As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pirates of the Aturi Cluster (PLAYTEST. Mynock Squadron- NEEDLES)

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The problem with turning left is that we are very, very likely to get blocked by B7, pile up on each other, and get no actions or shots.

The problem with going right is that we are effectively giving Daypigeon up for dead. And then we're down to four vs ten or so...

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    That's what happens when you don't stabilize your rear deflectors and watch for enemy fighters, @Farangu .

Tsk tsk tsk

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Maybe we all left 1 and evade token?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    The problem with turning left is that we are very, very likely to get blocked by B7, pile up on each other, and get no actions or shots.

The problem with going right is that we are effectively giving Daypigeon up for dead. And then we're down to four vs ten or so...

B7 moves before any of us, I don't think getting blocked is that likely considering their tightest move is hard 1.

personally I'm thinking I should take a hard 3 to try and shoot past part of the tie formation while you all make a hard 1 inward, that gives a decent angle of attack.

Edit: B5 feels like more of a hazard, a human player could K-turn or attempt to block but I don't know how the AI would deal here - I'm guessing it'd go with a 4K personally?

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Err.
    B5 is what I had in mind.
    It has a one in three chance of doing a K-turn and a two out of three chance of blocking our entire formation.

• Options
    Are we allowed to wave templates around and look at potential distances?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Err.
    B5 is what I had in mind.
    It has a one in three chance of doing a K-turn and a two out of three chance of blocking our entire formation.

yeah alright, that's true

I realize it slows things down a lot, but I think we need to be able to pick targets or do actions after maneuvers. Otherwise a lot of the usefulness of pilot skill just disappears. We could have all missed B5 anyways, but splitting our shots automatically didn't really work here.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Daypigeon the next couple of rounds I'll wait to get firing orders from everyone and we'll see how we feel about it. It's just the normal struggle between decisiveness and momentum

@Brody in the tabletop you can eyeball templates to try to get a good idea of the move, but you'd can't measure. Similarly, when you're trying to pick who to target you're not supposed to go around measuring everyone's distance from you to get the absolute best shot. I'll post a pic of the movement templates to scale to help visualize your moves

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Are we allowed to wave templates around and look at potential distances?

One thing to help visualise too is that 1 straight is about as long as your base. So if you go one straight you'll move the length of two bases (because you put your ship at the end of the template).

The curves are obviously a little different but I find it super useful to keep that rough scale in mind.

• Options
    I'll do the maneuvers and then post the map and get the Actions and Targets from everyone before proceeding. May as well test things in a play test! :P

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, I figured I'd could scale in some templates if that was something allowed, but I'll not do that then.

Hard left 1. SET!

Edit: Added the word hard to the front of my maneuver.

Brody on

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    You're able to measure range to any enemy ship when your ship is the active ship in the combat phase, before you declare your target.

Edit: see page 4 of the FAQ

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Hard left 1. Evade. Set.

• Options
    Hard left 1. Set.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hard left 1. Evade. Set.

• Options
    Help us @Daypigeon , you're our only hope!

• Options
    Okay, Hard 3 Left, set!

• Options
    Is this a bad time to shout "Give us victory, or give us death!"?

• Options
    "Give use victory, or give us death!....actually, just the victory."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Round 4 - Impactivation
    12522932_10207336423581709_3077594872347326350_n.jpg?oh=cc25cad3d5c4a37035fcc78bf8f8dcf2&oe=57489A9C

Round 4 - Piratey Maneuvers
    12400494_10207336423621710_1267751657871577366_n.jpg?oh=4dc4e323f8a5d6a938593216bf11d522&oe=573ADDB2

Mynock Three, @Daypigeon , just barely misses out on his intended maneuver.

So that's the Mynock Maneuver round. Now give me you Actions (even if you already did) and your intended targets. If you focus let me know if you want to use it for defense or offense, etc.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I will focus offensively, and target A2?

• Options
    well, that worked out pretty ok, all things considered

I can't take actions but if it's possible and within range 1 I'd like to target A3, otherwise A1 (not sure if I have an angle on 3 or not)

since there's no range bonuses for cannons I'd suggest everyone target A1-A3 group or barrel roll to hit B5

• Options
    Enemies automatically target closest? Which means Daypigeon has saved me from being shot? In that case I will focus offensively. Targeting A2 if it's alive and then either A1 or A3 depending on how damaged it is. I agree with crimsoncoyote and/or sokpuppet barrelrolling to finish off B5.

