As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Use the axe

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I'd say use the axe and blunderbuss. Pump Vit and End at the start, then Str once you're a few areas in. Practice parrying on the big guys with axes, because you'll need it.

Use pebbles to pick one guy out of a crowd and have him come to you. Molotov cocktails are also great a low levels. There's a few good spots in the first level to farm souls and blood vials, they're always close to the lantern (the bridge and the underpass are what I'm thinking of). The sewers have a few pieces of equipment, I believe.

You also can't level up until you trigger a certain something, I don't know if you got that far before. So try to just ignore souls, grab items and explore until you unlock that option.

Oh, and always roll through all the crates/barrels/coffins to look for secret areas. If you see a window with light in it, walk up, because you can hit X to talk to people inside. I missed that for half the game my first time through. And if you see a person who looks like they're the same size/shape/model as you, they're probably a friendly NPC and not an enemy, so don't just immediately attack.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    My biggest thing starting out with this was to get over the habit of button mashing like in mordor/batman.

When you take your time things can go a lot better

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The game punishes me the most when I'm impatient. There are arguably a few "bullshit" moments in the game, but by and large the game rewards you after you've retrained yourself to it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    If you're having trouble parrying with the shotgun, try the pistol. Pistol is preferable for hunter parrying regardless. Shotgun knocks down dogs and provides good stun. Serrated weapons (saw cleaver/ saw spear) get a bonus on beasts. Fire damage gets a bonus on beasts. If you're having trouble with an enemy or an area, see if you can find a way around. There's usually another option.

Lastly, be aggressive. You're a hunter. Your prey should be afraid of you, not the other way around. Don't retreat. Advance, dodge through them, and cut them to pieces.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Man I love the Father Gascoigne fight. It's the perfect gateway. It forces you to stop thinking that this is Dark Souls and be aggressive. Get up in there and stop holding back. I love this fight so much that I went on YouTube and watch LPers struggle with this fight.

I have beaten the game three times. Eventually I will not scream like a baby and flail at beast gascione until he dies after running away for a long time, but I don't know if I'll ever be there. He hits my flight or fight response like nothing else.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    It's a testament to just how much better I've gotten that Gascoigne is so much more maneageable now. Like I had a friend that purchased the game (after hearing me talking about it a lot) and couldn't get passed Central Yarhnam, and I was trying to show her the ropes and she asked to see me take on the first boss (she had not managed to make it to him yet).

So I went in with jack and shit equipped/stocked figuring he'd kick my ass quick. It had been months since I had last played even a Souls game. But then I kind of kicked his ass for the most part, and would have just killed him that first attempt if I had equipped, well, any extra shit. One Molotov would have done it. She was at least super impressed, and also unfortunately decided she could never beat him or the game.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Pistol is preferable for hunter parrying regardless.
    Weird, I have 100% heard the exact opposite of this. Maybe it's just a preference thing. I've never been able to get a parry off with the pistol but can with the shotgun so I'm guessing the better you get, the more the pistol will help?

• Options
    Also I just picked this up again with my newbie Strength build character and MY GOODNESS the Kirkhammer is the hope and the light.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the pistol comes out faster and recovers more quickly

• Options
    i've always been of the opinion that despite the really good balance of the mainhand weapons, the offhands are really poorly balanced and there's more or less about four of five you'd wanna use given the situation

hunter's pistol: low bloodtinge everyman weapon
    evelyn: get smoked
    repeater pistol: get smoked slightly harder
    blunderbuss: safety blanket
    gatling gun: my bloodtinge is shit so what fuck you i'm a strength build

the cannons, piercing rifle, and ludwig's rifle are like y tho

rosmarinus and flamesprayer could be be good except no gem slots

y tho

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Every time I tried to use the pistol, the barrel is so far into the critter that it ends up shooting behind them. But that was back during launch.

ALSO ALSO I need help with a chalice dungeon boss I've been stuck on for about 2 years. I'm not sure which one it is but I think it's the ball and chain giant. I can't check what dungeon it is or my level until I get home but is anyone interested in giving me a hand?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

also lets you parry from further away from the enemy, so there's a bit more spacing coverage to give you some more wiggle room if you miss the parry window depending on the enemy
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Every time I tried to use the pistol, the barrel is so far into the critter that it ends up shooting behind them. But that was back during launch.

ALSO ALSO I need help with a chalice dungeon boss I've been stuck on for about 2 years. I'm not sure which one it is but I think it's the ball and chain giant. I can't check what dungeon it is or my level until I get home but is anyone interested in giving me a hand?

that's why you weren't parrying. the pistol will not parry if physically clipping the enemy's model.

and yeah sure I can help ya, what's your PSN

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

that's why you weren't parrying. the pistol will not parry if physically clipping the enemy's model.

I know, that's what I'm saying, the problem was it was ALWAYS clipping the model for whatever reason. Most likely me getting too close or waiting too long but since it doesn't happen with the shotgun there was no reason for me to learn different. plus I only ever do it with the big guys at the very beginning with the bricks

psn is Magic_Pink I believe

• Options
    i've never had that issue with the hunter's pistol, but it does come up with the evelyn from time to time

• Options
    i've never had that issue with the hunter's pistol, but it does come up with the evelyn from time to time

I swear I remember them mentioning it being fixed in a patch note but I could be way incorrect

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I had that all the time on the tall gangly wolf dudes that appear from Central Yharnam on. That's the main reason I switched to blunderbuss.
    i've always been of the opinion that despite the really good balance of the mainhand weapons, the offhands are really poorly balanced and there's more or less about four of five you'd wanna use given the situation

hunter's pistol: low bloodtinge everyman weapon
    evelyn: get smoked
    repeater pistol: get smoked slightly harder
    blunderbuss: safety blanket
    gatling gun: my bloodtinge is shit so what fuck you i'm a strength build

the cannons, piercing rifle, and ludwig's rifle are like y tho

rosmarinus and flamesprayer could be be good except no gem slots

y tho
    This is why I like the two-handers.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'd really like to try an arcane build but the idea of farming gems in chalice dungeons is not my cup of tea.

