Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Web hosting that lets me actually do something...

I've been thinking about making a little corner of the web just for myself. Now, the last time I had a personal web site was in 1997 when I worked for an ISP. It was a www.isp.com/~halkun/ website that was offered, that I could shell into, ftp into, and run perl scripts in. It as about $20 a month back in the day.

I know the internet has grown since then, I'm darned if I can't find webhosting that gives me a shell/FTP/Scripting access anymore. I was referred to Squarespace, but it's all template garbage. Can someone refer me to someplace that gives me a simple *nix account, public HTTP directory, and an Apache server configured for something like Ruby/Python scripting?

That would be pretty wizard.

wVo0Rgr.png

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You could try talking to @Infidel about a PADev account.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, we run a VPS host for our programmer community here, $5 USD a month gets you a shell account with all you describe.

OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I use digitialocean for my stuff.

VPS is the keyword you're looking for: Virtual Private Server.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Baron Dirigible
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    If you REALLY want to do your own shit, consider Amazon EC2?

The micro instances are free for a year, and it's a full on Linux box you can install whatever you want to and do whatever you want with.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...