Options

[Super Best Friends Play] i have to arrest myself for honking my own dick

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Man, that Dagonronpa discussion made me glad that yall ain't in charge of creating media. Everything would be so stale, safe, and boring.

The world is a pretty shitty place. It's good to be reminded of that as we live comfortable lives where our biggest worry is whether or not a video game offends you.

Why is it such a terrible awful thing that people want to have fun in a video game and not have to deal with the fucking garbage they go through in real life? Jesus, I almost cut my fingers on all the edge of this post.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    This isnt really suprisng

I mean this is the dude who didn't understand the problem with battle panties in persona 4

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm fully expecting Liam's tirade in next week's podcast about face-petting.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Ilpala wrote: »

Oh crap. Fates is out, isn't it?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Enlong wrote: »

february 19th

we only just learned recently that the facepetting minigame would not be in the english localization

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

february 19th

we only just learned recently that the facepetting minigame would not be in the english localization

Good riddance.

But yes, Liam is gonna go nuclear.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Man, that Dagonronpa discussion made me glad that yall ain't in charge of creating media. Everything would be so stale, safe, and boring.

The world is a pretty shitty place. It's good to be reminded of that as we live comfortable lives where our biggest worry is whether or not a video game offends you.

I think a lot of people who are routinely harassed online and in real life because of the harmful worldviews perpetuated by gross representations of women and other minorities in video games and "gaming culture" in general would be happy if things were a little more safe and "boring".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I haven't listened to the podcast or anything, is Liam super into waifu stuff like that?

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to the podcast or anything, is Liam super into waifu stuff like that?

He'll go to bat for most of the creepy anime bullshit and is very much one of those "taking out stuff from the game because it's creepy is censorship" dorks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Well, among other things, he hates the removal or heavy alteration of content in games when they're localized or updated, like some costumes in Bravely Default, or the whole SFV R. Mika camera angle thing.

He's often sad stuff like "don't show me something and then take it away"

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

I think a lot of people who are routinely harassed online and in real life because of the harmful worldviews perpetuated by gross representations of women and other minorities in video games and "gaming culture" in general would be happy if things were a little more safe and "boring".

Yeah, I'm routinely harassed in bother online and offline and I don't demand that every piece of media conform to my comfort level. I play the games I'm comfortable with and don't play the ones I'm not.

• Options

Yeah, I'm routinely harassed in bother online and offline and I don't demand that every piece of media conform to my comfort level. I play the games I'm comfortable with and don't play the ones I'm not.

It's not about conforming to someone's comfort level. It's about not normalizing and reinforcing the harmful attitudes that lead to harassment. Also, no one's demanding anything. They're saying "we don't like this and would rather it not be there" and companies are seeing that and choosing to agree. Nothing's being forced or imposed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I see no reason to not have less bigotry

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

It's not about conforming to someone's comfort level. It's about not normalizing and reinforcing the harmful attitudes that lead to harassment. Also, no one's demanding anything. They're saying "we don't like this and would rather it not be there" and companies are seeing that and choosing to agree. Nothing's being forced or imposed.

Okay Jack Thompson, please explain to me how video games make kids violent.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    They didn't say that at all? You're being a goose.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How is this any different from the argument of video games normalizes and reinforce violent behavior?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    {0}

Enlong on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    oh man it's been a while since someone evoked the name Jack Thompson

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I feel like you're coming from a place where you are fearful "they" are going to take your games. If a game had something shitty in it, like say Creepy Anime Bullshit, sexism, racism, whatever, a lot of people are in fact not going to play it and instead play something else. And they'll probably tell other people not to play it and play something else also! And companies see this, and think "wow this little sister petting minigame/chainmail bikini/gross shit is making people think less of our game, let's get rid of it so we can sell more". No one is being silenced or ganged up on or """censored""" by the scary sjws or whatever you are afraid of.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Why are you guys even engaging? This dude does this all the time. Best to ignore him and let him go continue being a sad angry little man trapped in the angst of the late 90s/early 2000s and not realizing that the world has moved on.

