Options

The Middle East - US drops bombs in Syria, Afghanistan

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Didn't see any mention of it but ISIS wasted quite a few soccer supporters in Balad, Iraq, a couple of days ago. :sad:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Inevitably accusations of antisemitism go around whenever this comes up. Which is why I'm always careful to accuse the Likud party of hatred and fearmongering and not just Israel in general.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Inevitably accusations of antisemitism go around whenever this comes up. Which is why I'm always careful to accuse the Likud party of hatred and fearmongering and not just Israel in general.

We know they all think it but I've never seen it put quite so bluntly by an official before.

It probably started out as a cynical means of employing political correctness to deflect valid criticism but you repeat a lie often enough eventually you start believing it.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    fuck you Israel

you don't see the Armenians pulling those sorts of bullshit statements out of their asses do you

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Taking a page from Americans, I see

Just replace a couple of words!

"It is anti-Christian to criticize the Republican Party"

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Taking a page from Americans, I see

Just replace a couple of words!

"It is anti-Christian to criticize the Republican Party"

Israel has been claiming anti-semitism and using the holocaust to deflect criticism for decades.

The worlds just getting tired of their bullshit, so its no surprise to me they are doubling down on it..considering its the only defense they have for their reprehensible actions and behavior.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Casual wrote: »

We know they all think it but I've never seen it put quite so bluntly by an official before.

It probably started out as a cynical means of employing political correctness to deflect valid criticism but you repeat a lie often enough eventually you start believing it.
    To be fair, that's not actually her quote, but ThinkProgress's interpretation of her statements. Not that their interpretation is that far off base.

This sentiment always disturbs me. Conflation of Israel and the Jews is not only disrespectful to those Jews who aren't Israeli/don't want to be identified with Israel, but has the potential to further enflame actual antisemitism, to the extent that the conflation is successful and as a result of increasingly negative sentiment toward Israel's actions.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Kaputa wrote: »

To be fair, that's not actually her quote, but ThinkProgress's interpretation of her statements. Not that their interpretation is that far off base.

This sentiment always disturbs me. Conflation of Israel and the Jews is not only disrespectful to those Jews who aren't Israeli/don't want to be identified with Israel, but has the potential to further enlfame actual antisemitism, the extent that the conflation is successful and as a result of increasingly negative sentiment toward Israel's actions.

I have read various interviews with Ayelet Shaked before - admittedly, in English, but she is also apparently quite fluent - and I would say that 1) ThinkProgress is not misinterpreting her here, and 2) she does not seem to be someone who came to that position for political advantage but rather a true believer. If it is not immediately true that any criticism of Israel is anti-semitic, it's at least her goal to make it so.

hippofant on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

This sentiment always disturbs me. Conflation of Israel and the Jews is not only disrespectful to those Jews who aren't Israeli/don't want to be identified with Israel, but has the potential to further enlfame actual antisemitism, the extent that the conflation is successful and as a result of increasingly negative sentiment toward Israel's actions.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for non Israeli Jews who get tarred with the same brush. It must be seriously shitty to deal with the anti-sematism that idiots like Likud kick up because they're thugs hiding behind a religion.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

I have a huge amount of sympathy for non Israeli Jews who get tarred with the same brush. It must be seriously shitty to deal with the anti-sematism that idiots like Likud kick up because they're thugs hiding behind a religion.

The problem is bigger than Likud, seriously this was covered on the last page

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Oh and also in a Middle East round-up:
    Iranians pissed about the 2 Billion seizure Which I saw that coming. Its diplomatically dangerous for the US yes. But part of me goes what were the Iranians thinking? That they would be instant friends with the US? That kind of relationship change takes DECADES. And happens a hell of a lot easier when you don't have your hands up the ass of Hezbollah.
    Oh its even better, that money was deposited by the Ahmadinijad regime. Someone in a high leadership positiom Iran thought it would be a good idea to deposit 2 billion illegally through intermediaries in a US bank account around the same time John McCain was singing the bomb Iran song.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The 9/11 bill passed the Senate.

And they think they have enough votes to override a veto.

Hoo boy.

On the one hand, I hate the Saudi Arabian government. Just to bits. For reasons I have described before.

On the other hand, this is a giant can of worms. GIANT.

Rchanen on
  • Options

Hoo boy.

On the one hand, I hate the Saudi Arabian government. Just to bits. For reasons I have described before.

