As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is a Glut of Superheroes on My TV! Most of them good!

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh man this is cheeseball as hell.
    Dragging Jax against his will is actively not cool. I wish they hadn't done that.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    In an alternate universe where Suicide Squad looked good, and you took out the V in BvS, with the foundation being a positive and uplifting Superman story...

Actually yeah, i can kinda see it working now that you mention it

I mean, there's a bunch of potential in Suicide Squad. Will Smith in a major superhero release? Viola Davis as Waller? Harley? Sign me up.

It's just that nobody at DC apparently recognizes what people like about any of those things, and they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
    Well I mean

A TOOOOON of people love Joker and Harley Quinn

Like I am not excited for Suicide Squad but they are absolutely targeting a market, not just flailing wildly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    In an alternate universe where Suicide Squad looked good, and you took out the V in BvS, with the foundation being a positive and uplifting Superman story...

Actually yeah, i can kinda see it working now that you mention it

I mean, there's a bunch of potential in Suicide Squad. Will Smith in a major superhero release? Viola Davis as Waller? Harley? Sign me up.

It's just that nobody at DC apparently recognizes what people like about any of those things, and they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Well I mean

A TOOOOON of people love Joker and Harley Quinn

Like I am not excited for Suicide Squad but they are absolutely targeting a market, not just flailing wildly

Yeah, but it seems more like they're trading in on the names for a cheap buck.*

Which, to be fair, might not be a reasonable assumption based on just a couple of trailers.

But nothing I've heard about the production of this movie has convinced me that DC understands what people like about the Joker, Harley, or Waller.

*Yes, I know a bunch of movies do this, and they're terrible too.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Standoff10-d91cd.jpg

A preview page from the Alpha issue of Standoff. I can just imagine Bucky telling Steve that he doesn't have to act like a stubborn old fart just because he looks like one now.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I actually like the structure of the dccu a lot I just wish the movies could also be good

The structure of... one movie?

The structure of their movie list

Man of steel then bvs then suicide squad is a more experimental way to build a universe than iron Man, hulk, iron man 2

Given nobody had ever, EVER done what Marvel did before, I'm not sure I agree Marvel's method is less experimental. More linear, maybe.

• Options
    Legends of Tomorrow
    Why the hell would Ray pay a crimepunching visit to Oliver to tell him heads up, I'm going off in time, instead of visiting Felicity in the hospital for what might be the last time in a long while?

I mean, besides because Stephen Amell is a bigger guest star for your premiere.

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I actually like the structure of the dccu a lot I just wish the movies could also be good

Man of steel then bvs then suicide squad is a more experimental way to build a universe than iron Man, hulk, iron man 2

Given nobody had ever, EVER done what Marvel did before, I'm not sure I agree Marvel's method is less experimental. More linear, maybe.

It is true that wb can afford to be bolder with their lineup because marvel laid the groundwork but I still like that their second movie acts like an 11th movie in a series and their third movie is about a villain team

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Bleeding Cool claims Scott Snyder is leaving Batman

...and is the new writer on Detective Comics

I like him as a horror/mystery writer more

So, good?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is that the focus of Detective Comics?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bucky and Steve: The Waffle House Summit

• Options
    #TeamWaffles vs. #TeamPancakes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm With Waffles

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Is that the focus of Detective Comics?

Tends to be the split, yeah

Batman does more traditional superheroics, Detective Comics does pulpier mystery stuff

Doesn't always hold up, but theoretically and all that

• Options
    Maybe I'll just follow Snyder from title to title

• Options
    Geek.com, so take it with a pretty big grain of salt, claims the roster for Guardians Vol. 2 is
    The original team plus Yondu, Nebula and Mantis.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm With Waffles

I'm with pancakes

fight me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I'm With Waffles

I'm with pancakes

fight me
    Do you bleed?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm With Waffles

I'm with pancakes

fight me
    Do you bleed syrup?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'm With Waffles

I'm with pancakes

fight me
    Do you bleed syrup?

CONAN_072611_Comedy_2.jpg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm With Waffles

I'm with pancakes

fight me

I will die on this hill with you

Brother

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is it some kind of thing in marvel that tete a tetes at diners inevitably end in punch-ups

is it just a thing with rogers

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's nice to see Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller back together again, and the level at which they are chewing on that scenery is on its own enough to get to me to keep watching. The story is just whatever, but it's not actively annoying right off the bat so that's fine.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What is the good weird stuff out of the whole crazy Marvel stuff?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Out of the comics? Howard the Duck and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    and you took out the V in BvS
    I dunno. That kinda sounds like BS

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there some book with weird right in the title?
    What happened with that 1873? Book
    Shang chi?

• Options
    Weirdworld

It had a Secret Wars mini and then a current ongoing

1872 led to the current Red Wolf ongoing

Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu was sadly just a cool miniseries

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Recently: Superior Foes of Spider-Man, X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier

Currently coming out: Contest of Champions, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, Worst X-Man Ever

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

i mean, that's not true

the universal monsters say "hi"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't slam Iron Man 2 too much.

Yeah its a weaker film in the MCU but its still very entertaining and it is easily the funniest of all the MCU films.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Yeah its a weaker film in the MCU but its still very entertaining and it is easily the funniest of all the MCU films.
    Eh, Guardians and Iron Man 3 were funnier for me

Avengers also, probably

I do like IM2 though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

i mean, that's not true

So does Toho, if we're counting that. Godzilla had a surprising amount of continuity.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    How can Iron Man 2 be the funniest MCU movie when GotG and Ant-Man exist?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'd probably elect to watch iron man 2 over guardians or ant-man

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

i mean, that's not true

Universal monsters didn't really maintain continuity. They just recycled characters.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I can only compare it to the other phase 1 films, but when I did the big phase 1 marathon in the theater before the Avengers premiered was released Iron Man 2 got the most laughs of any film.

It wasn't even fair.

It's so much funnier.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The only majorly bad issues with Iron Man 2 is that it completely fails to deliver on the villains (Whiplash gets one fight in, then disappears from Stark's story until the big climatic battle at the end. Hammer is more comic relief than a villain.) and its unfocused (As someone here once mentioned; it doesn't have a plot, it just has a ton of sub-plots). When you get down to it, Iron Man 2 is a movie that is less than the sum of its parts. When you drill down to a given scene, it's still entertaining and fun. As a full movie, it just doesn't mesh well.

Also my villain complaint is kind of quaint given how lackluster most of the MCU films have been in that regard.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    #TeamWaffles vs. #TeamPancakes

Nextwave: I'm with #crepes

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Zonugal wrote: »

Iron Man 2 is not funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man 3 or Ant-Man.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I like Sam Rockwell's comic relief villain a lot

This discussion has been closed.