As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Unless you're a bloodtinge build or you just have tons of extra mats you don't care about, I'd never upgrade your gun. All it does is add damage to it, and if you're like most people, your gun is just a "sometimes I use this to parry" button.

This is kind of what I thought it was going to be, I just didn't have any experience with upgrading it to say one way or another.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Unless you're a bloodtinge build or you just have tons of extra mats you don't care about, I'd never upgrade your gun. All it does is add damage to it, and if you're like most people, your gun is just a "sometimes I use this to parry" button.
    ehhhh

even on a non-bloodtinge build, a repeater pistol with bone marrow ash can do respectable damage at range (for that matter, so can the hunter pistol, though less significantly so). it wouldn't be my first priority to level it, but it's a nice tool to have in reserve.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So despite playing and loving Dark Souls 3, it's constantly making me want to replay Bloodborne.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It must be because I love dark fantasy much more than cosmic horror/gothic, because while i love Bloodborne's mechanics, I only played through it twice, and only really then because I felt like making a new character to do the DLCs when they came out. It doesn't have the lasting replay value of the other games for me. It's a great game, and I love it, but not only are the themes/aesthetic less interesting to me than dark fantasy or dark fairy tale like Demon's Souls, the lack of heavy armors, shields, 200+ weapons, etc. mean so much less replayability for me.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    At what level can I or should I start doing the Chalice dungeons? Do I want to wait until I've finished the story proper? I really want the witch garb that comes out of the Pnthbbbbhttthphh Chalice.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    At what level can I or should I start doing the Chalice dungeons? Do I want to wait until I've finished the story proper? I really want the witch garb that comes out of the Pnthbbbbhttthphh Chalice.

You can and should do them as soon as you start getting them. If you start them at the end of the game, the first few you will need to make artificially difficult if you don't want to breeze through them and make the awesome cool bosses die instantly because you will be quite overleveled for them, and the generally samey-ness of them will feel a lot more off-putting. If you spread them out over the course of your game, you can use them as breaks rather than treating them as one singular slog. Also, some of the later Chalices give you blood echoes like nothing else in the non-NG game, and that will either make the rest of the campaign proper a lot easier (because it will jack your level up), or will be very useful if you need to grind.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Played this all weekend, except for yesterday because I wanted to have a relaxing time playing games. Took down Papa G, Bloodstarved Beast, and Vicar Amelia. I almost killed Amelia on my first try, but I couldn't figure out how to stop her from healing... if only I'd read the item description on those numbing powders I picked up. Had to summon a rando person to help me kill her and we did it. Made it through Sniper dog hell forest to Charnel whatever place, and that's were I stopped.

I'm happy that Bloodborne finally clicked for me, because it's a pretty exhilarating game to play. Also super frustrating... but that just makes victory that much sweeter. Depending on how the rest of this playthrough goes, I might even pick up Dark Souls II on PS4 down the line. Like, way down the line. I still have to beat Bloodborne, and my heart needs time to recover.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    So I have one boss blocking my path, and I'm having some problems with that fight.
    So instead I decide to check out a big door I remember I couldn't open when first I encountered it. Just need to go here, and then take the other way around, and . . . What's this? Were these stairs always here? Hm ... I follow them down to
    The Bloodstarved Beast
    take care of that, and suddenly I'm looking at an entirely different rabbit hole than what I had expected.
    I appreciate how I always feel like I have at least two different routs to explore.
    I'm not good at this game, but I really like it.

I have some questions about Chalice Dungeons
    I entered my first one last night. Got to the third level before I had to call it a night.
    How many level do these dungeons have?

I understand they take some consumables to set up. Do I use said consumables each time I go into one, or each time I set one up?

Anything else worth knowing before doing early dungeons?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have some questions about Chalice Dungeons
    I entered my first one last night. Got to the third level before I had to call it a night.
    How many level do these dungeons have?

I understand they take some consumables to set up. Do I use said consumables each time I go into one, or each time I set one up?

Anything else worth knowing before doing early dungeons?

Here's a guide to unlocknig each chalice

Most have 3 layers. A few have 4, but its rare. Once you open a chalice for the first time with mats, you can open any other chalice of the same type for free with the chalice glyph code (the "Search for glyph" option on the gravestone altars). That's actually how you get to be able to farm the depth 5 root chalices for the best glyphs, gems, etc; you just re-use other people's codes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the cut off is for summoning Gascoigne? I've made two new characters to try a Str build and a Skill build but neither one of them has been able to get his summon sign to show up, either offline or on.

• Options
    I beat Bloodborne last night - for the first time.
    I made a backup of my save file on a USB drive and went through all 3 endings.
    None of them were very satisfactory.

