As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Weapon Confirmation

KraddyKraddy Registered User new member
Hello everyone. I'm very excited for PAX East again and I will be cosplaying.
I want to get a confirmation if I make a "Saw Cleaver" from Bloodborne out of wood, will I be able to bring that in?

• Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    The FAQ will help you with this: It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure.

• Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    what about airsoft replicas? i thought if it had no mag or something it was ok?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    what about airsoft replicas? i thought if it had no mag or something it was ok?
    All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:

It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
    It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
    It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)
    Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    so no one does complete military costumes?

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Sure they do, they just find alternatives other than airsoft- you can get toy guns, etc...the rule is it cannot fire any sort of projectile (or be any sort of airsoft gun).

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    nerf is a good sustitue,it just need to be perminitly disable.i usuly just gut the inside safe the parts for after pax and put it all back togther.course im good with fixin things so maybe hard for others to do lol.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    nerf is a good sustitue,it just need to be perminitly disable.i usuly just gut the inside safe the parts for after pax and put it all back togther.course im good with fixin things so maybe hard for others to do lol.

Exactly what I did. I found a decent looking sawed off shotgun styled toy dart gun. Gutted the entire firing mechanism and just left the trigger intact for appearance.

If you're looking for realistic handgun, perhaps get a trainer and repaint it? http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/92RGB92/Model_92_Rubber_Training_Pistol.aspx
    http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/92RGRH/Ruger_Super_Redhawk_Rubber_Training_Revolver.aspx
    http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/92RGRL/Ruger_LCR_Rubber_Training_Revolver.aspx

• Options
    edited January 2016
    ok then by that reasoning cant i just gut my airsoft m4 and put the empty shell back together? at that point its like i just bought the outer shell of the gun and put the body pin in with nothing in it (which is completely feasible the uppers, lowers, and barrels can all be bought seperately)
    now that i think about it i can gut the mag as well so its hollow with a gaping hole on the top

Mechcondrid on
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    ok then by that reasoning cant i just gut my airsoft m4 and put the empty shell back together? at that point its like i just bought the outer shell of the gun and put the body pin in with nothing in it (which is completely feasible the uppers, lowers, and barrels can all be bought seperately)
    now that i think about it i can gut the mag as well so its hollow with a gaping hole on the top

No.
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies
    All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:
    • It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
    • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
    • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)
    Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged
    They make it extremely clear that airsoft weapons are off limits.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    ok but its no longer an airsoft weapon at this point and follows the projectile rule and it has no means to fire a projectile
    if its the fact that it looks realistic then even a trainer is not allowed (though it doesnt say anywhere anything about looks)
    what i'm talking about doing i litterally gutting it so no inner barrel, no gearbox, no wiring, no mechanics what-so-ever.
    just a completely empty shell held together with about 4 pins that go straight through

Mechcondrid on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You are free to argue that point with the PAX weapon check security staff. Be prepared to be told it is not permitted.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Airsoft is not allowed regardless of it's condition. You will not be allowed to bring it into the building.

Find and alternative, there are lots of them out there.

AaronC on
  • Options
    ok can i ask why?

• Options
    Carrying a realistic looking weapon at a crowded event in a city that very recently suffered a terrorist attack probably isn't a good idea. The policy predates the attack but in general, seeing something that at first glance looks like it could kill you tends to make people really uncomfortable.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I get the natural reason and inclination to ask why, but in this situation I'm not sure discussing the reason behind the policy will lead towards meaningful conversation and understanding. It's certainly not going to change the policy or get an exception added for this PAX. I would suggest, if you want to impact a potential policy change in the future, to discuss it in the post-pax constructive feedback thread, or in the post-pax survey that goes to Reed and Penny Arcade.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    With all rules, there are usually two factors:
    1. Reason
    2. East of implementation

It's far easier to ban all airsoft than to allow deactivated, especially when police officer or security person CANNOT tell if something is deactivated or not by looking at it.

• Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular

I will be doing it again this year, doing a Rainbow Six: Siege Cosplay and The Division. Will be using Blue Guns, etc for my props.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options

I will be doing it again this year, doing a Rainbow Six: Siege Cosplay and The Division. Will be using Blue Guns, etc for my props.

you always do the full uniform getup but i really hate the blue fakes they just look so ugly to me

• Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular

you always do the full uniform getup but i really hate the blue fakes they just look so ugly to me

Yeh I know, the blue guns stand out so bad its just bad but at the same time it has a definite good chance of getting passed for prop check and the local Boston PD force will see it and instantly know its a fake weapon.

mYPBAfl.jpg