

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    That's literally all he's saying. I don't see why people get so mad about it.

• Options
    I feel like if you're reading that as legit criticism, that says more about you than him.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

yeah, no shit

sure, but if someone isn't interested in having that conversation it doesn't mean that they can't handle hearing criticism of a thing they like

nnno but judging from twitter a bunch of people are actively angry he's bringing it up, not just not interested in the conversation

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yo fuck Rocket: Robot on Wheels

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

yeah, no shit

Look man, Tyson isn't going up to people and demanding they address these points he's making. He's tweeting these idle thoughts out into the internet in his own personal space.

• Options

yeah, no shit

nnno but judging from twitter a bunch of people are actively angry he's bringing it up, not just not interested in the conversation

personally I'm not going to fault people too hard if they think neil "aliens will think we're stupid because we have time zones" degrasse tyson is being too much of a grump about Scientific Accuracy to enjoy a thing

• Options
    Let me tell you about Swatch internet time

• Options

yeah, no shit

personally I'm not going to fault people too hard if they think neil "aliens will think we're stupid because we have time zones" degrasse tyson is being too much of a grump about Scientific Accuracy to enjoy a thing

but he isn't

he's specifically said he isn't

like this is the opposite of just not engaging in a conversation you're not interested in

its seeking out someone to crap on them because you aren't interested in that conversation

it just seems awfully mean spirited

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Idk why so many people are confused by time zones it's just additon and subtraction of whole numbers

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Except he's on record saying he enjoyed it, so they're inventing a false narrative to be mad at.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    like neil tyson is absolutely the kind of person who would complain that people are excited about science fiction when they should be caring about Real Science

• Options

yeah, no shit

He flat out said it doesn't affect is enjoyment though?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    And seriously, fuck time zones anyways.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    like neil tyson is absolutely the kind of person who would complain that people are excited about science fiction when they should be caring about Real Science

except he's not

this is explicitly inventing an attitude he has not only not expressed but explicitly stated he does not have

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

yeah, no shit

If they are not interested in having the conversation, they can just...not have it. When the get all salty about it, they cannot handle even the mildest criticism of the thing they like. These aren't even criticisms, really. They're facts.

None of these tweets have an implied "and it sucks" at the end.

• Options
    NDT thinks there's more stars in the sky than there are atoms in the universe

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I think that the Neil DeGrasse Tyson that exists in your mind and the one that exists in the real-ass physical world are two totally different constructs

• Options

Except he literally stated the opposite?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Look if we didn't have time zones then we'd have to remember that 9PM is morning for some people and evening for others and we can't even remember that Australia has hot christmas

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Niel Tyson wrote:
    I thought Armageddon was thoroughly entertaining, though it’s probably the most scientifically offensive film ever made. The script is hilarious, it has some tender and heroic moments, the actors put on some great performances, it’s a nice ensemble. That one has the limit of those two extremes, for me. If I’m channel-surfing and I hit Armageddon, yeah, I’m gonna stop and watch it.

• Options
  • Options
    Gotta be honest folks it's weird to not see the degrasse he seems like a full name type a guy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Look if we didn't have time zones then we'd have to remember that 9PM is morning for some people and evening for others and we can't even remember that Australia has hot christmas

maybe thats why he thinks aliens will think we're idiots

• Options
    Gotta be honest folks it's weird to not see the degrasse he seems like a full name type a guy

On mobile and too lazy tbh

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    NDT is a big nerdy goof and I'm pretty okay with him being a big nerdy goof and picking things apart in a big nerdy goof way.

My eyes do roll around their sockets like a haywire BB-8 when I see that he has a withered turd like Richard Dawkins on his podcast to discuss religion.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Idk why so many people are confused by time zones it's just additon and subtraction of whole numbers

Especially if it's just 2-3 hours. It amazes me that people can get upset if they only get told something in one US timezone instead of all of them (same goes over here in Aus, if I get told something is 3PM Perth time, I instantly know what time that is here).

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options

It's so fucking hot

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Look it's literally the same thing because you'd be like "hey let's record at 9pm" and they'd be like "that's in the middle of the night for me, I can't" but now you just have a more precise "that's 2am for me"

It is useful for the 24h clock to mean the same thing worldwide Wrt the sun's local positon in the sky

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I mean, this is coming from a guy who tells a story about the movie Titanic, and the first punchline is him getting dunked on. He is able to enjoy something while still thinking about the cool science parts. As I recall he did the same thing with Gravity.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    It's like 5AM and it's still hot in here.

This discussion has been closed.