I mean, I didn't have much expectation for closure or anything. But man. You get a 15 second scene of the doll doing something and then it's over and you're waking up again with scary beard dude right in your face.

Overall a very fun gameplay experience though. I bought the Dark Souls 2: Scholar edition and I plan on jumping immediately into that.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the cut off is for summoning Gascoigne? I've made two new characters to try a Str build and a Skill build but neither one of them has been able to get his summon sign to show up, either offline or on.

where are you looking for it, I think its back near the bottom of the stairs from the lamp (past the shortcut gate) now. they moved it from the plaza. also if he's dead it wont show up afaik.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Naphtali wrote: »

where are you looking for it, I think its back near the bottom of the stairs from the lamp (past the shortcut gate) now. they moved it from the plaza. also if he's dead it wont show up afaik.

Both places, past the lamp shortcut and at the plaza. I haven't beaten a boss yet on either of them.

I mean, I didn't have much expectation for closure or anything. But man. You get a 15 second scene of the doll doing something and then it's over and you're waking up again with scary beard dude right in your face.

Overall a very fun gameplay experience though. I bought the Dark Souls 2: Scholar edition and I plan on jumping immediately into that.

I liked the default ending quite a bit; I think it's really nice. The ending you're referring to:
    She's picking you up after you transform into a new infant Great Old One.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Both places, past the lamp shortcut and at the plaza. I haven't beaten a boss yet on either of them.

hmm. do you have the old hunter bell from the dream? fextralife says its near the plaza (the brick golem and house full of revelers)

Naphtali on
  • Options

hmm. do you have the old hunter bell from the dream? fextralife says its near the plaza (the brick golem and house full of revelers)

yup

• Options
    idk my bff jill

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    I suck at this game. I never made it to the first boss. But I am starting to feel like giving it another shot. Everyone says the first part up until the boss is the hardest.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The first part up to the boss is not even close to the hardest part of the game, it's probably the hardest first area of the Soulsborne games, at least until DS3 came out. It's a steep learning curve, and after getting the hang of it, you will definitely feel like the game has gotten easier for you, I'm just trying to help you keep level expectations, because there are much harder areas in the game later, especially in the DLC. You'll just know how to play the game by then.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The witches: is the second one's blue freeze bullshit avoidable? I know she has a range limit, but can you dodge it? Somehow this "easiest" Bloodborne boss has become my roadblock. I just keep dying because she freezes me and slits my throat. Then (and I know this is entirely my fault) I got frustrated and tried to rush back to the nightmare fog one time, and died. This cost me a good amount of echoes. I was calm on the outside, but inside my head was a black tornado of rage and bad thoughts. Took a bit of a break from the game for now. I want to keep playing it, but at the same time I don't want to keep playing it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    On the Witch, use the bridges and elevated walkways. It really confuses their AI when you change planes. And the blue shot is avoidable. I feel like you can mask her shots with terrain. Like a pole or pillar or something.

Ignore the adds, run around in a circle in the room, always making sure to run across the bridge and raised area, and just play hide and seek with the witches. Each time you run across the raised platform it will drop aggro on the adds and they will leash back to whatever part of the room they spawned in.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you can just dodge through the blue shot with your iframes, but it takes a bit of precision due to the shot speed being kinda slow.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I liked the default ending quite a bit; I think it's really nice. The ending you're referring to:
    She's picking you up after you transform into a new infant Great Old One.

There are three endings, but really you're choosing between two. I find them more satisfying than any of the Dark Souls endings thats for sure, but that's not saying much.
    By the end, you have figured out you're phasing in and out of an alien world accessed through dreams. And Gehrman is telling the truth about how to leave. You can either get the hell out of there and go back to a normal life, or stay and pursue power and madness eternally.

The player's Hunter is not the first to refuse to leave, but Gerhman has always successfully kicked them out of the dream. By killing him, the player upsets the order of things and the Paleblood creature intervenes. It captures the hunter and enslaves him into its service eternally.

If the player absorbs the three umbillical cords, he gains enough eldritch wisdom and might and blood and parasites to overpower it, and becomes an immortal demigod alien.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    None of the endings segue into NG+ well at all in terms of "here's an ending animation" immediately followed by the new game medical clinic cutscene, I agree. Just sending us back to the title screen would've worked better.

I kind of wish that in successive runs
    Gehrman would have his model replaced with yours, provided you have triggered the appropriate ending, and that you could start non-NG+ new games with that replacement, such that with each run you can have your character become the new master of the Hunter's Dream.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    None of the endings segue into NG+ well at all in terms of "here's an ending animation" immediately followed by the new game medical clinic cutscene, I agree. Just sending us back to the title screen would've worked better.

