As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Nuka World out now. Better mascots than you have tried!

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So last night I was doing one of those post-game Railroad radiant missions where you have to assassinate the leaders of the L&L gang.

The location chosen for the quest as Kendall Hospital, which is unique among raider dungeons in that the boss of the dungeon is not a raider, but rather a Deathclaw that the raiders have been keeping in their basement and feeding prisoners to.

These assassination style radiant quests always spawn your target in the same room as the dungeon's boss.

So as soon as I entered the building, I received a message telling me that I successfully killed my target and to report back to Desdemona.

Whelp.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Another job well done!

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    "Mission report: Boss killed in attempt to save face after lieutenant double dog dared him to fight deathclaw bare handed."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I haven't played this game since the main quest bugged out on me back in like December.

I hope it's been fixed and I hope all my mods aren't broken

Every time I think "I should really get back to Fallout 4" my brain automatically follows up with "Or I could play some more New Vegas or Wasteland 2" and then I don't get back to Fallout 4.

Odd. I enjoyed Skyrim well enough, but I keep bouncing off Fallout 4.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    So what I said earlier of the update tagging your saves now as modded and/or survival. Modded saves apparently disable achievements.

Wait, so the fact that I got sick of the same songs over and over and installed an expanded radio mod means I will never get any achievements now?

If that's the case, my desire to finish the main quest line just went from 'almost none' to 'no fucking point'

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I feel like I've had the opposite experience with fallout 4, I can recognise it's flaws, but I've played it a shitload, and done every single quest and found every location, which there are a tonne of, more than most Bethesda games. I've easily spent the most time with it of any Bethesda game, probably because of the settlement system. It's not buggy for me on the Xbox one either, very few crashes or glitches compared to other Bethesda games so I've been lucky. I think I have about 240 hours total playtime spread across 2 characters.

I think the combat and exploration has kept me the most involved, there are more visually varied environments and more to do with junk and combat, and the fact that you can keep levelling up so there's always a new perk I want.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    So what I said earlier of the update tagging your saves now as modded and/or survival. Modded saves apparently disable achievements.

Wait, so the fact that I got sick of the same songs over and over and installed an expanded radio mod means I will never get any achievements now?

If that's the case, my desire to finish the main quest line just went from 'almost none' to 'no fucking point'

"The Creation Kit's release was slightly delayed by the need to first drop this massive 'f*** you' to everyone who enjoys playing our games with mods."

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular

One of the hot files on nexus right now is a mod that re-enables achievements, uses the fallout script extender though. I may give this a break anyway because ever since the update the game seems to randomly turn off some of my plugins. I load a save and it gives me a warning that content is missing, so I check nexus mod manager and some of my plugins are unchecked. Even though I enabled them all after the 1.5 patch and mod manager updates.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jesus bethesda. Your power trip is starting to get ridiculous. I guess I won't be buying another fallout game unless Obsidian makes it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    This is a complete 180˚ from Bethesda's usual achievement policy.

It must be some kind of prerequisite for their plan to get mods on consoles in the future, right?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    This is a complete 180˚ from Bethesda's usual achievement policy.

It must be some kind of prerequisite for their plan to get mods on consoles in the future, right?

Eh, that's a sloppy implementation if so. The achievement dinger-o-matic should be able to figure out if you're on console or PC, and behave accordingly.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Jesus bethesda. Your power trip is starting to get ridiculous. I guess I won't be buying another fallout game unless Obsidian makes it.

Bethesda is on the fast track to Ubisoft level terribleness.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I don't think Bethesda makes enough stuff to do their own Origin/UbiClub thing, but then again, there's Rockstar Social Club.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I don't think Bethesda makes enough stuff to do their own Origin/UbiClub thing, but then again, there's Rockstar Social Club.

Blizz's battle.net launcher thing only has six games. Even so, I imagine Beth see it as more an investment in the future to keep control over their ecosystem (and definitely not a leadup to the return of paid mods an endorsed community creations system).

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    These Railroad radiant quests are getting weird.

PAM sent me to shoot down a Vertibird... which spawned in the Glowing Sea. All I had to do was shoot down the actual ship itself, as the crew was already dead from radiation poisoning.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    if that actually happens i am officially off the bethesda train.

until the next elder scrolls game comes out.

maybe.

unless it sucks.

i'll probably try it at a friend's house or something first.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to trying the new survival mode.
    4 hours in and it's pretty ok.
    Scrapper perk seems fairly useless now, i'm drowning in bullets (possibly becomes more useful as i start using automatic weapons later in game), needing food and water is nice, but the frequency of it is not (water would not be an issue if not for the weight).
    But the only thing really bad about it is the lack of saving, i am always either looking for the next bed, or walking back to a previous one.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    if that actually happens i am officially off the bethesda train.