• Options
    Yeah, I was thinking we try and blow through a chunk of Group A to help reduce Day's incoming damage, crimson does some fancy dodging, maybe even a barrel roll to avoid taking too much damage. Although he should only be taking shots from one tie, so it might be better if he evades, leaving the rest of us free to focus on shooting.

• Options
    I am stressed so I can't take an action, otherwise a barrel roll would be probably be ideal to get out of B5's arc. As it is, Sokpuppet might want to barrel roll to try to save me from a R1 shot from B5, unless he can hit B5 from where he is already.

My best shot would be at A3, I think, unless either B5 or A2 are within my arc, which I don't think they are.

• Options
    Why are you stressed?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Experimental Interface from last round

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Is B5 within Sokpuppets firing arc?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Whew. That turned out really good for us.
    Good call, Brody! Sometimes you've just gotta go for it!

Can't really check arc just yet. Pretty sure that B5 is not in arc, but not necessarily a huge concern as that pilot is Blinded.
    If it's a concern, I could definitely barrel roll to get a shot. That leaves me flying around in the Hypothetical Bomb Zone next turn though.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    I totally forgot about Blinded pilot!

• Options
    Alright, I've cemented my decision.

Focus offensively, and aim for A2. SET!

• Options
    Wellll.
    Barrel roll left as forward as possible, fire on B5

Got ourselves a lost puppy back here!
    Gonna send him home...

• Options

• Options
    Round 4 - Cannon's away!
    Mynock Leader @crimsoncoyote juuuuust manages to get A2 within the sights of his Mangler cannon, but A2 razzle dazzles an evasive maneuver (3 evade. EVADED)
    Meanwhile, Mynock Two @Sokpuppet has barrel rolled close enough to Three Stooges eye-poke B5. Morality of attacking a blind man aside, the TIE is pierced by bolts of energy and explodes! (1 Hit, no Evades. -1 HULL. DESTROYED!)
    Tears streaming down his face, @Daypigeon , Mynock Three, fires at A3 to avenge his fallen comrade at close range. First an energy bolt from his main cannons overloads the TIE's engines (CRIT. DAMAGED ENGINE. -1HULL) and then he opens up with his ion turret, blue lightning playing across the ship's surface as it hurtles out of control toward an asteroid (HIT. +ION TOKEN. -1 HULL)
    @admanb , Mynock Five, fires at A2, hoping to destroy that TIE before it can fire at him. It takes some focus to get his Mangler cannon on target, but A2 has seen his attack coming and is prepared (adman spends focus token. A2 rolls well. EVADED)
    @Brody , Mynock Six, tries to defend his wingmate, but in his excitement he fires wildly (NO HITS. EVADED)

12509528_10207337999381103_8465518810026994046_n.jpg?oh=8bfb8b1e706c3629e6f96ae6be6e6a8e&oe=5745AF0E
    A3 careens wildly towards certain death! WILL HE GO DOWN FIGHTING?!

XP:
    @Sokpuppet +2 xp for damaging and destroying a ship.
    @Daypigeon +1 xp for damaging a ship

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Did I not roll focus's either?

• Options
    Round 4 - Imp Combat
    A1 fires at the Y-Wing at close range and damages the Mynock's shields (-2 SHIELDS)
    A2 fires at @admanb, focuses on his target, and just barely sneaks in a shot (-1 SHIELD. STEALTH DEVICE DESTROYED -1 DEFENSE)
    A3 attempts to damage his possible destroyer and succeeds in disabling @Daypigeon's shields (-1 SHIELD)
    A4 and B7 clench as the Mynock Interceptors close in.
    G2 and G1 are busy singing a lovely duet. It's hauntingly beautiful.

12509318_10207338047862315_707140939892701546_n.jpg?oh=de3912914ccbe7ad0fd90a203a26e635&oe=573EED3C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mMv5L06kI

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @Brody Your roll was two blanks :( You were too busy thinking about how awesome rockets are to effectively fire your lasers

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I guess maybe I'll use TL next time, if there is a next time.

• Options
    I say we all bank right two. Keeps formation, and give crimson a chance to shake that stressful feeling.

• Options
    Since there was very little chance of you getting shot back in this situation TL would probably have been slightly better.