I kind of wish that in successive runs
    Gehrman would have his model replaced with yours, provided you have triggered the appropriate ending, and that you could start non-NG+ new games with that replacement, such that with each run you can have your character become the new master of the Hunter's Dream.

The thing about that is...
    The Doll is hanging out at your grave from your last playthrough if you check in with her as soon as possible. The events of the game play out infinitely, as it always has for every PC Hunter and always will. Even when you get an ending you just pop back to the beginning of the 'night'. That's why there's a ludicrous number of graves/tombstones in the Dream. So in one...timeline or reality or whatever, you took Gerhman's place or became a squid, but you're stuck in the one that's infinitely repeating. At least that's what makes sense to me.

It actually feels more explained than Dark Souls, really. I didn't finish DeS back in the day, but with the Nexus I would think NG+ stuff makes more sense.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Playing through again with a pure skill build, planning to mostly use church pick/rakuyo later, but in the mean time I took a quick run to the castle to get the Reiterpalasch. After testing it thoroughly, this thing's a beast. A poke/slash 4 hit combo with great range, tap R2 for a wide slash, hold R2 for a charged stab, transform for exclusive, extremely fast slash attacks. Not to mention so many of the toughest things in the game are weak to thrust.

I'll have to keep this thing around when I pick up my main weapon.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Ornstein and Smough really let themselves go.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Is that a consequence of playing an unpatched version and doing the Poison Cave skip? If so, I always thought that broke The Crow's questline and would have pre-empted such a thing from happening.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Is that a consequence of playing an unpatched version and doing the Poison Cave skip? If so, I always thought that broke The Crow's questline and would have pre-empted such a thing from happening.

Yeah that happened from doing the cave skip. You could do Elieen's quest normally while skipping Amelia and then fight both.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    It must be because I love dark fantasy much more than cosmic horror/gothic, because while i love Bloodborne's mechanics, I only played through it twice, and only really then because I felt like making a new character to do the DLCs when they came out. It doesn't have the lasting replay value of the other games for me. It's a great game, and I love it, but not only are the themes/aesthetic less interesting to me than dark fantasy or dark fairy tale like Demon's Souls, the lack of heavy armors, shields, 200+ weapons, etc. mean so much less replayability for me.

Yeah I agree about theme because I feel the opposite as you. I think the horror stuff in Bloodborne is awesome and would love to see a sequel.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Reddit is organizing a Bloodborne restart event, it's today!

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/556w44/black_moon_reboot_bloodborne_restart_event_on/
    What is a restart event?
    A restart event - in this case, known as the Black Moon Reboot - is an event where you start a completely new character, and play through the game again. The aim of this is to make the game as lively as possible - this includes co-operating with others through the use of the Beckoning and Small Resonant Bells, and also invading the worlds of others through the use of the Sinister Resonant Bell.

When does the Black Moon Reboot begin?
    The event begins on Friday, September 30th - however, the event has no specific end. This means that even if you miss the event start and play the next day, there will still be people participating.

How do we raise awareness about this event?
    Tell everyone! Your friends, family - but most importantly, spread it around social media with the hashtag

BloodborneBlackMoonReboot

Is that all there is to it?
    Yep! Simply play at your own pace, and summon others as often as possible! Help others, leave notes, invade!

Is the Event Annual?
    It is planned to make the event a yearly thing - and hopefully it will, depending on how popular this event is, and also if the subreddit moderators approve it.

However, once this event is over, it is planned to move the annual thing over towards March.

If the event is made annual in March, it will be known as Return to Yharnam.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, but if I were participating that would mean playing online. And I will have none if that shit.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't play any of the BloodSouls games online. It's not for me. Any of it.

I don't want to see people's ghosts falling to their deaths. I don't want to see blood splatter tips all over the ground. I don't want people randomly entering my world and trying to murder me.

Offline is where I will play.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I would be down, but it's a workday. Start that shit on a Saturday.

• Options
    Online ghosts startle the hell out of me. They are not well implemented.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    I would be down, but it's a workday. Start that shit on a Saturday.

It's an on going thing. People will be starting new characters during the weekend as well.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Yeah, but if I were participating that would mean playing online. And I will have none if that shit.

Y'all are crazy. Playing offline is like missing half the game.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    I'm thinking of remaking my Eileen BL43 co-op character for this or do a Bloody Crow version of it, should be fun.

• Options

Y'all are crazy. Playing offline is like missing half the game.

Nah.

• Options
    The the larger point of the event is to get out and do co-op with other hunters. Might be fun for a change of pace, even if you usually play the game solo.

• Options
    I am making my way through Dark Souls 3 right now, but I am tempted to start a new character.

I like the combat and setting more in BloodBorne.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Well, duh, online is online.