Ditto.

EDIT - from the Steam thread:
    "We don't want to pay Valve 30%", basically.

Alternately, "We don't want to pay Valve 30% of every game purchase plus X% of every mod purchase when we inevitably try paid modding again".

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Suriko wrote: »
    Take with a grain of salt, but this wouldn't surprise me at this point. Official Bethesda games launcher, mod management integrated, future Beth games leaving Steam.

If true, well, I guess I'd already largely given up on them after F4.
    Wonder how many mods will I have to install to fix the launcher.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Take with a grain of salt, but this wouldn't surprise me at this point. Official Bethesda games launcher, mod management integrated, future Beth games leaving Steam.

Wonder how many mods will I have to install to fix the launcher.
    seven, but you're locked out of your account if you use them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wow I didn't know steam games give up that much of a cut to Valve.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Playing FO4 lately, I've found myself spending a lot of time wishing it was New Vegas.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Nyssjan wrote:
    Finally got around to trying the new survival mode.
    4 hours in and it's pretty ok.
    Scrapper perk seems fairly useless now, i'm drowning in bullets (possibly becomes more useful as i start using automatic weapons later in game), needing food and water is nice, but the frequency of it is not (water would not be an issue if not for the weight).
    But the only thing really bad about it is the lack of saving, i am always either looking for the next bed, or walking back to a previous one.

I actually really like the new survival mode. I feel like it actually gives the settlement stuff some meaning outside of just building stuff purely for vanity's sake. Lead belly is super useful by the way, if you're having issues with the weight of food/water. Once you max it out, you can cut down some of your weight by carrying a minimum amount of food and water, and just drinking whatever food or water you find in the field, since you can't get irradiated by eating or drinking by that point. As far as drowning in bullets go, I found it useful to just sell off my excess ammo and use the extra money to purchase shipments of building materials for settlements. Once you get a good network of well defended settlements and supply routes it becomes much easier to regularly dump excess supplies and save regularly.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    People really seem to have this whole "paid mod" thing stuck in their craw. Is there any actual evidence they're going that way, other than conspiracy theories based upon their new mod management system?

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Also: there's absolutely nothing wrong with paid mods. Bethesda's implementation last time was severly lacking, but the idea is solid.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    People really seem to have this whole "paid mod" thing stuck in their craw. Is there any actual evidence they're going that way, other than conspiracy theories based upon their new mod management system?

Bethesda already tried it once and then backed off. No reason to think they won't try again, especially since setting up the tech infrastructure for it on a brand new game (as opposed to one that's been out for years and has a crapton of mods) might let them succeed.

There is so much modding for Bethesda games that I think the urge to try and monetize that is just impossible to resist. Any talk of golden geese falls on deaf ears because of the scale of the modding scene.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

If that happens I'm literally done with Bethesda.

Only reason I ever really gave a shit about them was Fallout, anyways..and they've hardly been the best caretakers of it. Other games were just picked up on the ultra cheap for modding shenanigans.

I'd love to see them try to push updates on steam to their games to forcibly migrate people to the Beth launcher, that'd be an absolutely wonderful shitshow.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

One of the hot files on nexus right now is a mod that re-enables achievements, uses the fallout script extender though. I may give this a break anyway because ever since the update the game seems to randomly turn off some of my plugins. I load a save and it gives me a warning that content is missing, so I check nexus mod manager and some of my plugins are unchecked. Even though I enabled them all after the 1.5 patch and mod manager updates.

I've been using the Script Extender since it released, before it really did much of anything. Still, I really give no fucks, because achievements are meaningless to me and I think it'd actually be funnier that Bethesda would look at their games and see basically no one getting any achievements because they're all using mods.

I'm totally not down with paid mods though... not because I'm against people getting money for their work, but I'm not going to be told I have to pay for shit that fixes Bethesda's game and for which I may get absolutely no support when I download the mod and it doesn't work or gets out-dated. I can see why BethSoft is seeing dollar signs when they look at the vast number of mods out there in the community, but I think they should stay the fuck out of it.

