As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS4 is collecting dust. (come recommend games)

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought a PS4 half a year ago, bought a few games, and didn't touch the console. The games I bought I thought I would like, but turns out I don't have the skill for controllers that I had way back when I last had a console.

I am searching for some good games that are console exclusive that I can play while waiting for Persona 5, KH3, and FFXV (the main reason I bought the system).

I was planning to buy Battlefront, but that game tanked.

The games I am interested in are JRPGs, platformers, and some action games. Before asking, yes I have a gaming PC and want to play games that aren't already available for steam.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Bloodborne will not only fulfill your RPG/action fix, but it will also help you get those controller skills back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It doesn't fit any of the genres you asked for, but you should really consider Until Dawn. PS4 exclusive. Fantastic. Very replayable. The game that David Cage has tried to make for so many years now, and somebody else beat him to it. Controller skill won't matter at all.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The Last Of Us Remastered is my go to when people ask about ps4 games.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    For JRPG's, you could try the Disgaea games, or the Tales Franchise (but i did not care for the most recent one Tales of Zestria).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tearaway Unfolded is a fun platformer based on the Vita game.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Journey.

If you have a playstation plus account, Grim Fandango is free this month. Its not an exclusive, but Its free. If you've got some friends to couch co-op with, gauntlet was also free (that may have already rotated out, though).

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I've found the uncharted collection to amazing. Witcher III is also great!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Bloodborn and The last of us and uncharted series (If you havent played it already) definately. I've owned both xbone and ps4 since pretty much they came out and I've bought many more games for the PS4 then the xbone, so you did make the right choice of the two.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Roe wrote: »
    I was planning to buy Battlefront, but that game tanked.

Depends what you mean by 'tanked'. I mean, it's got a population of around 100k on PS4, and it's never hard to find games. It's a fun enough casual shooter.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne bloodborne

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is a must!!!! It takes time to get the hang of the controls but the rewards outweigh the pain (or maybe the pain becomes part of the pleasure??)

I'd also recommend, The Last of Us remastered, Towerfall, Minecraft, and Journey. Tearaway Unfolded looks so cute as well!!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Uncharted collection. 3 entire games of some of the best writing, acting, and character development in vidja gaems and action mixed with platforming running at 60fps. The Last of Us Remastered if you are ready to play a game that you can only finish and not beat because it beats you.

Other good exclusives: Bloodborne, Infamous, Until Dawn.

If you do not have them on PC already: Shadow of Mordor (on sale on PSN right now) and Witcher 3. AC: Syndicate is also worth mentioning. It is an excellent return to form for the series.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is the only Souls game I find has a reasonable difficulty. I've been playing it for like a year, on and off.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Battlefront tanking isn't a fact, it's an opinion, mostly shared by people who either do not play Battlefront, or play Battlefront on PC, the one version which doesn't seem to capture and retain an audience. Battlefront is alive and well on PS4, and like the most fun I can have in a shooter right now.

Visit http://swbstats.com/ to see the current concurrent player numbers for each platform, as well as the 24h peak concurrent player numbers, which currently sit at around 50k on PS4 and almost 40k on Xbox One. Looking at the upcoming DLC expansions like Bespin and the Death Star, that content will reinvigor the interest and overall player activity for certain.

Battlefront is on sale on PSN (EU), and I'd suggest you check it out for yourself, before you rag on it. If Star Wars is really your jam, it's very likely going to appeal to you on some level. Personally, I think the backlash against Battlefront isn't factual, but rather political. Fabricated outrage.

For example the *not enough content* complaint? Hogwash in my eyes. There's like 15 unique small team mode maps, and 5 unique big team maps (that play out completely differently depending on mode, some even have day/night and layout variations). Additional free maps are coming up, in February there's an additional big team map and Battlefront's Rush mode variation will be expanded to all big team maps. So yeah, there's tons of meat on Battlefront. Completing a single Walker Assault map rotation does take all afternoon, longer than many other games last in total.

Anyways. Just saying, Battlefront didn't tank. You've been misinformed. It might not be for everyone, but it's a high quality multiplayer shooter, with extreme production values, and it captures the Star Wars atmosphere better than any previous Star Wars game to date. Hell, it's practically more Star Wars than Force Awakens, measured by the original trilogy. It's more Darth Vader than Kylo Ren is. Most importantly, it runs and plays buttery smooth on all platforms.

P.S. I recommend to you to play every multiplatform game on PS4/Xbox One, that might get ruined by hackers on PC, like the upcoming The Devision, which is both a shooter and an RPG.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Necroposting fanboy rants aside, Battlefront does have content if you are willing to pay. Being dedicated to the Playstation Network monthly fees in order to be playable is somewhat unfortunate given that isn't a concern on other systems. It can be a very fun game, though honestly I found it more frustrating than entertaining in most (though not all) of my sessions. Many sessions were so over the top bizzare that I found it hilarious. Other times I found it annoying how any sort of level progression could be immediately be reversed by a hero upgrade, regardless of how much you and your team worked. Looking at it you probably know if it will be fun for you or not by content, take the Star Wars skin off of it and look at it as a fast paced, chaotic, fairly randomly progressing shooter (and all the glorious and terrible aspects that entails) and you know what you are getting.

Firewatch came out this week. Short and sweet, story heavy. Worth a look!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Speaking of fun Vita Ports - Gravity Rush was fun, but kinda frustrating to use the motion controls when that means moving the screen around. Having the screen and controller as seperate entities fixes this issue.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Earth Defense Force 4.1! It's the most fun you can have!

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Also grab helldivers it's free this month on psn and tons of PA plays it!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Last of Us, Until Dawn and of course the god all Bloodborne.

I bought it just for Bloodborne and it was worth it.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    I bought a PS4 because my PC couldn't handle the Wicher 3 and am having a similar problem.

Battlefront is fun, but I do agree that it's light on content so it's hard to doesn't keep me entertained for a long period of time. But is a great game to play for a couple hours on the weekend. If you come across a good sale you should give it a shot!

I picked up Bloodborne a few weeks back because of all the rave reviews it got, but just a warning that it may not be your thing. There was a point halfway through when I wanted to break the disk in half, and honestly I feel like I might have been better off doing so. After beating the game I didn't feel an ounce of satisfaction, but instead was depressed that I had wasted so much of my time on a game where I felt nothing but frustration, fear, and was stressed out the entire time. Not saying you wouldn't like it, but it's not for everyone.

What has been keeping me entertained this week is using the 7-Day trial of PS Now to go back and play the exclusives I missed last gen. Having a great time with God of War and may consider subscribing for a month to play a bunch of the games I missed. They have a lot of the big exclusives available like God of War, Journey, The Last of Us, Uncharted, etc.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I bought a PS4 just for Guilty Gear Xrd, of all things. I had played it during the 4th of July weekend 2015 in Akihabara and was utterly hyped. But that this point I would hold out for the next one. It should be a more complete game than SFV....

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767