Options

Eating healthier

13»

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    People often say "I want to lose make money" when what they mean is "I'd like to have money"

For some reason this typo or autocorrection slays me. "All the time I hear people say 'hrgl glorp braph blorple' when what they actually mean is 'I just don't want to donate blood.'"

:(

Now I want and don't want to fix it at the same time

Why have you done this to me

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Keeping an eye on this topic because it pertains to me as well. Especially since I'm the sort who does a lot of research before committing to things and few fields are as conflicted about basics as nutrition and exercise.

Gonna get MyFitnessPal and maybe a Fitbit that can yell at me. I have a van pool that drops me off right in front of a gym, I have no excuse to be slacking this hard.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The science is actually really clear. Eat less calories than you burn to lose weight (you can lose weight just eating twinkies), exercise to prevent muscle loss, and do resistance training plus consume protein to gain muscle.

The problem is that 70% of the USA population have multiple food addictions and several lazy habits that they've accumulated over the course of many, many years.

Breaking those addictions or changing those habits requires behavior changes, and all behavior changes have low success rates. Because humans are bad at changing their behavior.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    That's if pure weight control is your goal, though. Optimizing other things takes other tweaks. Most people get too much sodium, for example, and controlling that a little can lower your weight by a point or two. It's not "real" weight, because its water retention, but 1-5 pounds of water weight gone helps your knees.

We also drink a huge amount of caffeine. Some is nootropic and fun, but the amount a lot of people drink is good for like, 10bpm on your resting heart rate.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    1. Cut out sugar (fruit is ok, yoghurt and cereal not so much) as much as possible. Go for drinks first, that's the low hanging fruit)

Switching from soda to mineral water is a good idea. As long as it's carbonated, I found that it satisfied my soda cravings just as good.

I've gone from 208 to 183 + mad muscle gains with this in about 2.5 months... Your mileage may vary, of course. Best of luck and stay positive that's most important:

Sparkling water > soda. Never drink a calorie except ...
    Few alcohol days, only liquor no caloric mixers
    Chicken thighs, a lot of chicken, w/ fat on it for protein and fat. So much satiety vs any carb heavy meal (I am not keto)
    Heavy lifting 5-6 days a week. I do low rest time high energy lifting for 30 minutes to an hour depending on the day. If you do cardio, look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) vs longer slow stuff.
    Intermittent fasting has proven research on its benefits. Check it out if you are interested. It doesn't have to be intense. I ate one not big meal Saturday and one Sunday then today I ate a lot. It's all good.

I cook a lot now. So many chicken thighs or fatty pork carnitas.

Don't stress! Don't lock yourself into something you hate. I love the high fat/protein diet and finding new recipes and I love the gym now. So that works for me. If your passion lies elsewhere, go with it as long as you're moving and happy.

From what I've gathered this is the only proven stuff:
    HIIT very effective
    Intermittent fasting does work in some strange ways
    Sugar was a thing we evolved for but holy fucking hell we do you not need to consume it in any of the quantities offered by most foods

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I do the opposite of some on the snack rule. I cut snacking at home out entirely; i have low-salt peanuts or will nibble on the grated parmesan i keep around for pasta if i get desperate, but have nothing else. V8 fruit juice being my only (non-water) drink, a glass+ (i drink it in a mug, hard to measure) of wine a week, occasionally milk if i need to get rid of it beyond what goes with the morning cereal, sometimes i indulge with some sweetened iced tea. But that way i can indulge on the occasional work treat and hopefully come out ahead.

Protein source is a good call, you want to blast the hunger more than anything, and protein's the leanest way to do that.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Carrots and celery are my go-to if I need something in between meals. Not exactly filling, but enough to quell the stomach rumblings.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd check in. When I started this revamp, I was 220 lbs. Had a doctor visit follow-up and she recommended I try a low-carb diet.

My last weigh-in was 206, which was nice progress over the last week (3 pounds). The wife went back to work 3 weeks ago and I switched to a low sugar/low-carb approach. No breads, pasta, etc. Instead of going cold turkey, I slowly weaned myself off the sugar by reducing the sugar I ate each day and not restocking any of that stuff when I went to the store. I think it worked out well.

Not gonna lie though it's been tough, but the results are showing. Fitting in exercise has still been a challenge with the baby unable to be alone at this age (5.5 months), but I get some work in over the weekend and I'm constantly carrying her around the house (like a 14lb dumbell that I can't put down) so that's been helping a little bit. My options are to exercise in the morning before everyone wakes up (around 6 am) or in the evening after the wife gets home (which sucks because we don't spend that much time together anyway). Looks like I'll be doing the mornings.

Currently I'm eating low-carb yogurt or an egg w/sausage link for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch, and something healthy for dinner. My drinks are nothing but water all day. I'd guesstimate my daily carb intake at ~ 50/60g. "Moderate" intake is between 100-150g/day so I'm doing fine there. When I feel the urge to snack, I've got snack cheeses to munch on. As for my sweet tooth, we tried making some low-carb lemon muffins and they were god awful (super sour aftertaste followed by a artificial sweetener aftertaste). The current fix is a can of A&W 10, which has 10 calories and 3 carbs. We'll keep looking for a better option though.

So yeah, 14 pounds isn't a lot in 3 months, but the weight loss was minimal for most of January and February. March/April really picked up and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm going to stay on this low-carb diet until at least my next blood test in June/July. Hopefully my body will adjust and my sweet tooth goes away.

That's it for now. Thanks for all the advice and help!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    You're still clocking in at just over 1lb a week, which I'd say is good progress. I'd gauge consistency over peaks and valleys