(seriously dude? Jack Thompson? He got disbarred a decade ago and nobody gives a fuck about him anymore.)

• Options
    this thread is doing GREAT!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    If I see a chance to potentially explain a viewpoint I'll give it a good-faith try, but yeah, this clearly isn't going to go anywhere worthwhile.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Where's Mr. Snip-Snip when you need him

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    oh man it's been a while since someone evoked the name Jack Thompson

I miss when Jack Thompson was the big controversy in videogameland. Truly those were simpler days.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Take away my games? Most games I play nowadays are competitive online.

Answer this question. Should art be censored?

• Options

yes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Media affects you, it's absurd to pretend otherwise. It's not going to turn anyone into a murderer as we've got pretty strong barriers against that, but reinforcing prejudices? Absolutely.
    I'll answer this question when there's any censorship actually happening.

cB557 on
  • Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Artists "censor" their own art every day.

Fuzzytadpole on
  • Options

yes

Okay, so should we take away movies like American History X because it reinforces racial stereotypes and celebrates racial violence?

• Options

yes

Okay, so should we take away movies like American History X because it reinforces racial stereotypes and celebrates racial violence?

yes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016

No, but videogames aren't being censored

And, mysteriously, anytime someone accuses "censorship" in games as of late it always seems to be over the company making the game choosing to remove creepy sexualization. It's never the removal of hard hitting themes, controversial political or religious views, or even gameplay features. Always sexualization. funny, that.

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Should we censor art? No. But the people who create it and/or distribute it are entirely welcome to do so as they please. And you are welcome to criticize them for doing so or for failing to do so as you see fit. It's the free marketplace of ideas in action!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    skip

...skip

...why is the skip button not working

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Should we censor art? No. But the people who create it and/or distribute it are entirely welcome to do so as they please. And you are welcome to criticize them for doing so or for failing to do so as you see fit. It's the free marketplace of ideas in action!

So in the end it falls on the consumer being responsible enough avoid the things that they find offensive and don't want to support. I don't like the things they do in UDG, hence I don't buy it. You don't see me demanding that all media should conform to my ideas and belief. I'm okay that poodle might enjoy and buy UDG.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

Fuck it I'm ignoring my own post.

When the artist themselves makes the conscious decision to make a change to their own work for ANY reason. That's fine. That is NOT censorship.

Censorship is when a government tells an artist that they cannot display their art at all barring changes, and you'll see plenty of history of our courts siding with artists if you dig a little bit.

And if it's really such a problem for you, import the Japanese game. That's still an option you know. The original creepy version still exists out there. Oh but it costs more! Oh but I can't read it without a translation! Yeah, well translating it changes the context of the dialogue and is also changing the original art so is translation ok? Is changing a joke so it fits American sensibilities and senses of humor acceptable?

Basically your argument is shit and you're a goose.

rhylith on
  • Options
    skip

...skip

...why is the skip button not working

i'll just remind people that if you actually think an argument is going to poison a thread, the mods do look at reports

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Censorship is a act by a goverment body where they stop a idea from being spread

"Censorship" is video game componies seeing that a bunch of people dont want to buy games with weird sexualizaion in it and adapting to appeal to the broader market

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

So in the end it falls on the consumer being responsible enough avoid the things that they find offensive and don't want to support. I don't like the things they do in UDG, hence I don't buy it. You don't see me demanding that all media should conform to my ideas and belief. I'm okay that poodle might enjoy and buy UDG.

You also don't see anyone else doing that. The distributors of the material chose to change it of their own accord. They decided that the material they changed didn't represent the product the way they wanted it to and that is entirely their prerogative. No one here demanded anything be changed. What we did was say we liked the change they made, which is a reaction to a decision someone made independent of us.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    No one was appealing to nintendo to remove this
    They did this on their own free will

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    he's referring to the danganronpa character that was not changed, not fire emblem facepetting

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.