I wonder how many of these Senators also blocked the provision of AMERICAN funds to 9/11 rescue workers.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Another absurdly bloody day in Baghdad, with suicide bombings and car bombs/other IEDS killing scores, mostly in Shi'a neighborhoods. That article gives 77 as a toll, but I've also heard higher numbers. Sadr's forces are reportedly deployed on the streets now; from that article it sounds like Sadr City is pretty much under his control rather than that of the Iraqi Security Forces.

This shit is giving me flashbacks to the headlines I remember from a decade ago. :(

Kaputa on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Hoo boy.

Well, it was unanimous, so I'm going to go with, yeah they have the votes.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    You need 2/3 from each Chamber and a veto tends to result in less votes for the bill the second time around. So it wouldn't matter if 100% of the Senate said "yes," if less than 2/3 of the has House is on board. Granted, this also needs to go through the house before it hits Obama's desk and I wouldn't put it past the opportunistic ratfuckers that currently control it, to load it up with a bunch shit (granted it's pretty shitty to begin with) that makes the Senate democrats unwilling to support overriding the veto. I mean knowing those fuckers, they'll think they can get away with it by screaming "but terrorists and anyone that doesn't support this is supporting terrorist."

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    It's not all bad news in the MENA! I mean... noone's been killed yet, right? :(

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

This sentiment always disturbs me. Conflation of Israel and the Jews is not only disrespectful to those Jews who aren't Israeli/don't want to be identified with Israel, but has the potential to further enflame actual antisemitism, to the extent that the conflation is successful and as a result of increasingly negative sentiment toward Israel's actions.
    new antisemitism is actually a really interesting and thorny topic. i think that thinkprogress representation of her statements is at best ignorant - the wapo article at least seems to know the background on where her remarks are coming from (it uses new antisemitism for the headline although it doesn't delve into the topic for the actual article)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

new antisemitism is actually a really interesting and thorny topic. i think that thinkprogress representation of her statements is at best ignorant - the wapo article at least seems to know the background on where her remarks are coming from (it uses new antisemitism for the headline although it doesn't delve into the topic for the actual article)

I think the Wiki article pretty much nails the issue with "new antisemitism":
    Critics of the concept argue that it conflates anti-Zionism with antisemitism, defines legitimate criticism of Israel too narrowly and demonization too broadly, trivializes the meaning of antisemitism, and exploits antisemitism in order to silence political debate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_antisemitism

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Critics of the concept argue that it conflates anti-Zionism with antisemitism, defines legitimate criticism of Israel too narrowly and demonization too broadly, trivializes the meaning of antisemitism, and exploits antisemitism in order to silence political debate
    it's thorny because some-lots criticism of israel obviously comes from antisemites
    from the thinkprogress article
    Certainly, some criticisms of Israel veer into blatant anti-Semitic territory or have support from anti-Semitic individuals or factions, and anti-Semitism in general has not disappeared. At a pro-Palestinian protest in Germany in 2014, for example, the Washington Post noted that organizers had to line out a list of rules for demonstrators.
    “No burning the Israeli flag.
    Not antisemitic, fine
    No shouts of ‘Death to Israel.’
    not inherently antisemitic but deeply troubling either way
    And absolutely no repeating the slogan ‘Jew, Jew, cowardly pig, come out and fight alone’ — a rhyming chant in German that had become increasingly common at pro-Palestinian rallies here before being nipped in the bud by German authorities,” the Post reported
    blatant, wtf antisemitism

which is basically what the justice minister was actually saying -
    “In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel. It is the same anti-Semitism of blood libels, spreading lies, distorting reality and brainwashing people into hating Israel and the Jews,” Shaked told the Washington Post. “Today, it is not politically correct to be anti-Semitic but being anti-Israeli is acceptable. People who have such anti-Semitic views should not be allowed to hold central leadership positions.”
    - not that criticizing Israel is antisemitic, but that because antisemitism is no longer broadly acceptable, antisemites who want to maintain respectability have moved onto criticizing Israel (and you can say it is an attempt to conflate antisemitism and antizionism to delegitimize anti-Israel voices, which it is, but it's also not wrong). and that makes everything murky - is someone making a legitimate complaint about Israel for the 'right' reasons, or because they are antisemitic / have internalized antisemitic rhetoric (or, likely - both)?