What I am trying to say is that the chalice dungeons scare me. I am afraid of them.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've had the 'gun clipping through the enemy so the bullet doesn't actually hit them' thing with both the pistol and Evelyn. I've been trying to train myself to back off from enemies some so that it doesn't happen as much, plus doing that makes it less likely that i'll get hit by the attack should I mistime the shot.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'd really like to try an arcane build but the idea of farming gems in chalice dungeons is not my cup of tea.

What I am trying to say is that the chalice dungeons scare me. I am afraid of them.
    You don't actually have to farm chalice dungeons to play arcane. There are a couple of outstanding gems you can just get from the main game, and the fixed dungeons fill in the gaps. Old Hunters offers endgame-level gems as random drops as well (e: I forget the specifics, but at least one enemy in the final area has them).

Cromarty on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    you can do a pretty good bolt setup with gems in the story, but there's not many decent fire gems. it's worth dipping into the chalices, at least a few deep.

there's a recurring enemy in pthumeru chalices who always drops cursed fire radials.

Elendil on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I was always under the impression that pistols were for parrying human sized enemies and the shotgun was for anything bigger than that and bosses.

I farmed quite a few souls from parry-punishing the werewolves with the blunderbuss in that church...place before Ebrietas or whatever her name was.

kriegs on
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    You don't strictly "have" to go chalice hunting to make arcane work, but you're seriously holding back your character's power and it's not going to feel great in comparison to other builds otherwise.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is the chalice dungeon good? I remember sending a little time in them but was not impressed.

• Options
    s-sort of? the earlier fixed chalices are easy to overlevel and don't unlock anything but more chalices, so you kind of wear yourself out on the formula before it starts to pay off. if you can push through to where you can do depth 4 or 5 roots you start getting some actual pay-off in runes and gems, it gets to be a lot better.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    My personal opinion is that chalice dungeons are, as a whole, boring tedium that suffers from bland level design in a game that normally has great environments. There are some interesting boss fights locked down there that help alleviate that tedium somewhat, but overall chalice dungeons are a pretty negative experience that are only worth doing for a handful of specific rewards more than anything else.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say they're good but you have to do them to get your platinum trophy!

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Yeah.... Once you do like 3 chalices then you start seeing the repetitive level structure. You'll start seeing the same statues here and the same piles of rock there. You get a lot of souls and items and you will see some unique enemies and bosses. As for story? I don't know?

• Options
    I like the idea of the chalice dungeons, and anything that gives me more stuff to kill in not literally the same area over and over is good, but yes absolutely in Bloodborne 2 they need to change it up more within them. I thought the different chalices would have different tilesets but nope it's the exact same structures just with a different color filter over them.

• Options
    I think I have stockholm syndrome because I like some chalices now

except ailing loran, because of bell ladies

• Options
    Bell ladies fucking suck.

But I like it that they are around because it forces me to change up my "take it slow and steady and gradually clear things out" playstyle. I hear that dingalingaling and ah shit now I gotta sprint towards it and shut this down fast before it gets too crazy.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    one bell lady isn't too bad

two are bad

two behind a fucking gauntlet of enemies and rooms sending waves of spiders is a war crime

but the real MVP for worst chalice enemy type is the hemwick witches spawning mad ones non stop

Naphtali on
  • Options
    I hate the hemwick witches for filling my inventory with pebbles. But what am I gonna do, not pick up that glowing object the enemy dropped? No, that's ridiculous.

• Options
    Ok folks I'm online and ready for helps! I'm level 88, the chalice dungeon is the Lower Pthumerian Level 3 and the Chalice Glyph, if you need it, is jjph. Password is wang. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

• Options
    WE DID IT

Looks like I had actually beaten the Giant months ago so we had to go through levels 4 and 5. Naphtali literally walked me through the whole thing until we got to the Blood Beast at the bottom and it bit her head off way early on so I was left alone with the thing and I BEAT IT. I even got a visceral attack off on the dang thing. I'm guessing it 's a crazy easy boss tho; it seems you can just stand under it and not get hit.

Still I am flush with victory.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    PREY SLAUGHTERED

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm guessing it 's a crazy easy boss tho; it seems you can just stand under it and not get hit.

uh not quite

he's got the yuge hitbox ground pound and the between-the-legs grab

what... what did he even do

• Options
    I have never seen that grab attack from bloodletting beast before

its fucking brutal, it bites your head off

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I have never seen that grab attack from bloodletting beast before

its fucking brutal, it bites your head off
    it's such a dick move, too

if you're in the spot where it'll hit, you can't see it coming

• Options
    Got the thing that lets me get to the upper area I missed entirely on the first play through. I'm about 80% certain those trees weren't there before but I don't want to check.

The first boss up there was a pretty good joke. Nice that From takes a break and has a sense of humor at times. Second boss was kind of rough. Did it eventually though, even if that run was kind of bumbling. Then a dead thing turned back time somehow, for some reason. Business as usual.

After all that I decided to change things up a bit. That was a kind of hard boss, let's try something different. How about this chalice I just got?

*three floors later*

:confused:

I still hate frenzy as a mechanic, and that jerk who just runs away for 15 hours then kills you with an explosion so you have to star over is one of the worst bosses in the series, but I got a string and made a cup with it so looking forward to doing that next time.