• Options

I've been using the Script Extender since it released, before it really did much of anything. Still, I really give no fucks, because achievements are meaningless to me and I think it'd actually be funnier that Bethesda would look at their games and see basically no one getting any achievements because they're all using mods.

I'm totally not down with paid mods though... not because I'm against people getting money for their work, but I'm not going to be told I have to pay for shit that fixes Bethesda's game and for which I may get absolutely no support when I download the mod and it doesn't work or gets out-dated. I can see why BethSoft is seeing dollar signs when they look at the vast number of mods out there in the community, but I think they should stay the fuck out of it.

Achievements in Bethesda games irritate me because they are buggy even at the best of times without mods.

They super fucking piss me off when I do something and it doesn't trigger the achievement. I couldn't give a shit about them, but its infuriating when it wont even work, even if you do the same goddamn event across multiple characters.

Only thing worse than achievements is putting in achievements that wont fire when you do the trigger.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    For mods to be worth paying, we'd need to have lot more quality control and technical support on them.
    Sure, some definitely would be worth it, but overall, i am not going to be paying for mods people make mostly for their own use or for fun, or for the challenge, and then share with the community.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    For mods to be worth paying, we'd need to have lot more quality control and technical support on them.
    Sure, some definitely would be worth it, but overall, i am not going to be paying for mods people make mostly for their own use or for fun, or for the challenge, and then share with the community.

and I'm sure as fuck not going to pay for a mod that ends up being shit/buggy/unknowingly incompatable with something else then be stuck with it and out the money forever.

Paid mods are a massive clusterfuck and they'll be dealing with an insane amount of refunds/chargebacks if they do it.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So people are up in arms because Bethesda wants to do what Steam did? Or am I missing something? It's Steam's fault we have all these launchers, amazing we don't have more already.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So people are up in arms because Bethesda wants to do what Steam did? Or am I missing something? It's Steam's fault we have all these launchers, amazing we don't have more already.

Having a small ecosystem with no competition is not the same thing as Steam at all.

Steam at least has many different publishers creating competition for better products and service and strongarming steam itself into providing better service.

With a launcher that's limited to one publisher, it not only splits your customers off from the general public..Thus reducing the possible influx of new customers from word of mouth or sales, it also creates an ecosystem where the publisher is a tyrant which dictates abhorrent terms to the playerbase.

Then again Ubisoft proves that gamers are stupid idiots and will continue to buy their products regardless of how fuckawful they are as a company and the multitude of ways they try and do fuck over the customers. So Bethesda's fuckery will probably be a rousing success.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    daveNYC wrote: »

Bethesda already tried it once and then backed off. No reason to think they won't try again, especially since setting up the tech infrastructure for it on a brand new game (as opposed to one that's been out for years and has a crapton of mods) might let them succeed.

There is so much modding for Bethesda games that I think the urge to try and monetize that is just impossible to resist. Any talk of golden geese falls on deaf ears because of the scale of the modding scene.

Okay, but is there any evidence other than a previous fail at introducing paid mods? I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying that nobody but them has any clue as to whether we'll see paid mods, and yet the entire internet is up in arms about it.

edit: and if monetization was their only goal, why release the GECK for free? They could have made money off that.

Ender on
  • Options

Okay, but is there any evidence other than a previous fail at introducing paid mods? I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying that nobody but them has any clue as to whether we'll see paid mods, and yet the entire internet is up in arms about it.

edit: and if monetization was their only goal, why release the GECK for free? They could have made money off that.

Why. Release the tools for free then monetize what everyone creates. Sounds pretty goddamn businesslike to me.

Also the internet needs to be up and arms about it, even if its just a rumor, to show Bethesda we're still just as fucking pissed about it as last time and that time hasn't tempered our vitriol against it, So they get no stupid ideas.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well, quality control and technical support from a Bethesda standpoint...

Would we end up with free mods to fix the paid mods that fix the base game?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i don't know that bethesda would be able to just go "ok every mod is monetized get fucked"

like...

how are they gonna stop the mod nexus?

legal action?

say goodbye to your entire fucking pc fanbase nerds.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

First one's free...

• Options
    i don't know that bethesda would be able to just go "ok every mod is monetized get fucked"

like...

how are they gonna stop the mod nexus?

legal action?

say goodbye to your entire fucking pc fanbase nerds.

Simple.

patch the game to require an encrypted validation to load .esp/.esm/etc, then give the key to anyone willing to play ball.