• Options

it's thorny because some-lots criticism of israel obviously comes from antisemites
    Certainly, some criticisms of Israel veer into blatant anti-Semitic territory or have support from anti-Semitic individuals or factions, and anti-Semitism in general has not disappeared. At a pro-Palestinian protest in Germany in 2014, for example, the Washington Post noted that organizers had to line out a list of rules for demonstrators.
    Not antisemitic, fine
    And absolutely no repeating the slogan ‘Jew, Jew, cowardly pig, come out and fight alone’ — a rhyming chant in German that had become increasingly common at pro-Palestinian rallies here before being nipped in the bud by German authorities,” the Post reported

“In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel. It is the same anti-Semitism of blood libels, spreading lies, distorting reality and brainwashing people into hating Israel and the Jews,” Shaked told the Washington Post. “Today, it is not politically correct to be anti-Semitic but being anti-Israeli is acceptable. People who have such anti-Semitic views should not be allowed to hold central leadership positions.”
    - not that criticizing Israel is antisemitic, but that because antisemitism is no longer broadly acceptable, antisemites who want to maintain respectability have moved onto criticizing Israel (and you can say it is an attempt to conflate antisemitism and antizionism to delegitimize anti-Israel voices, which it is, but it's also not wrong). and that makes everything murky - is someone making a legitimate complaint about Israel for the 'right' reasons, or because they are antisemitic / have internalized antisemitic rhetoric (or, likely - both)?

That is not at all how the statement reads or what it says imo.
    "In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel. It is the same anti-Semitism of blood libels, spreading lies, distorting reality and brainwashing people into hating Israel and the Jews,” Shaked told the Washington Post. “Today, it is not politically correct to be anti-Semitic but being anti-Israeli is acceptable. People who have such anti-Semitic views should not be allowed to hold central leadership positions."

This is a clear straight-forward attempt to say that anti-Israel talk is the same as old school anti-semitism. She direct compares it to shit like blood libel. At no point is there any clarification that what she's saying is that anti-Israel sentiment is just a cover for anti-semitism but that anti-Israel sentiment is totally valid on it's own. At no point is she actually making that point. All she's actually saying there is "anti-Israel talk is just the new politically correct anti-semitism". She directly makes the accusation in the last paragraph.

You are reading things into the statement that are not there in the parts quoted.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    It seems like it would be really easy for the goverment of Israel to seperate legitimate criticism from veiled anitsemitism. Just stop acting like neofascist shitbags and it should become obvious. The best way to sort out bigots from people with legitimate anger is to eliminate the reasons for the anger and see who is left.

• Options

Not antisemitic, fine

"In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel. It is the same anti-Semitism of blood libels, spreading lies, distorting reality and brainwashing people into hating Israel and the Jews,” Shaked told the Washington Post. “Today, it is not politically correct to be anti-Semitic but being anti-Israeli is acceptable. People who have such anti-Semitic views should not be allowed to hold central leadership positions."

This is a clear straight-forward attempt to say that anti-Israel talk is the same as old school anti-semitism. She direct compares it to shit like blood libel. At no point is there any clarification that what she's saying is that anti-Israel sentiment is just a cover for anti-semitism but that anti-Israel sentiment is totally valid on it's own. At no point is she actually making that point. All she's actually saying there is "anti-Israel talk is just the new politically correct anti-semitism". She directly makes the accusation in the last paragraph.

You are reading things into the statement that are not there in the parts quoted.
    it's almost like there's a broader context to the remarks that would helpful to understanding them. (and do you really expect a gov't official to say "well of course it's entirely legitimate to think Israel sucks" and engage in the level of nuance you want?)

• Options

Not antisemitic, fine

it's almost like there's a broader context to the remarks that would helpful to understanding them. (and do you really expect a gov't official to say "well of course it's entirely legitimate to think Israel sucks" and engage in the level of nuance you want?)

What is that broader context exactly? Cause the broader context to me seems to be that this statement is part of a longstanding attempt to paint criticism of the state of Israel as anti-semitic in order to deflect it.

Nothing in her statements or their context indicates she didn't mean exactly what she said and not the other thing you wish she had said.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I missed it the first time through, but she's saying 'anti-Israeli', not 'anti-Israel'. That's a pretty big difference.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I missed it the first time through, but she's saying 'anti-Israeli', not 'anti-Israel'. That's a pretty big difference.

She says both and uses them interchangeably:
    In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel.

• Options

In the past, we saw European leaders speaking against the Jews. Now, we see them speaking against Israel.

