As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You have no reason not to play [Crashlands]

Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great!Houston, TXRegistered User regular
WTF is Crashlands?

fo8ch8c1uezr.jpg

Only the best Action RPG/Exploration/Adventure/Survival/Roguelike game that supports crossplay between PC and Mobile, that's all! Maybe the only one? I'm not sure actually. It's a game where you play as a Galactic Robot Trucker who gets hijacked, stranded, and that's when shit gets real.

In general, this game is just great, and here's why (stolen from their Steam page):

Expansive Crafting System
Unlock over 500 craftable items as you explore the world and learn its secrets!

Self-managing, Infinite Inventory
In Crashlands, your inventory is infinite, manages itself, and retrieves your tools when you need them, so you can focus on adventuring, questing, and building. You'll never have dig through your bag or return to your base to free up inventory space!

RPG-Style Character Progression
Become more powerful through creating ever-more-amazing items! As you grow in power, you can venture to new regions of the world, meet strange characters, discover new stories, and encounter new and interesting enemies.

Skill-Based Combat
Learn the attacks of the enemies you encounter, and use your skill, agility, and wits to defeat them! You can even augment your fighting prowess with the power of the dozens of gadgets you can craft. Set your enemies on fire, stun them, slow down time, and more!

Intuitive Base Building
Building a base in Crashlands is so simple it feels like fingerpainting. You can create beautiful, sprawling bases in minutes!

Tameable Creatures
Every creature in Crashlands can become a trusty combat sidekick. Find an egg, incubate it, and hatch your very own adorable or hideous bundle of joy. You can even craft special items to grow and empower them!

Huge World... with Huge Problems
Four sentient races, three continents, an epic bid for the future of the planet, and you - trapped in the middle, trying to deliver your freakin' packages. Take your time to dive into the sidestories of the characters you meet or just rush headlong into making that special delivery. With hundreds upon hundreds of quests, there's a lot to do and discover on planet Woanope!

Crossplatforminess
Don't want the fun to stop? Crashlands is also available on mobile - the exact same game, with your cloud-synced progress - so you never have to stop!

And none of that really addresses the best part of the game, which is it's charm and humor. Even down to the way the main character walks, the game oozes a silliness that's incredibly endearing. Just take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6nkHXRIB_g

I should stress again, that full game is available both on PC and Mobile. Like, it's the exact same game on all platforms. And your save syncs across all of them, so you can literally play and progress in your game whenever you want.

I've put in about 2 hours into this so far, and even though I've barely scratched the surface I'm already having a blast. Has anyone else jumped into this yet?

Steam | Twitch
Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm guessing I know the answer but if I buy it on PC does it give me a code to unlock on the phone or do I have to buy both versions?

Still... $5 isn't that much money, but it's more than I'm willing to spend on a mobile game.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately the answer is no, you don't pay once for all versions.

BUT, their reasoning for the pricing scheme actually makes a lot of sense. The Steam version is $15, and the mobile versions are $5. They are in fact the exact same game on both platforms. The developers thought process was that it is really a $20 game (and from what I've played, I'd say that's an accurate statement), but they wanted people to be able to play it on all of their devices, so they split the cost between the two. However, they obviously couldn't split it evenly. Charging $10 for a mobile game from a relatively new developer in today's market would have been pretty much instant suicide.

So the compromise was to let people pay the full $20 and buy it on both platforms if they wanted the "full" crossplay experience, or they could buy it on either/or. I initially only bought it on iPhone, but I liked it so much I went ahead and forked over the extra $15 to buy it on Steam as well. The cloud syncing stuff works great, and the few extra features on Steam (hotkeys, easier control scheme, etc) are worth the money to me.

But if you only wanted to get the mobile version, you're not missing anything. The truth is, it's not a mobile game at all... it's a full-fledged PC game that happens to run perfectly on mobile as well. It's well worth $5.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Having a ton of fun with the android version, although even with a fairly big phone (nexus 6p) it gets kind of tricky due to lack of screen space/too many tiny things to tap on. But still probably the best mobile game I've played

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dear Trailer Guy: I'm sorry, but you aren't Will Stamper.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    So I've put about 12 hours into this now (mostly on mobile), and have just now gotten into the second biome. I had no idea the game was this big. Also, I'm beginning to suspect that the map is not as finite as I'd previously assumed. I walked in one direction for quite some time the other night and never found the end.

Also, the fishing. The fishing!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sell me on this, because it looks fairly brainless in the trailer.

Edit: hmm. You have to buy the game twice if you want to move between platforms?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'm a terrible salesman, so I'll instead just link you to a great impressions article on Kotaku that pretty well sums up much of what makes the game fun.

Bottom line, it's a cross-platform ARPG with crafting, base-building, a seemingly infinite world (not really, but it may as well be in practical terms), and tons of charm and humor to pull it all together. It's smashing fun.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    It's only cross platform if you buy it twice though. That's definitely a negative.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It's Don't Starve crossed with Terraria/Starbound and a touch of Minecraft. I mean ask me how long I've spent trying to arrange the lighting in my house?

It's good. $15 on desktop is reasonable, and this is probably the most gaming you'll ever get for 5 bucks on mobile/tablet. If you've got an iPad/iPhone, it's the same app, too, so one purchase for both.

My only complaint is that you have to manually sync the cloud save to the other platform; it's not automatic, but that's pretty minor honestly.

Edit: And you have to buy it on mobile largely because neither marketplace supports something like a Steam code, I expect. Promo codes are highly limited.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Yeah, it sounds like if there were a way to make it cross-platform between Steam, iOS, and Android, they would have done it. But as it is, there's no good way to handle this. So instead they just took their $20 game and split the cost up between desktop and mobile. I feel like that's a very reasonable solution, and it's well worth the full twenty bucks to buy it for both.

And of course, you don't have to buy it for both. Either one is the full version, so you aren't missing anything at all if you only buy it on one platform.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Yeah, $20 is the real price and it's cross platform is a compelling argument actually.

I also read about the creators and was like, "Ok, yeah, these guys can have my money."

Installing on my phone now.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I like the game a lot BUT

I hate the controls. Having to click everywhere is awful and getting me killed constantly.

Stop asking me to sign up for your fucking account every time I start a game. I'm not interested.

• Options
    Okay, I didn't realize the story behind the making of this game. Holy shit guys:

The Last Game I Make Before I Die.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Okay, I didn't realize the story behind the making of this game. Holy shit guys:

The Last Game I Make Before I Die.

Yeah. That's what I meant about reading about the makers and deciding to go for it. That's why I felt like it was worth it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Plus the whole team is super hot.

unnamed-720x440.jpg
    And how much do I love their corporate splash screen

this much