Yeah, that quote is BS.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Another absurdly bloody day in Baghdad, with suicide bombings and car bombs/other IEDS killing scores, mostly in Shi'a neighborhoods. That article gives 77 as a toll, but I've also heard higher numbers. Sadr's forces are reportedly deployed on the streets now; from that article it sounds like Sadr City is pretty much under his control rather than that of the Iraqi Security Forces.

This shit is giving me flashbacks to the headlines I remember from a decade ago. :(

I think we may still be here around 2023. Except the popular political narrative for the initial invasion of Iraq will be even more divorced from reality, the actual leadership involved will be largely exonerated by disinterest.

But I'm a pessimist, and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular

I now have an opportunity to discuss my uncle on topic!

My uncle used to be a moonbat. Between 'Nam and the Bush Era a few screws went loose, but he was a nice witchy man who thought that all folk were one folk 'cause Babel and shit. He didn't hate Muslims until Obama was elected, so, yeah.

Now he has demented race theories, but it's okay because he's totally Jewish. Not only is he saying he's Jewish-Neanderthal-Aryan, but he's also claiming to be descended of Israel's priestly caste. He and his peers are building their own reconstruction of Judaism that ignores actually existing Judaism for what Evangelical assholes think it is. They ran a real Rabbi back out to Colorado. But, the thing that surprises me is how quickly they went from "We're real Christians because we're going back to the source." to "Any religion based on human sacrifice is wrong and the BLOOD DRINKERS want to enslave you to their queerofascist agenda!". I mean, I knew when Christianity stopped being useful they'd dump it in a ditch and start a new religion just for them, but I didn't expect it to be so quick. They're talking about "the people of Shem" and saying "real Jews aren't Semites".

Anyway, there are folk in Israel validating this shit. He tells me he can go to Israel and get in as a citizen, and I don't doubt him. When Bibi blamed Palestinians for the Holocaust, he knew what he was doing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Now let's look at another minister.

Sure, he probably said that metaphorically... but why would you even say such a thing?

• Options

My uncle used to be a moonbat. Between 'Nam and the Bush Era a few screws went loose, but he was a nice witchy man who thought that all folk were one folk 'cause Babel and shit. He didn't hate Muslims until Obama was elected, so, yeah.

Now he has demented race theories, but it's okay because he's totally Jewish. Not only is he saying he's Jewish-Neanderthal-Aryan, but he's also claiming to be descended of Israel's priestly caste. He and his peers are building their own reconstruction of Judaism that ignores actually existing Judaism for what Evangelical assholes think it is. They ran a real Rabbi back out to Colorado. But, the thing that surprises me is how quickly they went from "We're real Christians because we're going back to the source." to "Any religion based on human sacrifice is wrong and the BLOOD DRINKERS want to enslave you to their queerofascist agenda!". I mean, I knew when Christianity stopped being useful they'd dump it in a ditch and start a new religion just for them, but I didn't expect it to be so quick. They're talking about "the people of Shem" and saying "real Jews aren't Semites".

Anyway, there are folk in Israel validating this shit. He tells me he can go to Israel and get in as a citizen, and I don't doubt him. When Bibi blamed Palestinians for the Holocaust, he knew what he was doing.

Jewish-Neanderthal-Aryan

Jewish because it's old school, Aryan because that's how crazy racial talk goes, but Neanderthal?

And I would be surprised, but not too surprised, if he would be able to get Israeli citizenship. Their demographic and birthrate situation means they're probably looking to bolster the non-Palestinian population numbers anyway they can.

• Options

This also ignores the long period of time in between during which European leaders never criticized Israel. If the world's new critcism of Israel seems sudden, maybe that's more because they chewed up everybody's goodwill/patience.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

I don't even understand what I'm reading. The words are... recognizable as English, but I can't comprehend them in their given order. Am I having a stroke?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    A trustworthy Swiss newspaper has just reported that the plane has indeed crashed, though I haven't found this confirmed elsewhere yet.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    Avigdor Lieberman is in as Israel's new defense minister. Bloody hell.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-netanyahu-politics-idUSKCN0YA1DA

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

I don't even understand what I'm reading. The words are... recognizable as English, but I can't comprehend them in their given order. Am I having a stroke?

He started out saying "My uncle used to be a moonbat." So, I don't even think all of the words are english.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »

He started out saying "My uncle used to be a moonbat." So, I don't even think all of the words are english.

Moonbat was a derogatory term for a Liberal back in the day.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Avigdor fucking Lieberman? Wow. They just.. continue not giving a fuck I guess.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.